Protests following the killing of George Floyd

Fully Fledged

feck this. I can't stand that. Whatever his reasoning is, no need to danger a kid facing those polices (in this current climate). Just fecking poor parenting.
Don't you realise how fecked up this is? You shouldn't be able to endanger a kid by bringing them near a police officer. The safest place for a kid in any neighbourhood should be standing next to a pol;ice officer.

edcunited1878

Will the job changes you though? I don't think anyone joining the police are looking to brutalize people from the get go
Did it used to be or is it still the case that a fair number of recruits come from the military and I'm sure they are screened very effectively but perhaps the odd one who enjoys confrontation gets through. Then there are the inadequate ones who might normally be desk bound (I'm sure I noticed a fairly obese cop popping away with a bean bag gun on a vid) who is a bit unreliable.

Otherwise it is being encouraged by their President to get their yearly target practice completed on moving targets.
I think in America in particular that is exactly what is happening. Imagine knowing you can get a job with no qualifications, have little to no discipline, get relatively well paid, progress and get paid more, carry guns, drive cars fast, smash peoples doors in, get into fights and then on top of that never be held accountable when you feck up. Imagine the sorts that will appeal to. It's a sad but real consequence that a lot of men will join the police purely for the power. The only way you stop this is via a stricter recruitment policy.
Something that's happening in the UK. Dunno how many are aware but in the UK it is now compulsory to have a degree to be a police officer. You can join without one but you have to undergo studying for the first three years and attain a degree in policing. Now that's not going to solve all the problems at that recruitment stage but it will definitely weed out a significant amount of what I can only to describe as'wrong uns'. I can't see certain brutes and cowboys being happy to study and write essays in their time off work to become a police officer. Doubt America will ever adapt such a policy though.
Joining the police in the U.S., especially if you are part of a larger metro city PD (e.g. NYC, SF, LA, D.C., Chicago, etc.) does change you. It's near impossible not to change you because you see what humans are capable of doing and it goes pretty much against what you believe and know growing up or usually have witnessed first-hand. Assuming you're 22 or 23 when you join, that's still a really, really young age. Physical, emotional, intellectual, and real world inexperience. Then you're put into an institution such as public law enforcement, it's a complete mind feck. Your reality is much different than others and you see things differently.

Recruits still come from backgrounds of basic training, which includes Sheriff's Departments and all military. It's a natural path way because of the use of language/terms, basic training, hierarchy structure, etc. However, just like the military has evolved within the past decade, at least, having degrees and post-high school education helps significantly. And knowing a second or third language. There are young recruits, mostly men, who do get the rush of blood and arrogant feeling, but that doesn't mean they are left for their own. Many people also join the police in their mid to late 20s as a last ditch effort to get a career going that provides stability, men and women.

One thing that plagues police departments, which is then transferred or expressed, towards the public is the lack of internal support for PTSD, consistent emotional/psychological support, and more immersive training the more time they stay in the force. Physically, they usually decline, but mentally and socially, they stay the same. They don't learn what's going on in the community or how to adapt, relate. And how those learnings of civilian life should translate into how they police more effectively and efficiently. They live in their own bubble and when they don't step out from behind the badge and out of their bubble, they aren't vulnerable. They stop learning and knowing what their civic duty really means. Without this, it's about protecting the badge and the "Blue Lives Matters" becomes very tribalistic, which can be a problem.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
How does it feel for white people when they see unlawful police brutality against another white person, in this case a white lady?
Does it feel different to seeing unlawful police brutality against a black person?

Wonder what % of US white person are becoming anti police because of what has happened in past 8 days. Eg: how will the MAGA tribe view this?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Seems like they've possibly located our biker friend. The moobs are a dead giveaway.

Fully Fledged

No, but i wouldnt have gotten out of the car to remonstrate with the police in what seemed like a dangerous situation.

If you really care about your family you put them first before your pride.

if i had done what he'd done my wife would have given me all kinds of hell.
Okay' so in the so called 'Land of The Free,' if a guy gets out of a car that has just been shot at with tear gas canisters and says that there is a pregnant woman in the the car I would expect the police to send over a medic to make sure the pregnant woman was okay.

If the country was not 'The Land of The Free' but a really fecked up dictatorship I would expect the police to realise that the incident was being recorded and at least stop firing tear gas at the car with a pregnant woman in it. Under no circumstances would I expect a right minded human-being to continue firing tear gas into a car that might have a pregnant woman in it.

There is no rational situation that the man telling the police that there is a pregnant women in the car should/would result in further tear gas canisters being shot at the car.

Amarsdd

How does it feel for white people when they see unlawful police brutality against another white person, in this case a white lady?
Does it feel different to seeing unlawful police brutality against a black person?

Wonder what % of US white person are becoming anti police because of what has happened in past 8 days. Eg: how will the MAGA tribe view this?
Police bringing justice to this proud nation by eliminating antifa

Amarsdd

This is great. Nob head getting wound up while they all chant peaceful :lol:

if that was a black or even a brown guy, I guess every one here knows what would have happened when the cop arrived at the end of the video.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Pic from another angle (not pretty)...

Chunk of his head blown open. Surely some lawyer can get the guy a settlement.
Why are they shooting a guy ion a wheelchair? Anyone know the context - What excuse did the cops give?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I'm going to become a Charles Murray IQ guy but for onservatives, they are the dumbest people alive.

(and yes i checked the rest of her feed this is not parody. screenshot since she might delete).

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Juggalos on the left vs Boogaloos on the right....that’s a hell of a civil war. The great ’JuggaBooga’ war.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I just got back from the local demonstration in this 'white bread' community that I live in. There were a lot of young people there with their handwritten signs. Encouraging to see. Also kind of amazing - it just goes to show how angry people are at the system.
Most of the cops were standing back as it was quite peaceful but every now and again the 20 or so motorbike cops would drive up and down past the demonstrators. To me it looked like they were trying to goad them into doing 'something', or just to project their power.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Joining the police in the U.S., especially if you are part of a larger metro city PD (e.g. NYC, SF, LA, D.C., Chicago, etc.) does change you. It's near impossible not to change you because you see what humans are capable of doing and it goes pretty much against what you believe and know growing up or usually have witnessed first-hand. Assuming you're 22 or 23 when you join, that's still a really, really young age. Physical, emotional, intellectual, and real world inexperience. Then you're put into an institution such as public law enforcement, it's a complete mind feck. Your reality is much different than others and you see things differently.

Recruits still come from backgrounds of basic training, which includes Sheriff's Departments and all military. It's a natural path way because of the use of language/terms, basic training, hierarchy structure, etc. However, just like the military has evolved within the past decade, at least, having degrees and post-high school education helps significantly. And knowing a second or third language. There are young recruits, mostly men, who do get the rush of blood and arrogant feeling, but that doesn't mean they are left for their own. Many people also join the police in their mid to late 20s as a last ditch effort to get a career going that provides stability, men and women.

One thing that plagues police departments, which is then transferred or expressed, towards the public is the lack of internal support for PTSD, consistent emotional/psychological support, and more immersive training the more time they stay in the force. Physically, they usually decline, but mentally and socially, they stay the same. They don't learn what's going on in the community or how to adapt, relate. And how those learnings of civilian life should translate into how they police more effectively and efficiently. They live in their own bubble and when they don't step out from behind the badge and out of their bubble, they aren't vulnerable. They stop learning and knowing what their civic duty really means. Without this, it's about protecting the badge and the "Blue Lives Matters" becomes very tribalistic, which can be a problem.
The fear based training and police unions are a massive problem and the cause of a lot of disconnect. Not to mention underlying racism in many areas including urban areas.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

From the Unit, not the PD.

Last edited: