Protests following the killing of George Floyd

caid

Falling off a horse that size tends to cause problems, leaving aside getting clotheslined by a traffic light. Hope they're ok.

ChaddyP

And people claiming that as a defence also go for a 40 mile drive to test their eyesight.

More seriously, of course you're right, eg Ryan Giggs.
Holy shit... I just googled after reading this. I had no clue Ryan was mixed race.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Thanks, but I guess I didn't realise what all lives matter meant and that it's being used by people against the blm group, so I was a bit ignorant of that. I just want equality and all lives to be protected etc. I never wanted to be mixed anyway, I wish I was fully white or brown too. I say I'm white british to help me feel that I fit in to that category, and I'm more european looking anyway, so I do pass. And it's confusing to get racism from black and white people haha. Oh well. I think you are right about the thread, but it just shows everybody is stressed and upset about our lives. We should be helping and supporting each other, but we end up taking our frustrations out on each other. Thanks for your post, I needed that Gareth.
From a friend's Facebook. This should really explain it.

fergieisold

I think the issue is a lot of people these days aren’t actually racist so the concept is really hard to understand. Black and white is the same...infact these days I almost hate having to have it pointed out that there is a difference and we need to be careful to avoid racism as if it’s some sneaky disease.

MoskvaRed

Holy shit... I just googled after reading this. I had no clue Ryan was mixed race.
I think Ryan’s dad was mixed race himself. He was a Welsh rugby union player who came up north to play rugby league for Swinton. He had no relationship with his father after he left his mother which is perhaps why you never knew. Ryan was a model husband of course...

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus

"Have you ever seen someone counter a breast cancer post with what about colon cancer?"

I have, from gamers unsurprisingly. Overwatch released a skin for a character with proceeds going to breast cancer research and there was a backlash of "Do one for prostate cancer!"

There will always be "But what about....." people.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I think the issue is a lot of people these days aren’t actually racist so the concept is really hard to understand. Black and white is the same...infact these days I almost hate having to have it pointed out that there is a difference and we need to be careful to avoid racism as if it’s some sneaky disease.
With respect, it seems like you're missing the point then, considering you're posting in a thread regarding protests over a) the killing of a specific black man and b) the systemic racism that is very much still a thing in American society. This comes right after the vigilante killing of another black man which was initially ruled lawful, and was only investigated further because a video showed up. A witness statement now has one of the killers shouting "fecking nigger" after shooting.

Maybe you're post-racism, but clearly not everyone is.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I would say that a lot of people are racist but they don't understand the concept because it's normal for them, systemic racism isn't as brash as lynching parties and using racism terms openly. What you are describing is very naive, people from minorities see racism on a daily basis.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Fox News picks the wrong rich white guy to interview in Los Angeles

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
"Have you ever seen someone counter a breast cancer post with what about colon cancer?"

I have, from gamers unsurprisingly. Overwatch released a skin for a character with proceeds going to breast cancer research and there was a backlash of "Do one for prostate cancer!"

There will always be "But what about....." people.
That's ridiculous and sadly unsurprisingly. Reminds me of this one:

coolredwine

lameredboots
Wrong question at the wrong time maybe...but why are European cities protesting? I mean I understand solidarity and stuff and France has had its own cases when it comes to violence by the cops and racism but surely there might be other bigger concerns...like the pandemic, or the pro-democracy movement in HK?

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Wrong question at the wrong time maybe...but why are European cities protesting? I mean I understand solidarity and stuff and France has had its own cases when it comes to violence by the cops and racism but surely there might be other bigger concerns...like the pandemic, or the pro-democracy movement in HK?
The Hong Kong protests bigger than the systemic racism in Western society that goes back centuries? Bloody hell, the media sure do a good job of brainwashing people.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Well, in Ireland it's to get out of the house and for instagram likes.

Classical Mechanic

Also mixed race (1/4 Jamaican)

Ryan is more surprising because his dad is black. If you read his autobiography his siblings and cousins bullied him for being the only white one. Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine is similar. I heard him describe himself as a black man which surprised me. His dad was a diplomat from Kenya.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
You have to wonder what Derek Chauvin is thinking at the moment.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
The Hong Kong protests bigger than the systemic racism in Western society that goes back centuries? Bloody hell, the media sure do a good job of brainwashing people.
For the people in Hong Kong, Im sure it is.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
You have to wonder what Derek Chauvin is thinking at the moment.
Well, he's probably not over-concerned about people breaking in and lynching him; can't think why?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I was told Jamaican isn't a race any time I tried to put it on forms
Well, I've put my foot in it now!

Ryan is more surprising because his dad is black. If you read his autobiography his siblings and cousins bullied him for being the only white one. Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine is similar. I heard him describe himself as a black man which surprised me. His dad was a diplomat from Kenya.
He's distantly related to Jomo Kenyatta, first Kenyan president

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Yup, thanks for redundant assumptions and for such an insightful reply.
I’m sorry but if you believe the HK protests merit more attention in countries like France and UK than the George Floyd murder I can only commend the media for continuing to do such a good job of manufacturing consent.

Cloud7

I think Ryan’s dad was mixed race himself. He was a Welsh rugby union player who came up north to play rugby league for Swinton. He had no relationship with his father after he left his mother which is perhaps why you never knew. Ryan was a model husband of course...
Didn't think this would be the thread I'd be learning about Ryan Giggs ancestry in, but wow, I genuinely had no idea he was mixed. Pretty cool fun fact.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
That wasn't the point made, he talked about European countries.
Oh yeah. Thanks for correction!

Well its obviously because people in Euro cities have more empathy and feel more strongly about BLM than HK protests, because its a bigger issue in those countries!

coolredwine

lameredboots
I’m sorry but if you believe the HK protests merit more attention in countries like France and UK than the George Floyd murder I can only commend the media for continuing to do such a good job of manufacturing consent.
:lol: believe it or not - the protests have taken over the entire media space. Even the pandemic is now a backstory.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Fuji are US Police bicycle provider

Fuji’s core values have always been rooted in supporting communities and organizations that are making real change at home and abroad.
To hear that there are instances where bicycles have been used as a weapon against those who are vulnerable, those speaking out against the unjust treatment of people of color, and those standing alongside them advocating change, has deeply upset our community, our company and the heart of the Fuji brand. We support many diverse organizations and athletes--not for marketing stories, but because we truly want to make a difference in our community. To have these efforts overshadowed by cases of violence with bicycles is unacceptable.