Protests following the killing of George Floyd

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I attending in London and it was a peaceful protest. In fact it only kicked off later on when most people had started leaving. That also coincided with when the police presence increased. Many people protested at Parliament square and marched down to the US Embassy without any issues or problems.

Ludens the Red

I attending in London and it was a peaceful protest. In fact it only kicked off later on when most people had started leaving. That also coincided with when the police presence increased. Many people protested at Parliament square and marched down to the US Embassy without any issues or problems.
Just an explanation on that but with protests the very little violence there is tends to take place as the evening wears on and as most of the law abiding protestors leave. That is why the police presence increases. Its no coincidence.

Foxbatt

The protests are not only about black lives anymore. It's more about police brutality for everyone as what they are doing to everyone of all races. The catalyst was the murder of Floyd.

There are many white politicians in the USA who had tried to change and put checks on the police but the police unions are so strong they get rid of these politicians or scare them. In once case in an area they started not to attend any 911 calls. The only way any change can be brought is at federal level. When you have Trump they know they have someone who is a huge supporter of their brutal authoritarian ways.
So these protests are one way of putting pressure on the law makers to bring in laws to protect the general public.

fergieisold

For people complaining that the protesters should wait until the pandemic is over is either missing the point or being willfully ignorant of the very reason why it's happening right now.
The time for any such thing is extremely important. The murder of Mr. Floyd by the police is what pushed things over the edge
In 3 months time everyone would have forgotten it just like it has to previous murders of innocent people by the police.
That's why it's happening now. The protests around the world is going to have a collective effort in this change.
Rubbish. We are in the middle of a lockdown, BLM have been totally irresponsible. People will die because of their actions, there’s no escaping that. There seems to be a lot of people out there that don’t understand that you can be appalled by George floyds death and the protests.

TheReligion

Abusive
fcuk. Really hope he is OK. Poor man didn't deserve that at all.

However, it's his superiors who are at fault for having cops on horses. Simply no need.
Yeah it's not the fault of the people throwing bottles and a flare at the cops who weren't wearing protection. It's definitely nothing to do with that.

Foxbatt

Rubbish. We are in the middle of a lockdown, BLM have been totally irresponsible. People will die because of their actions, there’s no escaping that. There seems to be a lot of people out there that don’t understand that you can be appalled by George floyds death and the protests.
Rubbish. That's your opinion. I guess you have never faced any discrimination because of the colour of your skin? No one is forcing you to protest.
You may be one of the people who want this to disappear and for everyone to forget about this? If they don't protest now in three months time it would have been forgotten. Even if they protest unless they keep it up people will forget about it and it will be business as usual which means nothing changes at all.

TheReligion

Abusive
Why on earth were horses even necessary here? It trampled over a woman afterwards as well.
Why? Because unprotected cops were getting hit with bottles and a flare so they used mounted to quickly push the crowd back and give them some space to bring in those with kit on.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Yeah it's not the fault of the people throwing bottles and a flare at the cops who weren't wearing protection. It's definitely nothing to do with that.
Pretty fecking dumb to take horses to a protest where that’s a likely outcome then, is it not?

TheReligion

Abusive
Pretty fecking dumb to take horses to a protest where that’s a likely outcome then, is it not?
No it's not. They are really useful for certain public order situations.

And it's meant to be a peaceful protest remember hence normal uniform cops policing it to start with.

Tucholsky

Supports
VfB Stuttgart
It is a freak accident. These police horses are extremely well trained, so that in 99% in case of an attack or distraction they hold their nerves with the help of the rider.

Foxbatt

UK transport police has stopped a woman who was wearing a t shirt that says " feck Boris".
This is crazy. Boris would love to be fecked.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Just an explanation on that but with protests the very little violence there is tends to take place as the evening wears on and as most of the law abiding protestors leave. That is why the police presence increases. Its no coincidence.
Erm that is one way to look at it. Mostly in my experience, it has mainly been when there is a direct interaction with the police and protesters. Saying that there was not much violence today either in London.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
What does that have to do with having huge horses indiscriminately charging at people. Just because a few bottles are being thrown at them? And a flare!!! Wow, the danger!

You're making this out to be a full blown riot. Already had first hand reports on this thread that it isn't.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
No it's not. They are really useful for certain public order situations.

And it's meant to be a peaceful protest remember hence normal uniform cops policing it to start with.
It’s a mass protest, you can’t use the logic that it’s supposed to be ‘peaceful’ for somehow catching the police unaware that projectiles could be thrown and spook a horse.

It does not seem like mounted police were necessary there and for the exact reason that video showed, it was more of a risk than justified their presence.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
haha well spotted.

fecking oldies eh!
No need to make a big deal out of it but you have to laugh in a thread talking about Brutality and Bigotry :lol:

TheReligion

Abusive
What does that have to do with having huge horses indiscriminately charging at people. Just because a few bottles are being thrown at them? And a flare!!! Wow, the danger!

You're making this out to be a full blown riot. Which it isn't.
The point is pretty straightforward. The protest was policed be regular officers in normal uniform. Unfortunately late on a small group of those who wanted to cause trouble wanted to get to Downing Street and were stopped from doing so by these same regular officers. Those same officers were then hit with various objects so had to withdraw. The horse tactics are used to clear an area to allow the public order officers to retake the lost ground which they did.

It's a standard and very effective thing to do and would have been done so with numerous warnings and communication with the crowd. Obviously this is a freak accident as already mentioned but rather than blaming the use of the tactics which was actually successful I'd suggest if matters weren't escalated by those on the ground looking to cause trouble there would have been no need to use it in the first place.

The vast majority of what's been seen today in the UK has been brilliant and a great example of peaceful protesting.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
The point is pretty straightforward. The protest was policed be regular officers in normal uniform. Unfortunately late on a small group of those who wanted to cause trouble wanted to get to Downing Street and were stopped from doing so by these same regular officers. Those same officers were then hit with various objects so had to withdraw. The horse tactics are used to clear an area to allow the public order officers to retake the lost ground which they did.

It's a standard and very effective thing to do and would have been done so with numerous warnings and communication with the crowd. Obviously this is a freak accident as already mentioned but rather than blaming the use of the tactics which was actually successful I'd suggest if matters weren't escalated by those on the ground looking to cause trouble there would have been no need to use it in the first place.

The vast majority of what's been seen today in the UK has been brilliant and a great example of peaceful protesting.
Fair enough. Thanks for explaining.

If you get news on the poor officer who was injured, please let us know. I feel bad for him.

TheReligion

Abusive
It’s a mass protest, you can’t use the logic that it’s supposed to be ‘peaceful’ for somehow catching the police unaware that projectiles could be thrown and spook a horse.

It does not seem like mounted police were necessary there and for the exact reason that video showed, it was more of a risk than justified their presence.
The tactic worked and the police took back control of the street and moved the trouble making element back so I'd argue that they were necessary. It's standard practice when retaking a large area of ground and looking to give officers,who are under attack, more space.

This looks like a freak accident from what I've seen.

MoskvaRed

Why would people cheer? They should care about his well being first and eventually laugh if he is fine.
Because a small part of the crowd will be the usual (mainly white) anarchist/Stop the War mob who turn out for these protests.They may as well be working for the police or MI5 in terms of the damage they do to the cause they latch onto in an excuse to have a fight with the police.

Rather than write the Daily Mail’s headlines, it’s better to starve them of publicity and focus on the dignified and meaningful protests we’ve seen from the likes of Boyega and Joshua.

fergieisold

Rubbish. That's your opinion. I guess you have never faced any discrimination because of the colour of your skin? No one is forcing you to protest.
You may be one of the people who want this to disappear and for everyone to forget about this? If they don't protest now in three months time it would have been forgotten. Even if they protest unless they keep it up people will forget about it and it will be business as usual which means nothing changes at all.
You seem to be another one confused that you can be both appalled at racism and the protests under the current context of a global pandemic.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
The tactic worked and the police took back control of the street and moved the trouble making element back so I'd argue that they were necessary. It's standard practice when retaking a large area of ground and looking to give, officers who are under attack, more space.

This looks like a freak accident from what I've seen.
I’d dispute the notion that the tactic ‘worked’ when you have one unconscious officer and one woman needing medical attention after being trampled - both cases fortunate to not have resulted in something more serious.

TheReligion

Abusive
I’d dispute the notion that the tactic ‘worked’ when you have one unconscious officer and one woman needing medical attention after being trampled - both cases fortunate to not have resulted in something more serious.
You can't dispute a notion that's a fact.

The objective was achieved, the rest was a freak accident. Unfortunately there's always an element of risk with these things. Anyway as I've said the vast majority of what's been seen today has been an excellent example of peaceful protesting. I'd also say the Met have dealt with the small amount of violence at the end really well. Chalk and cheese to what we've seen in the US.

Let's hope there's no more trouble and no one else gets hurt.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
You can't dispute a notion that's a fact.

The objective was achieved, the rest was a freak accident. Unfortunately there's always an element of risk with these things. Anyway as I've said the vast majority of what's been seen today has been an excellent example of peaceful protesting. I'd also say the Met have dealt with the small amount of violence at the end really well. Chalk and cheese to what we've seen in the US.

Let's hope there's no more trouble and no one else gets hurt.
When I say something worked i.e. was successful I take into account the risk to life the action caused. It seems rather crass to ignore that aspect but then again your first response to a video of US police driving through a crowd of protestors was to wonder what emergency warranted such action.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
That would like being in the 1980s and saying "Ethiopians need to eat", and then some guy pipes up "no, all people need to eat". Both statements are true but the 1st statement would be the most pressing matter.
And the second would be an expression of either baffling ignorance or thinly veiled resentment.
All lives matter is a counter protest to black lives matter, that's just a fact.
Indeed. It's even in the name.

TheReligion

Abusive
When I say something worked i.e. was successful I take into account the risk to life the action caused. It seems rather crass to ignore that aspect but then again your first response to a video of US police driving through a crowd of protestors was to wonder what emergency warranted such action.
No. It's probably because I look at things differently to you as I am experienced in public order tactics and have quite a bit of practical experience in dealing with large scale disorder.

Again you're looking for an argument. I've answered your question as to why the horses were there and why there were used. You're entitled to your opinion of course.