Protests following the killing of George Floyd

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
You’re actually becoming a bit ridiculous now. You were rampaging through the corona thread about the government and people not doing enough to stop the spread. Now you’re in here calling posters racist for expressing concern that these protests will cause a spread.
And my point stands. The Government response to covid19 has been pathetic, and those protesting today have the right to protest, esp when Government have reduced the threat level.

There is sequencing and a timeline to those views. Both views can be independently held .

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
No no, I've only deleted one post? I'm not pretending anything, I only mentioned it after I've received racist abuse for being non english by people, and Ive had it from black people too and I've only deleted one post.. I'm not racist either.. This whole thing has been piled on and people just trying to pick at me saying all lives matter. I'll leave you to it guys. I shouldn't be asked, or doubted about being non english, or dark skinned or what my background is either, if people don't believe me then I don't care.
Which they should. It is totally unnecessary to enter a thread discussing the issue of police brutality towards black lives and the death of George Floyd and say it. If you want to discuss all lives matter create a separate thread and do it there.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Which they should. It is totally unnecessary to enter a thread discussing the issue of police brutality towards black lives and the death of George Floyd and say it. If you want to discuss all lives matter create a separate thread and do it there.
Or don't do it at all because the point of Black lives matter is that to a part of the population they didn't and still don't. It's to denounce a lack of care compared to others not to put blacks above others but I bet that he knew it and everyone with that type of rhetoric knows it.

Ludens the Red

And my point stands. The Government response to covid19 has been pathetic, and those protesting today have the right to protest, esp when Government have reduced the threat level.

There is sequencing and a timeline to those views. Both views can be independently held .
That’s not the issue here nor what I’m calling out, the post you quoted me on I even state the protests are ‘right’.
The issue is you calling people racist on this forum, who are obviously still concerned about the spread. I just don’t understand why you insist on extremes with everything. And every time someone questions you on it, you go off on something else and completely ignore what’s put to you just as you’ve done again in this post.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
That’s not the issue here nor what I’m calling out, the post you quoted me on I even state the protests are ‘right’.
The issue is you calling people racist on this forum, who are obviously still concerned about the spread. I just don’t understand why you insist on extremes with everything. And every time someone questions you on it, you go off on something else and completely ignore what’s put to you just as you’ve done again in this post.
You have a very high opinion on your 'calling people out' as though it's meaningful. I have an opinion, this is a forum, disagree if you choose, and move on.

Last edited:

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Yes maybe he's wrong on that stuff but he's clearly not a racist and it was a dick move to call him one.
Noodle is a clever guy, it’s wilful ignorance on hIs behalf; ie implicit racism. Noodle may not be a racist but his view stated in that post is definitely racist, whether intended or not

entropy

Because it’s purposely ignoring what the protest is about? I’m not going to bother arguing with a blatantly racist view.
There so so many bad faith actors in these type of arguments. Systemic racism within the medical profession is already killing black people during covid by denying them necessary healthcare. Instead of using this discussion to acknowledge this and the sheer amount of anti blackness that plagues the profession, they absolutely feel the need to display to everyone how casual racism works.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
You're assuming that it's about what the organisers want, when this isn't really about organisation. This is about a reaction at a particular moment. George Floyd's murder on camera struck a chord with people, maybe even a generation of people, including some who've never been involved in any kind of public protest or street protest before. It's bloody awful timing, but maybe it was the fact that most people were at home, tuned to the breaking news on twitter is what tipped the balance.

If it was all about a thought through set of demands, followed by a steady campaign to build support, then I agree, arguing about the timing of a march or the continuation of protests over days, or changing tactics to avoid public health risks would mean something. But this is about pent up frustration and anger that says yes, we've seen it all before - we know it happens, but this time we can't just switch it off and get on with something else. It's currently about saying this matters, and saying it often enough and loud enough that it doesn't just roll straight off the front page and into twitter-land again.
That’s a great post. I just can’t help being cynical about the sort of social media fuelled agitation that seems to be rife in a certain generation. They’re whipping each other into a frenzy, with no room for common sense. One of the spokespeople for the Irish march said “we can’t pause our emotion “ but to me that just seems childish. This pandemic calls for everyone to make sacrifices and if those sacrifices involve internalising bruised emotions for the time being then so be it. That’s my opinion anyway.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
There so so many bad faith actors in these type of arguments. Systemic racism within the medical profession is already killing black people during covid by denying them necessary healthcare. Instead of using this discussion to acknowledge this, they absolutely feel the need to display to everyone how casual racism works.
possibly in the states but I hope not in the UK? My knowledge of the front line of the NHS is these are people in their professions to help other people regardless of their skin colour.

What will be systemic racism is if Covid kicks off again in a big way and we don’t go back into lockdown, knowing BAME communities are more seriously affected

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Bike Tyson speaks

Do you think he's being truthful? He is 60 yo, very low chance he will miraculously see the error of his ways.

Sound like BS to me. Its been 5 days since he was busted. More like his lawyer had advised him to say this as a way of reducing his legal punishment.

Suv666

US has pretty much opened every business, non essential ones too. Why can saloon's run but not protests? If protestors were defying lockdown, that was a different story. Millions are going to work everyday and are using public transport. Compared to that the protests are just a drop in the ocean.

starman

This is the complete difference in British to US policing...

When the protestors line up in front of the police on their knees (from 1.30 minute mark) "saying hands up dont shoot",they just walk past and confuse them. In the US as we have seen, you get pepper sprayed, tear gassed, dragged to the floor or shot with a rubber bullet..

This is why its so embarrassing attacking police and using copy cat behaviour

Ludens the Red

You have a very high opinion on your 'calling people out' as though it's meaningful. I have an opinion, this is a forum, disagree if you choose, and move on.
What you’re doing is not expressing an opinion. Calling people racist with no grounds and posting daft tweets doesn’t fall into expressing an opinion. It just falls into rubbish and unhelpful posting. But whatever, carry on doing what you’re doing. You clearly have a very high opinion on the level of quality of your posting.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Noodle is a clever guy, it’s wilful ignorance on hIs behalf; ie implicit racism. Noodle may not be a racist but his view stated in that post is definitely racist, whether intended or not
Absolute nonsense. Sadly it seems you're not a very clever guy.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Do you think he's being truthful? He is 60 yo, very low chance he will miraculously see the error of his ways.

Sound like BS to me. Its been 5 days since he was busted. More like his lawyer had advised him to say this as a way of reducing his legal punishment.
If the three people he accosted accept it then that's good enough for me.

Suv666

Healthcare workers lives apparently don't matter enough.
Black people getting choked on the streets and getting shot in their own homes. But no, protest when Corona is over. Ridiculous.

Sara125

Thank you Sparky, at least you get that not all mixed people look certain ways. But I do still look darker and different enough to have comments made and to get asked about my race and where I'm from. I've always identified as white british, as my family here is, it's how I was brought up, but I am mixed. I live with and was brought up by my english side of the family. I didn't really expect to have to explain how I look today, how dark skinned I am, and being called a liar multiple times. I'm not going to call myself a black guy when I identify as a British more european looking than black looking. Oh well. That's the internet for you. If people knew me personally then this crap wouldn't have happened today, and they'd understand where I'm coming from. Hope to end this rubbish now.
Sorry I don’t believe for one second that you’re mixed race. In your posts that were dug up about being white, it wasn’t like you said you are a white passing mixed race man. You specifically and made it a point to say ‘white British’ and talked about ‘racism’ you’ve faced as a white British man. I also searched the word black with your name and you’ve made no mention of your black side before this thread where you talk about black and white people in general.

amolbhatia50k

Black people getting choked on the streets and getting shot in their own homes. But no, protest when Corona is over. Ridiculous.
People are getting shot in their homes in the UK? While under lockdown? Surely under lockdown this hasn't been happening that much. Obviously racism is a big issue in general, everywhere. But so is Covid and even moreso given the immediacy of the problem.

Dante

Average bang
One of the problems I have with the importance given to American news on British TV is that UK citizens end up believing they're a part of the same narrative.

We have our own issues that need to be addressed in a different way. The kneeling protest doesn't make sense here.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
This is the complete difference in British to US policing...
When the protestors line up in front of the police on their knees (from 1.30 minute mark) "saying hands up dont shoot",they just walk past and confuse them. In the US as we have seen, you get pepper sprayed, tear gassed, dragged to the floor or shot with a rubber bullet..
This is why its so embarrassing attacking police and using copy cat behaviour

\ These UK protesters very stupid, as virtually all UK police don't carry guns. :wenger:

UK BLM need to localise their message, if it is to have further resonance. Else wont lead to any change in UK.

amolbhatia50k

Whatever you say chief, if you can’t understand I can’t explain. I’m tired of doing it; educate yourself
Not interested in receiving an explanation from someone who can't form a decent argument and cluelessly resorts to the desperate act of calling people names/racist.

hobbers

What would you rather happen?
People exercise their brains a tiny bit and stay away from these fairly pointless mass protests. Talking just about the UK of course.

People won't like them being referred to as pointless, but they really are. It's just a show of solidarity for most and also clearly looked at as another go at the London riots for quite a few. Many trying to bait the Met into behaving like the NYPD.

We already know black people are more susceptible to Covid. The young people out there marching will probably be fine but their parents and grandparents might not be so lucky.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Thank you Sparky, at least you get that not all mixed people look certain ways. But I do still look darker and different enough to have comments made and to get asked about my race and where I'm from. I've always identified as white british, as my family here is, it's how I was brought up, but I am mixed. I live with and was brought up by my english side of the family. I didn't really expect to have to explain how I look today, how dark skinned I am, and being called a liar multiple times. I'm not going to call myself a black guy when I identify as a British more european looking than black looking. Oh well. That's the internet for you. If people knew me personally then this crap wouldn't have happened today, and they'd understand where I'm coming from. Hope to end this rubbish now.
You don’t need to apologise or justify anything mate. This thread is a fecking disaster.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
What you’re doing is not expressing an opinion. Calling people racist with no grounds and posting daft tweets doesn’t fall into expressing an opinion. It just falls into rubbish and unhelpful posting. But whatever, carry on doing what you’re doing. You clearly have a very high opinion on the level of quality of your posting.
Thanks. Though I don't need your permission for that.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal

You just can't help yourself. :lol:

It does sound though very like a good PR apology.