Protests following the killing of George Floyd

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

:eek:
While it’s a fake claim, it seems as though Trump is basically celebrating that he has reduced Americans their constitutional first Amendment rights?

Not that his voters have the intelligence to understand that nuance.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
While it’s a fake claim, it seems as though Trump is basically celebrating that he has reduced Americans their constitutional first Amendment rights?

Not that his voters have the intelligence to understand that nuance.
Well here is what his base is posting

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Nope, it's a statement to the white folk.

If you're, to this day, silent on racial oppression and injustices - you are complicit.
there are 8m people who live in London. How many were on the march yesterday? How many BAME people were at home yesterday, are they all complicit?

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
It's shocking it's still up and it's not like people haven't tried to get it taken down through the 'proper channels' either. I hope BCC show some balls and don't allow it to be restored.
Really pleased this has happened, the statue should have gone years ago. Edward Colston was part of a set up that traded 84000 men women and children across the Atlantic and then added to his wealth with a sugar plantation obviously worked by slaves. They’ve thrown the statue in the harbour.

Never knew Colston Hall was named after a slave trader.
They are in the process of renaming it, though even that caused a huge backlash from right wingers across the city

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
'Much smaller crowd in D.C. than anticipated.'
See? The protesters don't really give a damn about their "cause".

'National Guard, Secret Service, and D.C. Police have been doing a fantastic job.'
Please keep me in power. Pleeeeaasse.

'Thank you!'
Really, there's no need to thank your favourite president. But if you don't, you're on a watchlist.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
‘In capitalist usage, freedom of the press means freedom of the rich to bribe the press, freedom to use their wealth to shape and fabricate so-called public opinion.’

- some Russian guy a while ago.

2020 - mainstream British media adding balance to anti-racist protests by platforming a racist.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

@Pexbo @Solius
We (me and my Girlfriend, not me and @Solius) heard it was happening and then heard the cheers but were round the corner at college green when it happened. Gutted we didn’t see it come down, it’s been planned for a long while though and everything with Colsten in its name is being renamed. It’s really nice that it came down like this with so much emotion and symbolism though rather than just disappearing during the night removed by council workers.

neverdie

‘In capitalist usage, freedom of the press means freedom of the rich to bribe the press, freedom to use their wealth to shape and fabricate so-called public opinion.’
Freedom of the press to represent two sides of the same ruling class hegemony.

DoomSlayer

I have to say, when the virus outbreak was just starting everywhere, I was debating with people how marginalised and poorer communities will start protesting, albeit I didn't foresee it happening like this.

Some argued that governments using violence to enforce lockdowns and social distancing would have been appropriate. I might go back and see which posters were saying that and compare their views now.

PepsiCola

there are 8m people who live in London. How many were on the march yesterday? How many BAME people were at home yesterday, are they all complicit?
It's not about the BAME folk.

And marching isnt the only way to take action against racism and oppression.

Again. Silence is being complicit.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
:lol: Sorry for ruining your plans, man.

Yeah, I'm from Bulgaria and I was trying to explain our perspective. We never had centuries of systematic oppression and exploitation, it was actually the total opposite. I do agree we have a racism issue, but it's just not systemic and there is no reason why we as white people have to feel guilty. Actually, it's exactly why I feel strong sympathy towards the struggles of minorities in the West, because our country suffers from being between the hammer and the anvil (the non-stop historical clash of the West and the East) to this day.
What about the Romani people in Bulgaria? I would dare say that has been quite systematic for centuries, and still is.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City

He is genuinely creepy. His infatuation with Blair is so bizarre I sometimes wonder if he’s not playing us all but I’m afraid it is quite genuine. Probably has a dartboard in his basement with Cherie’s face covering the bullseye.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
FFS. She has never made a good point in her life. Read up on who she is.
I have heard she's a trump supporter and a lot of things. I'm not really interested on who she is, but rather the stats/points she made in the video in question.

Out of interest, what are the great points you think she made?
I really don't want to get into that. In this day and age that we live in, if you even have an ounce of differing opinion you will get slaughtered and name called all kinds of things. Even on this forum I will get banned for having a different opinion. It's in my best interest to go with the majority belief.

I consider myself fairly left on most things and a liberal person.. but how society has shaped into one that's extremely far left, and extremely far right, I'm kind of in a situation where if I say anything out of the popular consensus, I will be labeled by both groups.

I'm not sure Ronaldo's Mum Eh? has either. His opinions are often bizarre. He seems to be wrong about everything. Kindred spirits?
God forbid there are people who question the status quo. I was one of the only posters on all of Redcafe who claimed football will be back soon and got vilified by everyone and banned for it... yet those exact same posters who called me names for suggesting that are the same ones "excited" that football is back. We live in a very funny, short sighted world.

Just because someone else has a different opinion, we shouldn't call them names.. instead we should be open minded and assess claims/facts that they are putting forward. Why does society now have to be a "my way or the highway" mentality?

She's the face of the right wing TPUSA . She is the closet racists wet dream, a black person who trashes other black people, spouting the usual talking points. She just did her usual grift, spouting black crime statistics while spitting in the grave of George Floyd.
From the video I saw she made it very clear that what happened to Floyd was terrible and that he deserves justice. She also made it very clear that the problem is beyond white people killing black people. It's black people killing black people and them not holding themselves to a higher standard. There's been a couple other high profile people in the world with similar points of view. Why should we call them names? Can we not come to some sort of understanding and agreement?

DoomSlayer

What about the Romani people in Bulgaria? I would dare say that has been quite systematic for centuries, and still is.
Not in the territory of our nation. The history of their oppression again starts with the West, continued with the Ottoman empire, who treated them as the lowest servants to the sultan, below even the non-muslims.

It's a very broad topic with many historical nuances, but the Romani were never slaves when we've had our own freedom and independence. They were enslaved in territories around current Romania though, but certainly not here or by us.

There is however current racism, which is purposefully created by the ruling elite of the last 30 years, but again, it's very specific to our domestic and internal political and social issues. If I have the time one day, I might make a thread on it, because most people on this forum are clueless when it comes to our part of Europe, since we are literally on the edge and act as a border of the EU.