Protests following the killing of George Floyd

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
This is going to happen more and more here while people continue to absolutely hammer the police and align them with American police.
There’s a massive thing about hating the police at the moment in the uk, seen it enough just on here and it seems nothing good will come of it

Gibb11

It's a video from The Sun so I would hope it does.
Really? Rhodes must fall by the way has plenty more aims than simply statues by the way
For me personally its my hospital doing a review and risk assessment of BAME staff working in frontline
BLM UK raising £750,000 with £10 million to black British causes from Stormzy
Black Minds Matter UK has pledges of more than £290,000 to link black people with certified black mental health practitioners.
Black LGBTQIA+ therapy fund had raised almost £50,000 with the Black Protest Legal Support UK more than £45,000
More than a million people have signed a petition in support of Belly Mujinga which the British Transport Police now said has requested a review of from the Crown Prosecution service in light of the "wider public interest"
Bernadine Evaristo and Reni Eddo-Lodge have become the first black British women to top the UK’s fiction and nonfiction paperback charts

Over in the states
Nike announced $40m investment in black community
LA Mayor takes $130m from police budget to invest in black community
The Eric Garner Anti-Chokehold Act passed in NY makes the use of a chokehold by a police officer a felony, Minneapolis City Council also agreed to ban chokeholds
Bank of America announced a $1 billion, four-year commitment of additional support to help local communities address economic and racial inequality
The CEO of Lowe's announced it's offering $25 million in grant money for minority-owned businesses trying to reopen amid the COVID-19 pandemic
They have raised money to also ''bring down capitalism''. It is literally stated as a mission goal. It is a extreme political movement considering the fact that all western societies are capitalist ones, I use the word extreme because that is what it is.

Dante

Average bang
The fact that a disproportionate amount of black people live in poor conditions, have to resort to other means than getting a decent job to make a living, and basically aren't given a fair platform, is where I see the problem personally, and I don't see people trying to focus on or educate people about that. At least not enough people...and the ones that are aren't making enough noises about it. A statue of some bloke from 1802 being removed isn't going to help a generation of young black people have an equal opportunity at getting a good education, accepted to their choice of uni, given the job opportunity they want, etc. You create racism by continuing to feed a system that creates a perception of one type of person being of less status than another.

It's not me trying to be funny it's just that I tend to put it quite bluntly. There are things that are helpful and productive, and there are things that are either meaningless or create resistance. If you want to know where the focus is being put, look on any UK news website or facebook timeline, etc. It is quite frustrating as it's a wasted opportunity to try and claw some good out of the recent events.
I see your point here. You're right to say that pulling down a statue won't make black people more employable or better treated. But what it does do is give society a shock to the system. It forces a self-reflection for the kinds of people who don't think they're racist.

At the end of the day, you can't create an equitable society in one fell swoop - especially when an unequal society is working relatively well for the majority of people. There's no reason for them to give alternative points-of-view any thought.

Change is only possible when the majority are confronted by the perspective of the minority in a way that can't be ignored. Cecil Rhodes is finally getting talked about, and systemic racism is finally being highlighted on the front pages. That's a victory that won't reap any benefits today, but may make tomorrow a little better. It's the best anyone can realistically hope for.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Disagreeing Or having issues with a protest during a worldwide health pandemic where thousands have died and everyone else has been locked away for the previous months does not make one racist imo.
I agree. The reactions on the protest based on there being a pandemic are things I 100% understand. I just find it hard to criticise people of color for feeling the need to protest anyway.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Celebrities just stop please

Why is it done in the style of a save a donkey advert and why are they all using their acting voices.
I don’t know whether those videos help or not but jeez, they come across so fake and patronising

mu4c_20le

Why is it done in the style of a save a donkey advert and why are they all using their acting voices.
I don’t know whether those videos help or not but jeez, they come across so fake and patronising
Because that's how most people remember them by :D I saw Aaron Paul trending earlier and his fans loved it

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I agree. The reactions on the protest based on there being a pandemic are things I 100% understand. I just find it hard to criticise people of color for feeling the need to protest anyway.

I don't think the criticism was leveled solely at PoC and maybe the intention was more to moan about woke white libs. Some people just flew off the handle and started hurling 'racist' around. Something which is not acceptable in any way.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I don't think the criticism was leveled solely at PoC and maybe the intention was more to moan about woke white libs. Some people just flew off the handle and started hurling 'racist' around. Something which is not acceptable in any way.
I know it isn't meant solely for people of color, I'm not sure how I feel about others getting involved during the pandemic. On one end I like that people are supportive of people of color and their plight for justice and change. On the other there is obviously a pandemic going and it will cost lives and they are risking the people they are around.

Wolverine

I know most people have been protesting peacefully, but it is about the outcome and overall picture.
I agree and I just gave you a list of things accomplished which you straight up ignored that people protesting have managed to achieve and are achieving and will achieve.
There are so many things happening beyond statue toppling and violence.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
1. Police using violent force with absolutely no reason to do it so so fecking rare that you can count the cases using your hand fingers. This shitting on cops is unbelievable really, nobody notices how millions of times per day cops do a good job but if some idiot cop makes a bad decision and especially if a black person is a victim, scandal is inevitable. Propaganda against police is astonishing.

2. To me it's just a bit ironic that for such an important movement you would choose a face of a criminal as your flag. That's only me I guess.

3. Yea I would definitely tell firemen to focus on the houses that are completely fine. Fecking hell :lol: I don't disagree with your point, I just disagree with how that phrase somehow makes people racist.
Have a watch of some of the videos here:
If you can go through those and still count them on your fingers you must live near Chernobyl.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too

If you don't know them, they're not going the Ta-Nehisi Coates way

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I see your point here. You're right to say that pulling down a statue won't make black people more employable or better treated. But what it does do is give society a shock to the system. It forces a self-reflection for the kinds of people who don't think they're racist.

At the end of the day, you can't create an equitable society in one fell swoop - especially when an unequal society is working relatively well for the majority of people. There's no reason for them to give alternative points-of-view any thought.

Change is only possible when the majority are confronted by the perspective of the minority in a way that can't be ignored. Cecil Rhodes is finally getting talked about, and systemic racism is finally being highlighted on the front pages. That's a victory that won't reap any benefits today, but may make tomorrow a little better. It's the best anyone can realistically hope for.
Yeah I think it raises the awareness of the issue, but I think that had already been more than achieved with the events in america and the initial reaction here. I'm not sure throwing a statue of some bloke into the sea and turning the main focus into which statues we should throw away really does much other than distract from the actual problem. It's offering people an easy solution or way to show that they care, but without really having to do or change anything. People will take that for exactly the reasons you have said.

I agree with the general point though and I think that's part of the problem here. People are looking for a quick or easy solution and there really isn't one. Changes for the better have actually been happening for quite a long while but there is also a long way still to go, and I think it's important to acknowledge both of those things...in the past year or so we've seen establishments like Oxford University forced to change their practices to accept more ethnic minority students or students from poorer backrounds. People like Raheem Sterling and Marcus Rashford be held up as role models to younger people and the media actually being called out for negative stereotyping. What I've seen in my workplace is younger people are much more willing to stand up with you if you confront a racist remark or opinion, or often they'll be the one to stand up and say something. In 10 years some of those will be managers or in senior roles where they also have more influence. A lot of people from say 30 or over might not be racist but also don't want to rock the boat...there's either too much for them to lose or they just don't see it as a necessary conflict.

There's a perception that racism is almost like flicking a switch at the moment where tensions are high, and I think that's dangerous and could actually be counter productive. Smearing the police, belittling the suffering the pandemic has caused for some people, throwing "racist" around like it's a playground insult...tell someone they are something enough times and eventually all you do is convince them you're right.

Racism is a deep routed and complicated problem and trying to eradicate it is more like planting a tree and constantly making sure it has the right conditions to grow. There's nothing wrong with trying to speed the process up in any way that's possible, but we do have to be a bit careful how we do it.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Have a watch of some of the videos here:
If you can go through those and still count them on your fingers you must live near Chernobyl.
Ok, another perspective.

I remember having to go to a friend's house because her neighbour had gone mental and smashed up her garden and was trying to force his way into her house. She's black and has quite a strong african accent. When she phoned the police (and I know this as I was listening to the call) the person who answered was rude and obnoxious to her, and refused to help. I then phoned them and they immediately agreed to send someone out...now the only difference I can see is that I either didn't sound like a black person or didn't sound like a woman. That to me is discrimination.

On the other hand, the policeman who turned up...his first and only concern was to make sure my friend was ok. She was the first person he spoke to. He spent ages reassuring her, giving her advice. He gave her a direct contact in case there was any further trouble and gave her the option of taking the man into custody so she would feel safe for the evening. Is it fair to tar him with racism because another member of the police behaved in a racist way?

As long as there is racism there will be racist police, just as there will be racist postmen, racist office workers, racist random drunk sitting on a bench, etc. The police have an authorative job so abuse of power will also always be a problem...but you aren't going to solve racism by attacking the police.

I wouldn't entertain the idea that raciallly motivated police brutality doesn't happen, or suggest how rare it is or isn't...because even without the video evidence it's illogical to think it doesn't happen quite regularly, but it is also important to realise it's a product of racism rather than the cause, and that actually most police probably aren't racist.

Admittedly can't say the same for America simply because it's such a large place and parts of it are so behind that it wouldn't shock me if joining the police and joining the KKK are still basically the same thing.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Ok, another perspective.

I remember having to go to a friend's house because her neighbour had gone mental and smashed up her garden and was trying to force his way into her house. She's black and has quite a strong african accent. When she phoned the police (and I know this as I was listening to the call) the person who answered was rude and obnoxious to her, and refused to help. I then phoned them and they immediately agreed to send someone out...now the only difference I can see is that I either didn't sound like a black person or didn't sound like a woman. That to me is discrimination.

On the other hand, the policeman who turned up...his first and only concern was to make sure my friend was ok. She was the first person he spoke to. He spent ages reassuring her, giving her advice. He gave her a direct contact in case there was any further trouble and gave her the option of taking the man into custody so she would feel safe for the evening. Is it fair to tar him with racism because another member of the police behaved in a racist way?

As long as there is racism there will be racist police, just as there will be racist postmen, racist office workers, racist random drunk sitting on a bench, etc. The police have an authorative job so abuse of power will also always be a problem...but you aren't going to solve racism by attacking the police.

I wouldn't entertain the idea that raciallly motivated police brutality doesn't happen, or suggest how rare it is or isn't...because even without the video evidence it's illogical to think it doesn't happen quite regularly, but it is also important to realise it's a product of racism rather than the cause, and that actually most police probably aren't racist.

Admittedly can't say the same for America simply because it's such a large place and parts of it are so behind that it wouldn't shock me if joining the police and joining the KKK are still basically the same thing.
Fair points... but I was specifically responding to the sentence 'Police using violent force with absolutely no reason to do it so so fecking rare that you can count the cases using your hand fingers'.

Totally agree that not all police are bad people, or racist, or have a worrying enjoyment of violence. Some certainly do though, and the problem in America seems to be they can get away with it way too easily.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I agree and I just gave you a list of things accomplished which you straight up ignored that people protesting have managed to achieve and are achieving and will achieve.
There are so many things happening beyond statue toppling and violence.
You didn't give me a list. Unless I am confusing you with someone else you gave me about two examples which I have acknowledged, and which also don't address the problem of the fact they are largely going unseen in favour of riling up people against the police and historical monuments. It is ridiculous to suggest that what ends up being the focus of attention isn't a factor in a likely outcome.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Fair points... but I was specifically responding to the sentence 'Police using violent force with absolutely no reason to do it so so fecking rare that you can count the cases using your hand fingers'.

Totally agree that not all police are bad people, or racist, or have a worrying enjoyment of violence. Some certainly do though, and the problem in America seems to be they can get away with it way too easily.
Yeah I do agree...I was more picking your post to make a general point than trying to argue with you.

The problem is it's a job that will naturally attract certain types of people...and more so in parts of america where that part of the job almost seems to be glorified. The problem is two fold there really. There's a racism problem and a policing problem and the two are obviously also linked.

Wolverine

You didn't give me a list. Unless I am confusing you with someone else you gave me about two examples which I have acknowledged, and which also don't address the problem of the fact they are largely going unseen in favour of riling up people against the police and historical monuments. It is ridiculous to suggest that what ends up being the focus of attention isn't a factor in a likely outcome.
Its on here which mentions community investment, legislative changes, mental health, risk assessment for BAME staff, representation in literature, long term commitments
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/pro...of-george-floyd.454902/page-162#post-25610561

I think what this movement is doing beyond what's making the headlines and the impact it will have, for the better, is being ignored. Petitions are being signed, companies are taking notice, conversations are being had, donations being made, lawmakers reaching out to grassroots and vice versa, progressive parties taking notice and incorporating into their platforms ideas from ethnic minority groups etc etc.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football

If you don't know them, they're not going the Ta-Nehisi Coates way
They make some good points but it's quite funny watching conservative intellectuals make sweeping generalizations and red herrings. Weird that guys like these sound like Candance Owens.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
They make some good points but it's quite funny watching conservative intellectuals make sweeping generalizations and red herrings. Weird that guys like these sound like Candance Owens.
Funny how they sweep the recent police attacks against the protesters under the rug.

Sweet Square

Look, feckwits...I don't know why this needs to be said, but it isn't ok to just call someone a racist because they say something that is in no way racist. It is completely out of order.
My point was more that you're arc from banging on about wanting to leave the house during lockdown and why lockdown is dangerous to now outrage over people leaving their houses to protest racism is well quite something(Mostly because you come across as a nice liberal minded person).

What I will say is that you underestimate the scale of racism in the UK. Here's you in another thread this week

The UK protests genuinely worry me. Not only do I think it will cause a lot of death and probably push the infection rate back up in the London area, but I think it will do a load more damage than good. There are no systematic changes needed here. Everyone has the same rights. There are active programs to get more minorities involved in things like policing.
Now does this make you a racist well no but I do think it contributes to the negative way you see the protests.

My opinion is based on the fact I am worried because I don't see how these current actions will do anything other than divide people and if anything create ill feeling and entrench feelings of racism. As you can see from some of the news headlines, facebook posts, etc. condemming them. You have people guarding statues because they are worried about vandals. People who have spent the last two months fearing for their lives only to watch thousands marching about in the street, and you are alienating them from your cause, and then when they disagree with you, you are calling them racists. Stop doing that. It's pathetic.
You're unknowingly just doing the white moderate shtick that King talked about.

"I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season."

Also at least in the US these protests have resulted in the favorability ratings of the BLM movement going up by about 20 points and if the protesters didn't remove and dump that statue in the sea then various others wouldn't have been removed this week, it's actually a great example of direct action working. So you're dystopian future hasn't come true.

In my view there's two things people can do if they have concerns about way these protests are heading which is firstly log off and leave the house. If you really do believe you have any sort of answer then go to the protests and organize because otherwise all you're doing is just larping on the internet. Or secondly (and this what prompted my response in the first place )

My sister and a friend were literally AT these protests. They have the same values as me. My criticising them is not the same as telling people they have no right to attend them.
Produce a better level of criticism because it's as dull as lager piss to read the cynical posts you've produced in this thread so far. A man was murdered by a police officer which resulted in world wide protests and a violent response from the global superpower against its own citizens(All of this during the biggest pandemic since the Spanish flu)and this is the best you've got

Are we all satisfied we've defeated racism now that we've helped spread corona virus around, unfairly smeared every police officer in the land and started a campaign to smash up some statues?

Next we should start punching anyone in the face who doesn't look anti racist enough.

As far as campaigns/protests go, this is among the stupidest I've witnessed I'm afraid...apart from ones that are for stupid causes in the first place.
It's easy to see why a poster on here would think you might be a bit racist. Maybe take some time out and actual engage with subject at hand. Chances are you will gain a better understanding of the world.

Last edited:

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
They make some good points they do

but it's quite funny watching conservative intellectuals not sure what thats got to do with anything, but, they are? Maybe Loury, but the other guy, really?

make sweeping generalizations and red herrings. They did?

Weird that guys like these sound like Candance Owens. Guess you didn't listen to them..

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Its on here which mentions community investment, legislative changes, mental health, risk assessment for BAME staff, representation in literature, long term commitments
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/pro...of-george-floyd.454902/page-162#post-25610561

I think what this movement is doing beyond what's making the headlines and the impact it will have, for the better, is being ignored. Petitions are being signed, companies are taking notice, conversations are being had, donations being made, lawmakers reaching out to grassroots and vice versa, progressive parties taking notice and incorporating into their platforms ideas from ethnic minority groups etc etc.
Well I hope you are right, as I said to @Dante I think changes for the better are happening and were already happening, and it's important to acknowledge that as well as acknowledge how far there still is to go. Definitely not denying there are people out there trying to do the right things. I just wish the focus would be on that.

The solution involves getting everyone on the same page and I think once we get there then there's a real chance, as people will feel more empowered to do what is right in day to day life, rather than only when it's a popular topic.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
It's easy to see why a poster on here would think you might be a bit racist. Maybe take some time out and actual engage with subject at hand. Chances are you will gain a better understanding of the world.
Maybe take some time out to read the rest of my posts instead of being patronising.

The worst thing about this forum is how people just presume everyone who disagrees with them is uneducated and stupid.