Protests following the killing of George Floyd

Nickosaur

fecking hell, what a mess.

The Trump tweets just don't even register as shocking for me anymore. Fact is a frightening amount of 'normal' citizens will see that 'looting = shooting' comment and celebrate it.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
So riot and give black people more of a bad name is the way to show your disgust at black people being killed?
It is not people of color who are getting a bad name due to this case and the feckton of others like it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
to be honest this is a reach. a thug is a violent person, so I don't know what word better describes rioters and looters.
Nah, he's consistently spoken about white people doing shitty things as 'good people' that are just fighting for their rights etc. and as soon as it isn't white people they're thugs. He's a racist cnut.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I'm certainly not excusing all looters - there will always be people, of whatever racial origin, who cash-in on troubled times by stealing - but does no-one ever consider that looting might be a protest against the perennial over-pricing that's rampant in society? And the fact that most of us are, deliberately, under-paid? Looting can be a protest in itself...

villain

Hates Beyoncé
So riot and give black people more of a bad name is the way to show your disgust at black people being killed?
Incredibly ignorant statement.

What exactly do you mean by black people have a 'bad name'?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
So this is just a black riot? Lets say youre correct. Wouldn't 99 percent of these rioters bring black give them this bad name rather than the few white people caught up in it all?
I refer to what I said before. I don't condone rioting by anyone. Also the post you referred to said a lot of white people not 1% which is where my point was coming from.
Not really, only one community will bare the consequences.
By the way, I don't condone the rioting either way, from white or black or whoever
You can join their disgust without rioting (something which will come back on those who you are joining side by side)

Cassidy

Incredibly ignorant statement.

What exactly do you mean by black people have a 'bad name'?
I didn't say they HAVE, I said give. I.E the rioting is blamed on them and the consequences of such will be on them (more police brutality and fuel for bigots and racists)

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
to be honest this is a reach. a thug is a violent person, so I don't know what word better describes rioters and looters.
Ah the beauty of a dog whistle, it’s mostly just the dogs that can hear it and even then they get to say “what whistle?” along with those who genuinely can’t hear it.

Atze-Peng

Dortmund Fan
I'm certainly not excusing all looters - there will always be people, of whatever racial origin, who cash-in on troubled times by stealing - but does no-one ever consider that looting might be a protest against the perennial over-pricing that's rampant in society? And the fact that most of us are, deliberately, under-paid? Looting can be a protest in itself...
So you protest by hurting other people trying to make ends meet - especially during difficult economical times. Who do you think is going to pay for that? The business owners of big chains? Or the employers. You are essentially hurting the people who eventually could be on your side. It's beyond dumb. And allowing protests turn into riots is the most stupid thing that can be done for your protests credibility.

No, the working population will not consider that looting might be a protest, because they are the people who create the necessariy labour of the things the looters steal or destroy.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I didn't say they HAVE, I said give. I.E the rioting is blamed on them and the consequences of such will be on them (more police brutality and fuel for bigots and racists)
You also said give more of.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
So you protest by hurting other people trying to make ends meet - especially during difficult economical times. Who do you think is going to pay for that? The business owners of big chains? Or the employers. You are essentially hurting the people who eventually could be on your side. It's beyond dumb. And allowing protests turn into riots is the most stupid thing that can be done for your protests credibility.

No, the working population will not consider that looting might be a protest, because they are the people who create the necessariy labour of the things the looters steal or destroy.
You do realise that a lot of the looters will have absolutely nothing to do with the protest? Looters are opportunists who thrive on chaos, looting is not a form of protest.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Depends on what's being looted. Loot a bag of rice and that's an indication that prices are high and/or people are desperate for food.

Loot iPhones, jewellery and maybe trainers (although clothes are necessary to some extent) and that's basically consumerism for people who couldn't otherwise afford it.

Cassidy

It is not people of color who are getting a bad name due to this case and the feckton of others like it.
I disagree. As someone who lives with the consequences. The media may be a bit more "woke" now. But the consequences are not played out in the media but in real life, abuse etc that comes from fueling bigots is real.
Police double down and see minorities as anger looters etc etc etc

Atze-Peng

Dortmund Fan
You do realise that a lot of the looters will have absolutely nothing to do with the protest? Looters are opportunists who thrive on chaos, looting is not a form of protest.
So stop them from looting during your protests so they don't have the ability to make your protests look stupid? It makes you look bad either way. You are associated with the looters directly or by not interfering when they use your protests as a means to self-gain.

Cassidy

You also said give more of.
Well if you don't think minorities are branded with bad press etc etc, treated like second class citizens and criminals just for the colour of their skin then that's you. I know the reality

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
So stop them from looting during your protests so they don't have the ability to make your protests look stupid? It makes you look bad either way. You are associated with the looters directly or by not interfering when they use your protests as a means to self-gain.
Oh give me a fecking break what an absolutely ridiculous, disingenuous argument. Look at the video I posted above, some random white guy randomly starts smashing windows and the protesters did exactly what you have requested and it makes no difference. We’re talking chaos and you think it can be self regulated.

SteveJ

Scout
I didn't expect agreement with the point I made, and realise that it's controversial to say the least. But there is truth in it.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
You said:

give black people more of a bad name
Meaning they already have a bad name, according to you - so what exactly does that mean?

Also in regards to the riots, in Minneapolis alone there have been multiple cases with similar incidents occurring in recent years - Philando Castile probably being the most high profile.

The black community in that state have been hurting for years, but their voices have gone unheard because quiet protests achieve nothing.
Source: History.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
feck off.

Atze-Peng

Dortmund Fan
Oh give me a fecking break what an absolutely ridiculous, disingenuous argument. Look at the video I posted above, some random white guy randomly starts smashing windows and the protesters did exactly what you have requested and it makes no difference. We’re talking chaos and you think it can be self regulated.
God forbid I am expecting some sort of responsibility from people no matter where they come from. Yet, every time these protests happened, massive riots and such happened. Meanwhile somehow some NRA people (and I purposefully pick them, because it's gonna rile up people a lot) doing a protest march managed to not have places burnt and looted. It's almost like there is some responsibility on the side of protestors. You know instead of being a blind mob you can also organise your protests to reduce the chaos. But I guess since it's black people protesting we have to apply lower standards to them ... which in my eyes is kinda racist of you to do.

Cassidy

You said:

Meaning they already have a bad name, according to you - so what exactly does that mean?

Also in regards to the riots, in Minneapolis alone there have been multiple cases with similar incidents occurring in recent years - Philando Castile probably being the most high profile.

The black community in that state have been hurting for years, but their voices have gone unheard because quiet protests achieve nothing.
Source: History.
1. You do realise I didn't criticise black people for rioting, I fully understand it
2. What I meant was that black people are portrayed as criminals, less trust worthy etc because of their skin colour: Source History

Also I'm sure you are aware that "quiet" or non violent protests achieve quite a lot, not that I am saying its the only sort. But then you just get into the MLK vs Malcom territory.

My main point was that if white people want to help, getting involved in rioting and looting isn't it. I personally don't see a justification for it (for a white person) but that's just me I guess

Last edited:

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I disagree. As someone who lives with the consequences. The media may be a bit more "woke" now. But the consequences are not played out in the media but in real life, abuse etc that comes from fueling bigots is real.
Police double down and see minorities as anger looters etc etc etc
I'm not talking about media portrayal which is controlled by owners and investors. I'm talking about how people who actually look at this case will view it:
Cops slowly murdered yet another person of color for no reason (unarmed, surrendered, not resisting and begging for his life), they show up with 20+ people to protect the cop who did the killing on camera. A cop that has 18 or so incidents before this that another white politician refused to do anything about (Klobuchar) before this happened. They could fire the cop based on the video but they couldn't put him in jail while investigating?

The riots are a result of the system and the people in it massively failing the people it is meant to serve. It is cops in America, the American justice system and the American politicians who are getting a bad name over this in my opinion. Riots are merely a symptom of the disease.

SteveJ

Scout
It's almost like there is some responsibility on the side of protestors
It's almost if virtually every major protest movement, citizen's union, anti-establishment organisation or demonstration since time immemorial hasn't been infiltrated by agents seeking to harm and warp their public image...

Sara125

God forbid I am expecting some sort of responsibility from people no matter where they come from. Yet, every time these protests happened, massive riots and such happened. Meanwhile somehow some NRA people (and I purposefully pick them, because it's gonna rile up people a lot) doing a protest march managed to not have places burnt and looted. It's almost like there is some responsibility on the side of protestors. You know instead of being a blind mob you can also organise your protests to reduce the chaos. But I guess since it's black people protesting we have to apply lower standards to them ... which in my eyes is kinda racist of you to do.
:lol: Like clockwork. You’re the same poster who said that Ahmaud Arbery was just as much as a threat to the two white men who shot him as he was standing within ‘fist swinging’ range of them so it’s no surprise you are in here spouting bullshit. Btw what are your thoughts of the killing of George Floyd itself, was he still a threat while his neck was being crushed by the officer’s knee?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
1. You do realise I didn't criticise black people for rioting
2. What I meant was that black people are portrayed as criminals, less trust worthy etc because of their skin colour: Source History
It's real simple, the focus on looting is taking away from the fact that black people have been protesting quietly for years
Black Lives Matter rally's & protests have been happening for the last ~8 years to no avail. In fact prominent BLM leaders have been killed & targeted in that time frame too, but it doesn't get reported by the media.
You can't keep ignoring a group of people, while actively discriminating against them and expect them to be quiet & do nothing about it.

Also, just because black people are portrayed as criminals it's not helpful to regurgitate such ignorant statements because your words can be easily misinterpreted.
Anyone who thinks black people are criminals because of how the media/society portray them were already racist to begin with & this incident won't fix that.
Black people shouldn't have to be act perfectly in order to be treated with decency & respect, especially given the historical treatment they've had to endure.

SteveJ

Scout
which in my eyes is kinda racist of you to do.
Thank you. We're all taking notes on how best to tackle the subject of societal racism, so your shrewd and nuanced guidance is particularly welcome at this difficult time.

Cassidy

I'm not talking about media portrayal which is controlled by owners and investors. I'm talking about how people who actually look at this case will view it:
Cops slowly murdered yet another person of color for no reason (unarmed, surrendered, not resisting and begging for his life), they show up with 20+ people to protect the cop who did the killing on camera. A cop that has 18 or so incidents before this that another white politician refused to do anything about (Klobuchar) before this happened. They could fire the cop based on the video but they couldn't put him in jail while investigating?

The riots are a result of the system and the people in it massively failing the people it is meant to serve. It is cops in America, the American justice system and the American politicians who are getting a bad name over this in my opinion. Riots are merely a symptom of the disease.
Cops have been murdering us for decades, its nothing new. Who today is treated like the criminal and who is not?

I understand the rioting.

However I think its incredibly naive to think that cops, the justice system and politicians are the ones taking the reputational hit. Because reality and history says otherwise.

I will believe you when countries start putting sanctions on the US for its treatment of minorities, which won't happen because most of the economically powerful nations are doing the same thing.

arnie_ni

you can use your own arguement and ask why the cops werre using water cannons and rubber bullets before the rioting and looting started whereas they let the protests by the nra people armed to the teeth go ahead without lifting a finger

Cloud7

You are the biggest troll kicking around this website these days. Do you genuinely gain enjoyment out of being like this, in every single thread?

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Dude's just an obvious racist and beneath replying to. Best just to ignore him and hope others do the same.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Cops have been murdering us for decades, its nothing new. Who today is treated like the criminal and who is not?
People of color are treated like criminals, but we were discussing how it looks. And it looks like a corrupt system where the people in power are at fault and not the innocent who are being targeted.

Atze-Peng

Dortmund Fan
It's almost if virtually every major protest movement, citizen's union, anti-establishment organisation or demonstration since time immemorial hasn't been infiltrated by agents seeking to harm and warp their public image...
Yes, it happens. Occupy wallstreet was a great example for that. Yet, some protests manage to remain peaceful without looting and burning cars happening and others don't. And when it happens, it make these protestors look bad. Or would you disagree about it making the protests look bad?

For now I assume you wouldn't. So what should protestors do? Get actually together and organise themselves to make a more reasonably protest that make more people want to agree with what they protest for. Everything else is harming their cause.

you can use your own arguement and ask why the cops werre using water cannons and rubber bullets before the rioting and looting started whereas they let the protests by the nra people armed to the teeth go ahead without lifting a finger
If that indeed happened, then police should be criticised for it. Hands down and no questions asked.
But this isn't math. Two wrongs don't make a right. You can actually criticise both sides.

Cassidy

People of color are treated like criminals, but we were discussing how it looks. And it looks like a corrupt system where the people in power are at fault and not the innocent who are being targeted.
I was never discussing that and you are the one who quoted my point... I was discussing the reality of the world people of color live in and the consequences/repercussions etc
Which is why I said, I don't believe white people joining in with riots and looting is helpful.

SteveJ

Scout
The rest of us don't, and shouldn't, get to police how other people protest - attempts to do so are indicative of ingrained privilege and mere passing, casual interest in a matter which is too often a question of life, death and daily survival; we literally how no skin in the game and it shows.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I was never discussing that and you are the one who quoted my point... I was discussing the reality of the world people of color live in and the consequences/repercussions etc
Which is why I said, I don't believe white people joining in with riots and looting is helpful.
I have to confess I'm not seeing your point. If white people weren't joining in and there were only black people rioting I don't see how the black community would get any less of the blame.