Protests following the killing of George Floyd

Abizzz

much better running commentary than any msm!

https://www.twitch.tv/woke
Been watching this one on and off since you recommended it. It's not for the fainthearted but I applaud the people putting themselves at risk to document it for the world from up close.

Carolina Red

Staff
How long did individual protests of this scale last? How much difference do you think social media makes this time?
I think social media are making them bigger. It took whole organizations like the SCLC, SNCC, COFO to get marches like what was seen at Selma or the Freedom Summer and things like that organized. Social media spawned what is, most likely, one of the biggest civil rights protests in our nation's history in hours.

The Harlem Riot of 1964 lasted about a week, as did the Watts Riot of 1965. In 1967, there was the "Long Hot Summer" where there were riots in something like 150 cities across the country. Most of those lasted about a week as well. The biggest national social unrest since the Civil War though were the individual protests and riots that followed MLK Jr's assassination... each of those lasted around a week also and spread nationwide, but they were spread out over an entire month.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
This is pretty historic what we’re witnessing. Noone knows where this ends because POTUS is apocalyptic level bad himself.
Trump is politically fcuked right now. Having argued for so long for USA to get out of lockdown and back to work, the only way he stops this now is via a national 24 hour curfew enforced by military with shoot to harm orders. Ie go back into lockdown.

And then covid19 2nd wave will mean that lockdown has to stay for another month. Lucky he has so many ventilators and PPE.

That’s what I think.

Last edited:

Irwin99

Under Trump? In the middle of covid19. Dont want to get melodramatic but it feels apocalyptic. From what I can see, entire city centres are being looted, and trashed. The state has lost public trust wrt to state security and policing. No idea how they can quickly rebuild that.

This is beginning to have global security, political and economic issues. Knock on effects could result into complete anarchy. Surely also a covid19 2nd wave now too?

Or perhaps more learned US commentators can tell me I'm over reacting.
Yeah, under Trump. Any other leader (left or right) in a democratic country would try to diffuse this situation as quickly as possible, appeal to common humanity and just move heaven and earth to calm this down. The ANTIFA tweet was another attempt at deflection.

The "Civil Rights Movement" lasted over a decade.
I'm wondering where or what the end is because it feels like a tipping point, especially if Trump gets another term. The American equivalent of the storming of Bastille or Versailles? The french revolution...with iPhones and Twitter.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Been watching this one on and off since you recommended it. It's not for the fainthearted but I applaud the people putting themselves at risk to document it for the world from up close.

Am switching between that plus twitter, Reddit and cnn on different tabs. Though I’m in London and was caught up in our own unique British Cummings political scandal, Floyd protests has had me emotionally fixated for past 3 days.

One thing has to be said: serious respect to young Americans for taking their Government apparatus to task like this.

Last edited:

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I'm loving Cuomo on CNN looking at random images of protests and in a few seconds he tells us which group each person is part of based on a shirt or a gesture.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Trump is politically fcuked right now. Having argued for so long for USA to get out of lockdown and back to work, the only way he stops this now is via a national 24 hour curfew enforced by military with shoot to harm orders. Ie go back into lockdown.

And then covid19 2nd wave will mean that lockdown has to stay for another month. Lucky he has so many ventilators and PPE.

That’s what I think.
He has most certainly monumentally fecked it up at every stage, while managing to never break his -crybaby attention seeking egocentric power trip- caricature of a character.

we are defo going to see another huge surge in covid-19 cases, but be under no illusion - he will continue to bark CHINA.

Revan

Assumptionman
Keith Ellison gonna lead the prosecution team against the cops. Very good decision.

Not sure it matters that much, Trump might just randomly decide to pardon them at the end of the day.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Any Maga bitches out there counter protesting deserve their asswhooopings. They have had it coming to them for a while.

Carolina Red

Staff
Looks like I’ll be late to my school’s graduation stuff tomorrow. City I live in just got put on curfew till 7am and I’m supposed to be 20 miles from here at... 7am.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I think social media are making them bigger. It took whole organizations like the SCLC, SNCC, COFO to get marches like what was seen at Selma or the Freedom Summer and things like that organized. Social media spawned what is, most likely, one of the biggest civil rights protests in our nation's history in hours.

The Harlem Riot of 1964 lasted about a week, as did the Watts Riot of 1965. In 1967, there was the "Long Hot Summer" where there were riots in something like 150 cities across the country. Most of those lasted about a week as well. The biggest national social unrest since the Civil War though were the individual protests and riots that followed MLK Jr's assassination... each of those lasted around a week also and spread nationwide, but they were spread out over an entire month.
Thanks for very helpful explanation. Is there a movie or book that accurately captures this era as one movement? Need to expand my knowledge on this.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It's very telling of their attitude.
I get that emotions can run high during a riot, but you get the sense that the police seems to be relishing this and is using the opportunity to lash out
They see this as a Call of Duty campaign on the lowest setting. They cannot wait to go out & light people up. These ammosexuals seem to be getting sexual arousal from this.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I'd saw off the panhandle + Tallahassee Bugs Bunny style if I could. And that's probably the nicest thing I could say upon watching that.

It ain't called Tallanasty for no reason. For real, get the feck out of north Florida pronto. Spent my high school years there and leaped across the state (to a slightly better, but still lame, city of Orlando) soon after graduation.
I was up there in school in the 90s, next stop was the west coast. Grew up in FL & was there for the past decade. Now I find myself in an equally fecked up state, GA.

Florida Man

I was up there in school in the 90s, next stop was the west coast. Grew up in FL & was there for the past decade. Now I find myself in an equally fecked up state, GA.
Which area if you don't mind me asking? I was schooling in good ole NicEVILle.

Carolina Red

Staff
Thanks for very helpful explanation. Is there a movie or book that accurately captures this era as one movement? Need to expand my knowledge on this.
No problem.

Probably the definitive read on the era would be Taylor Branch’s 3 volume set America in the King Years.

Book 1: Parting the Waters 1954-1963
Book 2: Pillar of Fire 1964-1965
Book 3: At Canaan’s Edge 1965-1968

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I just watched about an hour of live streaming from DC until the guy decided to go home after catching a bit of heat from the protestors. It was quite surreal "being there" and watching it.

entropy

Portland cops are soooo bad. It is actually telling that some of the bluest cities have the worst cops. I also remember reading that atleast 40% of police officer families experience domestic violence.

Florida Man

FSU. Grew up in St. Petersburg.
One certainly takes a step backwards when one enters Florida, one sprints backwards when one enters the panhandle & moves west.
FSU is a good time, at least. I got drunk for the first time there during my high school freshman spring break.

And when you say, move west, do you mean west as in towards Pensacola? If so, I'm so sorry. I'm right across the bay from where you grew up, sitting here in our city-wide curfew due to the protests (just to make this relevant to the thread). Thanks, Jane Castor you fecking traitor.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
FSU is a good time, at least. I got drunk for the first time there during my high school freshman spring break.

And when you say, move west, do you mean west as in towards Pensacola? If so, I'm so sorry. I'm right across the bay from where you grew up, sitting here in our city-wide curfew due to the protests (just to make this relevant to the thread). Thanks, Jane Castor you fecking traitor.
Phoenix, then San Francisco.

How is Castor doing? I knew her a little bit a few years back, she would come into the restaurant I managed years back. Used to watch United matches at MacDinton’s with Marty, Barry, etc.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Does anyone know how Trump's media mouthpiece Fox News have been covering the murder of Floyd and subsequent rioting across the US?

Abizzz

Does anyone know how Trump's media mouthpiece Fox News have been covering the murder of Floyd and subsequent rioting across the US?
I haven't checked but I imagine some redneck version of this:

Revan

Assumptionman
Checked on Friday Tucker’s show. Started as ‘protestors protesting for the killing of a black people and for long overdue social problems’ and I was what the feck is going on, since when Tucker decided to not be a twat?Then he showed a video of looters, started laughing and turned the story upside down. Essentially, it was all about the protestors looting and destroying their cities.

roseguy64

From what I can see from the images on here and on other media forums we have a large majority of people who are sick and tired of the police treating coloured people in such ways so are peacefully protesting. Then we have people on the streets who lets be honest don't care about George Floyd and they are they to use the tension to break into shops and steal.

For me that gives the movement a bad name and makes it easy for the racist's in Amercia to point the finger and say well look at them .
Coloured people isn't a thing anymore btw.

Also, the racists would say that regardless of what people did. So their opinions are irrelevant unless they're in power. Those opinions matter.