Protests following the killing of George Floyd

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
He has most certainly monumentally fecked it up at every stage, while managing to never break his -crybaby attention seeking egocentric power trip- caricature of a character.

we are defo going to see another huge surge in covid-19 cases, but be under no illusion - he will continue to bark CHINA.
Wouldn't be surprised if he and the MAGA crowd start to blame the protesters for that, in contradiction to their own frantic opposition to basic safety measures.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
There are many, many examples of change that has occurred on the back of peaceful protest, incidental or otherwise - the Montgomery Bus being one notable example.
The Montgomery Bus boycott was a great example of denying capital to the very same regime that oppressed you in the first place (which i've briefly mentioned in here). However the actual boycott was limited to Montgomery primarily, it wasn't a large scale demonstration and even after the bill passed to remove segregation on buses, segregation still existed at the bus stops, plus some of those who participated in the boycott were arrested too. Also it's important to note that it was the MIA group filing a lawsuit which led to the laws changing - there's nothing to suggest that had the protest gone on, without a lawsuit that any change in laws would've occurred.
As far as non-violence goes, in the immediate aftermath of the bill passing in the Supreme Court - Black Americans who sat in the front of buses were attacked, snipers used to shoot through the windows & MLK's house was bombed, plus many other instances.

Sure, the bill passed through non-violence & it was a great first step in Civil Rights, but the Bus Boycott by itself wasn't the large scale societal change that i'm referring to here, it was simply igniting the match, because the Civil Rights movement lasted 10 years after the fact - again, an incredible amount of violence here.
I'd even argue that segregation isn't completely over when you look at Residential Segregation & School segregation.

I'd also argue that a lot of the success of the Bus Boycott was due to a lack of visibility to those who weren't impacted; word of mouth & passing of leaflets to other black people were the main methods used to drive communication & action in the black community - in a majority black town.
If you were white, it didn't impact you & if you lived in a different state, chances are you didn't hear about it, or couldn't participate in it.
It was a smaller scale demonstration that led to a nationwide change of 1 specific law, but the entire aim was an end to all segregation and that was just the first step.

What other examples do you have?

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Where's Trump? Why isn't he addressing the nation he's responsible for? It's time for statesmanship, and unfortunately he doesn't have any. It's absolutely disastrous "leadership".

Abizzz

Where's Trump? Why isn't he addressing the nation he's responsible for? It's time for statesmanship, and unfortunately he doesn't have any. It's absolutely disastrous "leadership".
I won't give him any credit for it because it's his nature that leads me to say this, but: The longer he stays quiet the better. There is no way anything that comes from his mind and mouth improves this situation.

Revan

Assumptionman
He’s been tweeting single word tweets all day long. That takes time and energy, so he now needs to rest.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Checked on Friday Tucker’s show. Started as ‘protestors protesting for the killing of a black people and for long overdue social problems’ and I was what the feck is going on, since when Tucker decided to not be a twat?Then he showed a video of looters, started laughing and turned the story upside down. Essentially, it was all about the protestors looting and destroying their cities.
Why are you surprised. Western media are always biased when it comes to naratives.

They drummed you non stop on looters looting, arsons, violent riots, etc. Guess which part their side on in all of this

Gee Male

How come so many of these videos are unavailable immediately? Is it Twitter taking them down? If so, why?

Revan

Assumptionman
Why are you surprised. Western media are always biased when it comes to naratives.

They drummed you non stop on looters looting, arsons, violent riots, etc. Guess which part their side on in all of this
I am not surprised. I was surprised for like 20 seconds when Tucker looked like he is going to give an unbiased and non-agenda driven segment of his show.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
The reactions to this are quite telling.

From the people that brought you "ITs JusT THe FLu" now comes "aLL LiVEs mATTer"

That bubble must be fun to live in.

arnie_ni

My area has had small peaceful protests, but listening in to lapd radio and Santa Monica, it’s getting really busy. Lots of burglaries, armed robberies, carjackings, and looting of stores with no officers to respond to, and a unit just got shot at 4x in a drive by. Just lawlessness all around the southland since they know they’ll get away with it.
I think that is ok tbh.
These two posts were one after each other. What exactly are you condoning here?

TheReligion

Abusive

jungledrums

The Montgomery Bus boycott was a great example of denying capital to the very same regime that oppressed you in the first place (which i've briefly mentioned in here). However the actual boycott was limited to Montgomery primarily, it wasn't a large scale demonstration and even after the bill passed to remove segregation on buses, segregation still existed at the bus stops, plus some of those who participated in the boycott were arrested too. Also it's important to note that it was the MIA group filing a lawsuit which led to the laws changing - there's nothing to suggest that had the protest gone on, without a lawsuit that any change in laws would've occurred.
As far as non-violence goes, in the immediate aftermath of the bill passing in the Supreme Court - Black Americans who sat in the front of buses were attacked, snipers used to shoot through the windows & MLK's house was bombed, plus many other instances.

Sure, the bill passed through non-violence & it was a great first step in Civil Rights, but the Bus Boycott by itself wasn't the large scale societal change that i'm referring to here, it was simply igniting the match, because the Civil Rights movement lasted 10 years after the fact - again, an incredible amount of violence here.
I'd even argue that segregation isn't completely over when you look at Residential Segregation & School segregation.

I'd also argue that a lot of the success of the Bus Boycott was due to a lack of visibility to those who weren't impacted; word of mouth & passing of leaflets to other black people were the main methods used to drive communication & action in the black community - in a majority black town.
If you were white, it didn't impact you & if you lived in a different state, chances are you didn't hear about it, or couldn't participate in it.
It was a smaller scale demonstration that led to a nationwide change of 1 specific law, but the entire aim was an end to all segregation and that was just the first step.

What other examples do you have?
You make valid points, but they don’t refute my point: it was still a peaceful protest that prompted change. The degree to which the bus boycott specifically brought about change can be debated, sure, but that moment is nonetheless viewed as a pivotal, peaceful, and historic protest that sparked significant change. That’s really the intention of my comment: to dispute the suggestion that peaceful protest cannot bring about change. I’m not really sure you can argue that point, it is grounded in fact and supported by history.

To answer your question: Rosa Parks (as we’ve discussed), the push for Baltic independence, the suffrage march, and the farmers strikes in the mid 20th century are all examples of peaceful resistance that prompted significant change. A cursory google search reveals others, too.

I don’t actually want to wade into whether or not what is occurring right now (ie the riots) is necessary to prompt change. I really have no idea, but I sure hope that something meaningful can come from it. It’s a travesty that this problem has been unaddressed for so long, as you alluded to in an earlier post, but to say flatly that no meaningful change has occurred on the back of peaceful protest is untrue.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
With regard to random arrests by cops on protesters doing nothing, isn't that because in a riot situation they are lawfully allowed to arrest you just for being there? Moreso if a curfew has been declared.

Abizzz

With regard to random arrests by cops on protesters doing nothing, isn't that because in a riot situation they are lawfully allowed to arrest you just for being there? Moreso if a curfew has been declared.
While it's legal the fact remains that their answer to protests against police brutality is to criminalize the protests. Make up your own mind to who's the good one here.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
What a cool motherfecker.

Loved him when he said to them ‘you’re the dumbest morherfeckers I have seen, how did you even become police, oh well, everyone can now become a police’.
All this needed was some classic Eddie Murphy.

TheReligion

Abusive
Oh didn't know it was a year old, but how do you know he isn't fbi since they looked at his id and uncuffed him?
Because it's just his ID. As said they were looking for someone by name and when they saw his ID realised it wasn't him.

The guys who was stopped has an Instagram page you can view with a longer video.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Donalds USA in burning. Its such a shame that a once great country has descended into a cesspit of hate and violence.

TheReligion

Abusive
Donalds USA in burning. Its such a shame that a once great country has descended into a cesspit of hate and violence.
I hear on the news he apparently went into a bunker overnight. Is that confirmed? If so the powers that be must be pretty concerned about what's going on right now.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I'm not american. But i do feel the brunt of their heavy handed world police policing.

They're practically in cohort to tople government and frame the other party as the bad guys times and times again.

Their policy on world policing mirors their local policing. Preying on the weak and kneeling on their neck when they're down. Good luck arguing with them about human rights