Protests following the killing of George Floyd

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Thanks, man. I'm just curious that if other non-white race is in-charge of power, they wouldn't do the same (or even worse). What do you think?
Yes, it likely would. Racism is just one type of bias. As an African I've seen black on black racism, tribalism, east vs west or North versus South, religious or ideologic persecution, and the list goes on.

Racism is arguably the ugliest and most pronounced bias in the world today, but there are many others that need to be fought.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
There is no police handbook which permits the police to use the same force against the white man Tony Timpa either. It's nothing more than a bold assumption to say race is the motivation here.
Yeah, right.

What you and Buchan do is reduce the killing of George Floyd to one singular incident of one singular cop, and then act like his lawyer. One needs only a minimal amount of sense and goodwill to see this incident within the context of the bigger picture, which neither of you have shown.

Last edited:

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I'm not disparaging anyone who doesn't want to go outside due to the pandemic. I'm also not disparaging anyone who feels the need to protest.

I'm reserving comment for those who feel the need to condescend on protesters as if they don't understand the additional risks they are taking on by stepping outside the door.
This is good. I'm somewhat torn on it and can fully understand the reservations of those with concerns over spreading the virus. However you can't bottle this outpouring up and preserve it for a future time with sunnier forecasts.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I'm not disparaging anyone who doesn't want to go outside due to the pandemic. I'm also not disparaging anyone who feels the need to protest.

I'm reserving comment for those who feel the need to condescend on protesters as if they don't understand the additional risks they are taking on by stepping outside the door.
Exactly, people shouting covid19 when talking about the protests need to understand that for the protestors the cause is worth the risk.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
NYT Editors: "The end of the American Republic is newsworthy, so we're going to do our damnedest to publish every GOP authoritarian who seeks to bring it about."
Blimey, that's rather outspoken.

AFC NimbleThumb

There is no police handbook which permits the police to use the same force against the white man Tony Timpa either. It's nothing more than a bold assumption to say race is the motivation here.
Are you saying systemic racism can’t be an issue because someone hasn’t explicitly stated their dislike for a race?

Do you understand that the Black Lives Matter movement has not, does not & is not saying police brutality is solely against black people?

Highlighting the disproportionate punishment black people receive from law enforcement isn’t saying certain other groups [usually, the poor of all ethnicities] don’t have their own issues with law enforcement.

You’re attempting to speak on behalf of a man who knelt on he windpipe of a man for in excess of 8 minutes & has 18 complaints on file against him because ‘police kill white people too’, no sh*t sherlock!

By your reasoning the assumption race is the motivation here has as much validity as your protestation it doesn’t :rolleyes:

‘African Americans’ are less than 15% of the US population but are more than twice as likely to be killed unarmed than their white counterparts - we don’t need Chauvin to tell us he wanted to kill a black man to know he works for an institution that certainly do not discourage excessive & often deadly force against their black citizens.

Googling ‘white man killed by cops’ & throwing around Tony Timpa’s name is low even for the race baiters of RaceCafe.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Exactly, people shouting covid19 when talking about the protests need to understand that for the protestors the cause is worth the risk.
Yep. And I'm sure that those who subsequently come into contact with those protesters (who knew the risk) will be saying to themselves how much they appreciate them protesting in London whilst they're in hospital. Dying alone.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Twitter said:
Looting Vons in Santa Monica in memory of whatever his name was.
As contrasted greatly by the exceptionally wealthy, white President who barely pays lip service to Floyd's name before swiftly moving on to the incitement of violence...

roseguy64

Referring to your first point both America and the UK have seen such protests. America has had a lot of communities very anti-lockdown anyway. The UK have been very soft on lockdown and pretty much since the Cummings incident a lot of the country have given up on lockdown all together. My personal feelings are many people are protesting, especially in London, because they are off work and there is nothing else to do. It’s got a lot of media attention because for the last 3 months all the news has been about is COVID and now they can talk about something else. That is not to say the protest is not a worthy cause but to suggest people are there to fight a cause bigger than COVID, I just don’t think that’s true. The particular incident happened in America so why are people suddenly campaigning in the UK? The media plays such a huge part in blowing an event into something much bigger than it actually is. Wasn’t the original point to ensure Chauvin and his colleagues got first degree murder charges? I know that hasn’t happened yet but I would very surprised if he doesn’t get that verdict. Then what exactly?

As for my second point. I can only speak of the UK but I really don’t think ethnic minorities are hindered because of their skin colour, more to do with their financial situation when growing up. I appreciate the counter argument will be ethnic minorities are poor due to their skin colour. But the reality for most ethnic minority people is they or their prior generations came from poorer countries. Their families would have had to start from the bottom and it’s not easy to get up that financial ladder. I would suggest that’s a systematic error of not helping the poorest in our society. This is not to say racism doesn’t exist in the UK, unfortunately that will be difficult to eradicate completely. But systematic racism? Not for me.
....?

roseguy64

What's insane is that people are defending this protest in the UK at this time. The murder of George Floyd and police brutality is a much more pertinent and current threat to black people in the USA. If the UK protest is a direct response to that event then it's pointless because it will have no bearing on the situation in the US. If the protest is more about racism as a whole in the UK and globally then why now, in the middle of a pandemic? It's fecking stupid.
....?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
In a dark way, I find it hilarious when people feel the need to pose as a member of the opposing side of an argument only to wreak havoc and do things they know the opposing side would never do, in an effort to discredit them. Once you've crossed that line, you've essentially admitted that you have no valid counterarguments.
It may come across as losers strategy but sadly it works well. Have seen it here in my country too where goons will create trouble to tarnish a movement/protest. Sadly people do fall for the trap.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Isn't he right? Why on earth do people in the UK want to create another health debacle by organising protests for an incident and issue in the US? We have had many protests here pre covid too and they've all been put on pause. Now in the US it's just flared up and hence I understand people feeling the need to act now. But one had to take into account covid especially in countries that aren't the US.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
White people get let off with warnings / slaps on the wrist for things more often.

Ex) that white shitstain at Stanford that raped a girl and got 3 months in jail and probation for it. Meanwhile there are black people serving multi-year sentences in federal prison for possession of marijuana.
Ah ok no, I got charged with assault for having a fight with someone who attacked me first. Was literally stood talking to the officer who said he'd have done the exact same :lol: make that 1 finger left

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Are you saying systemic racism can’t be an issue because someone hasn’t explicitly stated their dislike for a race?

Do you understand that the Black Lives Matter movement has not, does not & is not saying police brutality is solely against black people?

Highlighting the disproportionate punishment black people receive from law enforcement isn’t saying certain other groups [usually, the poor of all ethnicities] don’t have their own issues with law enforcement.

You’re attempting to speak on behalf of a man who knelt on he windpipe of a man for in excess of 8 minutes & has 18 complaints on file against him because ‘police kill white people too’, no sh*t sherlock!

By your reasoning the assumption race is the motivation here has as much validity as your protestation it doesn’t :rolleyes:

‘African Americans’ are less than 15% of the US population but are more than twice as likely to be killed unarmed than their white counterparts - we don’t need Chauvin to tell us he wanted to kill a black man to know he works for an institution that certainly do not discourage excessive & often deadly force against their black citizens.

Googling ‘white man killed by cops’ & throwing around Tony Timpa’s name is low even for the race baiters of RaceCafe.
Non-Jewish gay people and gypsys were killed in camps by the Nazis so there was no holocaust by that logic.

Was that a Godwin's Law breech? Probably not quite as I wasn't comparing the two events but just the logic of the arguments.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Isn't he right? Why on earth do people in the UK want to create another health debacle by organising protests for an incident and issue in the US? We have had many protests here pre covid too and they've all been put on pause. Now in the US it's just flared up and hence I understand people feeling the need to act now. But one had to take into account covid especially in countries that aren't the US.
If covid wasn't happening right now we'd likely see many more protestor out there. However, for those that are out there its obviously either the need to protest is more important to them than the risk of covid.

Carolina Red

Staff
Unarmed, black, Muslim... 3 strikes and you’re out apparently

I would like to point out though that this is turning into the stuff that was broadcast in the 1960s - cops brutally attacking unarmed people on camera - that turned the nation’s sentiment against the police and toward the protestors.

AFC NimbleThumb

Non-Jewish gay people and gypsys were killed in camps by the Nazis so there was no holocaust by that logic.

Was that a Godwin's Law breech? Probably not quite as I wasn't comparing the two events but just the logic of the arguments.
Come again.

Are you responding about your pseudo account? Is this Wibble or hmchan.

Godwin’s law :lol:

Ludens the Red

As for my second point. I can only speak of the UK but I really don’t think ethnic minorities are hindered because of their skin colour, more to do with their financial situation when growing up. I appreciate the counter argument will be ethnic minorities are poor due to their skin colour. But the reality for most ethnic minority people is they or their prior generations came from poorer countries. Their families would have had to start from the bottom and it’s not easy to get up that financial ladder. I would suggest that’s a systematic error of not helping the poorest in our society. This is not to say racism doesn’t exist in the UK, unfortunately that will be difficult to eradicate completely. But systematic racism? Not for me.
Christ, missed this one. Somehow you've managed two posts of that horseshit and you're yet to be called a Cnut. That's impressive.

Black Britons and those of south Asian origin face “shocking” discrimination in the labour market at levels unchanged since the late 1960s, research has found.

A study by experts based at the Centre for Social Investigation at Nuffield College, University of Oxford, found applicants from minority ethnic backgrounds had to send 80% more applications to get a positive response from an employer than a white person of British origin.

A linked study by the same researchers, comparing their results with similar field experiments dating back to 1969, found discrimination against black Britons and those of south Asian origin – particularly Pakistanis – unchanged over almost 50 years.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...hnic-britons-face-shocking-job-discrimination

Fergus Wilson, a landlord in Kent, made headlines this week after The Sun published his email to a letting agent which included the line: “No coloured people because of the curry smell at the end of the tenancy.”

When confronted, the 70-year-old property owner only responded with the claim “we’re getting overloaded with coloured people”. The letting agents said they would not carry out his orders, which were illegal.

The combination of blatant racism, a tired stereotype and the outdated language may make Wilson seem suspiciously like a Time Landlord who has somehow slipped in from 1974. But unfortunately he is more modern than he seems.

Back in 2013, a BBC undercover investigation found 10 letting agent firms willing to discriminate against black tenants at the landlord’s request. One manager was filmed saying: “99 per cent of my landlords don’t want Afro-Caribbeans.”
https://www.citymetric.com/politics...e-rental-sector-enables-racist-landlords-2919

London is an outlier in terms of the data – having the most diverse workforce but the least diverse leadership: 40 per cent of the population in London is from a BME background, 43 per cent of the NHS workforce in London is from a BME background, yet only 14 per cent of board-level positions are held by people from a BME background. Simon Stevens, Chief Executive of NHS England, opened the session with a powerful reminder that the issue of race equality is not only about fairness – it’s fundamental to the NHS mission of reducing inequalities in care.
https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/blog/2018/03/bme-representation-nhs-leadership

But no no, you're right, it's all to do with their finances growing up. Now go on, tell me again how you've had "similar nonsense from me before so wont go any further"...

Ignorant, deluded imbecile.

And what the feck is ". I appreciate the counter argument will be ethnic minorities are poor due to their skin colour.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Cops.... You'd think at times like this some sensitivity and some restraint are being preached from the top, even for the sake of not fueling the protest further.

I get it not all cops are good, but if in the amidst of a west world protest can't they'd stop being so brutal on live television. Assaulting pers from Australia? I mean what the feck, are they trying hard to be obtuse? Surely nobody can be that dumb? Or are they actually closet protester themselves trying to raise the point?

Are they being instructed specifically to be violent? I'm amazed no one ever leaked a police training manual, and maybe we can judge for ourselves how they're trained

Abizzz

Cops.... You'd think at times like this some sensitivity and some restraint are being preached from the top, even for the sake of not fueling the protest further.

I get it not all cops are good, but if in the amidst of a west world protest can't they'd stop being so brutal on live television. Assaulting pers from Australia? I mean what the feck, are they trying hard to be obtuse? Surely nobody can be that dumb? Or are they actually closet protester themselves trying to raise the point?

Are they being instructed specifically to be violent? I'm amazed no one ever leaked a police training manual, and maybe we can judge for ourselves how they're trained
This is what restraint looks like for them. They aren't opening fire on toddlers at the moment.