PSG vs Man Utd | Build-up Thread | Return leg Wednesday 06.03

Mike Smalling

So excited for this game! This is another step up compared to the Arsenal and Spurs games, in terms of challenges for Ole. If he does well in this tie and vs. Liverpool I will begin leaning heavily towards giving him the job.

I don't necessarily expect us to go through over two ties, but I am definitely expecting a good performance and result tomorrow. Let's go!

Gasolin

Against United, the starting 11---------------------> around 400 millions of euros

------between 36 and 42------------------63
-------------31 ----- 10
5------------------------------------0
-----------0 ----42 ---- 37

Neymar: 220 millions of euros
Cavani: 63 millions
Thiago Silva: 42 millions
Marquinhos: 31 millions
Kurzawa: 22 millions
Verratti: 10 millions
Meunier: 6 millions
Bernat: 5 millions
Dani Alves: free agent
Buffon: free agent
Kimpembe: academy
Areola: academy
Diaby: academy
Nkunku: academy
That's not the right way to value, and he was just referring to the market value.
If not, Messi will never be valued!

PSG front line with Mbappe, Draxler and Di Maria:
200 + 30 + 45 = 275M EUR.

Cavani is 55M and Neymar 180M.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Shouldn't this be in the United forum now?
Absolutely spot on. It was my first reaction when I have discovered this thread here.

You have certainly a top-tier logical reasoning in real life.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Absolutely spot on. It was my first reaction when I have discovered this thread here.

You have certainly a top-tier logical reasoning in real life.
Aha. It started as a general CL thread I think, but it's not now. I should be a mod.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Paredes won't play, or will sub Verratti around the 70's.

He isn't ready to follow the intensity of a CL game, however he will probably play in Paris.

As already mentioned PSG's team will most probably be :

----------------Mbappe-------------------
---------Draxler---------DiMaria---------
-Bernat--Marquinhos--Verratti----Alves-
---Kimpembe---Thiago Silva---Kherer---

Tuchel will alternate between this and a 4-3-3 with Marquinhos, Verratti and Alves in the midfield and Kherer playing RB
That's two defenders in midfield, will you have the vision or technique to find good passes for the pacy front three if Verratti is man-marked by say Herrera?

The three forwards will be fluid and change positions to draw our defenders out, I presume.

Also, it's nice to be able to ask this question, but how do you think you'll deal with Pogba?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Pogba to score a hattrick, get a standing ovation from PSG, then sign a pre contract agreement next year talking about how he can't wait to be back home in France. Just kidding, but we'll win.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
That's two defenders in midfield, will you have the vision or technique to find good passes for the pacy front three if Verratti is man-marked by say Herrera?

The three forwards will be fluid and change positions to draw our defenders out, I presume.

Also, it's nice to be able to ask this question, but how do you think you'll deal with Pogba?
Bizarre but lovely to see anyone ask how the opposition will deal with one of OUR players in a knockout Champions League tie.

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
Bizarre but lovely to see anyone ask how the opposition will deal with one of OUR players in a knockout Champions League tie.
Speaks volumes, doesn't it? I was wondering how poor we've been in Europe since SAF retired, and the memories are not pleasant.

2013-14: CL QF
Confident group stages, where Nani was outstanding when we scored 5 against Leverkusen. Terrible 1st leg against Olympiakos, probably the worst United performance in Europe that I've seen. RvP hattrick in the 2nd somehow turned it around. Eked out a defensive draw at home to Bayern (Welbeck's miss, anyone?) . Heartbreaking collapse away after Evra's screamer - that is when SAF's retirement hit home for me.

2014-15: No CL/EL
No European football. It was painful to watch from the side lines when all I could do was cheer on Pogba and Evra who lost in the final against Barca.

2015-16: CL group stage exit, EL R16
Finished 3rd in group stage after failing to beat PSV even once. Lost to Wolfsburg with an injury hit defence (LVG's bizarre decision to bring on Nick Powell as a last ditch gamble stands out). Beat Midtjylland with a Memphis special and Rashford's arrival, but got thrashed by Liverpool after that. Terrible football throughout it all.

2016-17: EL winners
One of Mourinho's better moments here, completing the European set. The football was defensive but mostly solid. Underperformed finishing second in group stages, did the job against inferior opponents most of the way. Lucky to survive against Celta Vigo in a scrappy second leg where we were a last second John Guidetti sitter away from crashing out at OT. A true tactical masterclass from Jose in the final saw us outfox an inexperienced Ajax side.

2017-18: CL R16 exit.
Seemed to be going fine when we cruised through an easy group stage (with a particularly impressive away victory against CSKA Moscow in which Lukaku got a brace). Then we went to Sevilla and failed to score in a 0-0, and then surrendered 1-2 in an abject manner at home. The worst European performance after Olympiakos, and this was probably when most fans turned against Mourinho. That 'football heritage' presser was infuriating.

The only 'illustrious' opponents we've faced in Europe since SAF have been Bayern under Moyes, Liverpool under LVG, and Ajax under Mourinho - and all those games have been about stifling the opposition rather than taking the game to them.

Ole has a chance to change the narrative at the fourth time of asking, and I hope to God he takes it. When we travel for the away leg, I'd like to the headlines to be about how PSG can turn it around, and if they can contain Pogba, Rashford and Martial.

RG 11

Speaks volumes, doesn't it? I was wondering how poor we've been in Europe since SAF retired, and the memories are not pleasant.

Confident group stages, where Nani was outstanding when we scored 5 against Leverkusen. Terrible 1st leg against Olympiakos, probably the worst United performance in Europe that I've seen. RvP hattrick in the 2nd somehow turned it around. Eked out a defensive draw at home to Bayern (Welbeck's miss, anyone?) . Heartbreaking collapse away after Evra's screamer - that is when SAF's retirement hit home for me.

No European football. It was painful to watch from the side lines when all I could do was cheer on Pogba and Evra who lost in the final against Barca.

Finished 3rd in group stage after failing to beat PSV even once. Lost to Wolfsburg with an injury hit defence (LVG's bizarre decision to bring on Nick Powell as a last ditch gamble stands out). Beat Midtjylland with a Memphis special and Rashford's arrival, but got thrashed by Liverpool after that. Terrible football throughout it all.

One of Mourinho's better moments here, completing the European set. The football was defensive but mostly solid. Underperformed finishing second in group stages, did the job against inferior opponents most of the way. Lucky to survive against Celta Vigo in a scrappy second leg where we were a last second John Guidetti sitter away from crashing out at OT. A true tactical masterclass from Jose in the final saw us outfox an inexperienced Ajax side.

Seemed to be going fine when we cruised through an easy group stage (with a particularly impressive away victory against CSKA Moscow in which Lukaku got a brace). Then we went to Sevilla and failed to score in a 0-0, and then surrendered 1-2 in an abject manner at home. The worst European performance after Olympiakos, and this was probably when most fans turned against Mourinho. That 'football heritage' presser was infuriating.

The only 'illustrious' opponents we've faced in Europe since SAF have been Bayern under Moyes, Liverpool under LVG, and Ajax under Mourinho - and all those games have been about stifling the opposition rather than taking the game to them.

Ole has a chance to change the narrative at the fourth time of asking, and I hope to God he takes it. When we travel for the away leg, I'd like to the headlines to be about how PSG can turn it around, and if they can contain Pogba, Rashford and Martial.
Excellent summary. Made me relive those horrible times.

That Bayern second leg especially when Evra scored, you just had this irrational hope that we are still United and might fluke our way to the CL. It all came crashing down within minutes though.

Womp

idiot

We’ve sat back, absorbed pressure and hit all big teams on the break under Ole. We will do the same here, even with Neymar and Cavani out imo.

It’s been effective. I don’t see us switching it up and trying to take the game to them

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot

First of all great post!!

But i had already a couple of heart attacks against Anderlecht in the Quarter-final 2nd leg :lol:.......Guidetti's miss has then nearly killed me....i have had already tickets for the final therefore i would have killed Mourinho if we would have gone out against fecking Celta de Vigo.

To win the Europa League was great but in hindsight our whole Europa League campaign was poor given the opponents......both legs against St Etienne and the final against Ajax were our only positive performances.

Red_toad

Shame Meunier is out Martial would have tore him a new one.
Think I’d prefer Dalot on the right wing in front of Young. Going to be an interesting match all the same.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
That Bayern second leg especially when Evra scored, you just had this irrational hope that we are still United and might fluke our way to the CL. It all came crashing down within minutes though.
Oh yeah I remember that. Just left me speechless after I almost broke the TV. At that moment we all sort of realised what to expect from the following seasons. Damn, I think Welbeck had a big chance or something too, or a penalty shout or something like that. I still think we deserved to win:lol:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

I think my blood pressure just shot up after reading your very good summary. It is amazing how the human brain can block out so many bad memories. The tipping point was Seville -- there is only so much the brain can take before crashing. Just one too many (bad) memories to handle.

fallengt

Nice summary. We've been unbelievably mediocre in the European cups.

Hope Ole gives players some inspiration this time. He had seen it all, I'm sure he has stories to tell

Bearded One

They still look dangerous even without Cavani and Neymar however we must put ourselves in good position for the next fixture in Paris. I'd go:

Martial Rashford Lingard
Pogba Matic Herrera
Shaw Jones Lindelof Young
De Gea​

Chicharo

We never do good when playing the second leg away and need to win. When was the last time? Ronaldo's stunner against Porto?
Any win with a clean sheet, and I'll be ok with it

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout

'We are Man United and we're gonna win this' was my firm belief, too. I couldn't believe it when we proceeded to concede all those goals - the gulf in quality just opened up when they stepped it up by another gear. It was difficult to accept, but I think that is when most of us realised that we no longer had the manger or the team to match our expectations.

We’ve sat back, absorbed pressure and hit all big teams on the break under Ole. We will do the same here, even with Neymar and Cavani out imo.

It’s been effective. I don’t see us switching it up and trying to take the game to them
I think we'll set up on the counter, too. I would just like it if we put them on the back foot for a change even if its for 15 minutes somewhere in the game.
First of all great post!!

But i had already a couple of heart attacks against Anderlecht in the Quarter-final 2nd leg :lol:.......Guidetti's miss has then nearly killed me....i have had already tickets for the final therefore i would have killed Mourinho if we would have gone out against fecking Celta de Vigo.

To win the Europa League was great but in hindsight our whole Europa League campaign was poor given the opponents......both legs against St Etienne and the final against Ajax were our only positive performances.
I somehow don't remember being worried against Anderlecht at all. We lost Ibra to his horrible injury, but apart from that it was us dominating throughout. But I agree that our run in general was underwhelming.
Oh yeah I remember that. Just left me speechless after I almost broke the TV. At that moment we all sort of realised what to expect from the following seasons. Damn, I think Welbeck had a big chance or something too, or a penalty shout or something like that. I still think we deserved to win:lol:

Kapardin

They still look dangerous even without Cavani and Neymar however we must put ourselves in good position for the next fixture in Paris. I'd go:

Martial Rashford Lingard
Pogba Matic Herrera
Shaw Jones Lindelof Young
De Gea​
Smalling for Jones. But I suppose Jones will start as he has more games under his belt while Smalling has just come back.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
3-1 to United, i was about to say give Neymar a good kicking in the opening exchanges, he will disappear and resort to honing his acting skills for the rest of the game, but hes not playing.

Santoryo

ripping the reward

You forgot Juventus.

cusmarr

Supports
PSG

1) Draxler will come back to help in the midfield, he can play 10 and dictate the game. With Bernat and Alves going forward it's not a problem if he comes in the midfield to do so. Moreover, Marquinhos and especialy Thiago Silva have very good long passes skill. I forgot Dani Alves who also is not that bad at finding good passes.
It's not optimal, but we compose with the player we have.

2) Tuchel loves to make the game very fluid, i guess so.

3) Regarding Pogba, I bet Marquinhos might do a manmarking on him, remember he is a defender normally, so his defensive skills will help a lot. I think Draxler and Di Maria will come and help to put the pressure on Pogba every single time he gets the ball. It will be crucial not to let him easily organize your plays .

haram

Spoke to Ecstatic and I think this is what the team will be with Meunier now injured.

Buffon
Kehrer TS Kimpembe
Alves Verratti Marquinhos Bernat
di Maria Mbappe Draxler

Have to attack that right hand side. I think Verratti and Kehrer are a yellow away from missing the second leg as well. Need Ander to wind the Italian up :lol:

Thisistheone

This is the leaked PSG team going around on twitter:

-----------------Buffon
-------Kehrer Silva Kimpembe
Alves----------------------------Bernat
-----------Veratti Marquinos
-----Di Maria Mbappe Draxler

Looks quite defensive with 5 at the back and Marquinos ahead. Perhaps Tuchel is concerned with how we got in behind Spurs and Arsenal's full backs. Could be an interesting tactical battle.

Siorac

It shouldn't have though, Rooney had an excellent chance at 1-1 to put us ahead again. If only... I mean, we would have been destroyed by Real Madrid but still.

Eplel

Tuchel will be so focused on Pogba-Rashford and Martial, he won't even see how Lingod will score a brace in the first 20 minutes.