Queen Elizabeth II | 1926-2022 | Rest in Peace

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
https://www.dazeddigital.com/life-c...he-english-love-oppression-queen-royal-family

The English have loved bootlicking for quite some time, makes sense.
That was an interesting read. I think there’s some truth in it about how, in this country specifically, history happens around us…that we are passive participants but we don’t see ourselves as agents of change. That thought actually reflects British politics for the last 6-7 years, maybe even further back to when Tories regained power actually.
Dazeddigital

Going places other high quality outlets wouldn’t dare to tread
What did you think of the article?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Is it actually possible to shag a flag?

I guess you could make it into an elementary fleshlight by utilising rubber bands, however the issue you'd then have is making it fly after the remnants have dried.

Food for thought now that the funeral is over I guess.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
@2cents, that's fascinating. I haven't read it all yet, but I can recommend pages 17 to 20 of the PDF.

If anyone thinks Britain has a long and storied tradition of great pageantry, this absolutely dispels that myth. It's a relatively modern thing, during the last 130 years or so.
it makes for fascinating reading and eloquently explains the relatively recent origins of all of this pomp and ceremony that so many of you are moaning about. I highly recommend that you make the effort to read the extract as it also gives us some insights into why the monarchy has been able to survive in its present form for over a century.
Yeah it's really good. It's from a classic collection of essays called The Invention of Tradition, there's a PDF you can find floating around online with a quick google if you're interested.

Also welcome back @Grinner.

TheReligion

Abusive
That was an interesting read. I think there’s some truth in it about how, in this country specifically, history happens around us…that we are passive participants but we don’t see ourselves as agents of change. That thought actually reflects British politics for the last 6-7 years, maybe even further back to when Tories regained power actually.

What did you think of the article?
10/10 would read again

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
https://www.dazeddigital.com/life-c...he-english-love-oppression-queen-royal-family

The English have loved bootlicking for quite some time, makes sense.
It reads as something produced by someone that has to create a quantity of content and this is the best idea they could think of at the time.

The early stuff applies to other countries as well as the English, in some cases more so.

The French and Russian revolutions occurred because those countries were more hierarchical than Britain, not less.

He seems to think the current royal family does actually rule the country, which is bollocks, and completely misses the one blindingly obvious example of disgraceful real hereditary and unelected power in Britain today, the House of Lords.

It has some content.

2/10

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Ruffled a few feathers?

I don’t give a toss. You've got some weird Kent stating Kim Jong would do over prince Charles in a fight.

You think I'm actually arsed about the monarchy? I'm laughing at you while you're laughing at me.

Yesterday was a funeral and I hope to feck someone turns up at one of your loved ones and pisses in all your drinks.
sorry to have to post this again but I know what some of you lot are like

Please, this cannot be allowed here. For gods sake someone has passed away, this is not right mods. I know this poster has a longstanding history here, but this is not right. I can't be the only one that thinks this?

Zen86

It reads as something produced by someone that has to create a quantity of content and this is the best idea they could think of at the time.

The early stuff applies to other countries as well as the English, in some cases more so.

The French and Russian revolutions occurred because those countries were more hierarchical than Britain, not less.

He seems to think the current royal family does actually rule the country, which is bollocks, and completely misses the one blindingly obvious example of disgraceful real hereditary and unelected power in Britain today, the House of Lords.

It has some content.

2/10
Why focus on the real problems in society when you can just hate on the Windsors.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
sorry to have to post this again but I know what some of you lot are like

Please, this cannot be allowed here. For gods sake someone has passed away, this is not right mods. I know this poster has a longstanding history here, but this is not right. I can't be the only one that thinks this?
Put him on ignore.

Foxbatt

As a Non British and non English I can say that this is a lot of bollocks on the thread and the article mentioned in some newspaper. If anyone thinks the Monarch rules then he or she is an idiot. The Monarch is just a puppet. Maybe if the Monarch has some powers it may be a good thing as they will be able to stop these imbeciles in power wrecking the whole country and the world.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
As a Non British and non English I can say that this is a lot of bollocks on the thread and the article mentioned in some newspaper. If anyone thinks the Monarch rules then he or she is an idiot. The Monarch is just a puppet. Maybe if the Monarch has some powers it may be a good thing as they will be able to stop these imbeciles in power wrecking the whole country and the world.
The monarch is a puppet of who? The democratically elected government?

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Outstanding

Charlie Foley

Ruffled a few feathers?

I don’t give a toss. You've got some weird Kent stating Kim Jong would do over prince Charles in a fight.

You think I'm actually arsed about the monarchy? I'm laughing at you while you're laughing at me.

Yesterday was a funeral and I hope to feck someone turns up at one of your loved ones and pisses in all your drinks.
:lol: :lol:
tagline material right there

Wilt

Ruffled a few feathers?

Banned surely?

Zen86

Wealth inequality and a lack of social mobility is one of the real problems in society and a monarchy is basically that turned into a parade.
But they’re not the cause. It’s our poor excuse for a government who lead the way on that one.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Holly Willoughby is beautiful and provides excellent early day television entertainment, yet gets slaughtered for acting like she's above others, and we also don't let her be Queen
Queen wasn't beautiful, didn't provide early day television entertainment, yet we as a society lift her above others and let her be Queen.
Hmmm

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
But they’re not the cause. It’s our poor excuse for a government who lead the way on that one.
They are definitely not the cause. Nor really are your current government, its a long term systemic problem overseen by consecutive governments and crystallised by reverence of idiots in gold hats.

Withnail

Can't really blame them. They probably thought using their powerful influence to get something they don't deserve was fitting for the occasion.
Sorry I was having a bit of fun because the nation's darlings are now public enemy number 1 over queue etiquette. I even quoted the Eric Cantona kung Fu kick commentary. I thought it would have been obvious what I was at.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Sorry I was having a bit of fun because the nation's darlings are now public enemy number 1 over queue etiquette. I even quoted the Eric Cantona kung Fu kick commentary. I thought it would have been obvious what I was at.
Don't worry, me and the other intellectuals picked up on it

We need an rvn

Holly Willoughby is beautiful and provides excellent early day television entertainment, yet gets slaughtered for acting like she's above others, and we also don't let her be Queen
Queen wasn't beautiful, didn't provide early day television entertainment, yet we as a society lift her above others and let her be Queen.
Hmmm
Wtf?

are you trying to be funny? “We also don’t let her be queen”, that doesn’t make any sense at all

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Wtf?

are you trying to be funny? “We also don’t let her be queen”, that doesn’t make any sense at all
I'm 100% serious. I think there a few valid reasons as to why we could switch to her. I'm open to arguments though

Edit: If you don’t like Holly, I have other suggestions!
If you’re a fan of early daytime television then I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised

Last edited: