Race for top 4 | Finito.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think a top class striker in January would probably make the difference for us to clinch top four. But will we invest?
Bigger issue is a top class striker being available and that too in January. I'll take a stop gap solution. Just not someone rubbish like Ighalo.

Mike Smalling

My assessment of the top four contenders in order of current position.

Arsenal - Highly likely to be in (very small chance of an implosion, but I don't see it happening).
Man City - Definitely in.
Newcastle - Looking likely to also claim a spot. Especially, since they are likely to invest in the transfer window.
Tottenham - Too inconsistent in their performances, but might get dragged their by Conte dark arts, Kane and Son.
Man Utd - Not in unless there is investment in the transfer window. Squad too thin to consistently get results.
Liverpool - Will continue to struggle with midfield quality and defensive woes, but once Diaz is back and Nunez picks up more form, they will get results.
Chelsea - Most likely out. Their squad is underwhelming and Harry Potter will be found out.

Final top four order: 1. Man City, 2. Arsenal, 3. Newcastle, 4. Tottenham

Cloud7

Newcastle are a variable I don't think anyone took into account for this season. I am very interested to see how they do post WC

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
My assessment of the top four contenders in order of current position.

Arsenal - Highly likely to be in (very small chance of an implosion, but I don't see it happening).
Man City - Definitely in.
Newcastle - Looking likely to also claim a spot. Especially, since they are likely to invest in the transfer window.
Tottenham - Too inconsistent in their performances, but might get dragged their by Conte dark arts, Kane and Son.
Man Utd - Not in unless there is investment in the transfer window. Squad too thin to consistently get results.
Liverpool - Will continue to struggle with midfield quality and defensive woes, but once Diaz is back and Nunez picks up more form, they will get results.
Chelsea - Most likely out. Their squad is underwhelming and Harry Potter will be found out.

Final top four order: 1. Man City, 2. Arsenal, 3. Newcastle, 4. Tottenham
I think that’s a pretty fair assessment, though I’d slightly up-rate Liverpool’s chances, and slightly down-rate Newcastle’s. The reason for that is that I think Newcastle are generally playing as well as they can right now, I don’t see huge room for improvement there unless they buy well in January which I don’t think is a given. Liverpool have been way below par so I think they could potentially do very little different and if things click they could race up the league. Spurs are tough to predict.

CM10

I'm pretty sure Tottenham will fall out. I don't think they've played well in many of their matches this season, even when they've won, and they've ridden their luck a bit in the last few weeks. Picking up points in those scenarios is difficult to maintain.

Arsenal and City should both be in. I've been impressed with Newcastle and think they could mount a serious challenge for top 4 this season, I think it will be touch and go with them though, similar to Leicester of a couple of seasons back.

I think our biggest challenge will be staying above Liverpool - I find it difficult to see them being as poor as they have been for the first part of this season. Once they have everybody fit again after the World Cup, they'll be capable of putting a run together.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I'm pretty sure Tottenham will fall out. I don't think they've played well in many of their matches this season, even when they've won, and they've ridden their luck a bit in the last few weeks. Picking up points in those scenarios is difficult to maintain.

Arsenal and City should both be in. I've been impressed with Newcastle and think they could mount a serious challenge for top 4 this season, I think it will be touch and go with them though, similar to Leicester of a couple of seasons back.

I think our biggest challenge will be staying above Liverpool - I find it difficult to see them being as poor as they have been for the first part of this season. Once they have everybody fit again after the World Cup, they'll be capable of putting a run together.
To be fair, you could say exactly the same about Utd and probably Liverpool.

CM10

To be fair, you could say exactly the same about Utd and probably Liverpool.
We have had a couple of those, but I was speaking more generally. We've had a few where we've played very well too.

I haven't watched every Spurs game but I can't think of many examples where I've watched a Spurs game and thought you played well. Funnily enough, I think the best I've seen Spurs play this season was the second half of the Liverpool game, where you didn't get anything.

I also think there's a bit more scope for United and Liverpool to improve in the second part of the season.

Hughie77

Striker in January needed, and then we barring a shed load of injuries get top 4. Ronny has basically thrown the towel in. So when he goes a Striker should come in.

ell

Just looked at the table and was shocked to see Chelsea haven't won any of their last 5 league games!

Admittedly tough fixtures against us, Newcastle and Arsenal amongst those - but I still feel this has gone under the radar a bit? After Potter's very positive start looks like things have fallen off quite quickly. Long may this continue!

As others have said it looks like Arsenal and City are nailed on. I've been annoyingly impressed with Arsenal how they seemingly navigate what would be banana skin fixtures with ease. Away wins at Wolves, Chelsea, Leeds, Brentford is no mean feat. They just don't seem likely to implode which is what we have come to expect over the past decade.

Newcastle's defence looks rock solid at the moment and they are clicking in attack. A smart addition or two in Jan would put them in great contention. Also assuming they don't have as many world cup starters in their squad as other top teams. They are clearly making SJP a fortress with their great fan base. If it wasn't for their disgusting ownership I'd be happy to see them doing well.

As for Liverpool and Spurs they will be there or there abouts with 5 or so games to go for sure - just very good at grinding out results. Would be surprised if the race for top 4 doesn't go down to the wire this year.

At the moment I think I'd have to put us as slight outsiders to get top 4 (eternal pessimist) . Every win that we manage seems to be a bit of a slog at the moment, scoring goals is clearly an issue. If we can sustain Varane and Martinez as a partnership for 80%+ of remaining matches then we do have a chance though. Wouldn't be devastated if we dont make it - just look at Arsenal this season - signs of progress is the most important thing for this season.

BorisManUtd

Great day beating Wolves with Newcastle (and City) dropping points. Not sure it'll be a walkover for Spurs against Villa tomorrow or for Chelsea at Forest eirther so a chance for potentially even better weekend.

Dan_F

Can’t overlook the Bournemouth game but it’s pretty exciting that we could go into that City game knowing that we go above them if they drop points away to Chelsea, not to mention the other difficult games they’ve got.

I wonder if we might find some funds for a striker if we’re within a few points from the top by the end of Jan.

Devil81

Can’t overlook the Bournemouth game but it’s pretty exciting that we could go into that City game knowing that we go above them if they drop points away to Chelsea, not to mention the other difficult games they’ve got.

I wonder if we might find some funds for a striker if we’re within a few points from the top by the end of Jan.
I was thinking that myself. We aren't a million miles away from the top. Arsenal may very well be 11 points ahead but over the next few weeks we could be one of the chasing pack close enough.

Surely they'd have to back him then.

The White Pele

Advantage United and Liverpool, I would say, to take the 3rd and 4th spots.

I can’t see Arsenal falling off that far and City won’t fall out of the top 4.

Someone

Something
I think we have a good shot at top 4 but it's far from easy. The table currently is a very good reflection of how the top 6, or shall we say top 7 have been this season. We've been better than Chelsea, Spurs, and Liverpool. I don't see real progress from Spurs or Chelsea but have a felling Liverpool will have a stronger second half to the season. Newcastle worry me a bit too.

I think getting a striker in Jan could make or break our season, because right now we're struggling with goals and relying heavily on Rashford.

Todd

If you had told me we'd be sitting 4th going into the new year I'd have been pleasantly surprised, as I expected we'd be right on the outside looking in. That being said, I really think we're in a better situation than we could have expected. ETH has this team well-organized, especially defensively.

Everything hinges on bringing in a goal scorer now. If we add some goals to this squad and everyone stays healthy I honestly now think 3rd place is a realistic thing to aspire to.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Interesting few weeks ahead. Arsenal v Newcastle on Tuesday and we play city in a few weeks. We could really put ourselves in a potential title race and help solidify our top four chances.

LordSpud

Just seen our run in for the last 5 games: Villa, West Ham, Wolves, Bournemouth and Fulham. You would think we should be getting at least 12 points from that. Hope the squad doesnt get knackered and he uses it wisely!

Josh 76

Just seen our run in for the last 5 games: Villa, West Ham, Wolves, Bournemouth and Fulham. You would think we should be getting at least 12 points from that. Hope the squad doesnt get knackered and he uses it wisely!
Never that simple

Josh 76

Interesting few weeks ahead. Arsenal v Newcastle on Tuesday and we play city in a few weeks. We could really put ourselves in a potential title race and help solidify our top four chances.
Title race ? You must have over done it last night.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We are only 4 points off City, but a fair chunk off Arsenal.
Step by step, top 4 isn't a given, so keep on progressing and see how we go.

Our striker position is really precarious. There's a huge reason we keep taking Martial off early as he's started 4 league games by January!
Take him out and we have either a Rashy out of his best position or....or who?!

LordSpud

We're 50/1 on SkyBet for the PL title so that was worth a 5er of my money. Who bloody knows?!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We're in a good position but have to keep it up. 7 teams in the race, Arsenal and City are set, but 2 spots up for grabs and I'd say there's a good chance that Liverpool step up in the 2nd half. Need to keep ourselves above Chelsea, Spurs and Newcastle. Newcastle worries me the most by far, no distractions and have a very good consistency and solidity from the back meaning they'll likely stay good all year.

Lee565

I still kind of expect Newcastle to drop a few levels but then realise that they stil have their two best strikers to return back into the first team which probably will give them enough of a boost to get top 4 and if they buy a good midfielder in January then that would really make them solid favourite for top 4.

Still can't see us getting top 4 if we don't sort out getting a competent goalscorer in to help out rashford when you look at the firepower Liverpool and spurs have.

cyberman

I still kind of expect Newcastle to drop a few levels but then realise that they stil have their two best strikers to return back into the first team which probably will give them enough of a boost to get top 4 and if they buy a good midfielder in January then that would really make them solid favourite for top 4.

Still can't see us getting top 4 if we don't sort out getting a competent goalscorer in to help out rashford when you look at the firepower Liverpool and spurs have.
Our goals mean more though because we rarely concede.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I don’t get the fear over Newcastle. They have Chris Wood up top ffs. I think they will be miles away by the season end.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I don’t get the fear over Newcastle. They have Chris Wood up top ffs. I think they will be miles away by the season end.
They were 2nd in the league without Isak who they signed for £60m or whatever it was.

You're probably right though, I think Chelsea and Spurs will be our main competitors for 4th.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
They were 2nd in the league without Isak who they signed for £60m or whatever it was.

You're probably right though, I think Chelsea and Spurs will be our main competitors for 4th.
They have done remarkably well with what they have but let’s be honest their squad Is crap. They were in a relegation battle only last season. I love Ten Hag and he’s done a fantastic job thus far but for me it’s a borderline sackable offence to finish behind this Newcastle team with the investment we have had.

Spurs Id say are the main competitor as I fully expect Liverpool to have a roaring second half to the season. Chelsea I just don’t see doing much under Potter and he will be gone inside 18 months.

CM10

We've got City and Arsenal ourselves after the Bournemouth match. We're on a good run at the moment but our aim has got to be keeping Liverpool at bay and getting ahead of Spurs and Newcastle for now.

As much as I'd enjoy an Arsenal capitulation, we aren't really in striking distance unless they have a complete meltdown.