Racism incident in PSG v Istanbul match

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
But you can’t apply English nuances to foreign languages, that simply doesn’t work IMO.
100%.

Made all the more obvious by the fact that "negro", "negra", "negrito" and "negrita" are terms habitually used in reference to individuals who aren't "Black" in terms of so-called ethnicity (an incredibly flimsy concept to begin with - but there you go). A Spanish speaker may refer to his dark haired mate as "negrito" (a person who could be as pale as Dracula in theory).

The problematic aspect of using those terms has to do with origin - not current usage. Which is a whole other kettle of fish - and pretty complex. In many cases you'll end up arguing that a person should refrain from calling his or her wife or husband something that idiomatically means "darling" or "honey" - which obviously doesn't seem intuitively right to most people.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I was trying to think of a situation to compare it to that we could see what we would do.

Let's say you were in a shop of some kind where you wait around for your order to be brought out, and there are a few other people waiting. If the person who works there brings out one of the orders and they say - "Who ordered xxx?" and you know the person who it was for so decide to be a very helpful customer.

Would you feel totally fine with coming out with, "It was that black guy over there", or "It was the Asian bloke"?

Personally I would absolutely not say that, and if I was there while someone else said it I'd be doing a mental "Oof" while sneakily looking round the room to see everyone else's reactions.
Except it wasnt said out loud. Demba just happens to hear it.

I doubt people are that meticulous when talking to their colleagues in a job.

In retrospect it may be an oopss.. i think I should not said that in retrospect. But when things needs to be done quick it can happen.

I give the 4th ref some leeway. It wasnt a heated argument like suarez where the intent to hurt is clear or at least have some reasonable cause.

I'm not black, but as a minority in a muslim country i get my fair share of racist slur. It's all about context. When a white man that grows up in a country with slavery history you can assume that he should know better and in the case of a misuse of the word black or worse the n word you bet he mean something. But a romanian whose country have little interaction with black people on daily basis i think i can give him some benefits of doubt.

If an indonesian worker says the black dude order this in a midst of locals i think he meant nothing malicious, he has no reason to hate blacks. He seldom sees one and our country has no history to do with it. On the other hand if a white Americans especially an official referee says the same word with all his knowledge on the issue you can bet it meant something else.

So context matter imho.

FreddieTheReddie

Do we already know why Webo got the red card in the first place? I read he insulted the assistants but don't know how exactly.

MadMike

Except it wasnt said out loud. Demba just happens to hear it.
What you mean is that it wasn't directed at the player, but of course it was said out loud. How the feck did Demba Ba pick up on it then, is he a mind reader?

pablo__p

As always this kind of looking for racism at all cost just to prove the point will do more negative than positive to the cause (eradicating real racism). Having spoken with quite a few people from all over Europe the reactions vary from facepalm through laughs to it's absolute BS.

And I'm talking about opinions of open minded, intelligent, educated etc folks.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
As always this kind of looking for racism at all cost just to prove the point will do more negative than positive to the cause (eradicating real racism). Having spoken with quite a few people from all over Europe the reactions vary from facepalm through laughs to it's absolute BS.

And I'm talking about opinions of open minded, intelligent, educated etc folks.
From affluent areas too?

pablo__p

In what way?
In what way?
People don't want this sort of things to happen nor want to be a part of//support, to quote one them, (Arab) "madness". I mean look at this thread.

We analyze the lexicon of the Romanian language, the level to which Romanians have been exposed to race issues in the history, potential alternatives which the ref should have used when speaking directly to his Romanian colleague based on vetting people's clothes or memorizing everyone's name before the game...

Awkward things did and will continue to happen whether the PC crew likes that or not. It's global village we live in which happens to use English as lingua franca but thankfully American or western culture is not our primary culture.

If a case where almost everyone can give the ref benefit of the doubt and with high probability assume he didn't mean to offend anyone based on their race, if this case end up with massive hysteria and internet lynch people start to wonder what if they end up saying or communicating something some people might perceive as "racist". Will I lose my job? Will I be publicly lynched?

From affluent areas too?
Allow me to ask what do you mean by "affluent areas". Genuinely don't know if I'm from an affluent area myself.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Allow me to ask what do you mean by "affluent areas". Genuinely don't know if I'm from an affluent area myself.
Sorry, Was just a light hearted joke I’d seen on here in the past of the opinions of certain well respected people.

Doracle

Yeah, no worries. I agree with you that incident is unrelated to CL football in Europe. So it’s wrong to bring it up as a case of double standards.

As for this particular incident, I think again there's an issue of foreign language translation along with the insensitivity of using colour to identify a man.

My guess is that language difference was the start of the problem. Some people are debating whether "the black one" is racist or not. I would argue that in English it is, particularly because of the word "one". "The black guy", doesn't sound racist but “the black one” does. That's the nuance of the English language at current time and context as with phrases like "people of colour" vs "coloured people" or "black people" vs "the blacks". They mean the same thing but there’s linguistic nuance at play.

The 4th ref here didn't say "the black one", he said "ala negru". Unless the Basaksehir staff speak Romanian, which I'm fairly sure they don't, then my guess is that the word that set them off is Negru not the syntax of the sentence or the absence of the word "guy". Not the nuance, but the similarity to an offensive English sounding word. And again, myguess here is that when they confronted the 4th official about his use of the word he explained that it means black in Romanian at which point the argument naturally evolved to "and why are you identifying people by colour"? That's my guess of what unfolded based on what I've read and seen so far. Subject to change if more evidence emerges of course.

It’s insensitive to identify someone by race in a professional setting, especially someone you don't know or have any previous relationship with. So yes it’s a faux pas by the ref regardless, but it’s not explicitly racist.

I think, on the back of the Cavani incident as well, we generally do have a problem where language and cultural nuances are misinterpreted or disregarded in a very Anglo-centric international framework. I don’t think every communication in a foreign language should be passed through the filter of “how does that sound in English” or “is that offensive if translated to English”. If English is to be a Lingua Franca, then make referees and players speak English in international competitions (good luck) and teach them the sensitivities in English. But you can’t apply English nuances to foreign languages, that simply doesn’t work IMO.
Im not sure that there’s a real distinction in English between the “black one” and the “black guy”, particularly dependent on the conversation. If one phrase is racist, the other probably is as well.

All these issues are very tricky. I personally think, based on how it’s being described, it would be pretty harsh for the official to be found to have been racist but we will see when the full story comes out.

Will also be interesting to find out what Webo got sent off for. It can only have been something he said and it seems odd we’ve heard nothing more about it.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yeah, no worries. I agree with you that incident is unrelated to CL football in Europe. So it’s wrong to bring it up as a case of double standards.

As for this particular incident, I think again there's an issue of foreign language translation along with the insensitivity of using colour to identify a man.

My guess is that language difference was the start of the problem. Some people are debating whether "the black one" is racist or not. I would argue that in English it is, particularly because of the word "one". "The black guy", doesn't sound racist but “the black one” does. That's the nuance of the English language at current time and context as with phrases like "people of colour" vs "coloured people" or "black people" vs "the blacks". They mean the same thing but there’s linguistic nuance at play.

The 4th ref here didn't say "the black one", he said "ala negru". Unless the Basaksehir staff speak Romanian, which I'm fairly sure they don't, then my guess is that the word that set them off is Negru not the syntax of the sentence or the absence of the word "guy". Not the nuance, but the similarity to an offensive English sounding word. And again, myguess here is that when they confronted the 4th official about his use of the word he explained that it means black in Romanian at which point the argument naturally evolved to "and why are you identifying people by colour"? That's my guess of what unfolded based on what I've read and seen so far. Subject to change if more evidence emerges of course.

It’s insensitive to identify someone by race in a professional setting, especially someone you don't know or have any previous relationship with. So yes it’s a faux pas by the ref regardless, but it’s not explicitly racist.

I think, on the back of the Cavani incident as well, we generally do have a problem where language and cultural nuances are misinterpreted or disregarded in a very Anglo-centric international framework. I don’t think every communication in a foreign language should be passed through the filter of “how does that sound in English” or “is that offensive if translated to English”. If English is to be a Lingua Franca, then make referees and players speak English in international competitions (good luck) and teach them the sensitivities in English. But you can’t apply English nuances to foreign languages, that simply doesn’t work IMO.
Great post. As for the final bit, I'll just say (and repeat myself from earlier in the thread) that English isn't the only language with a word with negative connotations that sounds like 'negru'. There's also 'nègre' in French or 'neger' in Dutch - from just two languages that I happen to know. In this case, given that there were no (I think?) anglophones involved in the incident, it may also have been the similarity to 'nègre' that set people off. Anyway, not all that interesting as a point, but so I think it's not necessarily a case of anglo-centrism.

In any case, I do think UEFA should provide referees with sensitivity training to help them avoid saying things that will sound wrong (predominantly in English I guess) - whatever the similar-sounding word means in their native language. Yes, it's a hassle, and unfair (what if the n-word meant 'shirt' in Basque?), but emotions run high in football matches and you just don't want to accidentally stumble into a stupid situation because someone thinks they heard something - which appears to be partially what happened here.

(Unrelated, but it seems some people in the thread think the n-word refers to 'negro', but that's not it. 'Negro' also has negative connotations today (it didn't yet some decades ago), but the n-word refers to a six-letter word that sounds a little similar and is so offensive that I'll leave it at that.)

Nr.7

You might say that, but it's clear from your posts you're trying to use whataboutism to dismiss the validity of the issue at hand. You might not realise what you're doing, but it happens all the time in these debates and it is very transparent.

I’m levelling the field, you’re dismissing one side of the issue. I just happened to brought up a case of racism where nothing happened after the incident and you didn’t like that because you probably feel one isn’t as bad as the other.
How can that be? Can’t, for example Luka Doncic feel a racist insult as bad ‘cause he is white?
Are you trying to determine his sentiment based on his skin color?
Isn’t that a bit racist?

luffy7

I am curious. Does white people feel offended getting call the white one?

If a fat gene are only on a certain race, does calling them fat one means racist too?

Does all culture react the same way on racist comment or is reaction towards that taught by culture and media on how we should feel and get hurt?

Does a small country with racist history has the influence on other nation on their words and language? or its just only US history being a big deal?

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Is that "Romanians are gypsies" comment still beeing ignored?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
No but since we don't know who said it and no one defended it there is no particular reason to have a conversation about it. If they clearly identify the culprit hopefully he will be sanctioned.

fck

Supports
Bayern
No, it's rightfully talked about.. but let's be honest here you don't really care about that comment either.
As another poster said this is all very transparent.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
Great post. As for the final bit, I'll just say (and repeat myself from earlier in the thread) that English isn't the only language with a word with negative connotations that sounds like 'negru'. There's also 'nègre' in French or 'neger' in Dutch - from just two languages that I happen to know. In this case, given that there were no (I think?) anglophones involved in the incident, it may also have been the similarity to 'nègre' that set people off. Anyway, not all that interesting as a point, but so I think it's not necessarily a case of anglo-centrism.
I heard John Barnes about the incident and he said he understood it was an issue because of the legacy of colonialism. Allthough I appreciated his overall contribution to the discussion very much, this is the legacy of colonialism itself: Anglo's, British or American, demanding that the whole world is seen through their eyes, defined by their language and dealing carefully with linguistical sensitivities from their history. It's that colonial, or at least imperialistic, sense of entitlement that has evolved beyond just post-colonial and black and white relationships. The attitude is not very different from the stereotypical American abroad starting to shout louder in English when the locals don't understand him, you can't just break off words from a foreign language and take them home as your own like ornaments in an Italian city on your grand tour.

In any case, I do think UEFA should provide referees with sensitivity training to help them avoid saying things that will sound wrong (predominantly in English I guess) - whatever the similar-sounding word means in their native language. Yes, it's a hassle, and unfair (what if the n-word meant 'shirt' in Basque?), but emotions run high in football matches and you just don't want to accidentally stumble into a stupid situation because someone thinks they heard something - which appears to be partially what happened here.
Maybe people should not let their imperialistic anglocentric emotions run that high? You think you heard something? Ask what he meant. English as the lingua franca is not English as a native or acquired language within it's cultural and historical context. A lingua franca is a common languange, on top of native languages of the different speakers. To take part in an international competition and to expect to everybody there to speak your preferred language with consideration of all your cultural and historical sensitivities even if they are speaking their own language to eachother is simply disrespectful and very insensitive itself. Who is treated as a second class global citizen here?

(Unrelated, but it seems some people in the thread think the n-word refers to 'negro', but that's not it. 'Negro' also has negative connotations today (it didn't yet some decades ago), but the n-word refers to a six-letter word that sounds a little similar and is so offensive that I'll leave it at that.)
Imagine you have studied MLK and Baldwin speeches as part of learning English and because you're a fan. And after all that hard work of learning a foreign language you get told off by people who usually never bothered because they're native English speakers for not keeping up with all the language changes because of local sensitivities. That would already be quite rude, but when it's even applied to your own language spoken with your countrymen that gets overheard and sounds similar, that's just off scale. Imagine what would happen if people took offence with every English word that sounded like a bad word in their own language? What kind of privilege do the anglophonics think they're entitled to in international relations?

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Oh, sorry I didn’t see it in time.

But to answer your question;
I want to see us putting an end to this even if that means games being stoped in Turkey, Andorra, USA, Argentina and the rest of the world where a racist incident occurs. With no exception of who is giving the insults. I just used an example from the NBA (in the United States of America from where the BLM movement and players taking a knee originated) where afterwords nothing happened.
So, for interest, were you as interested in this when Rose had monkey chants sent his way within a stadium for example?

Did you feel that NFL, NHL, NBA, Snooker players , Sumo wrestlers, Kung Fu practitioners should have all made a stand around the world and all walked off?

We weren't talking about taking a knee here though, this isn't the Millwall incident.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

I've said I don't personally think its racist, just insensitive. And yes I know you're talking mostly within the context of this board, as opposed to the incident itself when you mention this.

But as I've said before on this thread, I'm uncomfortable with this line of argument when it comes to this particular incident and strikes me as a convenient shield (not by you).

I know its an anglo-phonic world but in this particular incident, nobody is from an Anglophone country. We're talking about a match involving a French and Turkish team, with a multi-national squad, only one of whom could actually be said to be from an English speaking country.

Your reading of the situation is pretty much what I imagine happened too to be honest.

Moonwalker

Thanks for clearing that up. That's what I thought you meant. We've head people here claiming 'noone has said that!', when of course you have.

An absolutely barking mad proposition.

Nr.7

So, for interest, were you as interested in this when Rose had monkey chants sent his way within a stadium for example?

Did you feel that NFL, NHL, NBA, Snooker players , Sumo wrestlers, Kung Fu practitioners should have all made a stand around the world and all walked off?

We weren't talking about taking a knee here though, this isn't the Millwall incident.
I can’t recall the Rose incident, but I’d be all for punishing those who did it. I remember incidents in Italy with Balotelli and Koulibaly and I was dissappointed with the way it was delt in Seria A.

Not walk off when there’s a incident half way around the world, but whenever there’s an incident I’m all for walking off there and then.

I don’t think there was a racist intention in this case, though it was insensitive, I’m still glad the players walked off.

NinjaFletch

I’m levelling the field, you’re dismissing one side of the issue. I just happened to brought up a case of racism where nothing happened after the incident and you didn’t like that because you probably feel one isn’t as bad as the other.
How can that be? Can’t, for example Luka Doncic feel a racist insult as bad ‘cause he is white?
Are you trying to determine his sentiment based on his skin color?
Isn’t that a bit racist?
Whatever helps you sleep at night buddy. :lol:

youmeletsfly

In romanian "ala negru" means "the black man/dude". I think this fecking soft world is overreacting to absolutely anything. You can call a man by his color the same you can call him by his height, clothes or anything else.

When in the fecking world calling a black man "hey mister black man" has become racism, it's embarassing. Black man does not equal "negro" in Romanian and the way the ref said it doesn't have any harmful intent to it other than distinguishing him from all the white players.

If he would've called him a "cioara"(crow) it would be the N word, "tigan" would be gypsy.

So no, no racism happened there, but as we're in a soft world driven by social media lunatics(some of them being actually players), everyone will stamp on the ref's head and consider him a racist for his entire lifte, mostly because they can't understand Romanian.

What is absolutely baffling to me me is that our own government and football league don't support the guy when we all know he is not a racist and is, actually, quite an ok fella. But I guess the Romanian government and football league need to suck a few dicks here and there to look good.

It's embarassing that everyone and their dog are now posting this shit on social media "stop the racism". If you as a normal dude post on instagram "stop racism" nobody cares, but if dunno, CR7 does it and he gets 500K USD from instagram it's okay. I'm not saying it's wrong to do it, don't get riled up, I'm just saying everyone's on the bandwagon and not all of them for the right reasons.(eg: Romanian government and football league posting shit against heir own fella on social media, feck me)

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I am curious. Does white people feel offended getting call the white one?

If a fat gene are only on a certain race, does calling them fat one means racist too?

Does all culture react the same way on racist comment or is reaction towards that taught by culture and media on how we should feel and get hurt?

Does a small country with racist history has the influence on other nation on their words and language? or its just only US history being a big deal?
No but I've white privilege don't I ..;/

Racism at it's core, is evil and you can be black etc and told black people or people of colour can't be racist under the definition of systemic racism. People need to understand the dangers of crying racism. If it's racist it's racist but not everything is racism. White people get called white people all the time....and much worse and the media do a good job influencing people. White supremacy. White privilege. Detecting a pattern?

The danger with 'racism' and crying racist is at some point it loses rationality because there are people who benefit from it. In this case, maybe it's a cultural thing or maybe the guy meant it....but did you know just by being white your guilty of whiteness and it's not white peoples it's whiteness..

People in truth don't enjoy diversity and find comfort in people who don't challenge them or who are the same or similar. We watch football and yet are dragged into talking about racism. In our jobs, most of us would be suspended or sacked tbh. What I would like to see is, all parties, talk but when people get emotional they go into fight and flight mindset. Which serves racism itself.

Just to clarify. Diversity is fine but unless we respect each others differences......then we cannot enjoy or celebrate it. If we're censoring one another, then we're going in the wrong direction.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
In romanian "ala negru" means "the black man/dude". I think this fecking soft world is overreacting to absolutely anything. You can call a man by his color the same you can call him by his height, clothes or anything else.

When in the fecking world calling a black man "hey mister black man" has become racism, it's embarassing. Black man does not equal "negro" in Romanian and the way the ref said it doesn't have any harmful intent to it other than distinguishing him from all the white players.

If he would've called him a "cioara"(crow) it would be the N word, "tigan" would be gypsy.

So no, no racism happened there, but as we're in a soft world driven by social media lunatics(some of them being actually players), everyone will stamp on the ref's head and consider him a racist for his entire lifte, mostly because they can't understand Romanian.

What is absolutely baffling to me me is that our own government and football league don't support the guy when we all know he is not a racist and is, actually, quite an ok fella. But I guess the Romanian government and football league need to suck a few dicks here and there to look good.

It's embarassing that everyone and their dog are now posting this shit on social media "stop the racism". If you as a normal dude post on instagram "stop racism" nobody cares, but if dunno, CR7 does it and he gets 500K USD from instagram it's okay. I'm not saying it's wrong to do it, don't get riled up, I'm just saying everyone's on the bandwagon and not all of them for the right reasons.(eg: Romanian government and football league posting shit against heir own fella on social media, feck me)
No you can't, you don't define me by my color or the size of my nose or anything else when it's not imperative. I can tell you that people from minorities do not want or like to be called by their "color" because very often we are also defined by them and not in a nice way.

Also I will give you an advice, never say to a black man "Hey mister black man", you would never do it for someone else.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

You can call a man by his color :lol: By all means do it all the time then

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
No you can't, you don't define me by my color or the size of my nose or anything else when it's not imperative. I can tell you that people from minorities do not want or like to be called by their "color" because very often we are also defined by them and not in a nice way.

Also I will give you an advice, never say to a black man "Hey mister black man", you would never do it for someone else.
Better advice would be not to call anyone with anyone with any adjective or pronoun.
Who knows who might get offended with what.

JPRouve

Scout
Better advice would be not to call anyone with anyone with any adjective or pronoun.
Who knows who might get offended with what.
What is your point? At which point anyone says anything else than "Hey mister" or "Hello mister"?

JPRouve

Scout
"hello mister" or "hey mister" can offend someone who identifies himself/herself/themselves/zirself as something.
What is your point in the context of this thread? Is that normal to say "Hey mister black man", is that something that you have ever said or seen?

Edit: And if someone doesn't want to be called mister, they tell me and I don't.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
What is your point in the context of this thread? Is that normal to say "Hey mister black man", is that something that you have ever said or seen?
My point is your advice can be better.
If you are going to advice him how to address people in today's uber politically correct way, than don't give half arsed advice. Give him full advice.
He obviously belongs to a non PC era, enlightened him in proper manner.
Tell him how the referee should have been professional enough to remember the names of every personnel in both teams, and not address a living(sorry in advance for dead inside community) entity by their skin color. And if remembering name is too difficult, than whenever addressing someone, go near the living(sorry in advance for dead inside community) entity, politely ask them to turn to towards and say, "I am talking about this living(sorry in advance for dead inside community) entity".

Nr.7

Whatever helps you sleep at night buddy. :lol:

Damn, what a comeback! I just wish I was a kid in 5th grade again so I could this.

I’ll take your avoiding to answer as “yes”.

Sleep tight, little buddy.