Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
Was excited when he signed and have been disapponted/frustrated with his slow return. I think the questions/whispers about his fitness won't go away until he gets a run of games.

I imagine this recent flurry of articles that he's ready to fight for a first team spot means that he'll get some starts over the Christmas period-which will be fun.

Sam

If he's playing as poorly in training, as he has in his last few cameo's, its really no wonder he's not starting.

If he impresses, and most importantly is fit, he'll play. Its not rocket science.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Agree when Falcao and RVP play together teams can easily squeeze the play because neither has any pace and we don’t play with wingers. Doesn’t work as a partnership for me and I hope we don’t go back to trying to play the two of them together, if Di maria is fit I would start him in place of Wilson but if he isn’t I think Wilson should remain in the team.

Falcao can start against Stoke or Spurs and Yeovil and then can go from there, he is just a bit unfortunate that as soon as he got himself fit RVP started scoring.
To some extent this is true, but it's not like Falcao is particularly slow, and RVP has looked sharp with his runs, both can make insanely smart runs without needing too much pace. They seemed to gel nicely the few times they played together, and if opponents are pressing hard against us, our midfield plays an important role in dealing with that too. It's not just the strikers.

Would love to see any team with one or two attacking minded fullbacks to try and squeeze us as much as they can. If our defense and midfield keep calm on the ball and our tactics are right, their CB's will be 1 on 1 vs. Falcao and RVP a lot. They'll get slaughtered, no doubt about that, and I wonder how many teams would be that naive in their set-up.

Whether in a 3-5-2 or a 442ish shape, that's the thing I like the most abut playng with two strikers. But Di Maria is also a great option to have up front, a bit like Robben for Holland.

bishblaize

Agree when Falcao and RVP play together teams can easily squeeze the play because neither has any pace and we don’t play with wingers. Doesn’t work as a partnership for me and I hope we don’t go back to trying to play the two of them together, if Di maria is fit I would start him in place of Wilson but if he isn’t I think Wilson should remain in the team.

Falcao can start against Stoke or Spurs and Yeovil and then can go from there, he is just a bit unfortunate that as soon as he got himself fit RVP started scoring.
I'm keen for Wilson to do well, but to be honest, you could forget he was on the pitch against Liverpool and he looked too lightweight against Stoke. Pace isn't something that by its very presence is worth having. It only matters if the player can use it to do something. Wilson's pace counted for not very much in his last two games because he couldn't do anything with it. I still think that Falco offers more right now than Wilson, even if he is slower.

bishblaize

You're totally right but just remember, he's only 18-19 years of age. Mostly its all about experience, Ive seen what Wilson can do in the reserves. Very talented lad, a defenders nightmare in terms of pace and acceleration, has that no.9 poacher instinct and can score some blinders outside of the box aswell, a different kind of striker that is useful. He just needs experience on his back which LVG is giving him, once he'll get more experience he'll just get better and better and he'll be learning from the likes of Falcao & RVP aswell. You're right though, for now Falcao is the man that should get in front of Wilson for the picking once LVG has put his seal of approval for full fitness.
Oh I know he's class. Though what I would say is that he's facing the classic step up a lot of kids have. He seemed really fast and strong in the youth set up compared to everyone else and he used that to his advantage. But he's not able to bring that to the senior game yet because he no longer has the physical advantage he used to over the kids. Just the opposite, everyone's bigger than him.

He'll get it back as his body fills out (you can just see that he's going to mature into a great athlete from his shape) but I think he might be at least 9-12 months away from being there yet. At youth set up he could go shoulder to shoulder with anyone he came up against and win, but against Stoke in particular he just lacked the kilos of muscle needed to shield the ball, or win a tussle, or power into a header, against some of the giants they played.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I think you are making too much of Wilson's lack of height.
Messi, is the best example of this.
If you are good...you are good.

Similarly, just because you are tall, like P.Crouch or Carrew, does not mean that you will be the best striker in the World.
There are far more attributes to power and height.

Our most expensive signing (Di Maria), is built like a fly. That's another good example.

Rooney, at the age of 16, certainly did not have the power of 25 year old defenders. But he did rather well, too.

I can go on giving examples...but you get my drift.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Wilsons pace means teams can't squeeze us so easily and to be honest Falcao's miss was not that bad he hit the target and it got blocked!
How much pace does Wilson really have? Haven't seen him for the reserves so can't give an opinion. Remember him running through City the other day but apart from that i can't remember us using his speed that much.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
This is coming from a 5'8 type of guy, but Wilson doesn't look small, he looks quite above average whenever I see him.

VanGaalEra

I can sense a Falcao goal tomorrow, it's coming and if we play attacking football and create chances, he could score a few :drool:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
All the noises coming out of the club lead me to believe this guy is going to have a very good second half to the season, providing he can stay fit

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
If Louie have the same belief in Falcao like in RVP then he's sentenced to succeed here. Even Fellaini plays way better under recent management.

Win/win situation anyway. It's a loan and it gives sense of security but I'm quite convinced that he'll have an impact.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I've built myself up for a Falcao start tomorrow. Don't disappoint me LVG.

Loublaze

ATLien
I'm keen for Wilson to do well, but to be honest, you could forget he was on the pitch against Liverpool and he looked too lightweight against Stoke. Pace isn't something that by its very presence is worth having. It only matters if the player can use it to do something. Wilson's pace counted for not very much in his last two games because he couldn't do anything with it. I still think that Falco offers more right now than Wilson, even if he is slower.
I agree that Falcao would offer more, but IMO you're being a tad harsh on Wilson. He worked his socks off against Liverpool but lets be honest, we're shit at getting the ball to our forwards. I can't remember the last time we bombarded the opposition's box with passes. Our goals are all coming from crosses or set pieces. Contrast this to Arsenal or even Chelsea who pass the ball at will in their opponents' 18 yard box. Welbeck is seeing a lot of the ball over at the Emirates. RVP has had to dig deeper these last few games to get on the ball

Cassidy

He has in his last few cameos. Ever since the West Brom game and his injury.

I reckon he'll start tomorrow mind.
He wasn't poor vs Liverpool your being harsh tbh

Sam

I think he's done most things well. Certainly in terms of hold up, link play and movement.
People are looking for things and over analysing way to much. He's not been very good so far. A bit of decent holdup play isn't really that impressive for a player of his calibre.

He wasn't poor vs Liverpool your being harsh tbh
Liverpool was his worst cameo so far. His best being West Brom away.

Firstouch20

Anyone notice that Falcao and Van Persie are the only strikers who always pass to each other? For such an out and out goal scorer Falcao is very unselfish and always looks to feed his main competitor Van Persie. With Wilson and Rooney its like they completely avoid RvP at times.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
We didn't get Falcao for what he does outside the box. That's just an added bonus. We lack in certain areas of the pitch to give the strikers the best service. Our width is not always great and it's lacks imagination. Anyone can mark Young in their sleep because 9/10 he'll put in an in swinger and Valencia is similar. He'll usually dither.

Falcao's been unlucky. He hit the bar on his debut with a great effort and I think the 'miss' was a fair effort. Wilson suits away from home better but we lack quality and it's a shame we've no Scholes to spread the play effectively. Would like to see RVP Falcao and Rooney tomorrow but we need to pass it a hell of a lot better then we have to make the most of the players we have.

Tompo

It's really hard to judge a player that has hardly played, has hardly been fit, and when playing is only getting 15/ 20 minute appearances.

He needs a good 4 or 5 full games to show what he can do in my opinion.

Cassidy

People are looking for things and over analysing way to much. He's not been very good so far. A bit of decent holdup play isn't really that impressive for a player of his calibre.

Liverpool was his worst cameo so far. His best being West Brom away.
Your being hyper critical.

Sam

Still looks absolutely miles off the pace quite frankly.

DevilRed

Strong as an ox but our midfield/defence seem to have an allergy to passing the ball into our strikers.

You can tell he is up for it but the lack of service is disgraceful.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
It's incredibly frustrating seeing him in the right places during attacks, and the deliveries being as they are. He made a fantastic run on RvPs through ball and unfortunately didn't finish it, but at least he is making those sort of breaks. The finishes will come in due course.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
He's done absolutely nothing. And before anyone point out about the lack of service, it hasn't stopped RVP from being involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.