5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

settembrini

If Falcao was twice the player he was now he'd have eight goals.

That would still be less than Danny Ings, Nacer Chadli and former United flop Mame Biram Diouf.

Maybe if he was five times the player he is now he'd be an okay signing.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

That would still be less than Danny Ings, Nacer Chadli and former United flop Mame Biram Diouf.
Goal tally is the output of other attributes, so the relation would be exponential instead of straight/direct.

Litch

Of course that's my point. Those two improve under different manager. Unless you are expecting us to change manager next season.

Falcao would be worth it if he becomes twice the player he is now. Otherwise he'll just blocking the path of us potentially getting better striker that we need. With his age and progress so far, is he worth the gamble?
We'll there are others that have gone backward under this manager too, it works both ways. Like I said and maybe it's me but, what ever happened to the season to come to terms with the new country, manager, team and league? When did we stop giving players that opportunity? ADM better start looking elsewhere then? Yep, I know there are examples of those who hit the ground running but it's the exception and not the rule....

RedorDead21

You give me an option of Falcao or Hernandez to come off our bench next yr, and I'd take Hernandez
But if he scores 3 goals out of no where ala Hernandez has done recently then everyone in here will be shouting how he deserves next season at the club...

204Red

Maybe if he was five times the player he is now he'd be an okay signing.

If he was twice the player... he also be earning in excess of 500K a week

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Here's the fact though. Rooney is better than either player and we play 1 striker so that Fellaini (to a lesser extent Ander) can get into the areas he's best in

Whoever we get IS the sub.

Even if Falcao got back to somewhere near his best, Rooney is the manager's favourite and we play better with 1 striker than with 2. So clearly the best solution is to have whoever is okay and will do their best from the subs bench. If thats Hernandez it saves us money too. If he's not happy with that role we can look elsewhere
think Hernandez does not want to be here...and LvG does not want him either...I think it will be neither tbh.....we will go for two new strikers or at least one striker and an attacking midfielder.

Roman Bellic

Prick
I think we'd all be willing to keep an average Falcao, this Falcao i've seen play this season has definitely been worse than average... he has been shocking.

Roboc7

Monaco are the big losers here, we took a risk it hasn't worked and I am sure we have no intention of paying a third choice striker 250k a week, talk about the club not caring about his wages is nonsense. He is paid to be world class not a backup who cant even make an impact, no way going forward that will be allowed to continue, same applies to other players.

Falcao as well probably has no intention of staying because why would he want to sit on the bench and have to wait for injuries to get a game, if RVP was fit he may well have not even got his recent cameos. He is also guaranteed 250k a week for next few years so he's not giving that up no matter what, he moved to Monaco for money after all.

Monaco are faced with reality of either having to let him go for a small fee, maybe even for free, having to loan him again and there is a good chance they may have to subsidise his wages even when they do get rid of him.

Claymore

Falcao hasn't had the best of a run in the team, nor has he always had teamates playing him in chances but what I've seen so far has not been worth all the hype let along the wages. What he did to Chelsea in the Super Cup he looks like a shot player in comparison. He could be one of those who takes a season to settle then explodes but doesn't look likely, needs to shoot more, get Paul Ince on the case!

Amir

I think we'd all be willing to keep an average Falcao, this Falcao i've seen play this season has definitely been worse than average... he has been shocking.
He's been fine for a while, quite good in his first few weeks, even if the finishing wasn't there. But he's turned from OK to a total disaster as time went by.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
The way he runs makes him look as if he's about to fall over if connecting with a slight breeze.
But that isn't the case is it. He will not get knocked over by a 'slight breeze'. Just an exaggeration, one of many people use to ridicule Falcao. Kind of like saying he can't...

can't control a football, pass a football, shoot on target

He has done all of those things. In fact I saw a message in here talking about his pass %age when he came on V Everton and it was very high. Yes nothing particularly risky but not as bad as people constantly make out.

He has not been good and I am not defending him against his wage or potential transfer fee. I will defend him against sensationalist ridicule and, often, lies.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
But that isn't the case is it. He will not get knocked over by a 'slight breeze'. Just an exaggeration, one of many people use to ridicule Falcao. Kind of like saying he can't...

He has done all of those things. In fact I saw a message in here talking about his pass %age when he came on V Everton and it was very high. Yes nothing particularly risky but not as bad as people constantly make out.

He has not been good and I am not defending him against his wage or potential transfer fee. I will defend him against sensationalist ridicule and, often, lies.
I take your point, but there is some justice in saying he's knocked on the floor a great deal, also both his ball control and his overal strength when trying to hold up the ball, with his back to defenders has been found lacking to date.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I take your point, but there is some justice in saying he's knocked on the floor a great deal, also both his ball control and his overal strength when trying to hold up the ball, with his back to defenders has been found lacking to date.
I agree with that, yes. It's far away from the original post I quoted (which wasn't yours).

Litch

Nothing I said there wasn't true.

Well RVP and Wilson have been injured, so we've been pretty limited on the striker front.

LVG has only played him when he's had to, in the last few months.
LVG still wouldn't have played him.....

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I think there's a chance if you can get the price down to £20m. If Monaco still want €43m, forget it. Plus a Falcao pay cut which I can't see happening.
Agreed, the price needs to drop down drastically from the alleged £40m, and he needs to take a significant pay-cut to accommodate our new signings. I hope LVG giving him chances is more of an indication in his faith that Falcao'll come good in awhile, rather than a last chances for Falcao to prove his worth. Because despite all, Falcao was a world-class finisher before being hit by a career-threatening injury that kept him sidelined for too long a stretch of time. Even this season, he wasn't given enough consecutive runs or starts for him to gain some confidence early on, and though he has been unlucky or poor at holding-up the ball or finishing, he's shown great desire and commitment every time he's played.

He's Falcao, folks. One poor rehab season might be a deception. If Liverpool can take a 20m gamble with Balotelli, so can we with a tad more higher for Radamel Falcao. :P (Although I hope ours pays off instead).
Maybe we could at least extend the loan, to give him another chance next season when we'll have other competitions to play for.

Roboc7

Agreed, the price needs to drop down drastically from the alleged £40m, and he needs to take a significant pay-cut to accommodate our new signings. I hope LVG giving him chances is more of an indication in his faith that Falcao'll come good in awhile, rather than a last chances for Falcao to prove his worth. Because despite all, Falcao was a world-class finisher before being hit by a career-threatening injury that kept him sidelined for too long a stretch of time. Even this season, he wasn't given enough consecutive runs or starts for him to gain some confidence early on, and though he has been unlucky or poor at holding-up the ball or finishing, he's shown great desire and commitment every time he's played.

He's Falcao, folks. One poor rehab season might be a deception. If Liverpool can take a 20m gamble with Balotelli, so can we with a tad more higher for Radamel Falcao. :P (Although I hope ours pays off instead).
Maybe we could at least extend the loan, to give him another chance next season when we'll have other competitions to play for.
With the resources we have though why bother gambling on him? Makes no sense even if he improves what are we going to realistically get from someone who is close to turning 30 and has had three serious knee injuries, 2 decnt seasons maybe. It could take him another six months to get himself back to even half the player he used to be I really don't see the point it's the kind of gamble you take only of you are desperate or it's not expensive.

Falcao isn't going to drop his wages so that's 12m a year on a four year deal plus his signing on fee that's over 50m quid and that's without a transfer fee, if ant see anyone signing off that deal.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Manchester United is not some rehab club or an old peoples' home.
Only the best players are allowed to ply their trade for this club.

Scoring 4 goals in a half a season is terrible whichever way you look at it.
In comparison, Costa, who has also been injured regularly and had a stop start season has scored more than 4 times as many goals.

The right thing for him to do is to move to an easier league and lesser club, where he can get a guaranteed starting place (by virtue of his name, not his skill) and then attempt to regain his form.
At Man Utd, scoring 4 goals per season is going to turn us and him into a laughing stock and will cost us the league title.

Furthermore LVG has stated that he is looking for a 20 goal/season striker and that clearly is not Falcao.
IMO, Falcao should be paying Manchester United for allowing him to play for us and carry out his rehabilitation.

What logical reason is there for continuing to give him chances? Genuine question.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
With the resources we have though why bother gambling on him? Makes no sense even if he improves what are we going to realistically get from someone who is close to turning 30 and has had three serious knee injuries, 2 decnt seasons maybe. It could take him another six months to get himself back to even half the player he used to be I really don't see the point it's the kind of gamble you take only of you are desperate or it's not expensive.

Falcao isn't going to drop his wages so that's 12m a year on a four year deal plus his signing on fee that's over 50m quid and that's without a transfer fee, if ant see anyone signing off that deal.
The wages part is too discouraging, yes. Without a wage cut, the deal is impossible.

As to why we should take a gamble, just read up the first 10-15 pages of this thread. We were over the moon when he signed for us, when he was just back from his ACL. Our valuation of him has taken a pummelling on the basis of only this season's performance, and there's every reason to believe that this was an exception rather than a rule. It's not as if there are plenty of strikers available in the market out there, either who'll be willing to sit on the bench and play second fiddle to Rooney and yet provide the same quality of output. So though we could go for a Lacazette or a Kane as a long term replacement, it wouldn't be bad if Falcao improved dramatically to is usual levels next year off a good pre-season, and provided us for a couple of years' worth service at the top level before we sign a better long term replacement. It's a big if, but that's my point - the gamble is not a bad choice.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals

In comparison, Costa, who has also been injured regularly and had a stop start season has scored more than 4 times as many goals.

The right thing for him to do is to move to an easier league and lesser club, where he can get a guaranteed starting place (by virtue of his name, not his skill) and then attempt to regain his form.
At Man Utd, scoring 4 goals per season is going to turn us and him into a laughing stock and will cost us the league title.

Furthermore LVG has stated that he is looking for a 20 goal/season striker and that clearly is not Falcao.
IMO, Falcao should be paying Manchester United for allowing him to play for us and carry out his rehabilitation.

What logical reason is there for continuing to give him chances? Genuine question.
He didn't. He said we didn't have one, and he's correct on that since none of our strikers have scored 20+ goals this season. It's still possible we go into next season with Rooney, RvP and Wilson. He said nothing whatsoever about bringing in a new striker.

For the reason to play Falcao: he's earning alot of money and is a Manchester United player. Rooney was needed elsewhere and RvP/Wilson weren't fit to play. Van Gaal always plays with a real striker as he's not a fan of playing Di Maria/Januzaj/Mata or anyone like that as striker, he doesn't even like Messi as striker. If you've got Falcao and you're paying him huge wages you play him when it's needed if he's the only option. This will at least keep him focussed and not turn into a bad influence in the dressing room. We might need him if RvP gets injured again in training and Rooney is out. He might even be doing well in training? As long as he's ours, I don't see a problem with playing him. He's not a guaranteed starter anyways.

I don't want him at the club next season, mind.

Roboc7

The wages part is too discouraging, yes. Without a wage cut, the deal is impossible.

As to why we should take a gamble, just read up the first 10-15 pages of this thread. We were over the moon when he signed for us, when he was just back from his ACL. Our valuation of him has taken a pummelling on the basis of only this season's performance, and there's every reason to believe that this was an exception rather than a rule. It's not as if there are plenty of strikers available in the market out there, either who'll be willing to sit on the bench and play second fiddle to Rooney and yet provide the same quality of output. So though we could go for a Lacazette or a Kane as a long term replacement, it wouldn't be bad if Falcao improved dramatically to is usual levels next year off a good pre-season, and provided us for a couple of years' worth service at the top level before we sign a better long term replacement. It's a big if, but that's my point - the gamble is not a bad choice.
Why is there every reason to believe it is an exception? If no injury was involved I might see the logic but fact is he suffered a career threatening injury over a year ago and still hasn't recover, he was rushed back from that injury and he has had serious knee injuries before. The most likely outcome is he won't get back to his best, he is essentially an expensive long shot and should only interest clubs who are desperate or have more money than sense.

I also don't think falcao will be happy to be backup to Rooney, even less so than the likes of lacazette, dybala or benteke and as Rooney ages and declines so will falcao. Personally I just don't see the logic or need to gamble on him.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

He's likely genuinely good in training, which LvG places a ton of emphasis on and continues to stress that his selections are based completely on meritocracy. Whenever he's spoken of Falcao he keeps suggesting that he is showing quality but its frustrating to not see it happening for him in matches.

markhrad

Get him some creative midfielders next season then we will see a return of form. Then everyone will sing his praises and forget how much they use to criticise him. Its the way of the world. Form is temporary and circumstantial while class is permanent.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
It's become very annoying how poorly he handles the physical stuff. Falls over most of the time he receives the ball and if we don't get the foul call, we've usually lost the ball. All very surprising too since given his size and history

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
This season is pretty much done and dusted on our part, so i really don't care whether he plays or not. The interesting part is what is going to happen in the summer. I think we all agree that the prerequisite for him staying is Monaco giving him to us cheap, and he taking a substantial pay cut.

In the past we have had the likes of Owen and Henrik Larson in our squad, strikers who clearly were past their prime. If the above mentioned conditions are met, then i genuinely think we should take our chances on him. I highly doubt he will ever reach his old peak, but even if he went back to being 50% of that player, he would be a valuable addition.

Bohman

Van Gaal must believe he still has top level in him so Falcao must show something in training. Otherwise he wouldn´t play instead of Wilson and Van Persie.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I think I've solved the mystery of Falcao's performance issues. There's a guy who looks remarkably like him selling fruit out of the back of a truck at the end of my street. He's clearly the real Falcao, who has swapped places with this fruit seller that now plays for Manchester United.

Sam

I think I've solved the mystery of Falcao's performance issues. There's a guy who looks remarkably like him selling fruit out of the back of a truck at the end of my street. He's clearly the real Falcao, who has swapped places with this fruit seller that now plays for Manchester United.
I read on twitter that the real Falcao died in the Summer, and was replaced by his twin brother :lol:

I laughed at the time :nervous:

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
If Monaco would sell for 10 million and he lower his wages to around 100k I would keep him but there's zero chance that would happen so he should leave.

C'est Moi Cantona

If Monaco would sell for 10 million and he lower his wages to around 100k I would keep him but there's zero chance that would happen so he should leave.
He's better off going however cheap we could get him, it's sad to see him struggling so much and it'd be soul destroying for him, and us having him struggling away for another season.

He can go and play somewhere like Valencia, and RvP can take our 'not as good as he was' striker role next season.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
For the reason to play Falcao: he's earning alot of money and is a Manchester United player. Rooney was needed elsewhere and RvP/Wilson weren't fit to play.
One of those reasons isnt even true and the other is absolutely not a reason to play a player.

Seriously, playing players based on how much they earn? Wow...

Sparky Rhiwabon

I read on twitter that the real Falcao died in the Summer, and was replaced by his twin brother :lol:

I laughed at the time :nervous:
I read a similar conspiracy theory but not that he died. That his twin brother (who I think is a lower league footballer) swapped places with him as Falcao's injury was too bad!!

Status
Not open for further replies.