Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Was disappointed when we brought him on, as it is largely like playing a man down when he is on the park at times and teams are simply looking to defend deep and hit us on the counter like today. He really needs to work on his ability to hold up the ball in this system as fairly often the ball is played into his feet with a defender at hi back and he can't hold onto it and pass it off.

Though it was good to see him hit the back of the net, even if he was offside at the time. Hopefully that will give him a small boost of confidence.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I don't want him anywhere near this club. We've had enough dead weight to carry while we're hoping they come good. We've only just got rid of a load.

Wish him the best wherever he goes, but it would be absolutely ridiculous if we pay any money or even waste a squad allocation on him.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Good post. He's had a poor year, but that's completely independent of the fact that random posters jump into this thread to have a go at him in matches where most of the team were poor.
Also easy to take a dig at strikers when there are so few chances created. They look sort of "helpless" when we have those kind of games. United have been absolutely lousy this season at creating good chances. I'd like to know how many goals we've scored where a player only needed to put it past the keeper.

Drifter

American
"Falcao has been given the chance to be in the team this season. You can say he is unlucky – he has the quality to play," Van Gaal said as quoted by the Mirror.

"I like him and the way he played against Chelsea last week. He was unlucky he didn't score. I like Falcao as a human being, just as I like Danny Welbeck and Chicharito (Hernandez), they are always professional."

"But when you are not in the team for season after season, there comes a time when you need a challenge. That's why I have said goodbye to Welbeck and Chicharito. And now I have to talk with Falcao," he added.

Mali_Zeus

"Falcao has been given the chance to be in the team this season. You can say he is unlucky – he has the quality to play," Van Gaal said as quoted by the Mirror.

"I like him and the way he played against Chelsea last week. He was unlucky he didn't score. I like Falcao as a human being, just as I like Danny Welbeck and Chicharito (Hernandez), they are always professional."

"But when you are not in the team for season after season, there comes a time when you need a challenge. That's why I have said goodbye to Welbeck and Chicharito. And now I have to talk with Falcao," he added.
Does that mean he needs to say goodbye to him? :)

Chicharito_

Every time he recieved the ball in a tight spot he just lost it, thought this guy had some strength about him when he was at Atleti..

arthurka

Can´t remember being more let down by any United player in recent years. Most of us here had really high hopes for him and he just isn´t anywhere close being United´s class. Unlucky or not he has had his chances, now it´s time to cut our losses and find someone who might acctually score for a change.

saivet

So because the team was poor, we shouldn't criticise him? Guessing we shouldn't be critical of anyone then.

Empire

So because the team was poor, we shouldn't criticise him? Guessing we shouldn't be critical of anyone then.
If the team are not attacking with purpose or showing desire (according to the manager we had less than the opposition) then the striker isn't going to do much.

If that was Wilson or RVP that came on and did little because the team were simply outplayed I wouldn't see the point in criticising them, what would I expect them to do? I wouldn't criticise Rooney either and he played that role in the first half.

When Bayern dealt with Xavi in 2013, I didn't criticise Messi or the Barcelona attack, I did criticise their midfield for losing key battles, the same was true of Real Madrid that season.

Falcao's performance was average, I certainly wouldn't praise him for it but I also can't see what he did that deserves criticism. He came on, looked to get in behind the defence, moved around looking for spaces to attack, dropped deep when he was needed and circulated possession as Louis van Gaal likes and even his chance from Angel di Maria was good improvisation but Howard read his intentions well.

I would have expected Wilson or RVP or Rooney to do that too, it's kind of the role. When the team attack with aggression then the striker comes alive.

Last edited:

saivet

If the team are not attacking with purpose or showing desire (according to the manager we had less than the opposition) then the striker isn't going to do much.

If that was Wilson or RVP that came on and did little because the team were simply outplayed I wouldn't see the point in criticising them, what would I expect them to do? I wouldn't criticise Rooney either and he played that role in the first half.

When Bayern dealt with Xavi in 2013, I didn't criticise Messi or the Barcelona attack, I did criticise their midfield for losing key battles, the same was true of Real Madrid that season.

Falcao's performance was average, I certainly wouldn't praise him for it but I also can't see what he did that deserves criticism. He came on, looked to get in behind the defence, moved around looking for spaces to attack, dropped deep when he was needed and circulated possession as Louis van Gaal likes and even his chance from Angel di Maria was good improvisation but Howard read his intentions well.

I would have expected Wilson or RVP or Rooney to do that too, it's kind of the role. When the team attack with aggression then the striker comes alive.
Fair point

settembrini

The excuses offered up for Falcao are looking less and less creditable imo.

Don't see how his ineffectiveness can still be blamed on other players. Just a few weeks ago when he wasn't in the team people were claiming his poor season was because he had been misused and if he was given a chance as the lone forward in our current system he would prove his class. Well he's had that chance the last two games and looked as feeble as ever.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
The question I pose is this;

If it were not Falcao, but Hernandez or Welbeck who had put in these performances all season - would the same people still be defending him and coming up with the same reasons (I dont want to call them excuses...but..) for their performances?

I am inclined to say no. I think Falcao's reputation has tinted the view of some people, who were/are so desperate for him to succeed, and saw his signing as such a coup, that they cant quite believe what has happened.

markhrad

I wonder how many times has he played with Carrick on the field. RVP always looked more dangerous when Carrick played. I don't remember seeing Carrick playing with Falcao.

Bwuk

If it were not Falcao, but Hernandez or Welbeck who had put in these performances all season - would the same people still be defending him and coming up with the same reasons (I dont want to call them excuses...but..) for their performances?

I am inclined to say no. I think Falcao's reputation has tinted the view of some people, who were/are so desperate for him to succeed, and saw his signing as such a coup, that they cant quite believe what has happened.
Nail on the head. He's living off of his reputation, and what if scenarios.

LR7

His got a proven track record, yes his had a shit season but last year so did Young and Fellaini and look at them now...
We've already shelled out a lot of money this season alone based on his track record, to splash out any more would be stupid. He's shown very little. I'd rather Wilson got his minutes, or Ings for free. Also from the van Gaal quotes he'll have to acdept a super sub role. If that's the case is rather keep Chicharito. At least he scores lots of goals even with a bit part role, and he has pace.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He didnt play too badly yesterday (or against Chelsea); he played in-line with all our other players.
The problem is we want a game changer. We are buying into a big name and expect a big performance. A man who can single-handedly win us a game.

3 examples:
Hazard did this for Chelsea last week.
When Ings played against us at Old Trafford, he made impact.
I did notice that when Mirallas came on (for Everton), he made immediate impact (I think within 6 minutes).

In all these games Falcao was on the pitch and made no impact.

Other examples of game changers:
Aguero regularly does this for Man City.
Kane does this for Tottenham.
De Gea has done this previously for us.
Costa does this for Chelsea.

People are getting far too fixated on 1 or 2 game performances. You have to look at the bigger picture and not just 1 or 2 game performances.
Falcao is makes zero impact in our games and based on this, we should not buy him.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I wonder how many times has he played with Carrick on the field. RVP always looked more dangerous when Carrick played. I don't remember seeing Carrick playing with Falcao.
Even then though, that doesn't excuse for the fact that Falcao's generally been very poor whenever he's played for us. He'd perhaps have a couple more goals if he'd played with Carrick more often, but I'm not sure it'd have had that much of an impact.

RetroStu

Its a shame that goal he scored yesterday was offside, it would of been funny seeing how many people changed their mind on him and wanted him to stay.

ravi2

Its a shame that goal he scored yesterday was offside, it would of been funny seeing how many people changed their mind on him and wanted him to stay.

Even if he scored yesterday I feel as though he is not good enough for us. He just does not look like the same player he once was in any department....except for maybe passion....I really like the guy and wished it worked out

Shark

@NotShark
I know it's only Youtube, but how on earth can you go from the magnificent, clever and lethal goalscorer in this video, to the shambles we're seeing now? it happened Torres too, but it's still quite baffling how far they fell. Surely you'd still retain at least some quality.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line

Plenty of fans liked and defended Welbeck and Hernandez until even after they left us. Hernandez a little less so but he was still liked and defended for what he did. In fact, there are still fans who wouldn't be averse to taking him back next season as an option.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Plenty of fans liked and defended Welbeck and Hernandez until even after they left us. Hernandez a little less so but he was still liked and defended for what he did. In fact, there are still fans who wouldn't be averse to taking him back next season as an option.
I am one of them ;)

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I am one of them ;)
So case in point, those players were offering up games where their touches were terrible, they were missing easy chances and generally looking below the standard of a top United striker and they were being defended. You asked the question and you're one of the fans who has and did defend them.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
You just know we won't sign him and he'll go off somewhere else and become a world beater again.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
So case in point, those players were offering up games where their touches were terrible, they were missing easy chances and generally looking below the standard of a top United striker and they were being defended. You asked the question and you're one of the fans who has and did defend them.
I dont think Hernandez or Welbeck achieved quite the depths that Falcao has.
Welbeck could always be relied on for his all-round player and contribution, even if his finishing was poor.
Hernandez has always been a good goal poacher when he has been given the chance.

Put either of them in instead of Falcao this season and I think they would have achieved more, in some way shape or form.

ravi2

I know it's only Youtube, but how on earth can you go from the magnificent, clever and lethal goalscorer in this video, to the shambles we're seeing now? it happened Torres too, but it's still quite baffling how far they fell. Surely you'd still retain at least some quality.

And Shevchenko and Morientes.
No one fell harder than Torres...after that leg injury he simply was never the same again....and before that he was the deadliest striker in european football. Falco was amazing and one of the best #9's ever....but Torres was the best for me.

I cannot figure out what the hell happened to Shevchenko.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I dont think Hernandez or Welbeck achieved quite the depths that Falcao has.
Welbeck could always be relied on for his all-round player and contribution, even if his finishing was poor.
Hernandez has always been a good goal poacher when he has been given the chance.

Put either of them in instead of Falcao this season and I think they would have achieved more, in some way shape or form.
Plus they were yong and lernin. You could forgive iffy performances on the basis they would almost certainly improve in the future. It's the doubts over Falcao's capacity to improve that makes it hard to be positive about him.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
His got a proven track record, yes his had a shit season but last year so did Young and Fellaini and look at them now...
Neither Young nor Fallaini had a potentially career-ending injury though.

If he were merely struggling for form that'd be something you could take on board but he's clearly struggling with his body and sadly the Prem wasn't the league to come to for the first time following such a bad injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.