Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redo91

We actually only have two number 10s, I don't understand the assumption that we have an abundance of players there. Rooney is not naturally a 10. He is a striker, pure and simple. Januzaj is nowhere near ready to be a 10 at a major team yet. He's good on the wing, for now.

I'm not even going to count Fellaini, for obvious reasons.
As Carl pointed out Rooney has spent most of his career playing as a number 10 therefore that would suggest that it is his natural position. Januzaj is a number 10. Whether he is ready to play in that position for us is another matter (personally I would be comfortable with him filling in there but want Mata as our first choice in that position for now) but he is a better number 10 than a winger.

Deleted member 78215

Van Gaal says we have 4. Van Gaal > TooBias

Kagawa, Mata and Januzaj are all #10s. I don't like Rooney there but that's where he's played his entire career so it's not exactly unusual for him to be described as a #10.
As another poster said, it's possible van Gaal meant 10s to be strikers - because it was in the context of playing only one striker in a 433 - of which we definitely have 4. I doubt van Gaal even considers Fellaini a footballer, let alone a 10.

Brightonian

As another poster said, it's possible van Gaal meant 10s to be strikers - because it was in the context of playing only one striker in a 433 - of which we definitely have 4. I doubt van Gaal even considers Fellaini a footballer, let alone a 10.
This is a good point and very possible. Regardless, I think it's silly to try and read loads of detail into those comments, because his English is too rusty for us to be able to say confidently exactly what he meant. The overall point - that he's playing the 352 because our squad is forward-heavy and he wants to be able to play more of them - is the only one really worth paying attention to.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This is a good point and very possible. Regardless, I think it's silly to try and read loads of detail into those comments, because his English is too rusty for us to be able to say confidently exactly what he meant. The overall point - that he's playing the 352 because our squad is forward-heavy and he wants to be able to play more of them - is the only one really worth paying attention to.
Think it's almost definitely with regards to the strikers, because the other comments he said was that he can't have 3 of them on the bench if he used a 4-3-3 so this way he has 2 starting. So yeah, it's strikers I think. We're overstocked with both IMO but he does have a point, and I don't think he sees Rooney as a winger/#10/midfielder, but a striker like he should be IMO.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Love that goal, reminds me of the whiteside one.

Out of interest do you think he could cover lb? Just thought he might because of fabio.
I don't think van Gaal will have him down as an option there but I'm sure in an emergency, if he is on the pitch, he will go over there before any midfielder or other defender.

FromTheBench

He picks up these strains and niggling injuries a lot and it could really hinder him if it carries on.

NMF

This is getting ridiculous now, wasted potential and to think how good he would be if he wasn't constantly injured.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
I think it's way too harsh and soon to call him a waste of potential. He has been great for us and developed well over the years. Not every footballer has a dream run of injuries. All we have to go by is a tweet saying he limped off. Have to wait and see if it's serious or not.

Sam

Oh ffs, this will just mean more of Valencia :(

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Doesn't matter if he is a first choice or not. Unless he has an injury free season that's really a moot point.
Firstly - Who said it matters? Does it have to 'matter' for me to type about it? Half the stuff posted on here doesn't really matter.

Secondly - People are debating whether he'll play regularly ahead of Valencia. As the default option, so to speak.
Doesn't that concern him being first choice? Yes it does, and personally, I don't think he'll play regularly with Valencia as his understudy. If we don't bring in a player specifically for the wing-back role, then Valencia's as suited (if not more suited) to play there, in my opinion.

I'm not really sure how that's a moot point.

Last edited:

JSMHE

This is why Smalling and Jones spent their time as a right back.

Momochiru

Firstly - Who said it matters? Does it have to 'matter' for me to type about it? Half the stuff posted on here doesn't really matter.

Secondly - People are debating whether he'll play regularly ahead of Valencia. As the default option, so to speak.
Doesn't that concern him being first choice? Yes it does, and personally, I don't think he'll play regularly with Valencia as his understudy. If we don't bring in a player specifically for the wing-back role, then Valencia's as suited (if not more suited) to play there, in my opinion.

I'm not really sure how that's a moot point.
It's a moot point because if he gets injured all the time he will not get enough time to build up the momentum to become a first choice. Even if LVG likes him more he would be forced to use Valencia most of the time. There were reports that he got injured again in training... Hence I think Rafael shouldn't worry about competition from Valencia so much - the most important thing for him is to stay injury free.

Kostur

海尔的老板
We seriously need to get a right back. And I'm not sure whether it has to be a 'back up' or a first-team starter. Rafael's injury record is absolutely ridiculous and it doesn't seem to stop.

RustyS

Gutted for him. He seemed eager to impress when he came on and was doing too much. Now he gets injured :( I hope it's not serious and he recovers before the season kicks off.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Has to finally have an injury free season. But it's a huge risk not to,have a Rb alternative.
Jesus, so much for that. He's made of twigs and rubber bands. We absolutely need a new RB. Can't stand the idea of Valencia or one of the CBs filling in for another season.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
I hope it's nothing. Maybe it's just a little strain which will keep him out for just a week. :(

SirAF

Ageist
Such a surprise that he's injured again.. I hope that LvG will go with Valencia as his wing back - I love Rafael but we cant rely on him being fit enough of the time.

footballgirl07

So frustrating with this latest injury but it is pre season so hopefully it is only a minor strain and he will be fit for first game of the season.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Time to throw big money at Everton for Coleman.

Al-T

Further evidence, if any were needed, that the issue of the quality of our defenders is secondary to their being able to stay fit for any length of time. Rafael, Evans, Smalling and Jones all have a season ticket for the sick room. We need robust defensive recruits pronto.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Time to throw big money at Everton for Coleman.
Not really anyone 'available' who's better suited to right wing back than Coleman. At least that I can think of. I'd be really happy with him coming here.
Not going to happen though.

Last edited:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I love Rafael, but he needs to go and we need to replace him with someone that can hold up for any length of games/
Bit soon saying he needs to go. Yeah, this is annoying and it's arguable we could do with another right-back, but the guy was excellent a couple of seasons back and does clearly have some quality. If he is able to stay fit after this injury, I'm hopeful he could maybe find some of his better form again. If we're talking in the same position in a year though, you may have a point, although hopefully that won't be the case.

Shark

@NotShark
Our defenders are made of glass. I don't trust any of them to stay fit.

Hed Zitin

I think he's a great player, but this is getting ridiculous now. The bloke cannot stay fit.

We need a settled defense, especially with a new system of play and I struggle to see how we will achieve that.

Bwuk

I love Rafael, but we need a right back. He's proven he can't be trusted to stay fit. I'd of loved us to have been in for Chambers at Southampton. Perhaps look at Coleman.

It's no use having him first choice only to go off injured and have to rely on Jones or Smalling, neither of whom are that great at right back.

Brightonian

Calm down girls, it's a little groin strain. No need to start throwing yourselves off balconies just yet.

We need reliable back-up. But once we have that, there's nothing wrong with Rafa as first choice. Personally I'd be fine with promoting Varela, he's very defensively reliable.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Calm down girls, it's a little groin strain. No need to start throwing yourselves off balconies just yet.

We need reliable back-up. But once we have that, there's nothing wrong with Rafa as first choice. Personally I'd be fine with promoting Varela, he's very defensively reliable.
Until the next 2-3 month injury after this one and then another 1-2 month set back after that.

The guy is constantly injured. IMO he's one of the best when he's fit but keeping him fit is the problem.

Ekeke

Does Janko even play RB for the reserves?
He plays right midfield which is close to the role Valencia and Rafael played in the first pre-season game on the side of a 5 man midfield. He has played right back for us, just very little and he was a right back before he came to the club its just we tried to fit both him and Varela into the team.

He's a Valencia with proper training to play right back and arguably less reliant on pace to beat a man. I'd give him an edge on dribbling over Valencia, with not as much speed but still plenty enough for the role.

Midnight1811

He plays right midfield which is close to the role Valencia and Rafael played in the first pre-season game on the side of a 5 man midfield. He has played right back for us, just very little and he was a right back before he came to the club its just we tried to fit both him and Varela into the team.

He's a Valencia with proper training to play right back and arguably less reliant on pace to beat a man. I'd give him an edge on dribbling over Valencia, with not as much speed but still plenty enough for the role.
As long as he's not 'peg leg' then all is swell.

Status
Not open for further replies.