Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamadovich86

Ah yes, I think I've heard this one before. This season is the one where he doesn't get injured and leave us relying on a dodgy backup.

What, he's injured already?
He got hurt on the US tour. I do think we need someone to compete with him and Valencia for that RWB spot. Not a dodgy backup sort but the kind that could start even. I love Raf but the fact that hes injured half the time does not serve him or the club.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
It's not like he never had a full season - he had, just the season before, actually. And he was brilliant. So it wasn't really a bizarre statement that he can be a regular starter and very important player for us, like he was the last time we won the league.

You're talking like I'm the Liverpool fan waiting for the next year to be our year, despite not winning the league for decades. My league "was won" not so long ago and there are a lot of players who left their injury problems aside with age, Van Persie or Robben, for example.
We can't just cross our fingers and hope though that this season will be an injury free one for him, especially given that he's already fecking injured!. Valencia playing in his place is a sub rate solution, let alone having a CB play in his place.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
On pure ability one of our best players and one of the best right backs in the league. For the love of god stay fit we need you.

Firstouch20

Van Gaal: I have to say with a huge amount of regret that we're letting you go Rafael

Rafael: Wow, really? Are you about sign a new right back?

Van Gaal:
No, but i just prefer Ashley Young in your position, no offense

Rafael:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This will be LVG's first massive cock up if he really does sell Rafael. I personally can't see it though, unless he feels Rafael is not good enough as a wingback but he saw him for what 1 and a half games?.

I hope they have this part wrong.

LARulz

Won't happen. It's not like we are stocked in that position. He may prefer Valencia as a right wing back for now but we have injuries all too often and what happens it the 3-5-2 becomes ineffective at some point in the season? We'd have to change it up and probably go with a back 4 and he'd be the only choice.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Rafael going but Valencia staying would actually be beyond belief. Unbelievable if true.

Gopher Brown

I'm not necessarily against selling Rafael, but not until we have a replacement who is better than him. We don't at the moment. He should not be sold at the moment. He's only just 24 and he's shown enough to stay another season - it's not like our squad is full and we can't afford the wages.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Is he really going to complain about the balance of our squad then sell our only Right Back after watching him for like a game and a bit?

Hed Zitin

We'll end up playing a back four at some point and he's our only proper RB. It would be utter madness. Not to mention the fact I like having him around.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I probably wouldn't sell him just yet. I don't think he'll get much game time this season though.

KiD MoYeS

Who will in his position? Valencia? Young? Or do you think we'll be buying Cuadrado?
I think both Valencia and Young are currently ahead of him in the pecking order for right wing-back, all this could change throughout the season but he'd have to remain fit first...

FromTheBench

I think both Valencia and Young are currently ahead of him in the pecking order for right wing-back, all this could change throughout the season but he'd have to remain fit first...
There's no evidence to suggest that they are ahead.

Well yeah they will be when he's injured. Anyway, if his injury issues is that much of a factor then let's sell Evans, Jones, Smalling as well.

LR7

He's my favourite player and should be a key part of this squad and one of those we should be building around for the future.

Sam

He's my favourite player and should be a key part of this squad and one of those we should be building around for the future.
He should be a key player but his injury record is horrendous. We just can't rely on him anymore.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
As I said in the other thread I'd be open to selling him for a decent fee. He's far too unreliable in terms of injuries and play. He hasn't matured the way he should've IMO.

He's played 6 seasons with us and has only once made 40 appearances. His next highest tally is 28 and that's mainly been down to injuries.

Blue always red

That article is a bunch of shit. He's defensively sound, moreso than both Young and Valencia put together, and he offers more in attack than Valencia and maybe Young...

He definitely will not be sold unless we have a guaranteed replacement lined up.

ArmchairCritic

FFS, he was looking mature and generally very good in SAF's final season and then errm the Moyes era happened.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'm not fussed if he does go, slowly becoming another Anderson/Nani living off his so called potential

KiD MoYeS

Rafael is a popular player among our fans, so I can understand the concern. I've said it before but he is overrated on here, I don't think he'd get much game time for other elite European clubs. His injury record is poor and he is still capable of a brain fart or two. I like him, and would keep him but we should definitely be in the market for an upgrade. If van Gaal feels more comfortable with Valencia and Young at wing-back then so be it, I trust his judgement.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
I'm not his biggest fan...but to sell him instead of Valencia would be crazy
Valencia is a big beast who rarely gets injured compared to Rafael. I can see why that would be attractive if Van Gaal wants a tight squad.

But anyway, I don't trust this story. I can't see sales of players like Rafael until replacements are signed.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
FFS, he was looking mature and generally very good in SAF's final season and then errm the Moyes era happened.
Yeah but SAF's final season was a bit of an anomaly for Rafael in terms of injuries. Last season was far more indicative of what we've seen in the past from him.

He made 40 appearances in SAF's last season. His next best is 28. For a guy who's been here for 6 years and is generally considered a starting rightback that is really poor.

ArmchairCritic

Yeah but SAF's final season was a bit of an anomaly for Rafael in terms of injuries. Last season was far more indicative of what we've seen in the past from him.

He made 40 appearances in SAF's last season. His next best is 28. For a guy who's been here for 6 years and is generally considered a starting rightback that is really poor.
Moyes was fecking dinosaur so it was no surprise Rafael was injured more often, he looked like he was getting it together in 2012-13, deserves another year at least if Valencia, Cleverley and Young get another chance.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
There's no way Valencia or Young would get picked ahead off a super fit Rafael on the right. Not in a 3-5-2, not in a 4-3-3, just no way.

ArmchairCritic

Clinging to Rafael's great season could be similar to clinging to Valencia's great season...
No it wouldn't Rafael's always generally been good. His issues have been discipline and injuries and in 2012-13 he looked like he had it sorted. The lad can actually play and he's suited for this formation.

Sam

Clinging to Rafael's great season could be similar to clinging to Valencia's great season...
Tbf, Rafa hasn't shown such any considerable drop in talent ala Valencia, if anything he's consistently got better. Its just his injury record is so appalling that its gone from being a bit of a worry to a major concern.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Yeah except for the fact Rafael actually knows what he's doing when he's got the ball on his feet and has ten times more potential than Nani or Valencia. Seriously I'm not even gonna read this thread anymore, biggest nonsense ever. And if we somehow sell Rafael... nah there's just no way Van Gaal would be so stupid. Unless PSG or Barca or Real are offering insane money for him and Rafael himself wants out.

Status
Not open for further replies.