Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Juan't Mata

Calm down girls, it's a little groin strain. No need to start throwing yourselves off balconies just yet.

We need reliable back-up. But once we have that, there's nothing wrong with Rafa as first choice. Personally I'd be fine with promoting Varela, he's very defensively reliable.
Problem is that Raf seems to constantly be getting these "little" injuries.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Calm down girls, it's a little groin strain. No need to start throwing yourselves off balconies just yet.

We need reliable back-up. But once we have that, there's nothing wrong with Rafa as first choice. Personally I'd be fine with promoting Varela, he's very defensively reliable.
Groin strains are a bitch. Depends on the severity of course but they're always tougher to heal. Could be a few weeks which will totally ruin his pre-season. That's why girls are not calm.

::sonny::

He is tiny and lightweight, grew up in some favelas eating outdated food

I wouldn't be surprised if he is injury prone

Shimo

Love the lad but can't stop feeling a bit discouraged by yet another injury.

ZDwyr

Really disappointing. Not exactly surprising though. The time is coming where we have to make a decision on him.

Loublaze

ATLien
Really disappointing. Not exactly surprising though. The time is coming where we have to make a decision on him.
I want Varela to be given a chance. He has potential to be better than Rafael

Mali_Zeus

It has come to point where injuries can really destroy his career. He is more on a treatment table than on the pitch.

Whats up with Varela btw is he even on tour?

Bwuk

We really need to sign a first choice right back. Rafael can never stay fit.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Not great news. Really hope after this he can avoid getting injured for the rest of the season, as him being on the treatment table so often can't be helping his development.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
If it's a little strain then that's fine. Rooney's another player that seems to pick up knocks all the time during the season, but as long as he's out for short periods of time it doesn't really matter that much. If he's out for a while though, then yeah a trend is developing and we probably should look to replace him. Which is a shame, I think he's a great right back, figured he'd tie that position down for years to come.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
You would think a lot of fans are about ready to throw Rafa under a bus because of his injuries.

Gopher Brown

You would think a lot of fans are about ready to throw Rafa under a bus because of his injuries.
There's a time for sentiment and a time for realising that his injury record is severely impacting on our performances on the pitch. He's not going to reach a point soon where he can stay injury free for a consistent run. It's a shame because I think a wing-back role would suit him well.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
There's a time for sentiment and a time for realising that his injury record is severely impacting on our performances on the pitch. He's not going to reach a point soon where he can stay injury free for a consistent run. It's a shame because I think a wing-back role would suit him well.
No doubt that there is no room for sentiment. We need our best players fit and ready to go. However, injuries are part of the game and sometimes can't be avoided. A reality that fans don't want to accept, they need to blame someone, that's just natural. I would much prefer Rafael (and any player) to get over these injuries but I'm sure he and the medical team do their absolute best to try and resolve them. I'm not going to hide from the fact that he is a favourite of mine so I will naturally stand by him but I think he needs the support and I'm sure he will be fit soon. If that's blind optimism, so be it but even with that, I do understand the need to always look to improve but in my opinion, I can't think of any RB we could bring in that would be an upgrade on Rafael.

By the way, do you have any proof that he isn't going to reach a point where he can stay injury free? A lot of players are injury prone and then get over them.

Blair

Surprise surprise. Rafa out again. Getting beyond a joke now.

Just a matter of time before his other sicknote mates, Jones, Smalling and Evans join him.

Kag

Judging by some of the comments you would think Rafael, among others in the squad, enjoy getting injuries. Believe me, he'll be a lot more pissed off than some of the whoppers in here. These guys have my sympathy more so than anything else, I don't care however much they earn.

bucky

No one is saying that, but I care mainly about United and therefore think it's getting to a point for a lot of us, where we should look at a replacement.

Oo0AahCantona

I wouldn't be against bringing in a legit right back, and let rafa fight for the spot for a few years. He has had virtually no competition for the spot and although he has been exceptional at times, i feel he needs a little push. It also gives up ample cover for his injury niggles, which he can hopefully wriggle out off over the comming years. Top player when his confidence is up.

Loublaze

ATLien
It has come to point where injuries can really destroy his career. He is more on a treatment table than on the pitch.

Whats up with Varela btw is he even on tour?
He should be. LVG still looks at Smalling and Valencia as his RB backups which is depressing. I know its only because he's been told that but once he sees how talented Varela is someone is getting fired for giving wrong information. Varela is 21 years old. To me he's a better defender than Rafael and he needs a chance.

ravelston

He should be. LVG still looks at Smalling and Valencia as his RB backups which is depressing. I know its only because he's been told that but once he sees how talented Varela is someone is getting fired for giving wrong information. Varela is 21 years old. To me he's a better defender than Rafael and he needs a chance.
Given that we don't play full backs any more, I doubt if Smalling is seen to be his backup. That seems to be Valencia or Young currently. Maybe Varela will get a look in when we get back from the tour.

footballgirl07

I'm guessing no new update with him atm? Gutted he has got another little niggly injury. Hope he gets fit for the start of the season at least.

mu4c_20le

No updates for this bump, but I am just curious to know if the lad as suffered a nasty injury in the past year or two that I'm not aware of? He seems to have dropped off the radar both for the media and fans. I've noticed that in many people's mock lineups, they'd rather have Valencia or Young in his position, or even Cuardado. I refuse to believe that one bad season under a mediocre manager could ruin a player. When rumors first started about LVG's new system of playing 3 at the back with wingbacks to support, my first thought was that Rafael's name should be first on the teamsheet. He and his twin brother were natural wingbacks even before they signed for us. LVG's wingbacks would surely suit him as it gives him the freedom to bomb forward while the three centerbacks give him enough cover in case he doesn't track back quick enough.

I really hope we're not planning to offload him because I still have high hopes for him. He's still prone to the occasional brain fart and rash tackle, but that's probably part of his Brazilian DNA. His attacking prowess is far too valuable to overlook. I think he's going to have a great season with Van Gaal, providing lots of assists and even bang in a couple of screamers which he's more than capable of.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
No updates for this bump, but I am just curious to know if the lad as suffered a nasty injury in the past year or two that I'm not aware of? He seems to have dropped off the radar both for the media and fans. I've noticed that in many people's mock lineups, they'd rather have Valencia or Young in his position, or even Cuardado. I refuse to believe that one bad season under a mediocre manager could ruin a player. When rumors first started about LVG's new system of playing 3 at the back with wingbacks to support, my first thought was that Rafael's name should be first on the teamsheet. He and his twin brother were natural wingbacks even before they signed for us. LVG's wingbacks would surely suit him as it gives him the freedom to bomb forward while the three centerbacks give him enough cover in case he doesn't track back quick enough.

I really hope we're not planning to offload him because I still have high hopes for him. He's still prone to the occasional brain fart and rash tackle, but that's probably part of his Brazilian DNA. His attacking prowess is far too valuable to overlook. I think he's going to have a great season with Van Gaal, providing lots of assists and even bang in a couple of screamers which he's more than capable of.
It's Cuadrado.

Agree with the post though. Love him and still believe that he would become a key player for us.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
He is still fairly young (24) but to be honest he has had only 1 season where he was consistently good. Lets not also forget he has only one season where he made 30+ appearances for the first team and one season where he made 20+ appearances in the EPL which is pretty poor for a full back. He has all the attributes required to become a top notch wing back and hope he has another season like the 12/13 one.

Juan't Mata

It's Cuadrado.

Agree with the post though. Love him and still believe that he would become a key player for us.
He'll never be a key player when he gets injured every time it looks like he's going on a decent run of games.

ravi2

Love that goal, reminds me of the whiteside one.

Out of interest do you think he could cover lb? Just thought he might because of fabio.
Aren't we buying blind to cover the lb/DM?

Tompo

Big season for the wee man, he has all the attributes needed to play the wingback role well. Let's hope he stays fit and Van Gaal delevops him as I think he will.

harms

Staff
He'll never be a key player when he gets injured every time it looks like he's going on a decent run of games.
He was a key player for us in the last Fergie's season. And, probably, third best performer. And look at Van Persie, for example, and his injury record in Arsenal. He didn't become a key player for us and Arsenal?
Stop with the cliches.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Big season for the wee man, he has all the attributes needed to play the wingback role well. Let's hope he stays fit and Van Gaal delevops him as I think he will.
Agree, excited to see him in a more offensive role. Hopefully he can weigh in with a fair few goals and assists.

RedOldBoy

Most people on this forum I would guess and this includes myself, like Rafa and think he has a place in the first team.
You can't get away from the fact that he is injury prone and can't seem to get a big run of consecutive matches under his belt.

I hate for us to have stand-ins like Valencia, Smalling or Jones playing RB/RWB threw out the up coming season.
I'd sooner we have a proper RB/RWB stand-in.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
He was a key player for us in the last Fergie's season. And, probably, third best performer. And look at Van Persie, for example, and his injury record in Arsenal. He didn't become a key player for us and Arsenal?
Stop with the cliches.
Ah yes, I think I've heard this one before. This season is the one where he doesn't get injured and leave us relying on a dodgy backup.

What, he's injured already?

harms

Staff
Ah yes, I think I've heard this one before. This season is the one where he doesn't get injured and leave us relying on a dodgy backup.

What, he's injured already?
It's not like he never had a full season - he had, just the season before, actually. And he was brilliant. So it wasn't really a bizarre statement that he can be a regular starter and very important player for us, like he was the last time we won the league.

You're talking like I'm the Liverpool fan waiting for the next year to be our year, despite not winning the league for decades. My league "was won" not so long ago and there are a lot of players who left their injury problems aside with age, Van Persie or Robben, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.