Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojan11

One of the only reasons I'd be against the move would be as stated above he's our only natural RB if we need to play 433, the fawning over the player by some United fan's I do find odd though, hes consistently rash but whats worse is his staggeringly awful injury record, even when fit to start so often he needs to be subbed prior the 70minute mark, what good is a player who never plays?
I agree.

I wouldn't want him sold this summer as it's not a issue that needs addressing. But I don't think he's as great as some people make him out to be.

::sonny::

Finally a manager who understands that he is not good enough, it was clear to me since 5 yrs.

Smores

Daily mail, they probably just wanted to round up to five and noticed he'd not played much preseason.

You don't sell a player with the kind of spirit this lad has. It would have to be a hell of an upgrade

badkins

Wouldn't want him to be sold, but we definitely need a right back - if not this summer (Cuadrado?), then next one.

We're talking about 24yr old footballer, who managed to stay fit for ONE season, where he played 40 games overall, which isn't something astonishing.
In other seasons he didn't managed to exceed 30 games overall and never played more than 20 league games (except that one season from above).
Evra played ~50 games a season for a bloody while, that's what you'd expect from a top defender you can rely on.

He's a likeable chap, but come on - if you don't stay fit, you won't make it at this level.

montpelier

Not a great fan of Rafael meself. At least, 50/50 on whether the positives - ability on the ball, heart etc, outweigh the negatives.

However, if this is true - which I don't think it is. LVG has very quickly decided that the decision-making/defensive problems can't be gotten over because the kid is a bit brainless & too impulsive - which might be accurate but still looks hasty. And doesn't seem entirely fair. But it's football, innit.

Last edited:

FromTheBench

People keep saying he injury prone but then are we selling Evans, Jones and Smalling as well ?

LVG said he'll tell players how much game time they'll get etc.. so doubt he has told anyone he needs to leave anyway except the real obvious ones like say a Anderson etc..

I don't see Rafael leaving even if he is first choice backup in a season. Don't get why we would force him out. It would be just stupid.

Litch

Absolute rubbish. He's not without his faults but he's had some special moments in a utd shirt. It's the amount of injuries is my concern. The impulsive and rash challenges have improved 'year on year'.

footballgirl07

How quickly people forget how important he was for us 2 seasons ago. We know he didn't have the best season last year (who did?!) and he has his injuries issues, but still only 24 and has lots of ability. Whoever talked about Evra in this thread, you can't compare the two. Evra went through all his time here without picking up a major injury or any injury at all until last season. Rafael would thrive in a WB position and not sure how he can be judged on just 45mins of preseason.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We sell our only natural RB but Kagawa stays? Nonsense.

footballgirl07

Having just read the article, I agree. Sounds like they named a group of players we knew were going anyway (Ando, Nani, Felllaini etc) and threw in Rafael to make people read it.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I honestly don't think he's going anywhere. 3 at the back or not I can't see us moving on our only RB. He is such a frustrating player though, he needs to stay fit.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Having just read the article, I agree. Sounds like they named a group of players we knew were going anyway (Ando, Nani, Felllaini etc) and threw in Rafael to make people read it.
I highly doubt that. Rafael simply isn't very highly rated by most non United fans. They still remember the rash and positionally unaware full back from about 5 years ago. We all know that he's turned it around big time since then but last season really didn't help him change the opinions of others. He, like everyone else, was fecking shit last season.

If we really are getting rid of him we should try to sign Coleman. Can play both RB and RWB easily.

Ferguson

I'm willing to believe that Rafael was told he would be behind Valencia and Young or Cuadrado? in the near term.

However in the long term when healthy I think Rafael could be invaluable in a 4-3-3 and a younger and more natural alternative to Valencia or Young in the 3-5-2

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Rafael isn't perfect, but he has a large number of positives going for him:

- He's still young, especially for a defender.
- When he's fit, he can run up and down all game.
- He's extremely passionate. It's a soft skill that is overlooked a lot.
- He's very good going forward - you only need to see the difference in the last few seasons when we had Smalling/Jones at RB over him.

Yes, he has negatives too. Primarily:

- Can be rash at times.
- Has to date a poor injury record.

However the former develops over time, and you'd back Van Gaal to coach him to become a more reliable player on the defensive front. And injuries, you never know. He could grow out of them or he may not, but alone it isn't a good reason to sell a player until its very clearly damaged his career like it has Anderson. He still has time on his side, does Rafael.

Interestingly, it's such a nonsense rumour because in reality, Rafael's strengths and weaknesses are more suited to a 3-5-2 than a 4-3-3, so if we are going with wing backs it actually suits Rafael more.

Not to mention, if we sell Rafael, we literally don't have a right back.

saivet

Who do you think would sign him should we sell him? PSG? Who even plays RB for them?

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Who do you think would sign him should we sell him? PSG? Who even plays RB for them?
Van der wiel and he had an injury prone season last year if I am not wrong. Btw what are the more reliable sources(Ian Ladyman, Mitten, Ogden etc) take on this? Is it only Daily Mail reporting this? Should be taken with a pinch of salt.

EDIT: DWelbz19 is right, completely forgot about Aurier going there on loan

RuudTom83

He brings so much fight and spirit to the pitch, I genuinely believe United are more likely to win when he plays.

I'd hate to lose him.

I kinda hope a season with shared duties and lets starts will allow his body to finally get over the injuries.

arthurka

So we are buying Hummels,Vidal,Di Maria and now LVG is going to add a RB to that list:houllier:...
A hungry, talented young player who is our only registered RB! This holds no water what so ever..

Eriku

Should redcafe's official twitter be tweeting smelly news like this?.. Seems odd.
It's clear enough on the fact that it's the Daily Mail reporting it. No issue as far as I'm concerned.

Absolutely shocked if there's any truth to Rafael being told to pack it up, though. We're not overstaffed on the right (wing) back, and Rafael's shown more than enough for us to be patient with him. If nothing else, he'd be good to have around for squad depth.

Can't believe there's so many people agreeing with this notion on here!

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Wouldn't want him to be sold, but we definitely need a right back - if not this summer (Cuadrado?), then next one.
We're talking about 24yr old footballer, who managed to stay fit for ONE season, where he played 40 games overall, which isn't something astonishing.
In other seasons he didn't managed to exceed 30 games overall and never played more than 20 league games (except that one season from above).
Evra played ~50 games a season for a bloody while, that's what you'd expect from a top defender you can rely on.
He's a likeable chap, but come on - if you don't stay fit, you won't make it at this level.
Yep, I think RB position should be dealt with next summer. We can’t rely on Rafael, hopefully this won’t be that much of a problem in 3-5-2, but when we go back to 4 at the back, then a proper right-back will be required (unless he can somehow sort out his fitness issues).
Selling him at this moment makes no sense whatsoever, considering the shape of our squad, but also how much money would we get for him now.
I highly doubt that. Rafael simply isn't very highly rated by most non United fans. They still remember the rash and positionally unaware full back from about 5 years ago. We all know that he's turned it around big time since then but last season really didn't help him change the opinions of others. He, like everyone else, was fecking shit last season.
If we really are getting rid of him we should try to sign Coleman. Can play both RB and RWB easily.
Yeah, I suppose he is little overrated among the united fans, and underrated by others. I rate him highly and as I stated many times, he’s the most suited player to wingback role (in our squad). I can’t wait to see him and Shaw on the flanks.
He won’t be sold (this summer).

Dr Baltar

He's probably not going to play regularly in the 3-5-2 but if we did change back to 4-3-3 he'd be perfect. Maybe LVG told him he won't be playing that much this season & gave Rafael the option.

If we were to sell him the only way i'd be happy about it is if we had a buy back option. I can't imagine we'd get a huge amount for him anyway so i'd rather sell him for a bit less & make sure we can get him back if we want.

Mersault

There are quite a few reasons for this story seeming absurd. First and foremost is the fact that if he goes, we've got no actual first team right back.

He'd have to be a disruptive influence in the dressing room, a terrible player or likely to fetch a huge transfer fee for this story to have legs. None of which holds true.

Yawn.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
It would make no sense to sell him, even leaving aside his ability or injury record, we wouldn't get anything like decent value from selling him (we never do) and bringing in a replacement - which we'd surely have to do given we'd have four senior defenders left (and one of them is 19) - would cost much more in terms of transfer fees and likely wages as well.

Despite the poor source, I would worry that there might be something in this - bad news seems to have a habit of being true where we're concerned.

justboy68

Don't panic over a daily heil article. They've just lumped him in with the others because they know nothing about football and he speaks Portuguese so he must be like those other 'flops' Nani and Anderson. Which is actually unfair on Nani too as he had a couple of good years for us, but now it's time to go.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Wouldn't make sense to sell Rafael due to his injuries considering we tried to get Vermaelen who is a known crock...

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I just saw "Made in Brazil" -- the journey of the twins from kids to United. Heart-warming. Great family, good kids.

Hope we don't ship him out.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Daily Mail. Great source. Because that gossip shitpiece would be the first to know, obviously. I can see some of those names leaving, but what sense does it make to sell our only right back? Might want to keep an actual right back on board incase this back 3 thing doesn't work out, or for games where a back 4 is the way to go. I think Rafa would prosper as a wing back if he can stay fit.

Acole9

Outstanding
He's a good player but he's always bloody injured. I'll be sorry to see him leave though if true.

Status
Not open for further replies.