Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

mic.m

likes to be nude when popping out baked brownies
If reports are true that he's among the castoffs then I'll be disappointed. He's one of my favourite players. He's generally played well when he's had a run of games and isn't injured. He was one of our best 3 players in 2012-13 with Carrick and RVP. I don't see any harm in keeping him. He's not a waste of spce like Anderson or Nani.

Brightonian

He won't be sold. Even if it made any sense at all, Van Gaal has been extremely consistent (and outspokenly so) about getting a good look at every player before offloading. He barely even got a glance at Rafa (who looked good, in that brief window) before he picked up a knock. No way LVG would contemplate selling him without more assessment. Especially when he has plenty of confirmedly shit/unnecessary players to offload first.

Bloxy

Why does it always rain on me?
He won't be sold. Even if it made any sense at all, Van Gaal has been extremely consistent (and outspokenly so) about getting a good look at every player before offloading. He barely even got a glance at Rafa (who looked good, in that brief window) before he picked up a knock. No way LVG would contemplate selling him without more assessment. Especially when he has plenty of confirmedly shit/unnecessary players to offload first.
I hope he get's a few more chances to impress. I think the new system would actually suit him and for me pretty much the same as Shaw.

Loublaze

ATLien
Rafael reminds me of Evans. They are both good when they are fully fit but they hardly ever are long enough. We won't miss him if we sell and replace him with a more dependable player. At this point I hope Varela takes his chance and cements a place in the first team this season. I see him being a starter in seasons to come if he fulfills his promise.

Dazzmondo

Rafael reminds me of Evans. They are both good when they are fully fit but they hardly ever are long enough. We won't miss him if we sell and replace him with a more dependable player. At this point I hope Varela takes his chance and cements a place in the first team this season. I see him being a starter in seasons to come if he fulfills his promise.
I'd seriously doubt it tbh. Nothing I've seen of Varela has convinced me that he'll ever be good enough to play for us.

Loublaze

ATLien
I'd seriously doubt it tbh. Nothing I've seen of Varela has convinced me that he'll ever be good enough to play for us.
I find him to be a better natural defender than the twins. He's not as rash as Rafael. His anticipation and awareness is better, he also times his runs better and moves the ball forward more effectively. I hope he gets a chance, thats all some players need, some actual competitive games for the first team. I always rated Blackett but most people on here don't think he's anything special, that Keane and Thorpe are better prospects. Blackett was our best defender in preseason. It was only preseason but against the level of competition we had the kid made a strong case for himself to be considered as backup in the first team stakes. I have the same hopes for Varela.

Walters_19_MuFc

So what will happen if/when we convert back to four at the back? Surely Van Gaal isn't expecting Young, Valencia or possibly Cuardado (if we sign him) to play right.

Gopher Brown

Although there are rumours of him leaving, I'm not sure I believe them,. I was worried last night when Phil a Jones was introduced as 'Number 2, Phil Jones' twice on the PA and on the scoreboards, but he was wearing number 4 so it was just a ridiculous error.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Far too injury prome. We need a RB but this is going relatively unnoticed simply cuz of the desperation of other areas.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Get back Rafa. We will see the difference and drive he gives us when he returns.

RedOldBoy

He's a very talented young lad, although he hasn't improved in the last couple of years but he is our best option for RB. However he is too injury-prone and it seems LVG doesn't like that. He may be sold next summer.

::sonny::

All talks about Varela but this one never played for the first team, even in a friendly.

JSMHE

Far too injury prome. We need a RB but this is going relatively unnoticed simply cuz of the desperation of other areas.
To be honest if we end up signing centre back then I can see Jones or Keane will play as a right back instead.
And if LVG still insist with 3 in the back then I can see Young or Valencia will spend his time as a wing back.

Definitely need a right back but I just can't see it happen this summer.

footballgirl07

He's a very talented young lad, although he hasn't improved in the last couple of years but he is our best option for RB. However he is too injury-prone and it seems LVG doesn't like that. He may be sold next summer.
BIB, he was one of our best players (behind RVP & Carrick) in the season before last?

RedOldBoy

BIB, he was one of our best players (behind RVP & Carrick) in the season before last?
Which highlights how pathetic our team has been tbh. You said it yourself that Carrick was one of our best players. Carrick wouldn't even make the bench in Europe's elite (Bayern, Real Madrid, Barcelona etc). It wasn't just Rafael two seasons ago, it was SAF's miracles and still Rafael hadn't improved since 2011 and those injuries are destroying his career. Comes a time when you have to look forward and assess the potential of your players. Personally I like Rafael but how many games in a row does he manage to play?

Keeping players that spend most of the season in the treatment room is just a waste of time and money. Look at Hargreaves, and although I don't want to admit it, Fletcher is not the same player as well.

footballgirl07

Which highlights how pathetic our team has been tbh. You said it yourself that Carrick was one of our best players. Carrick wouldn't even make the bench in Europe's elite (Bayern, Real Madrid, Barcelona etc). It wasn't just Rafael two seasons ago, it was SAF's miracles and still Rafael hadn't improved since 2011 and those injuries are destroying his career. Comes a time when you have to look forward and assess the potential of your players. Personally I like Rafael but how many games in a row does he manage to play?

Keeping players that spend most of the season in the treatment room is just a waste of time and money. Look at Hargreaves, and although I don't want to admit it, Fletcher is not the same player as well.
Disagree with your post. In the 2012/13 season, Rvp, Carrick and rafael were our 3 best players then. Rafael had his best season by quite a way and improved dramatically that season. He carried us in some games when the others didn't turn up (like pool away). Last season everyone was bad barring De Gea. So judging on that, yeah Carrick wouldn't be near Europes elite. None of our outfield players would be. But that season he was good and yes, I do agree we had a poor team that season but that shouldn't detract that Rafael clearly improved that season whilst others didn't.

Again, have to disagree. Rafael showed that less injuries and given a run in the team how much he improved. He still has flaws, injuries being the big one. You can't compare Hargreaves to Rafael. We signed him with a dodgy knee and only got one 'decent' season out of him. Rafael has given us a lot more than that when he plays. Fletch is different again. His was illness and he is 29 now. Rafael is still only 24 and still has time on his side.

Just found a HLs vid from 2012/13

RuudTom83

hehe i couldn't understand a word he said, but his reaction at the end was great :devil:

hope to see him in the starting eleven on sunday

ghagua

Heard on TV that he got injured (again) in the warm up before the Swansea game, that's the reason why Lingard was playing as a starter.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Yeh, hopefully we see him back against Sunderland, gives us so much more balance and drive.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Van Gaal has said Rafael is fit for the Swansea match.....then rumours in midweek he's again injured.........probably true because he isn't in the matchday squad and hasn't travelled to Sunderland

Some bodies aren't made for football

Last edited:

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Rafael is one who probably doesn't benefit from the old "clean slate" with the new boss. As far as LVG is concerned he is an injury prone RB who wasn't good enough to make a fairly poor Brazil WC squad. Unless he is pulling up trees in training it's easy to see why Valencia may be favoured, and why we are wanting to sign Di Maria (who I believe LVG will also want to utilise as a WB regularly, if not always)

footballgirl07

EDIT: For some reason it isn't shown what he wrote but this is what he put:
Can't not wait to be on the pitch and enjoy a football. #veryclosed #training #love

Shimo

Can't wait to see him on the pitch again but, I do have to wonder why players like Rafael and others that get all these muscle injuries don't try yoga like Giggs did. I really think he'd be one of the best RB around if he'd stay clear of injuries. He's the one player that you can count to give a damn in driving us forward regardless of the rest of the teams malaise.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
We need this guy and Shaw back. In the formation we have now the wing backs are so important and I think him, Shaw and Di Maria will improve our squad so much.

Devil may care

Rafael and Shaw back after the International break if we are lucky, that might add a bit of penetration from the wide areas.

REJE

Bunch of cnuts, we have the worst fans in the world. Fickle glory hunting muppets.

kotha

Can't wait to see him back on the pitch. Love his enthusiasm!! With Cleverley,Ando leaving, I guess he ll a scapegoat from now on. Anyway I think he ll be great with the wingback role.. Him and Shaw on either side will hopefully help us opening up the field a bit.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
He needs to get on the pitch and show some fans exactly how good he can be. He is a top top player when he has a run of games, he is the perfect player for his attacking and defending ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.