Rafael

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
3 or 4 years? It'll be either this year or next year max. This kid is the real deal and no Madrid that doesn't mean we want to sell him.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Watching the game one of the things that i like about him is that he stayed wide. If you watch it, Evra was giving me a heart attack because half the time he wanted to be in a central position to clear it. That might have been the plan but it meant someone else pulling out to block the cross. I think alot of people would have pointed that out if it had of been Rafael. There was often a lot of space down Evras side.

However Evras a top player and we're fortunate to say they're both United players. Rafael is a given providing he steers clear from injury and keeps his head. He's improving all the time and I think when he has the balance then he will be the best. He had a great run in one of the halfs running right at their backline and you feel there's more to come

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Yeah, i'll admit he had a great game. Had me worrieed a few times in the first half with very rash tackles in dangerous positions, but TBF he pulled the tackles off. gave the ball away, but not too often. Overall a great performance.

Needs about another 30 of these before he deserves the kind of praise some on here are giving him though.

Striker10

Yeah, i'll admit he had a great game. Had me worrieed a few times in the first half with very rash tackles in dangerous positions, but TBF he pulled the tackles off. gave the ball away, but not too often. Overall a great performance.

Needs about another 30 of these before he deserves the kind of praise some on here are giving him though.
Even if he makes a mistake, do you think it will break him? The munich mistake was pretty big, he said that himself but his responce has been first class. Someone like Evans needs to look at Rafael - I could understand reservations about Evans. When you have ability and when you have mental strength...it's basically yours to throw away

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
True enough, but comeon now. Just on the last page he's been balled the new cafu, better than evra, the best rightback in the country and the best full back in the country.

Let the lad play a full season at least before you all go into hyperdrive.

jgraham

Company man, hitched.
punching cats for eggs at a dustbin near you
During the game today i couldn't help but feel we missed Rafael in both attack and defence. He's made himself a key figure in the team for me and to do that from full back suggests he is a special talent.

Not many winners today in terms of players and their performance levels but Rafaels position in the first team has been cemented with him not even having played.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Agree entirely. I commented in the match thread at one point Nev went forward in an attack and then took probably a full minute to stroll back, Rafael gets up and down that right had side brilliantly and this his positioning is matching his pace, he's become a much more complete full back and we missed him a lot today.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He's played a lot of football recently. Hopefully he was just rested today.

8thWonder

Next league game is an oppurtunity for him to banish a lot of the neutrals talk of him being suspect defensively. I don't think its an overstatement to say that if he handles Bale well at the lane then the whole world will sit up and take notice of how good this guy is. Thing is, he can as well.

For him personally as well will give him extra stock for the national side for doing something the current first choice right back couldn't. Could be his defining moment/game post ribery and bayern

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
You kidding me? He's already handled Bale and Nasri already this season, and no-one sat up and taken notice of him. He's been the best young player in the league, yet players like Wilshere will probably get more plaudits than him. Is he the best right back in the league already?

Striker10

I think it's unfair of people to question him because he's shown over a long period he's good enough to be first choice. People seem to be waiting for a mistake to say I told you so. It's rubbish. Baring the munich game, he's been a class act and any mistake he's made is matched by every other player on the pitch experienced or not.

People might say he jumps in, thats not always a bad thing but I think he's proven thus far to be a clean tackler. Attacking wise, he's got everything to be our best outlet when he gets the right balance and that was evident from day one. It has been for quite a while. However, it's better he's under the radar and gets less attention then someone like Bale. That suits us fine.

Scholesgoals

honestly,

i lost count of the times he was like some kind of cheating mop rampage last night. How many times did the little bugger come marauding through the middle? How many times did he skin his man with cruyffs, even juggling it over their head.

this guy is something else. We've got some really, really talented players coming through guys...

Ekeke

Next league game is an oppurtunity for him to banish a lot of the neutrals talk of him being suspect defensively. I don't think its an overstatement to say that if he handles Bale well at the lane then the whole world will sit up and take notice of how good this guy is. Thing is, he can as well.

For him personally as well will give him extra stock for the national side for doing something the current first choice right back couldn't. Could be his defining moment/game post ribery and bayern
Yes we do know he can, considering he didnt give Bale a sniff when they played a few months ago...

8thWonder

You kidding me? He's already handled Bale and Nasri already this season, and no-one sat up and taken notice of him. He's been the best young player in the league, yet players like Wilshere will probably get more plaudits than him. Is he the best right back in the league already?
The difference is simple, this is at spurs and everyone in the media will be tipping spurs to beat us and the hype for bale will be overwhelming.

Nasri they had a ready made excuse, he's not a winger. Bale at old trafford, they had an excuse as spurs never beat us at home anyway and he made a couple of good runs still. All eyes will be watching and they expect Bale to win its as simple as that. There will be a feeling that this is spurs' time.

Of course Wilshere gets more plaudits, a) he's more attacking and b) he's english. Gibbs gets more praise than him for literally half as much too.

I'm always right

I think it's unfair of people to question him because he's shown over a long period he's good enough to be first choice. People seem to be waiting for a mistake to say I told you so. It's rubbish. Baring the munich game, he's been a class act and any mistake he's made is matched by every other player on the pitch experienced or not.

People might say he jumps in, thats not always a bad thing but I think he's proven thus far to be a clean tackler. Attacking wise, he's got everything to be our best outlet when he gets the right balance and that was evident from day one. It has been for quite a while. However, it's better he's under the radar and gets less attention then someone like Bale. That suits us fine.
To be fair him and Nani were the best players on the park vs. Munich.

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
Can we finally now put to bed the myth about his brother being better? I think so.
Just quietly I think the fact that Fabio (who when the two of them arrived was generally pubically acknowledged as the best) hasn't had as many chances just yet - Rafael getting quite a few games gave him a chance to get any potential monkey off his back right away.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
I hope Fabio bides his time to get his chance, imagine them both in full form. Thats the flanks covered for years.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Can we finally now put to bed the myth about his brother being better? I think so.
Do we need to? The only thing that's been holding Fabio back is niggly injuries so far, it might sound almost impossible for him to be better than Rafael but we all thought it would take the twins a couple of years or so at the club before they'd even made a notable impact, yet by the end of the Peterborough game everyone knew we'd seen something a bit special.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I hope Fabio bides his time to get his chance, imagine them both in full form. Thats the flanks covered for years.
Anf if Evans ever regains form/confidence that is our entire back 4 covered for many years

Its clear Fabio is unfortunate, with Evra as his competition and all the injuries. He needs games but I do not see how that can happen.

I think a loan move would be ideal for the 2nd half of the season

misterredmist

AGREED

I think that sums Rafael up nicely , I have faith in both he and Fabio. Rafael
has had some excellent games for us this season , he is potent in attack, he gets his tackles in on aggressors generally before they reach are penalty area - unlike Gary Neville who backs off until they're in our box.

Yes, he's made some rash decisions and tackles , but how's the guy supposed to learn without live action on the pitch !

Rafael = HIT ! and he and Fab will get even better

Decotron

Do we need to? The only thing that's been holding Fabio back is niggly injuries so far, it might sound almost impossible for him to be better than Rafael but we all thought it would take the twins a couple of years or so at the club before they'd even made a notable impact, yet by the end of the Peterborough game everyone knew we'd seen something a bit special.
Fabio was also top scorer for the reserves for a while about year ago, got 8 or 9 goals I recall.

He has different attacking attributes than his bro. Lets hope the defensive side of both of their games continue to develop

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
honestly,

i lost count of the times he was like some kind of cheating mop rampage last night. How many times did the little bugger come marauding through the middle? How many times did he skin his man with cruyffs, even juggling it over their head.

this guy is something else. We've got some really, really talented players coming through guys...
Absolutely. :lol:

He is, in every sense of the term, fecking amazing. That was the best I've seen him play so far I think. I just find it more and more mental how we randomly picked up this guy for barely anything, along with his twin brother, after they hadn't even played for the Fluminense first team. One of the most gifted youngsters on the planet, without a doubt.

Like you say, it's these runs through the middle that just create so many problems for the opposition, and that chip over their left wingers head was hilarious. That was a performance to rival some of Evra's in the first half of last season.

gbgary

much better this season than last. he's taking a beating and dishing it out too. he's turning into a tough guy...and he's showing a bit of a temper too. the long-term right back problem has been solved.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Its unbelievable how little media attention he's received for his performances this season. The likes of Gray and Lawrenson still on occasions like to highlight him as a weak link, and the papers will rarely give him a rating more than 6 in a game. If he was english there'd be no end of hype. I suppose the benefit of this is he can get on with his game with minimum fuss.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Amazing player. I just run out of words to describe him. For a defender to be this good so young is very very rare. Hope we always hold on to him. Hope his brother also gets chances to show us what he's made of.