Rafael

kietotheworld

He's also put in a good amount of fantastic performances, improved several aspects of his game, and cemented himself as not only first choice right back for Manchester United, but also as one of the best in the league.
I wouldn't argue with that, it doesn't detract from what I said though.

togg

I'm I'm dam happy we have him. His aggression and play is just what we need. I mean...sure he got sent off...how many times has scholsey been sent off. We need this passion, this aggression and this dedication to fighting for every dam ball there is. Yeah..he will make mistakes..but reckon he is going to turn into a huge united hero.....by the way...what has happened to his brother? My ignorance...just want to know...

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
It was definitely harsh. He probably could have avoided giving Dean the chance to get his card out, mind you. There was no need to get that tight to Ekotto. Yong and lernin' though.
It wasn't even a tackle. He was just running back and accidentally clipped him. In the words of Harry 'It was like Mary Decker and Zola Budd at the Olympics'.

RapidRed

Hes really fecking amazing. Love his energy and tenacity. His tacking has improved greatly and these days he does not slide in recklessly like he did in his early days. He still has the appetite for the full blooded challenge, hes just learned to use it wisely.

And offensively, he was one of our best players today. I'd say he skinned Bale more times than the other way. He dealt reasonably well with Bale too, Bale did go outside with his pace a couple of times to put in crosses, but Rafael didn't really get done by him.

very exciting player, and yes, Dean's a cnut for sending him off.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
neither tackle was worthy of a yellow imo.

the first one was a 50-50 with each player going for the ball and rafael even got the ball first and it was a single footed challenge without any intent to harm the other player so why a yellow ?....the less said about the second the better.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
i mentioned in the dick deans thread you can't appeal yellow cards 99% sure its only reds that can be appealed.. hope to be corrected tho :devil:
Thanks KOV, in that case can we ask for Dean to be suspended too?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Just read something in the papers about him maybe facing additional punishment for the stick he gave Dean after getting the red card. That really would be a massive pain in the arse.
Tyler mentioned that possibility during the commentary. Unfortunately, knowing the FA, it's fairly likely.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
This guy's gonna be big. He's only 20 but already on 60-odd appearances. Credit to Fergie for having faith in him even way before he actually arrive at the club. Might be one of his all time great signings when he is done with us.

kietotheworld

The point I was making is that the good has far outweighed the bad. He is an absolute gem.
Yup, one day he'll probably be a very good right back for us, I'm not advocating selling him or anything, I'd just rather we used Brown or O'Shea in big games in the mean time.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Feel his reputation went before him yesterday.

First booking was harsh I thought and plenty of similar ones went unpunished, as soon as he got it I had a feeling he wouldnt finish the game.

The second yellow was a joke.

misterredmist

Shame Rafael got the red card - he was our main attacking threat....

I am sure he'll cut the kamekase tackles out eventually

Dion

He's got his own hate thread on bluemoon, I'd say he's made it.

Diablodave

Just read something in the papers about him maybe facing additional punishment for the stick he gave Dean after getting the red card. That really would be a massive pain in the arse.
Yes Tyler mentioned it and Andy gray said something on the lines of (not 100% accurate).."It would be typical of them to do that...even though he has every right to feel aggrieved, it would be shameful of them to punish him further."

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Yup, one day he'll probably be a very good right back for us, I'm not advocating selling him or anything, I'd just rather we used Brown or O'Shea in big games in the mean time.
He already is - he's one of the best in the Premiership.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
on current form, he's already better than O'Shea or Brown, who were out for a long time. He might made a mistake, nevertheless, he's already our best right back and can only get better. In no way could have O'Shea or Brown coped better with Bale

Shimo

To me he would have been MoTM yesterday if it wasn't for Dean. I thought he did very well on Bale and going forward was absolutely superb. Just needs a little more composure when going forward.

I have to admit I love the little head rubbing thing he does when he goes forward and he doesn't get his shot right or a pass right. Does that make me a little bit queer, sure but, I'll take that on for my love of young Rafael ;)

Oldham

The sending off was a joke. An establised player like Rooney, Vidic or Scholes would never been off...

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Why shouldn't he lose it? I hate this idea that passion should be stamped out of football.
You didn't understand me I think.I didn't mean that the passion has got to disappear from football but it has to be controlled.
As hard done as he must have felt at that moment, a pro footballer should not stand up to a referee the way he did and contest to his decision.It's not what I describe as passion, it's foolishness.There is a fine line between the 2.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
And rightly so tbh, it was Mike Dean and all but there is no way he should lose it the way he did it.
I agree actually. As much as i hope he gets away with it you cant have players screaming in the face of a referee like that when a decision goes against them. I think he did probably overstep the mark in his reaction.

He's fast becoming my favourite player, i love his passion and the energy in his play, but he probably does need to calm down slightly or referees are gonna have it in for him.

Oldham

They definately would have been!
The first tackle he only took the ball, a bit rough but still didn't catch the player, the second one was accident and not dangerous or malicious.

IMO a second yellow card must be very obvious...No way an established player would have been off...

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
You didn't understand me I think.I didn't mean that the passion has got to disappear from football but it has to be controlled.
As hard done as he must have felt at that moment, a pro footballer should not stand up to a referee the way he did and contest to his decision.It's not what I describe as passion, it's foolishness.There is a fine line between the 2.
The folly of youth. Easy to forget he's only a kid.

fergieisold

It's foolish only because of the possible consequences, such as an extended ban. I just don't see how passion can be controlled when players are so pumped up.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I haven't read all the reaction since it happened but my opinion is that it was a very soft red. He made no challenge and 9 times out of 10 no card is given in that instance.

I don't think we can complain too much though. The first tackle he was booked for could have easily been a red, let's face it we've seen that tackle punished with a red a number of times this season.

Too add too that, once on a yellow he then brandished an imaginary card at the referee which could (and should) have earnt him a second yellow.

So whilst the actual sending off was extremely harsh I think you could say he was fortunate to have lasted that long. Fergie should have taken him off imo.

Baby Faced Assassin

Pastor of Muppets
Rafael charged

Monday, 17 January, 2011

Manchester United defender charged with improper conduct.
Manchester United defender Rafael Da Silva has today (Monday) been charged by The FA with Improper Conduct.

The charge relates to the player’s conduct towards match official Mike Dean following his dismissal in Manchester United’s fixture at Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday 16 January.

The player has until 6pm on 18 January to respond to the charge.

Source: TheFA.com - Rafael charged