Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peridigm

"They worked SMARTER."

This is key; any team can run. You need to have a plan, shape, purpose and intelligence to know the majority of the time how best to utilise your fitness.
I was pleasantly impressed and long may it continue.
It’s helps to press as a team as well. Does no good for the forwards to press while the midfielders hide or pass back to defense or keeper only to have the keeper boot it up field to the other team.

Marcus

"They worked SMARTER."

This is key; any team can run. You need to have a plan, shape, purpose and intelligence to know the majority of the time how best to utilise your fitness.
I was pleasantly impressed and long may it continue.
I agree. Ole's plan was this - we have better quality players than other teams, if we can work harder than other teams, we will win. I think that was a bit too naive if he actually implemented that strategy and was not just speaking in generalities for interviews.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Slightly trivial but does anyone know how to pronounce his name correctly? I've heard that you should pronounce the g and the n, so Rang nick said as it's spelt. I think in German you say Rangnick too. Then other's like Goldbridge are calling him Ranyick?
Rang nick is correct

lex talionis

Ralf will do more for our youth players in 6 months than Ole in 3 years
This is an important bit of speculation I agree with. For a player who made his name as a super sub, Ole was diabolical when it came to in-game management. But worse than that was that he did virtually nothing to develop our youth players.

Greck

This is an important bit of speculation I agree with. For a player who made his name as a super sub, Ole was diabolical when it came to in-game management. But worse than that was that he did virtually nothing to develop our youth players.
Ole was so reliant on the first xi he couldn't rotate without significantly jeopardizing the result. People afforded him the rationale that we had no quality outside our first 11, which is why it was important to back him in the summer to show his overreliance was less about quality and more about incompetence. He didn't even know how to fit a number of his own signings into his starting xi.

Last edited:

Jackal981

Ole was so reliant on the first xi he couldn't rotate without significantly jeopardizing the result. People afforded him the rationale that we had no quality outside our first 11, which is why it was important to back him in the summer to show his overreliance was less about quality and more about incompetence. He didn't even know how to fit a number of his own signings into his starting xi.
Ole is a definition of chequebook manager. A crap one that is. His only tactic is to have a better player in every single position than opponent and work harder. I think the organization and pressing in RR first game truly exposes how bad Ole's coaching in 3 years. We always looked like sunday league players who played together for the first time under Ole. Also because he depended on playing better players than opponent he cant rotate with youngsters and bench players which is why he fielded the same xi all the time until they got burnt out or injured

Reactions: Cheimoon

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
I'm doubting people's commitment to Sparkle Motion
Rang nick is correct
Asked this same question last week and someone said it’s just like it’s spelled.
Thanks guys.

I'm sick of hearing Goldbridge and others say Ranyick or Ragnick. It's not as bad as that pundit who used to pronounce Ole's surname 'Solskeeyaara' to try and be cool and hip years ago.

I think I need to not sweat the small stuff so much :)

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Thanks guys.

I'm sick of hearing Goldbridge and others say Ranyick or Ragnick. It's not as bad as that pundit who used to pronounce Ole's surname 'Solskeeyaara' to try and be cool and hip years ago.

Funnily, it's actually the kj in Solskjaer that's pronounced like English y. If they try to be hip, at least they should get it right. You can just find this on Wikipedia!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:No-Ole_Gunnar_Solskjær.ogg

passtheball

The cup competition we went out in?
Yeah, it's all one player's fault that we went out. Great football knowledge there.

So now we have managers on the caf that are better than Rangnick?

Saying Donny needs to start instead of McT, just shows the lack of football knowledge in here.
Nobody claimed to be better than RR. I am quite calm with him at the helm. And confident that he will either improve McT or bench him - because the current version of McT is not good enough. Watch the game against CP again; McT was a liability, losing the ball with poor passing and giving multiple freekicks away because he likes to tackle from behind and is shit at it.

The United

More - usually if a team is tackling more, winning back possession in the opponent’s half more and generally pressuring more it’s because it’s covering more ground. Klopp even said it early on in his Liverpool days, he specifically wanted the number of kms covered to go up.
I don't say we should not run more.

I am just thinking that it was different due to the fact that we camped in their box more and played in a smaller area which might have effected our stats a bit.

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
I'm doubting people's commitment to Sparkle Motion
Funnily, it's actually the kj in Solskjaer that's pronounced like English y. If they try to be hip, at least they should get it right. You can just find this on Wikipedia!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:No-Ole_Gunnar_Solskjær.ogg
Thanks for the info. Yes, it was quite strange. This guy really went over the top with it too. Really extended the end. Sol ski yaaara. Same commentator would say other players names in a flat english accent then burst into a flamboyant Solskeeyaaara! then back to saying things normally.

Years ago some other twonk commentator (maybe it was the same one?) would suddenly turn Italian too and say 'Ambrosetti' and others names in a really over the top Italian accent, then instantly go back to a boring flat no accent to say the English players names. 'David Beckham gets tackled there by AMBROSETTI!! haha. sorry for losing the plot and ranting. At least they tried to say the names properly, but was so out of place and unintentionally hilarious.

Highfather_24

Thanks for the info. Yes, it was quite strange. This guy really went over the top with it too. Really extended the end. Sol ski yaaara. Same commentator would say other players names in a flat english accent then burst into a flamboyant Solskeeyaaara! then back to saying things normally.

Years ago some other twonk commentator (maybe it was the same one?) would suddenly turn Italian too and say 'Ambrosetti' and others names in a really over the top Italian accent, then instantly go back to a boring flat no accent to say the English players names. 'David Beckham gets tackled there by AMBROSETTI!! haha. sorry for losing the plot and ranting. At least they tried to say the names properly, but was so out of place and unintentionally hilarious.
I was more peeved by people pronouncing his name as "Ollie" rather than "Oley".

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

No worries this is great. I love languages and I'm now going to nominate this for the rant of the year. (It was the one category I hadn't figured out yet, and since I'm obviously biased towards the subject... :D ) Here it is:
Football & Discussion Related Awards
Most Knowledgeable Football Professor: @Gio
Best Overall Football Poster @harms
Best Football thread: How much has football changed in the last 20 years? by @sullydnl (some awesome contributions in there)
Biggest WUMminator: @Amadaeus (in the hope that it actually is wumming)
Best non-United poster: @do.ob
Most annoying non-United Football poster: [censured]
Spammie-spammer award: @Caesar2290 (anything Ten Hag)*
Transfer Muppet of the Year: @mazhar13*
Zoloft award for optimism: @Wumminator

Conversation Related Awards
CE Forum Essay writer of the Year: @oneniltothearsenal
CE Forum Tyrant of the Year: @NotThatSoph*
Best General/CE Thread: Oooh-Ahhh Vote McGrath! - McGrath VICTORY: A New Dawn OFFICIAL by @McGrathsipan
Silflay hraka, u embleer rah: [censured]

Across Forum Related
Rant of the Year: commentators pronouncing names by @Man of Steel
Funniest Post: Scousers joke by @Ivor Ballokov
Best gif/photoshop/meme: One of the many memes by @Hectic

Are you done voting?: Yes.

*Just to note that I mean all these positively.
And while I'm on the subject - please everyone submit your own nominations! No need to complete every category, just vote for the categories you can work with. The outcome will be more fun if more people participated! :) Just go here and get goin':

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/red...ad-2021-part-1-deadline-15th-december.467427/

...OK, back to Rangnick.

Red_toad

Thanks guys.

Don't watch his youtube channel, your life will improve I can vouch for it ;)

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
There was something very telling in Viera's post-match interview saying he did not know how United would play. Over time opposition coaches will work out how to play against United's system and this is when the coach's ability to tweak formations and use best-suited players for those tweaks can be judged. It's simply too early to judge Rangnick.

I really think the club made the right decision in appointing him on an interim basis and then keeping him if successful or moving him upstairs on an advisory role. His experience and knowledge of the game will be invaluable over the years.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I'm also somewhat concerned about how narrow United played on Sunday. There was very little width and whatever there was came from the full-backs. In all the years I have watched football and heard pundits and coaches was to use width to open up tight defences. The system used on Sunday was exactly the opposite. Although in control of the game I wonder this is the reason we hardly created any decent chances throughout the game?

Trex

I'm also somewhat concerned about how narrow United played on Sunday. There was very little width and whatever there was came from the full-backs. In all the years I have watched football and heard pundits and coaches was to use width to open up tight defences. The system used on Sunday was exactly the opposite. Although in control of the game I wonder this is the reason we hardly created any decent chances throughout the game?
The formation may differ but it isn't really that different from how Liverpool play, their full backs become their primary source of creativity when opponent sit deep, plus another option is utilizing quick combination from their attacking trio or in our case quartets( the use of third man runs), so unless our full backs can't keep it up I wouldn't be worried.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Slightly trivial but does anyone know how to pronounce his name correctly? I've heard that you should pronounce the g and the n, so Rang nick said as it's spelt. I think in German you say Rangnick too. Then other's like Goldbridge are calling him Ranyick?
forvo.com is a very good site to checkup pronounciations.
here's rangnick's pronounciation: https://de.forvo.com/word/ralf_rangnick/

Varun

Staff
The width will come primarily from the FBs who'll be very attacking I reckon. Likes of Sancho will invariably move both in and wide but yeah, primarily the FBs

Blood Mage

It's not a problem if you have good attacking wing-backs. Hopefully Ralf can coach ours to be better going forward (Dalot is showing serious promise right now it's just a shame he's not quicker).

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
The 4222 is optimised for quick counter attacking, not really for breaking down low blocks. However it should be fine when the FBs move forward to provide width, and especially Sancho can comfortably move wide, too, and support on a wing - the beauty of the double 10 is, that you can have one playmaker roaming through space, while you still have someone in that crucial 10 space.

Telsim

My dream scenario would be: Rangnick as interim until summer. Then moves to position in the club. We appoint Ten Hag. Ten Hag, Rangnick and Murtrough are given carte blanche to fire, hire and restructure the club and squad as they see fit. Get rid of McKenna and Phelan.

romufc

Donny has shown more in the few games he has played than McT has for the entire season (in the same position). Obviously he has deserved his chance. Obviously Ole and Carrick would both persist with Scott over Donny... they were both part of the same coaching setup. And we know that Ole was never a hands on coach. It's too early to say that Rangnick would prefer DVB or McTominay more since he's been in charge for a single game. We'll have to wait and see. But nothing will convince me that McTominay deserve to start over DVB until I see with my own eyes that DVB isn't playing any better. Also, another Fred in McTominay's position is the last thing we need. We need a holding midfielder that can dictate the tempo and control the game. I don't think Donny is precisely that, but he'd surely be a massive upgrade over McTominay in that department
Which game has Donny played in the holding role?

The thing is, I get when fans dont want McTominay, I dont want him to be a starter, we need an upgrade but to say Donny will be better?

There is 0 evidence of Donny being better in that position.

RUCK4444

The thing is, I get when fans dont want McTominay, I dont want him to be a starter, we need an upgrade but to say Donny will be better?

On the bolded, I've said that for ages and get pelters for it purely because people want to see Donny regardless of any reasons why he might not be featuring ahead of the likes of Scott.

If he doesn't improve the glaring issues we all know we've had at the base of midfield in the pivot he simply won't be getting many minutes there. I said this the minute we bought him, he was bought for rotation with Bruno because we bought him immediately after having ran Bruno physically into the ground playing every second of every game.

In the 4-2-2-2 we play with two attacking mids, so he will be more likely to get time on the pitch under Ralf in this system but imo what we are seeing is that Ralf agrees that VDB doesn't really improve the issues in the pivot... but lets see in the coming games if he changes his mind against 'lesser' opposition.

Baneofthegame

Still think all this analysis after he has had one home game vs Palace after one training session is a bit extreme.

romufc

On the bolded, I've said that for ages and get pelters for it purely because people want to see Donny regardless of any reasons why he might not be featuring ahead of the likes of Scott.

If he doesn't improve the glaring issues we all know we've had at the base of midfield in the pivot he simply won't be getting many minutes there. I said this the minute we bought him, he was bought for rotation with Bruno because we bought him immediately after having ran Bruno physically into the ground playing every second of every game.

In the 4-2-2-2 we play with two attacking mids, so he will be more likely to get time on the pitch under Ralf in this system but imo what we are seeing is that Ralf agrees that VDB doesn't really improve the issues in the pivot... but lets see in the coming games if he changes his mind against 'lesser' opposition.
Yep, under Ole I was calling for Donny to start in the role but a few times he did play there, we were open and it was a quick realisation that he can't play that role.

We are asking a goal scoring midfielder to play as a holder?

This formation actually allows Donny to play in one of the two 10 positions over the 6, yet some fans think its tailor made for him to play the 6?

See even with lesser opposition, I don't think Donny will play there. If you listen to Rangnick, the word he uses alot is control, I just cannot see having one 6 giving us control in this formation when the full backs are flying.

We need to stop the counter and Donny is not a player who will do that, however bad Scott is on the ball, he will play until we sign someone.

Von Mistelroum

Thanks guys.

Heard Rang-nich yesterday too! That pronunciation of Solskjaer is one that always annoyed me too, along with the one who used to insist on saying Pob-vorschy.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

For United 0, for Ajax he has actually played the position.
By the way McTominay isn't a holding midfielder either

RUCK4444

Yep, under Ole I was calling for Donny to start in the role but a few times he did play there, we were open and it was a quick realisation that he can't play that role.

We are asking a goal scoring midfielder to play as a holder?

This formation actually allows Donny to play in one of the two 10 positions over the 6, yet some fans think its tailor made for him to play the 6?

See even with lesser opposition, I don't think Donny will play there. If you listen to Rangnick, the word he uses alot is control, I just cannot see having one 6 giving us control in this formation when the full backs are flying.

We need to stop the counter and Donny is not a player who will do that, however bad Scott is on the ball, he will play until we sign someone.
Yeah exactly, I only see him really playing in one of the two attacking mid spots.

I think Donny got away with playing as a CM in the Dutch league and this is what makes many think he should be starting here ahead of Scott. Which if you read that last sentence back sort of answers the issue in itself (or it should.)
Big difference, huge, between Dutch league and Premier League and who you can get away with playing at the base of midfield.

People misread this opinion as though I don't like the player, I do, I just think people are asking for something that's not practical especially when we have had so many issues in that specific area of the pitch and we are trying to gain 'control' of matches, as you pointed out.

romufc

For United 0, for Ajax he has actually played the position.
By the way McTominay isn't a holding midfielder either
If he played the holding role, I guarantee you we would have seen him there.

Ajax had holder and Frenkie De Jong.

I wont lie, I am only speaking from CL games as I dont watch the dutch league.

McTominay is a better holder than Donny though.

Status
Not open for further replies.