Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He will probably be an upgrade in the air, but I don’t think he’ll be an upgrade on the ball. That’s however based on me watching Varane for 10 years and not from % successful passes stats.
Looking at it I think we’ve all been doing Maguire a disservice too

The Red Thinker

Imo slightly worse, but he's on the same level as we have today.

There are so many aspects of ball handling, but in the stats presented here, it was focus on long balls. I don't expect him to hit precise long balls in to the penalty box like we saw Lindelof do in the last game against Leeds. When it comes to handling the ball under pressure, I am not sure what to think. Normally the press is less intense in la liga and we will see what happens, probably he will handle it fine. The same with aerials. He is good in the air but personally I do not expect him to be dominant in the air like Maguire. Maguire attacks every ball while Varane challenges less often than any of our CBs (Lindelof goes in to more aerial duels, but he loses slightly more). This might of course be because of the nature of the leagues, and he might change style when he starts to play in the PL and challenge more often because of more opportunities, and to become more physical because of the more physical league. If he can adapt to the physical game and challenge more often in the air, he will have a big impact on our defence. On the ball to build up attacks and create opportunities, probably not.
I think Varane handles press easily enough. He's come across multiple high press teams in the Champions League as well as in the Euros and WC. He deals with them easily enough. If it's long balls behind the defensive line, Lindelof is better, but there are verfiable stats to show you for switched play Varane is better than even Lindelof in switched play long balls.

Point is this. The midfielders can press higher and move with more freedom than before, knowing a speed machine like Varane is behind. Varane doesn't need to be all creative force. If he carries the ball forward like Maguire, and like he ALWAYS does for France, United will be far far better going forward.

Kiwi Man

Supports
Liverpool
A great acquisition for United, would have loved him at Liverpool alongside VVD. United fans (or anyone in the know) - I have a question. Why did Madrid sell for such a good price? Was his contract running down or unhappy?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
A great acquisition for United, would have loved him at Liverpool alongside VVD. United fans (or anyone in the know) - I have a question. Why did Madrid sell for such a good price? Was his contract running down or unhappy?
He only had a year left on his contract and had his heart set on a move to Utd apparently. Wants to play in the PL and have a new challenge.

golden_blunder

Staff
1 year contract. Told madrid he wouldn’t sign a new one. Madrid need money to save for Mbappe. Varane has a soft spot for United with us nearly getting him when he was a teen and his hero being Rio. The stars all aligned for us.

You guys got a unit to play with VVD. Konate has all the tools to succeed in the PL if you can keep him fit. I suspect someone his size will be prone to certain types of injuries so may need to devise a specific training plan but I’m sure yous will

A-man

Looking at it I think we’ve all been doing Maguire a disservice too
I have followed all those players' stats for some time it is nothing new, nor ground breaking. I don't think those stats are especially interesting either, at least not when taken out of context. Maguire wins a high percentage of his aerials. OK, fine. The interesting part that is not added here is that he is also challenging a lot, which means he doesn't only win a high %, but he also win many aerials in total (135 aerials in total, 4.0 per game, compared to Varane 2.4 and Lindelof 2.2). For me, that is the impressive part. Add to that hundreds of aerial clearances and we can statistically see what we see on the pitch: Maguire is a beast in the air, imo the best in the PL in that aspect. We also know he hits many high precision long balls down the flanks to Shaw or the winger, while Lindelof aims his long ball in to the box with higher risk of failure, but higher reward. For me, both those types of long balls add value for the team, and the different types of long balls explain why they have different %.

I think Varane handles press easily enough. He's come across multiple high press teams in the Champions League as well as in the Euros and WC. He deals with them easily enough. If it's long balls behind the defensive line, Lindelof is better, but there are verfiable stats to show you for switched play Varane is better than even Lindelof in switched play long balls.

Point is this. The midfielders can press higher and move with more freedom than before, knowing a speed machine like Varane is behind. Varane doesn't need to be all creative force. If he carries the ball forward like Maguire, and like he ALWAYS does for France, United will be far far better going forward.
He has struggled with high press some times, like every CB I guess including Harry/Victor. City one year ago is the most famous example.
Anyways, I also think he is good enough on the ball, and we will just have to wait a little to see how he works in the PL. I don't doubt that it will work out well, but I don't take anything for granted since Sanchez who was the biggest transfer disappointment ever for me.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Staff
I have followed all those players' stats for some time it is nothing new, nor ground breaking. I don't think those stats are especially interesting either, at least not when taken out of context. Maguire wins a high percentage of his aerials. OK, fine. The interesting part that is not added here is that he is also challenging a lot, which means he doesn't only win a high %, but he also win many aerials in total (135 aerials in total, 4.0 per game, compared to Varane 2.4 and Lindelof 2.2). For me, that is the impressive part. Add to that hundreds of aerial clearances and we can statistically see what we see on the pitch: Maguire is a beast in the air, imo the best in the PL in that aspect. We also know he hits many high precision long balls down the flanks to Shaw or the winger, while Lindelof aims his long ball in to the box with higher risk of failure, but higher reward. For me, both those types of long balls add value for the team, and the different types of long balls explain why they have different %.

He has struggled with high press some times, like every CB I guess including Harry/Victor. City one year ago is the most famous example.
Anyways, I also think he is good enough on the ball, and we will just have to wait a little to see how he works in the PL. I don't doubt that it will work out well, but I don't take anything for granted since Sanchez who was the biggest transfer disappointment ever for me.
I think I read that only James Tarkowski won more aerial balls than maguire in the PL. that’s impressive. I wonder if that will drop a bit now, if he feels that his new partner can also compete that way, so maguire doesn’t have to try and win every ball that comes into the box?

The Red Thinker

I think I read that only James Tarkowski won more aerial balls than maguire in the PL. that’s impressive. I wonder if that will drop a bit now, if he feels that his new partner can also compete that way, so maguire doesn’t have to try and win every ball that comes into the box?
A 100% it will drop and that will be a blessing. Harry stretching all corners in every set piece always left a gaping hole. Imagine the confidence he will feel with an aerial ball coming to Varane, and Harry just smiles... and plans the next move! Oh... it's the stuff of dreams!!

The Red Thinker

Oh stop it man. One game doesn't make the case for his ability on the ball. I can show you a similar clips of John Stones, Pique, Ramos... who've all made absolute blunders in games under a press.

I think you're being overly cautious. Trust your eyes! Sanchez's issues were in his head. He moved away from Arsenal where he was the be all and end all of an attacking team, to a defensive system. The style of play didn't suit him. He then break up with his long term girlfriend and lived alone in Manchester. He then has a lot of injuries. He declined.

Varane is NOTHING like that. He's still going great guns. I've always said the greatest of CBs always had a wingman. There are very very few who could completely dominate on their own. Thankfully, he'll have England's starting CB next to him. Should be fun!

Tony247

Best defenders are silent killers, be there at right time and right place and kill the move without doing anything adventurous...à la Maldini.

You have to see them to know them. Stats don't do any good.

criticalanalysis

Imo slightly worse, but he's on the same level as we have today.

There are so many aspects of ball handling, but in the stats presented here, it was focus on long balls. I don't expect him to hit precise long balls in to the penalty box like we saw Lindelof do in the last game against Leeds. When it comes to handling the ball under pressure, I am not sure what to think. Normally the press is less intense in la liga and we will see what happens, probably he will handle it fine. The same with aerials. He is good in the air but personally I do not expect him to be dominant in the air like Maguire. Maguire attacks every ball while Varane challenges less often than any of our CBs (Lindelof goes in to more aerial duels, but he loses slightly more). This might of course be because of the nature of the leagues, and he might change style when he starts to play in the PL and challenge more often because of more opportunities, and to become more physical because of the more physical league. If he can adapt to the physical game and challenge more often in the air, he will have a big impact on our defence. On the ball to build up attacks and create opportunities, probably not.
Those are some bold claims for a player of Varane's quality. I don't believe Lindelof is much of a progressive contributor in our build up play (other than long balls, which he does do very well) so the bar is not very high; it would be suprising to me, if Varane is slightly worse/not an improvement.

Other than that, yes I agree, nobody should be really expecting him to match Maguire aerially. He just needs to back him up and hold his own, which is where we have had problems with. Then there are areas where we may expect improvement also e.g 1 vs 1 duels, territorial defence, when in transition, channel runs etc.

This is what I'm expecting/hoping. Varane just has to willing and proactive.

Anyways none of us will really know until he steps onto the pitch.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Can't believe Madrid didn't do everything possible to retain him.

TheReligion

Abusive
He will probably be an upgrade in the air, but I don’t think he’ll be an upgrade on the ball. That’s however based on me watching Varane for 10 years and not from % successful passes stats.
Probably be an upgrade in the air :lol:

Don't think he'll be an upgrade on the ball.

For someone who has watched him for 10 years you seem not to be sure of anything other than the fact that the stats that contradict your opinion to be bizarrely wrong.

Interesting analysis.

A-man

Oh stop it man. One game doesn't make the case for his ability on the ball. I can show you a similar clips of John Stones, Pique, Ramos... who've all made absolute blunders in games under a press.

I think you're being overly cautious. Trust your eyes! Sanchez's issues were in his head. He moved away from Arsenal where he was the be all and end all of an attacking team, to a defensive system. The style of play didn't suit him. He then break up with his long term girlfriend and lived alone in Manchester. He then has a lot of injuries. He declined.

Varane is NOTHING like that. He's still going great guns. I've always said the greatest of CBs always had a wingman. There are very very few who could completely dominate on their own. Thankfully, he'll have England's starting CB next to him. Should be fun!
Maybe I’m overly cautious but Sanchez still haunts me… Anyway, the passing is not my concern, it’s more the physical game but he’ll probably be fine.

Those are some bold claims for a player of Varane's quality. I don't believe Lindelof is much of a progressive contributor in our build up play (other than long balls, which he does do very well) so the bar is not very high; it would be suprising to me, if Varane is slightly worse/not an improvement.

Other than that, yes I agree, nobody should be really expecting him to match Maguire aerially. He just needs to back him up and hold his own, which is where we have had problems with. Then there are areas where we may expect improvement also e.g 1 vs 1 duels, territorial defence, when in transition, channel runs etc.
I don’t think it is bold. And I could be wrong, we’ll see soon enough, but based on what I’ve seen in their separate leagues I think both Maguire and Lindelof are better on the ball. But the whole discussion started around stats regarding long balls. I don’t expect Varane to hit many of the quality we saw Lindelof do against Leeds. But again, I could be wrong there, too.

[/QUOTE]
Probably be an upgrade in the air :lol:

Don't think he'll be an upgrade on the ball.

For someone who has watched him for 10 years you seem not to be sure of anything other than the fact that the stats that contradict your opinion to be bizarrely wrong.

Interesting analysis.
How could I be sure? Looking back I wouldn’t say he’s been better with the ball, but maybe la liga is superior in that sense and he will surprise me when he plays in the PL. I can not know. On the other hand the press on the CBs is often higher in the PL. We’ll see.

Regarding aerials. I think he’ll be an upgrade but I’m not 100% sure. I don’t see him as a player who goes in to aerial duels very often. The stats you talk about also confirm that, he wins about 2.4 aerials per game. If the stats were comparable he would win one extra aerial per 5 games, and lose one less every second game, compared to Lindelof. If the stats transfer to real life, yes it’s an improvement but not huge. On the other hand there will more aerial balls to handle in the PL, so I expect him to challenge much more than in the past.

There is also a big difference between the leagues. His aerial won% in la liga is high but that doesn’t mean it will be the same in the PL. His aerial % in the last 3 years of CL is 58% as example.

Again, I absolutely think he’ll be an upgrade aerially, but cannot be 100% sure. We’ll have to wait and see.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Just watch Maguire go now that he has one of the best screens in the world behind him.

Perhaps a couple of months feeling out process before the specific traits and skillsets of the both of them come to the fore, but I'm expecting huge things from both of them.

It will also be interesting to see who and where opposing sides divert their attack to:

- straight down the middle = Maguire and then Varane sweeping up behind him.

- down the right flank = Wan Bissaka's one-on-one ability with Varane sweeping

- down the left = Shaw and Maguire, which is a tried and tested unit

What we do in the remainder of the window with the midfield can have us force teams wide, which won't be easy for them.

Anyway, thinking of the possibilities, there should be a considerable improvement in goals conceded and clear chances the opposition create. Working out where the exploit, and therefore, inlet is is difficult on paper let alone when our attack has whole midfield and defensive lines pinned back for concerted periods of time.

We're a single midfielder away from having no reason not to expect a full-on title challenge: Varane unlocks so much for us than being a quality partner for Maguire - tactically, he really is a dream signing and a calibre you simply don't expect to see move from one club to another for at least three more years.

Big signing and very exciting times.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Just saw his interview with MUTV, I must say his english was really good and he came across as very articulate, humble and inspiring, seems like a good lad. I really hope he can take us to the next level in terms of defensive stability, can't wait to see him in action!

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Raphael Varane plays for Manchester United. Sounds surreal.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Can't believe Madrid didn't do everything possible to retain him.
By all accounts they did - they offered him more than we did in the end but his mind was made up. We've been plugging away at this one for a while.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
By all accounts they did - they offered him more than we did in the end but his mind was made up. We've been plugging away at this one for a while.
Was it? never heard of this. But it's good to know.

It makes things sound even better.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Regarding aerials. I think he’ll be an upgrade but I’m not 100% sure. I don’t see him as a player who goes in to aerial duels very often. The stats you talk about also confirm that, he wins about 2.4 aerials per game. If the stats were comparable he would win one extra aerial per 5 games, and lose one less every second game, compared to Lindelof. If the stats transfer to real life, yes it’s an improvement but not huge. On the other hand there will more aerial balls to handle in the PL, so I expect him to challenge much more than in the past.
When you check aerial stats, you should check how much the CB partner is winning. CBs can only win aerial duel if there is a duel to be won.

At ManUtd, Maguire is far ahead of Lindelof, at Madrid Varane used to win more aerial duels than Ramos.

Tony247

Varane has scored total 19 goals in last 11 years. So I would not expext him to suddenly become a corner threat. That job will still be expected from Maguire.

Maybe I’m overly cautious but Sanchez still haunts me… Anyway, the passing is not my concern, it’s more the physical game but he’ll probably be fine.

I don’t think it is bold. And I could be wrong, we’ll see soon enough, but based on what I’ve seen in their separate leagues I think both Maguire and Lindelof are better on the ball. But the whole discussion started around stats regarding long balls. I don’t expect Varane to hit many of the quality we saw Lindelof do against Leeds. But again, I could be wrong there, too.
How could I be sure? Looking back I wouldn’t say he’s been better with the ball, but maybe la liga is superior in that sense and he will surprise me when he plays in the PL. I can not know. On the other hand the press on the CBs is often higher in the PL. We’ll see.

There is also a big difference between the leagues. His aerial won% in la liga is high but that doesn’t mean it will be the same in the PL. His aerial % in the last 3 years of CL is 58% as example.

Again, I absolutely think he’ll be an upgrade aerially, but cannot be 100% sure. We’ll have to wait and see.
[/QUOTE]

Varane is really composed on the ball and always comes across as confident in his ability. Lindelof for me is able to hit a really good long pass over the top, but he can only usually do this when he's not under pressure. When he is under pressure he tends to take the safer option more often than not. Varane is more likely to take the initiative and beat a man when under pressure, effectively breaking the press and creating passing options in midfield. I'm also much more used to seeing him playing 30 yard ground passes into our attackers' feet than Lindelof.

Lindelof is improving as a ball playing cb, but I don't think he has nearly the confidence in his game that Varane shows. Varane comes across as a leader. That makes a massive difference for a cb. Also, Varane clearly has the advantage when it comes to physical attributes, particularly size and speed.

I don't think this transfer is anything like the Sanchez one, and I'm almost offended for Varane that people would think that of him, just because he comes to United with a big reputation.

MDFC Manager

Varane has scored total 19 goals in last 11 years. So I would not expext him to suddenly become a corner threat. That job will still be expected from Maguire.
Possibly because that fecker called Ramos was getting his head at all offensive corners?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Tbh something just sticks out with him, everything I've read since he joined along with the announcement just makes me feel like he's come here, fully excited at the opportunity and fully focused to win. He's always had a reputation for his professionalism, and I think it's obvious right away. The way he talks in the interview and feeling like he has to do it in English for the fans, he's low key off the pitch but he's come to just bring success. Think he'll end up making a fantastic pairing with Maguire.

RUCK4444

Tbh something just sticks out with him, everything I've read since he joined along with the announcement just makes me feel like he's come here, fully excited at the opportunity and fully focused to win. He's always had a reputation for his professionalism, and I think it's obvious right away. The way he talks in the interview and feeling like he has to do it in English for the fans, he's low key off the pitch but he's come to just bring success. Think he'll end up making a fantastic pairing with Maguire.
Yeah he definitely supported us as a kid I reckon, he has that grin he can’t hide like you would have signing for a team you loved growing up.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Ole mentioned it in interview that apparently it was Varane's own decision that he doesn't think he was ready for the Burnley's friendly match and the Southampton one. Fair enough but the fact he was on the bench vs Southampton, I wouldn't be surprised if he starts vs Wolves.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Don't look too deeply in to what I'm saying-

But do you think Varane knew that possibly Ronaldo was joining us & it helped both their transfers here?

A-man

Ole mentioned it in interview that apparently it was Varane's own decision that he doesn't think he was ready for the Burnley's friendly match and the Southampton one. Fair enough but the fact he was on the bench vs Southampton, I wouldn't be surprised if he starts vs Wolves.
Imagine I was paid £340 000 per week and I told my manager I’m not ready to work yet :D

predator

Youth NITK
Don't look too deeply in to what I'm saying-

But do you think Varane knew that possibly Ronaldo was joining us & it helped both their transfers here?
I'd like to think so but doubt it. Things develop so quickly in football you just don't know what spurred ronaldo on to leave.

What is as good as true is that varane asked ronaldo what united was like and he said nothing but good things like he always has done to those asking.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Imagine I was paid £340 000 per week and I told my manager I’m not ready to work yet :D
You didn’t watch the press conference. The manager actually asked him, it wasn’t Varane told the manager. Varane would never come to knock the door and tells the manager he’s not ready. Varane was just answering the manager’s question and it was Ole‘s decision not to play him because Varane wasn’t fit ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.