Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

InfiniteBoredom

I think he was a bit overwhelmed in the first half, just as the rest of the team was playing badly, but as the game went on his class came through. Bloody baller.

The United

He is still playing within himself obviously being in new team, new league against in a hard away again.

One thing I liked seeing was that it was not all Harry anymore who was heading the ball out from the box.

Manny

Grammar Police
That turned into a really tough game to get through let alone make your debut in but feck me he was impressive.

LoneStar

Very solid showing from him, looked at home and was very calm. It's clear that our defence is up a notch now. Of course, he will improve over the next couple of games with more understanding with our players.

I have the exact same defence in my FM - Shaw/Telles Maguire Varane AWB and United have won two trebles with this, just saying :)

Mercurial

He is so good, grew into a behemoth the more time passed. Speaks a volume about his quality, him just jumping in like this on a new league, club and still maintains his class like nothing changed.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
How was he weak? Saiss had both his hands on his shoulders. It's not like he is superman who can lift off like that.
Because he should've been much stronger, much stronger. Why didn't a single player appeal it if it was such a blatant foul?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
@ivaldo for what it’s worth, I agree with you — he was weak there but it’s a baptism for him. He’ll have to get used to this level of physicality, which I’m sure he will do.

NK86

Because he should've been much stronger, much stronger. Why didn't a single player appeal it if it was such a blatant foul?
The players may not have noticed it real time. Varane didn't go to ground. If he had, then all would have appealed. Again if we are dependent on players' reaction to identify fouls, then the play would always be start-stop

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
@ivaldo for what it’s worth, I agree with you — he was weak there but it’s a baptism for him. He’ll have to get used to this level of physicality, which I’m sure he will do.
Oh agreed. I still thought it was a fine performance. There's just a lot of double standards on display.

OmarUnited4ever

Stood the test of his first PL game, Saiss seemed to have held him but he needs to get used to that, read the game very well and was very calm.

I think he still needs few games to get used to the PL to adapt more and create a better understanding with his partners in defence.

Overall.. Superb Debut game for him.

Stacks

I think he was a bit overwhelmed in the first half, just as the rest of the team was playing badly, but as the game went on his class came through. Bloody baller.
I felt like the poster below made a good point that Wolves kept avoiding him on one on ones and attacking Shaws flank. Almost like his rep put them off.
Weird how Adama didn't want to take him on.
I noticed he kept bottling taking him on. The VVD effect

RedC

He was absolutely class, anyone could be beaten like he was in the air on that corner too, it's extremely difficult for a defender in that situation. We've seen it happen to Maguire, even though he's a beast in the air.

Paxi

Oh agreed. I still thought it was a fine performance. There's just a lot of double standards on display.
Yeah it was a good performance. I mean he’s allowed a bedding in period. Today was as hectic as you’ll see a premier league game. Yet as @harms already pointed out he was very composed. I’m very happy he’s here. Very promising start from him.

TheReligion

Abusive
Did anyone else feel much more assured watching us defend and play the ball out from the back with Varane next to Maguire?

Even in this first half when Traore ran a 2v2 in Varane's channel I didn't feel bothered.

King Eric 7

It's looking like we have the best centre back pairing in the league again after so long :drool:

Abraxas

He did well aside from defending that corner against Saiss. That wasn't his finest moment.

But mostly the chances conceded were not his fault and made some timely interventions showing good positional sense. I wouldn't go overboard about it just because we got a clean sheet because as a unit we did defend poorly but it was encouraging that he mostly did his job.

Chip

Brilliant performance besides the situation leading up to the DDG double save. You could argue that it was a foul?

Paxi

Did anyone else feel much more assured watching us defend and play the ball out from the back with Varane next to Maguire?

Even in this first half when Traore ran a 2v2 in Varane's channel I didn't feel bothered.
Yes. It was very noticeable. Maguire played further up the field and Varane dropped deep and not once did I worry that Wolves would get passed us.

He’s definitely the right partner from Maguire.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Kept watching it and thinking how the he'll woukd we have survived vs Wolves with Lindelof.

TrustInOle

First game, new league, under the cosh for 75% of the time and came out looking like he belongs already! What a signing and what a start, his anticipation is crazy!

Stacks

He did well aside from defending that corner against Saiss. That wasn't his finest moment.

But mostly the chances conceded were not his fault and made some timely interventions showing good positional sense. I wouldn't go overboard about it just because we got a clean sheet because as a unit we did defend poorly but it was encouraging that he mostly did his job.
agreed. One thing for sure is he is definitely a genuinely quality defender and wasn't just carried by Ramos

Someone

Something
He was great. Very composed and wasn't phased by the frantic pace of the game. Always seems to make the right decisions. Really happy with him.

Abhinav

That was a very good debut performance. Great to have a class central defensive pairing.

Status
Not open for further replies.