Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rojofiam

He's the perfect CB to partner Maguire, feels great to have 2 world class centre backs at the club with Lindelöf also being a very solid 3rd choice.

Maguire - Varane is the best CB pairing in the league for me currently. If Konaté's a success then Pool will have a better one, though.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
In a game where we were totally overwhelmed, he was exactly where he needed to be with blocks and headers. Really fit in well there and gives me much more faith at the back

Highfather_24

Very Rio-esque performance. This is what a world class centreback looks like. The first one we've had since Rio-Vidic.

Rossa

Think he’s quietly brilliant, a bit like Rio. Fast enough that Adama couldn’t get past, and won most of his duels.

He also proved that it is possible for a United player to clear a header more then five yards, into the feet of the opposition. That helps!

Djemba-Djemba

Did very well for 99% of the game but if Saiz scores from that header, Varane would have been culpable
It just shows how you need a bit of luck.

He was faultless all game except for that moment and if Wolves score he'd be getting tons of abuse and called a flop etc.

But De Gea saves it, Varane gets away it and people can focus on how brilliant he was for 99% of the game.

Strats

His post match interview. You gotta laugh. What a guy! :D
He's great. Seemed a bit surprised over the speed of the game.

He was excellent tonight, instilled much needed calmness in our defence. Looking forward to see him build up his partnership with Maguire.

Denis79

Being his first game in the PL ever, in a game where they really created a lot against us. AMAZING debut! Anyone remember Lindelofs first game? :lol:

Can't wait for him to settle!

RedDevil250

He's like a Rolls Royce. Just very luxurious without the flash of a Lambo. Besides getting beat on the DDG double save (and even that was a bit forceful contact) he was excellent. He was incredibly calm. Comparing him to Lindelof is honestly hilarious.

criticalanalysis

Brilliant debut. But again I think Lindelof also would have great today. This is not the games where we need Varane over Victor.

Again, hope he settles down fast. Our Best player today.
Disagree wholeheartedly. I can understand if you said that after the Leeds game but that was because their midfield was all over the place in transition and Bamford/their attack never really threatened in behind or aerially. However, it's quite simply better explained below by @laughtersassassin

No offence to Lindelof but did you see the amount of long balls to their striker that Varane dealt with?

Those 50/50s would so often result in chances with Lindelof playing.
Very good game today. Looking forward to seeing his partnership flourishing.

That said, he got beaten all ends up for Wolves biggest chance, and was bailed out by a stunning double save from DDG. I see plenty of posters here Ignoring this, where they would've absolutely destroyed Lindelof if it had been him.
He got beaten for the ball but I don't think he was mauled due to his size/jumping ability or positioning i.e something Lindelof has regular issue with. It was more anticipation plus the attacker was all over him. He should or rather we can hope he learns from this because he showed in other aerial situations he did very well. If this becomes consistent, then yes it's fair game to point it out if no one else hones it on it.

The reason why it may get glossed over is the fact he was pretty much very good in every other situation, in a proactive and positive way. No one is going to have a perfect game and the double standard you speak of where someone like Lindelof would get 'more' or 'bias' criticism, is simply because he doesn't enough offer in other aspects to not warrant needing to concentrate on those errors (even if in this situation it was a big goal scoring opportunity).

De Gea made a brilliant double save and even came off his line (!) for that long ball at the end but some have already commented the fact that header came from within his own 6 yard box. Nobody is exempt from criticism or observation but the better your game and influence is, the less those mistakes will come to the fore when appraising one's performance. It may look subtle today where you could argue 'Lindelof would have kept a clean sheet today also' but imo Varane's game today is markedly a level above and that's why that mistake would get 'gleaned' over.

Anyways, it's only one game but it's promising and what many of us have reservedly expected.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
embarrassing. wolves would have scored if they managed to score. get rid.
There was a point where I thought Wolves might score in a couple of minutes. Making me worry like that is unacceptable and no United player should make me feel that way. Send him back to Scotland or wherever he came from.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Didn't even used his full pace today. Think this is exactly what we wanted from Tuanzebe to become someday.

Ace of Spades

Fantastic game. That chance would not be a issue if we had a keeper who dealt with balls in the six yard box. The help that it would give to the CBs if we had a more dominant GK like Donnaruma would be huge.

Still, the 1st clean sheet in a while and he played a big part in that.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I said in the match day thread, there was a moment when Adama was charging forward towards Varane and he chose to lay it off to his right and it ultimately came to nothing. If that was Lindelof, he would have taken him on 100%. His reputation proceeded him and Adama just didn’t fancy even trying to beat him 1 on 1.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Being his first game in the PL ever, in a game where they really created a lot against us. AMAZING debut! Anyone remember Lindelofs first game? :lol:

Can't wait for him to settle!
Came on for Jones against Huddersfield away, and misjudged a long ball by their player which led to them scoring their second goal, we lost 2-1.

I'll never forget the embarrassment I felt.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Brilliant debut. But again I think Lindelof also would have great today. This is not the games where we need Varane over Victor.

Again, hope he settles down fast. Our Best player today.
I've not seen the numbers, but felt to me like Varane won a lot of headers today. Feel like Lindelof would have been way more flustered.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
He was class and he has such an aura about him.
Love him already!

Winrar

Solid debut considering the opposition's intensity. Couldn't have done much better.

The assist is icing on top of the cake.

AshRK

Wish we also had a dm who brings such calmness. The way he read the danger was brilliant to see.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I said in the match day thread, there was a moment when Adama was charging forward towards Varane and he chose to lay it off to his right and it ultimately came to nothing. If that was Lindelof, he would have taken him on 100%. His reputation proceeded him and Adama just didn’t fancy even trying to beat him 1 on 1.
Yeah, I remember that. Traore had just burst past Fred and Pogba but held up once Varane started easing him inside. Was only a minor detail but, considering how Traore had half of our team on toast today, it was telling that he didn't fancy going at Varane.

Considering the lack of protection our back four gets, he was excellent. Did everything well.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yeah, I remember that. Traore had just burst past Fred and Pogba but held up once Varane started easing him inside. Was only a minor detail but, considering how Traore had half of our team on toast today, it was telling that he didn't fancy going at Varane.

Considering the lack of protection our back four gets, he was excellent. Did everything well.
Yeah it’s just a very minor detail but it just had me thinking back to when we had Ferdinand and Vidic and how deflated a lot of teams were before they’d even tried facing them. Small margins in this game but if you’re inside the attackers head like that you’ve already won the battle.

lex talionis

Pure class today.

After the brilliant CB partnership of Jones and Smalling, we’re finally sorted out with Maguire and Varane.

spiriticon

If that's the performance levels of the first Varane-Maguire game, I'm licking my lips for the time when they forge a full understanding with each other.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Yeah it’s just a very minor detail but it just had me thinking back to when we had Ferdinand and Vidic and how deflated a lot of teams were before they’d even tried facing them. Small margins in this game but if you’re inside the attackers head like that you’ve already won the battle.
Early days but I do genuinely believe this will be our best CB partnership since those two. I'd rather they weren't so manically overworked but they seem very complimentary. If we get a decent DM ahead of them we could almost aim to keep it tight and nick a goal more often than not. We'll have the individual brilliance to create something, even if we're not that expansive.

largelyworried

Excellent today. Given this was his first game of the season, in a new team and a new league, facing Traore in beast mode with no midfield in front of him, he did damn well. We gave up chances, but that was due to runners coming unchecked from midfield. Once it got got to the defenders area they usually rectified things. Bodes really well for the coming season.

Status
Not open for further replies.