Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suedesi

The commentators were so cringe on my telly last night. "Well he didnt expect that did he?", "Kick and rush football. Adama just ran past 2 players and found himself in a dangerous position", "Welcome to Premier League", "He must be asking Harry Maguire does this happen all the time"

Well he has dealt with players like prime Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Neymar and Suarez for ages. Not to mention other world class players in the CL and beat them to the trophy. He also looked calm and composed against Wolves anyway. Why do you think he has to shit himself when facing Adama and Wolverhampton? I love the PL but the exageration and overreaction are too much.
These commentators sound very parochial.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The scrutiny on all of our defenders is unbearable, a lot of fans expectations do not match reality at all. Just constant pick, pick, picking at every little thing.
Imagine what it would have been like during Vidic and Evra's 1st half season.

Firefly

Was ok, for first match. Overcommitted/had balance wrong few occasions in first half giving opposition player 2-3 meter in box to pick pass/shoot, and that header for such a big lad, weak.

Big upgrade for team in future, but yesterday was no 2nd coming of our lord.

tomaldinho1

Was ok, for first match. Overcommitted/had balance wrong few occasions in first half giving opposition player 2-3 meter in box to pick pass/shoot, and that header for such a big lad, weak.

Big upgrade for team in future, but yesterday was no 2nd coming of our lord.
For a player who hasn't played in so long he did well enough though. If that was him with no preseason (I don't think he even played the Burnley behind doors game),no familiarity with him team mates & a terrible midfield for protection just think how good he could be if we get our shit together.

Strats

Heard Rio on his podcast mentioning him he covering Maguire being slightly caught out by blocking a ball coming in from the right hand side in the box as a moment where he really showed his class.

Noticed that as well during the game, felt like something only top class defenders do. Don't think Lindelof would have read the situation the same way, and if he did he wouldn't have been there in time.

He is just absolutely class, long may it continue.

Strelok

Easy....it was the wrong call
Easy for you to say so. Anyway you missed the point here.

According to you using hands to push a defender down then climb to get to the ball is definitely not a foul in the PL. Then what foul was given to Maguire in order to disallow that goal in the first place? The foul was rightly or wrongly called is another matter. The ref and VAR just disalowed a goal because of ...nothing??

Goku1983

Apparently Ole told Lindelof he was being rested I hope thats really not true

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Apparently Ole told Lindelof he was being rested I hope thats really not true
Any links to that claim?
He literally said it in an interview pre-match. It’s called man management. We will need Lindelof at times during the season so why shit on him and tell the world what everyone knows, he’s been demoted. What would be achieved by that?

Are you actually worried that Lindelof is still first choice ahead of Varane?

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
He literally said it in an interview pre-match. It’s called man management. We will need Lindelof at times during the season so why shit on him and tell the world what everyone knows, he’s been demoted. What would be achieved by that?

If I was the manager I'd actually just be honest and tell Lindeloff he's an important part of the squad and you'll just have to fight for the place on the team.

PS: Lindeloff is not a patch on Varane.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If I was the manager I'd actually just be honest and tell Lindeloff he's an important part of the squad and you'll just have to fight for the place on the team.

PS: Lindeloff is not a patch on Varane.
I trust Ole to know what is the best approach for Lindelof. As I said, he knows he’s below Varane in the pecking order and I suggest that Ole knows that no good will come from making a song and dance of that. If Lindelof sees Solskjaer still taking the time to value him publicly he’s likely to stay motivated and reward him for it.

Goku1983

Well thats true you definitely wouldnt say hes been demoted in public he must of had a private word in his ear ssying hes still important I can see him being used as a DM in all honesty until Mctom is back he cant be worse than Fred although my choice would be Donny.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Easy for you to say so. Anyway you missed the point here.

According to you using hands to push a defender down then climb to get to the ball is definitely not a foul in the PL. Then what foul was given to Maguire in order to disallow that goal in the first place? The foul was rightly or wrongly called is another matter. The ref and VAR just disalowed a goal because of ...nothing??
I didn't miss any point El Oh El. Harry Maguires goal should have stood because there wasn't a foul and had Wolves scored yesterday, that goal would stand too. Sometimes you have to fight for positioning. You've obviously never played if you think otherwise...

The United

It is too early to say but I got Rio's vibe from him for some reason.

Everything seems to go slowly when the ball comes near him like you can sort of see ahead what he will do in a slow motion mode.

It is like he is giving the attacker a certain choice only but that will be taken away in a second anyway and he makes you see it on TV screen too. Just strange that I might be the only one who saw his debut like that.

Strelok

I didn't miss any point El Oh El. Harry Maguires goal should have stood because there wasn't a foul and had Wolves scored yesterday, that goal would stand too. Sometimes you have to fight for positioning. You've obviously never played if you think otherwise...
You still don't get it. I was talking about the existence of such foul not whether the goal was disallowed correctly or not.

It's like you got a ticket for speeding. There must be a rule in the first place in order to fine you for that. If there's no such rule you simply can't be fined whatever your speed. Whether you're fined correctly or not is another matter.

MagooDad

If he's back to his top form from 2019-2020, we probably have a top-3 CB in the World in him, a top-10 in Maguire and a top-30 in Lindelöf. That's a pretty good situation. We went from a average CB situation to one of the best in Europe.

Only PSG and Juventus have a clearly better trio. While City, Bayern and Chelsea have something similar to us. It's been a while since we could have said that we have better coverage there as compared to Real Madrid and Barcelona.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
You still don't get it. I was talking about the existence of such foul not whether the goal was disallowed correctly or not.

It's like you got a ticket for speeding. There must be a rule in the first place in order to fine you for that. If there's no such rule you simply can't be fined whatever your speed. Whether you're fined correctly or not is another matter.
You're way too smart for me. Here I was fixated on the fact that maguire's "foul" was the wrong call. I didn't know we were talking about 51 in a 50 technically being a speeding ticket. Thanks for the laugh. now bugger off...

Strelok

You're way too smart for me. Here I was fixated on the fact that maguire's "foul" was the wrong call. I didn't know we were talking about 51 in a 50 technically being a speeding ticket. Thanks for the laugh. now bugger off...
I'm not that smart just you're too ... or you simply refuse to understand.

AttackAttackAttack

Heard Rio on his podcast mentioning him he covering Maguire being slightly caught out by blocking a ball coming in from the right hand side in the box as a moment where he really showed his class.

Noticed that as well during the game, felt like something only top class defenders do. Don't think Lindelof would have read the situation the same way, and if he did he wouldn't have been there in time.

He is just absolutely class, long may it continue.
I noticed that as well and saw it as a sign of a defensive unit working well reading the game and covering for each other. It was a class move but not highlighted because he made it look easy.

GueRed

A bit worrying the much shorter Saiss easily out jumped him before that De Gea double save.

Apart from that did well in what was a whirlwind of a match..

Alemar

Varane 1.91 m (6 ft 3 in)
Maguire 1.93 m (6 ft 4 in)
Pogba 1.91 m (6 ft 3 in)
Apparently, McTominay is also 1.93 m and Matic 1.94 m - with all this height (and impeccable heading of Ronaldo) we now need to be scoring a lot of attacking headers from set pieces

villain

Hates Beyoncé
One of the first things I said when we signed him was how much he would improve AWB.
Last two seasons much of AWB's mistakes have come from when he's had to cover Lindelof's man as well as his own, and ended up not fully covering either.
With Varane he doesn't need to make up the pace at the back, or cover for him aerially like he was doing with Lindelof - so seeing Varane imparting some wisdom and communication on field too is a bonus that I didn't expect and can only improve us.

Status
Not open for further replies.