Rashford is as good as Mbappé...

In your opinion is Rashford presently as good as Mbappé?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
Mbappe is a generational talent.
This 18 year old is toying with some of the most elite sides in the world.
He is clearly above every other talent in the world.
What else do you want?
I'm assuming Generational talent =Best of his generation?
That's what he is.

Rashford is a good talent. That's what he is. Very unfair to compare him to Mbappe.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Don't know how people can say Martial's finishing is better than Rashford's. Really can't. They're on par, Rashford might even edge him out on current form.

Martial misses a lot of chances point blank or coming at the keeper.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
What else do you want?
That's what he is.

Rashford is a good talent. That's what he is. Very unfair to compare him to Mbappe.
The Mbappe reality distortion field is strong with this one. Must practice my Vulcan hand gestures to keep up.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
The Mbappe reality distortion field is strong with this one. Must practice my Vulcan hand gestures to keep up.
Live long and prosper to you mate.

I don't have to justify my opinions to this reply. Any other forum and this thread will be laughed off. And rightly so.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
Don't know how people can say Martial's finishing is better than Rashford's. Really can't. They're on par, Rashford might even edge him out on current form.

Martial misses a lot of chances point blank or coming at the keeper.
I think it's been a tendency this season tbh. He was ice cold in his first season here. I think over the past 3 seaons, Martial edges it over Rashford in finishing. Would have to look at the shots to goals ratio tbh.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Live long and prosper to you mate.

I don't have to justify my opinions to this reply. Any other forum and this thread will be laughed off. And rightly so.
You haven't actually made any substantive points other than "this thread would be laughed off" and "Mbappe is a generational talent". These are all subjective characteristics based on your opinion instead anything tangible. And its not surprise that since there is actually very little between them.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
You haven't actually made any substantive points other than "this thread would be laughed off" and "Mbappe is a generational talent". These are all subjective characteristics based on your opinion instead anything tangible. And its not surprise that since there is actually very little between them.
The substantive points have already been stated in this thread. Multiple times, infact. Didn't the kid wreck Bayern, just a couple of weeks ago? Or Juve last season? Wouldn't you classify them as elite sides? I simply pointed that out.
Mbappe is a better dribbler, finisher and has astounding decision making capability. Some poster above said that decision making ability doesn't count as a football ability. I disagree, as we see with Mkhitaryan, age is no guarantee of improvement in decision making. Mbappe, rivals some of the best players in that regard.
Regarding Rashford. He is a very good talent. But he isn't a patch on Wayne Rooney at 18-19. And Kylian Mbappe is arguably better than Rooney at the same age.
Ergo, any thread along these lines in any other forum, would indeed be laughed off.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The substantive points have already been stated in this thread. Multiple times, infact. Didn't the kid wreck Bayern, just a couple of weeks ago? Or Juve last season? Wouldn't you classify them as elite sides? I simply pointed that out.
He didn't wreck anyone. He played well and scored against several sides in the CL which is great. We've also discussed that Rashford has scored on every debut so far and has also scored against Chelsea, Arsenal, and City. He hasn't yet played in the CL but there's really nothing to suggest he wouldn't deliver similar results to Mbappe if he did.

Mbappe is a better dribbler, finisher and has astounding decision making capability. Some poster above said that decision making ability doesn't count as a football ability. I disagree, as we see with Mkhitaryan, age is no guarantee of improvement in decision making. Mbappe, rivals some of the best players in that regard.
Regarding Rashford. He is a very good talent. But he isn't a patch on Wayne Rooney at 18-19. And Kylian Mbappe is arguably better than Rooney at the same age.
Ergo, any thread along these lines in any other forum, would indeed be laughed off.
You can say he's a better dribbler, finisher, and decision maker and I can say Rashford scores a more complete set of goals - headers, freekicks, outside the box (which Mbappe currently lacks). Lastly, we don't care whether you think this thread would be laughed off elsewhere. We're here to discuss the two players not shut down debate by suggesting the topic would be laughed off by the group think sheep on other forums.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
This is the inflation about Mbappe's abilities I mention earlier. Everything he does get blown out of proportion due to people following a certain hype trend.

He's not judged based on his abilities but mostly on social media hype.

He plays well against Bayern and people(like you) turn it into him wrecking Bayern which lead to overblown hype and him further getting overrated.

Wrecking a team is what Messi did to City last year at camp nou, was a 19 year old Messi did to Real Madrid with one of the run of the century etc. Mbappe had a good game against Bayern, so did Neymar or Cavani but he didn't wreck them that's just exaggeration.

You people are giving him this tag of generation best based on inflated hype.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Like I said his abilities don't stand out from his peers nor set him apart from them. He's currently the most hyped youngster of the lot but there are many youngsters as talented in the likes of Dembele, Martial, I'm hearing Ascensio(though haven't watched much of him, so can't tell) etc. Some might say he's arguably the best of the lot but he's got nothing setting him apart like true generational talent in the likes of Messi did.

Your Dembele and Martial can do all you just mention. They can score, pass, dribble, score, assist and plenty more.

Mbappe is simply overhyped. Shown nothing setting him apart, nothing at all. He's one of the very top talents of his generation that's all I see.

I think the difference is, with Martial or Rashford there's always question mark on their consistency and rawness (all young players have same problem). With Mbappe, since he is younger and just broke into the scene earlier this year, we don't get to see that (yet). What we saw at this point is a perfect start of a player's career, in terms of performances, goals/assists, maturity and CL games etc. seconded maybe only to good old Ronaldo as we all remember.

Varun

Staff
The thing that really stands out when you watch Mbappe compared to his age group is his maturity level. He's on a different level to the other kids but isn't it an advantage that naturally declines with time?

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
This is the inflation about Mbappe's abilities I mention earlier. Everything he does get blown out of proportion due to people following a certain hype trend.

He's not judged based on his abilities but mostly on social media hype.

He plays well against Bayern and people(like you) turn it into him wrecking Bayern which lead to overblown hype and him further getting overrated..
Inversely. We'd be creaming ourselves, if Rashford produced the same performance against the same level of opposition. Also he did more than "play well".
Social media hype it seems, some of us do actually watch the kid play.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The thing that really stands out when you watch Mbappe compared to his age group is his maturity level. He's on a different level to the other kids but isn't it an advantage that naturally declines with time?
Yes and no. Some players will develop that part significantly but plenty won't, it's not like a physical advantage where better training, better coaching will almost invariably develop the athleticism of a player. Also his maturity could easily develop too, he will like the others gain in experience and make a good or bad use of it.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Exactly and where did Rooney end up? A good player but hardly one that lived up to his potential. We need to wait and see how it all pans out.

Varun

Staff
Yes and no. Some players will develop that part significantly but plenty won't, it's not like a physical advantage where better training, better coaching will almost invariably develop the athleticism of a player. Also his maturity could easily develop too, he will like the others gain in experience and make a good or bad use of it.
Yeah, agree with that but given how good he already is in that regard, it's tough to see how he could improve as much as the others can. I'm not really saying all the kids that age will improve linearly, never works that way but you'd think atleast some of them would bridge the gap.

Camilo

Exactly and where did Rooney end up? A good player but hardly one that lived up to his potential. We need to wait and see how it all pans out.
I think Rooney more than lived up to his potential - he was utterly unplayable and one of the very best in the world for years.

I haven't seen enough of Mbappe to make any accurate call about how good he is or could be (because the first time any of us knew he existed was about 8 months ago!). I've watched a lot of Rashford of course, and he's much better than I thought he would be after his first few matches... I don't think he's playing in an attack quite as slick as Monacos and PSGs have been however, so inevitably he plays in less space.

What I have seen of Mbappe is a quick, strong player with good skill, but no more than that yet.. He's clearly a very good player and probably a more rounded player than Rashford, but it's only a few months since City vs Monaco, and he wasn't any more than an exciting talent then. The way the hype has built has been crazy - much of it stemming from ridiculous transfer fee predictions in the summer.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yeah, agree with that but given how good he already is in that regard, it's tough to see how he could improve as much as the others can. I'm not really saying all the kids that age will improve linearly, never works that way but you'd think atleast some of them would bridge the gap.
Some of them will definitely bridge the gap, just look at Griezmann, he wasn't close to the top at 17/18 years old but he outdeveloped almost everyone. I wouldn't be surprised if only one of Mbappé, Gabriel Jesus, Rashford or Martial is still talked about when they turn 25, it's almost always like that.

Schneckerl

We simply don't know at this stage since he's at the very beginning of his pro career. That's why its completely ridiculous to invoke the likes of Messi as all it does it heighten expectations to astronomical levels. Let's just watch his development over the next couple of years and see where he winds up.
Ok so the problem is not Mbappe, but something with young small sample size playerd in general.

In the majority of cases that might be a correct reaction, but that's actually because there is a specific reason why this is warranted for that player. I still haven't seen a compelling reason in Mbappe's case. Name me a failed young player and I can give you one.

Cases of 99.99% sure thing prospects exist. Not sure if Mbappe fits this category, but he is close.

The number one reason by far why exceptional young athletes don't turn out as good as their ability suggest are attitude problems. Doesn't look like Mbappe has those, quite the contrary.

Of course he could suffer a career ending injury tomorrow, but that could happen to any player.

Last edited:

We need an rvn

it's the same old argument though isn't it. If we're comparing him to Messi / Ronaldo, arguably two of the greatest players ever, then no he didn't reach their level. But I think it's fair to say that if we had said at the start of his United / England career that he wouldn't win anything with England but he'd end up record goal scorer and he'd win what he has at United and beat Sir Bobby's record then we'd have said that's a fecking great career and we couldn't have asked for more.

Schneckerl

Messi and CR really messed up peoples expectations.

Do you think people would view Mbappe as a transfer bust if he ends up PSG topscorer and plays 400 games for them.

fellaini's barber

And I'd argue that if Mbappe was English and in Manchester United and Rashford in Ligue 1, this thread wouldn't even exist.
This, if Rashford wasn't English playing for United we probably won't have heard of him contrary to what everyone on here seem to think

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
To be fair Rooney does have a great career, but just not a GOAT one like Messi and Ronaldo did, where they were more or less rated as highly at the very beginning. But no one could have predicted how far those other two could go, to be fair.

This, if Rashford wasn't English playing for United we probably won't have heard of him contrary to what everyone on here seem to think
Ok @fellaini's barber I’ll play.

So if Rashford was Italian, scored a brace on his debut aged 18 vs. Roma, then scored on his national team debut, his Europa League debut, his domestic cup debut, his Champions League debut and was the standout player in last season’s Europa League semi finals and started the final... we wouldn’t have heard of him?

Hmmm.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
What's with the obsession of some people on here to pretend Mbappe is about 500 times better than he actually is?

Why does there always have to be at least one non United player that certain people on here feel the need to be irrationally delusional and emotional about? It's dumb even when it is a United player

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Ok @fellaini's barber I’ll play.

So if Rashford was Italian, scored a brace on his debut aged 18 vs. Roma, then scored on his national team debut, his Europa League debut, his domestic cup debut, his Champions League debut and was the standout player in last season’s Europa League semi finals and started the final... we wouldn’t have heard of him?

Hmmm.
I have better one.

If Mbappe was playing in I league, no one here would have heard about him.

Seriously this is dumb game.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I watched him against Juve and he played well but certainly didn't "wreck" them. I have watched him enough times to know that your point about his decision making is somewhere between an out and out lie and laughably inaccurate. To claim he "rivals some of the best players in that regard" is bizarre...you sound like a Mbappe PR spokesman who's campaigning for him to win some kind of greatest footballer of all time award.

You would have been laughed off here for claiming Ronaldo was a better talent than Rooney when they were both 18/19...because at that age it's more potential than anything else, and it's no different with Mbappe or any other player in his age bracket I'm afraid.

Classical Mechanic

What's with the obsession of some people on here to pretend Mbappe is about 500 times better than he actually is?

Why does there always have to be at least one non United player that certain people on here feel the need to be irrationally delusional and emotional about? It's dumb even when it is a United player
Indeed. Apparently he 'wrecked' Bayern which translates into him creating 3 chances and getting 1 assist.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Indeed. Apparently he 'wrecked' Bayern which translates into him creating 3 chances and getting 1 assist.
In a CL group game, in which Bayern were so poor they felt the need to sack their manager afterwards...but yeah.

I just don't understand why anyone even cares who's better out of this or that teenager. It's literally impossible to tell how a player's career will pan out at that age. No matter how much you care or lie about how good/bad they are.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
In a CL group game, in which Bayern were so poor they felt the need to sack their manager afterwards...but yeah.

I just don't understand why anyone even cares who's better out of this or that teenager. It's literally impossible to tell how a player's career will pan out at that age. No matter how much you care or lie about how good/bad they are.
Worse part is saying "Rashford can be only as good as ______ at best" as if they can measure the potential like in FIFA/FM or they have some crystal ball which shows how each of these players will end up in future.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What else do you want?
That's what he is.

He's not really toying. People act as if he's genuinely dominating games. He's doing brilliantly for his age and showing he's got a great goalscorer prowess. But you'd think he's absolutely taking the piss which really isn't the case. A few moments of quality per game (like a really top class talent) and it's seemingly considered as domination.

As for talent, I'm not sure. Demebele has got incredible talent. Martial is a top talent. Not sure I see a clear superiority in talent in Mbappe. He appears more advanced in his development which is quite something. But I dont see a far superior talent (yet).

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
@Camilo @We need an rvn @Schneckerl @RedRonaldo

The point is that Rooney was at 18 regarded as potentially the best english/british player ever. Someone who would be the next Best/Charlon and possibly better. As good as his career was, it would be completely rewriting history to say he managed to come anywhere near that in terms of performing on the big stage and being the leading man in title campaigns/international tournaments. He was a key player, a world class player but not one who will be remembered globally as one of the all time great footballers.

Mbappe is being spoken about as 'THE' talent of this generation, the Messi and Ronaldo of his era.. and leagues ahead of Dembele et al. Therefore if he does fail to be a GOAT talent, many will say he didn't live up to his potential.. which for me is very harsh, just like people are very harsh about Rooney too. Therefore my point is and I think what @Santoryo is trying to say is, look he's comfortably the best young player in the world right now because physically he's almost fully formed, very well balanced, strong and has maturity beyond his years. He's very similar to the Rooney of 18 in that physically he's already there and can handle the grown man's game, and decision-making wise, he's already showing world class footballing brain.. whilst that is exceptional in of itself, there is definitely a chance that once teams appreciate what a threat he is, he'll get double-marked, kicked out of games and then will he still be as dangerous a player? what if he gets injured? or lets the hype get to him? does he have the same level of growth in his game that a Cristiano or a Messi had?

Is he destined to just become a slightly more well-rounded, complete version than he is now, but never hit 50-60 goals a season regularly? or win multiple CL's/world cups etc etc.

These are all unknown things. I would say technically he is special, mentality wise he is special.. but is he as agile/quick and skilful as a R9 at that age? probably not, but we all need to watch more of him and see him go through some ups and downs before we 100% say he's going to be a GOAT level player. Let him breathe, let him grow.

One thing I disagree with @Santoryo is that he is definitely special and in the champions league, he's played big sides and not wrecked them but he has been pretty damn good, which when I consider Rooney/Ronaldo v AC Milan, he's a step ahead in that respect and Messi was brilliant v Chelsea when breaking through, but Mbappe has had to carry his side. So what he is doing right now, is unprecedented in many respects and special.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Again though I watched Monaco quite a bit last season and there wasn't a single occasion where he was carrying them. They had a number of very good players, many of who were much better at managing/controlling a game than Mbappe, and they played very well as a team...hence why they've lost a lot of those players and had to fend off interest for others. Mbappe was a very exciting talent in that team.

History is already being re-written because reading this thread you would think it was Mbappe carrying a bunch of semi professionals on his back all season and dragging them single handedly through the Champions league.

Classical Mechanic

One thing I disagree with @Santoryo is that he is definitely special and in the champions league, he's played big sides and not wrecked them but he has been pretty damn good, which when I consider Rooney/Ronaldo v AC Milan, he's a step ahead in that respect and Messi was brilliant v Chelsea when breaking through, but Mbappe has had to carry his side. So what he is doing right now, is unprecedented in many respects and special.
Correct me if I'm wrong but he didn't play much for Monaco in the first half of the season last year and they were still top of the league?

You are not seriously suggesting that he is carrying PSG and France right now are you?

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Mbappe didn't carry Monaco in the CL, this is another exaggeration(Same type of exaggeration like Rashford carrying us last year in the Europa League because he scored in 2 games albeit crucial ones). He was brilliant and did his part while others also did their parts. Monaco as a whone were brilliant especially going forward. Mbappe as one of their attacking players bagged in goals for the team and help them.

This is my main grip with the Mbappe hype, over inflation of everything he does in order for people to put in as this Messi esque talent which he simply isn't.

Also @Raees I never said nor implied that Mbappé is comfortably the best player of his generation, that's the exact opposite of what I'm saying. Some might make a case that he's arguably the best among his peers but he doesn't stand out compare to then to comfortably be better than them.

Mbappe is simply the most hyped youngster currently which doesn't necessation translate to him being the best. I personally rate Dembele and Martial over him.

Zoo

Mbappe is a level above any youngster out there notably because of his remarkably mature decision making. Rashford and others could close the gap in coming years though.

Ubermensch

Mbappe is clearly an incredible player and will be challenging for balon dor's in the future but I just don't think, by the end of this new generation, he'll be regarded as the best player of it. For me he's a machine, a very good calculator of the game. But imo he just lacks that... 'magic' that you get from martials dribbling, asensio's long shots or dembele through balls. Obviously you can point out what he did to alaba and call me a fool, but still I just don't feel that edge-of-your-seat rush in mbappe s game.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Correct me if I'm wrong but he didn't play much for Monaco in the first half of the season last year and they were still top of the league?

You are not seriously suggesting that he is carrying PSG and France right now are you?
You're taking 'carrying' the wrong way. He was the leading player at Monaco, their 'star' player by the end of the season. It was a good all round side, and everyone played their part but to me he was clearly their leading player.

He's not the leading player for PSG or France, that would be Neymar or Griezmann, but it is a testament to his ability that at 18, he's pushing them to be that leading player himself.

and @Santoryo Mbappe, has seamlessly slotted himself into starting lineup for France and made impact against big sides in a way that Martial certainly hasn't. As good as Martial is and can be, Mbappe is surely more deserved of hype than him at the moment (different thing of course if you think Martial will eventually prove himself the better player - which is definitely possible).

Must surely be the stand out worst post in this thread right?

What side has Mbappe remotely carried ffs?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.