g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Rashford - New contract or sell?

What to do with Marcus Rashford...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

humdinger

I used to really like Rashford but think he’s lost his way. He might well get back into some form but his lack of application on the pitch and leaks to the media concern me. It’s a shame but he is likely to demand a contract far beyond his worth. Sell for me.

Teja

He's a bit of a form / confidence player - has ups and downs and yeah he's in a pretty deep hole right now.

The problem is if his peak is good enough and if he can stay at that level consistently. I don't think he ever proved that he can play a whole season at a really high level, so I voted to get rid. Even the 20 G+A season under Ole was full of inconsistent performances. The only thing that consistently worked for him that season was on transitions where he sprints forward as soon as we win the ball and Bruno finds him. That's what lead to the Ole can coach a good counter attacking side arguments.

Weaknesses are his inconsistent touch, not being able to dribble and average passing. Leave him 1v1 against a fullback the best he can do is to try a nutmeg and hope it comes off. The bread and butter move for players of his mould is to cut in and shoot but he doesn't really have the trickery necessary to even fool the fullback a little bit, so he can't do that. He looks even worse on the RW because he can't even attempt at cut-in + shot.

matt23

Well, your answer is correct in isolation.
He appeared to suggest he wanted to leave to play more football the other week to be fair. He might think another year of stagnation at United is more harmful than a lower wage for a few years and the chance to get back on track.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He appeared to suggest he wanted to leave to play more football the other week to be fair. He might think another year of stagnation at United is more harmful than a lower wage for a few years and the chance to get back on track.
Fair enough if he is planning to do that.

Banana Republic

He’s disrespecting the club and us, the fans, by the PR and social media behaviour…and yet some people want to give him another season, in the wishful hope that he’ll turn into a better player.
Is it really wise to piss away £10.4 million a season in wages, just in case?

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I'd give him one more season to sort himself out with the new manager and activate the one year extension. If he continues playing as he has next season, I'd sell him.
This. The new manager should have a chance at working with him. If it's still not happening, then sell him.

finneh

I'd give him one more season to sort himself out with the new manager and activate the one year extension. If he continues playing as he has next season, I'd sell him.
Another year in this form and he'll be unsaleable. It'll be a free transfer with us paying two-thirds of his salary. It's probably a £60m gamble.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
This. The new manager should have a chance at working with him. If it's still not happening, then sell him.
If we wait next year, it would be too late because no one will pay big enough. The choice should be giving him new contract now or move on. He doesn’t deserve a new deal.

OldSchoolManc

Absolutely sell. Proved that he has a bad attitude towards criticism of his own bad performances. Lots of stories put out by his ‘team’ that lots of other clubs want him…Well, I‘ll be astounded if we get anything above 20 million for him after the last 2 years.
I’ll be amazed if anyone even matches his current wage. He’s been proven awful with no football brain for too long.

reddevilz007

Sell.

try to get Nkunku. If not, get Raphinha, in the hopes that Bruno starts playing well again. Because if not, Bruno will soon be on the chopping list too.

King29

Sell now while we can. Clear the wage bill for the rebuild

m1tch

Not playing like he wants a new contract is he?

It's turning out really sad with Rashford, so much hope when he came into the team, such a likeable lad with a great story and affinity with the club. It was so refreshing having a player who was there for more than just the money.

This looked like his dream come true but something has gone badly wrong, whether it's down to his injuries being far more serious than we know, personal problems, bad influences, there's got to be more to it than the 'loss of form, loss of confidence' line that's peddled. I know there's a possibility that he's just not talented enough for this level but that doesn't explain playing with a lack of determination, many players forge great careers through determination over their natural ability. I really do suspect there's something else going on with him, he's set to lose a lot if his United story ends.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
C'mon Arsenal, do your thing, £60m and we get this done.

Think of the social media boost!

RedDevil@84

Haha true. Still surprised it's that one sided.
If there was a third choice that said no negotiations till next year, the votes may get split. As of now the choice is between extension (higher pay than current 200k) and sell.
Easy choice

Tyrion

He’s disrespecting the club and us, the fans, by the PR and social media behaviour…and yet some people want to give him another season, in the wishful hope that he’ll turn into a better player.
Is it really wise to piss away £10.4 million a season in wages, just in case?
How is the PR disrespectful?

I dont understand why people can't separate him playing like shite and him campaigning for causes he cares about. They're totally separate.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I dont understand why people can't separate him playing like shite and him campaigning for causes he cares about. They're totally separate.
Do you reckon his campaigning for social causes would have gained as much attention if he was playing for, let's say Aston Villa, in his current form?

We've a host of players building their profile/brand on the back of being Utd players, whilst actually being pretty shit Utd players.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
It's impossible to judge a player in these circumstances. Who wouldn't look bad while learning a new system mid-season with the wrong team mates. We shouldn't sell anyone who might still fit in till we have a new coach and a clear style of play bedded down. Not while we are in transition.

It's obvious that some players will never high press and getting rid of them is the priority. AWB, Ronaldo, DdG, Maguire, Pogba, Cavani- they are the ones that need to go first.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We tend to get contract renewals / decisions to keep or sell wrong so I'm not confident on this one.

The problem with Rashford is that he was always a big talent/good young player rather than a top player, much like Martial and are accordingly were paying big money him/them based on their future potential (which is really daft).

Now instead of becoming the great we are paying him to become, he's gone from a good player to absolute trash. Given he's been poor for 1.5 years I'm not confident at all that he'll reach his old level let alone become as good as his pay. Hence while I've said that we should loan him this next season it won't solve anything as his contract is up for renewal and paying someone who isn't top class 200 k per week is madness. Hence we may have to sell unless we're happy to wait it out next season to see him pissibly leave on a free which is not woeth it imo. Part of me just wants us to let go of these overpaid players and restructure our wages.

Jackal981

How is the PR disrespectful?

Uhm are you living under the rock ? He leaked out about the extension crap after we got hammered by City. Plus all of those supposed "interest" from Barca, Liverpool and City. Did you read that his phone keep ringing non stop from those clubs begging the Great Sir Rashford to join them ? :lol: Plus he leaked and bitched out about the lack of game time which of course caused by his shit performance itself.

Becks00

He won't be up for sale this summer, there are far too many players looking like they would be leaving already. Adding Rashford to that doesn't help anyone, we still need a squad to compete next season and we can't buy everyone giving the budget constraint(same reason I don't see Maguire going anywhere). He shouldn't be offered a new contract though, and if the only available options were those indicated in the poll, then selling would be the right choice. But I expect him to still be at the club next season, let's just hope he gets his head right and form improves because he does contribute when in form.

We shouldn't then rely on him coming good next season either, Sancho and a new RW (Preferably Antony) should be first choice wingers next season with Rashford and Elanga as rotation options.

CM

Another year in this form and he'll be unsaleable. It'll be a free transfer with us paying two-thirds of his salary. It's probably a £60m gamble.
So be it. I don't think we're exactly getting mega bucks for him as things stand anyway.

finneh

So be it. I don't think we're exactly getting mega bucks for him as things stand anyway.
Personally I'd prefer to get £40-50m from him this summer, reduce our wage bill by £10m and use that to fill one of the gaping holes in our squad.

But then again I wanted us to do the same with Lingard last year and the same with Pogba 2 years ago.

gajender

Personally I'd prefer to get £40-50m from him this summer, reduce our wage bill by £10m and use that to fill one of the gaping holes in our squad.

But then again I wanted us to do the same with Lingard last year and the same with Pogba 2 years ago.
And who is paying that for him we would be lucky to get £30 million for him with the form he has shown in last two years .
Both United and Rashford need to be realistic in their demands if they want to part ways in summer otherwise they are stuck with eachother till Rashford's contract runs out .

wolvored

We have too much dross to shift and some will go due to no contract left anyway, for the board to let Rashford go I think. That is unless some foolish team puts a 60-70 mill bid in, which I think would peak the clubs interest. Only 2 clubs, Newcastle and PSG, would put those numbers up, I think. Would Rashford move to Newcastle for football reasons?

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
If we wait next year, it would be too late because no one will pay big enough. The choice should be giving him new contract now or move on. He doesn’t deserve a new deal.
Yeah but we wouldn't get a big fee for him this Summer anyway because he's in bad form and on 200k a week.

We don't need to give him a new contract. Just trigger the one year extension.

SER19

86% want the sale of a local player and youth product. Unheard of. If that doesn't cause rashford to rethink who he's allowing to guide him and his 'image' then he's more pampered than it appears. Time to refocus on becoming the best player he can be

finneh

And who is paying that for him we would be lucky to get £30 million for him with the form he has shown in last two years .
Both United and Rashford need to be realistic in their demands if they want to part ways in summer otherwise they are stuck with eachother till Rashford's contract runs out .
I think if Newcastle or PSG were in for him the price would be in the £45m region.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I think moving him on will probably be beneficial for all parties. Don’t know the exact reasons for his drop in form but conditions at the club seem pretty toxic right now and he’s been a part of that.

CM

Nobody will pay that money for him.

This squad has also been so poorly assembled that there are at least three or four positions that need addressing before we can even think about replacing Rashford, probably more. We just aren't going to get all of that done in one summer.

Telsim

Now is the absolute perfect time to sell. We can get 50M for him now and use it to get a replacement this summer. And he might benefit from a change of scenery. Next year he might just become unsaleable and it will be yet another failure of the club to cash in when we could.

Pickle85

Given the sort of money he'd demand i can't see us getting anything like 50 million for him at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.