Rashford - New contract or sell?

What to do with Marcus Rashford...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcelinho87

If we must offer him a new contract it has to be for less than what he's currently on, do not offer him any sort of improvement on that rumoured 200k.
That is incredibly unrealistic though, nobody ever anywhere takes pay cuts. Unless there is some other incentive to do so.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Give him a new 6 year contract with an option for a further year and make him the clubs top earner

Just for the meltdown in here

scottser

if we have a one-year option to extend then we should exercise that and renegotiate on his form then.

Jericho

That is incredibly unrealistic though, nobody ever anywhere takes pay cuts. Unless there is some other incentive to do so.
How much is he on though? We tend to overpay so much that a lower offer from us might still be the best offer he gets.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Give him a new 6 year contract with an option for a further year and make him the clubs top earner

Just for the meltdown in here
What a smart idea that can be translated easily to 'Do dumb stuff to own the libs', with the libs in our case being a stand-in for people you disagree with and cannot realistically argue against.

Posts like this should get you a yellow card.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
What a smart idea that can be translated easily to 'Do dumb stuff to own the libs', with the libs in our case being a stand-in for people you disagree with and cannot realistically argue against.

Posts like this should get you a yellow card.
Yep you, you're the type of individual I hope he gets a new contract because

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I get that but there is players earning 350k+ in wages with players like Sancho at United now never mind players like Ronaldo.

We can’t exactly tell Rashford to accept 100k, surely.
Than let him walk for free. He’s easily replaceable with how he’s been performing the past 2 years.

We need to revamp how we pay players and not overpay everyone who’s contract is running out. He’s being paid one of the highest in the whole league while performing like one of the worst player in it.

Standards need to be met and he’s nowhere near them.

IRN-BRUno

The Sun got themselves 3 days of Jones bashing from a made-up story, now it's Rashford's turn. I'll predict Monday for their story on Maguire.

romufc

I dont think he deserves a pay rise, maybe a new contract with no pay rise.

I know he has scored goals but I dont think he has played well at all this season, when he is deployed as the 9, we have lacked control of every game.

We need our forwards that can receive the ball back to goal and not lose it.

DonBecks

This contract extension wouldn't be like the others where undeserved contracts were handed out to really sub par players. It's clear Rashford would have value in the market if we decided to sell post contract renewal at some point. I think this is a case where you can protect an asset by renewing his deal.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The Sun got themselves 3 days of Jones bashing from a made-up story, now it's Rashford's turn. I'll predict Monday for their story on Maguire.
Can you blame them? There are people who believe every story and gives them enough clicks, they keep producing these nonsense stories.

Gavinb33

I mean ten Hag has been pretty effusive in his praise of him in press conferences recently so a new contract as long as its manager driven is not out of the question.

If he hits another 15+ goal and 10+ assist season and that would be 3 seasons in 4 where his numbers compare favorably to some of the biggest and best players in the league in his position so its not outside the realm of craziness that he gets a commensurate contract in line with his output.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Can you blame them? There are people who believe every story and gives them enough clicks, they keep producing these nonsense stories.
This.

It’s like food for the fish. They just chase after it.

bugmat

Extend current contract and see how he performs all year. Should not renew off of 3 games, and any new contract should definitely not have any significant pay rise after the past 2 years.

Frank White

I mean ten Hag has been pretty effusive in his praise of him in press conferences recently so a new contract as long as its manager driven is not out of the question.

If he hits another 15+ goal and 10+ assist season and that would be 3 seasons in 4 where his numbers compare favorably to some of the biggest and best players in the league in his position so its not outside the realm of craziness that he gets a commensurate contract in line with his output.
This is the main thing as long as the manager is okaying it then fine and like you've pointed out he seems to be in his long term plans. Preferably would like to see how the season plays out before any contract talk is happening especially considering he's going to be getting a raise on the 200k he's on now.

Rojofiam

Him and Sancho can fight for their future this season. One of them for the chop.
They are 2 completely different profiles, though.

Sancho is more of a link-up player, one that needs a good, functional system to truly be able to showcase his qualities in a team. He hasn't had that at United just yet. Put him into City, Liverpool or even Arsenal and he'd be one of the biggest stars in the Premier League. Not to mention he's had 1 full season at the club so far, that being probably the worst ever PL season in our history.

Rashford on the other hand can receive the ball on the left, and make things happen on his own. I know he's had really poor seasons recently but it's clear as day (just like with Sancho) that's he's a very, very good player. He's great as a striker against top teams as well, in games where we won't dominate possession.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
The Sun are a trash paper but this guy (Neil Custis) has proven he has sources, at times very reliable e.g. the Lukaku purchase.

So you can believe something that feels quite obvious or play to the crowd that claim no one knows anything even though they themselves cannot validate that.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Hes had 2 years of garbage followed by a couple of games where he has started to look like he is improving. Lets not get all giddy calling his recent goals a resurgence, and believing he is now deserving of a new contract blah blah.

He needs to deliver for a full season and then maybe it can be considered. This isnt prime Messi or Ronaldo we are talking about.
Replace improving with trying

Gavinb33

This is the main thing as long as the manager is okaying it then fine and like you've pointed out he seems to be in his long term plans. Preferably would like to see how the season plays out before any contract talk is happening especially considering he's going to be getting a raise on the 200k he's on now.
Agree as i pointed out if his numbers are akin to 19/20 & 20/21 a raise isnt out of the question these numbers are favourably compared to many of the best players in his position and the most likely thing is his numbers will be miles better than Sancho's who is on a lot more money already than him.

Frank White

Agree as i pointed out if his numbers are akin to 19/20 & 20/21 a raise isnt out of the question these numbers are favourably compared to many of the best players in his position and the most likely thing is his numbers will be miles better than Sancho's who is on a lot more money already than him.
As long as we're backing the manager and he's okay with the renew then i'm all for it. I know to some he's apparently easily replaced but in this market realistically how much would it cost to replace him? We paid 82m for Antony, 72m for Sancho was quoted 40m+ for Gakpo and then that's without the wages added on.

Probably safe to assume we'll be on the hunt for a new CF this year and they're not cheap so even if he does get a 50k boost on the 200k to bring his contract in line with Martial it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if he can replicate them seasons mentioned, if not activate the year and try and flog him to the highest bidder.

Quagmire Maguire

Will sum up this club perfectly handing Rashford a new mega contract after a couple of 5/10 performances for the first time in 2 years. Let’s see how he performs for at least the next 6 months..

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Him and Sancho can fight for their future this season. One of them for the chop.
Do people not understand that you need 3 top wingers to be a successful club. 3 top wingers to compete for 2 positions, to rotate based on form and fitness, to be a game changing sub, to cover for injuries and challenge each other to improve. All 3 will probably play a similar amount of games and there are plenty of games to go around.

Certain positions like GK and CB, you need "guaranteed starters" and "reliable backup". Others, like at wing, you need a group where none are guaranteed but all are top players.

bosnian_red

Ideal would be to extend him on his current wages as having a winger group of Rashford, Sancho and Antony is an excellent winger group and a group where we won't need to look at new signings for a long time hopefully. Excellent competition between the 3, and the 4th deeper depth player can be someone like Garnacho or Amad progressing, or Elanga like it is now.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
Ridiculous offering a new contract now given his existing one can be extended to 2024. The very earliest this should be addressed is after he's performed well for 6 months. A couple of well taken goals and excellent assist don't make up for the last couple of years. It's just a start.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Too early to offer him one. A couple of goal scoring games doesn’t justify it. If he can continue form until Feb/March, then club should consider it.

AFC NimbleThumb

Ridiculous offering a new contract now given his existing one can be extended to 2024. The very earliest this should be addressed is after he's performed well for 6 months. A couple of well taken goals and excellent assist don't make up for the last couple of years. It's just a start.
End of season is 2023, extend him till 2024 & you simply have another Lingard/Pogba situation.

By all means say we should sell him but thinking you extend him for 12 months & have any other outcome but him leaving is ridiculously dim.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
End of season is 2023, extend him till 2024 & you simply have another Lingard/Pogba situation.

By all means say we should sell him but thinking you extend him for 12 months & have any other outcome but him leaving is ridiculously dim.
Ridiculously dim? Wow, that dim? Just as well that's not what was said. By the way, what are Saturday's lottery numbers given you know what happens in the future. Dear oh dear.

AFC NimbleThumb

Ridiculously dim? Wow, that dim? Just as well that's not what was said. By the way, what are Saturday's lottery numbers given you know what happens in the future. Dear oh dear.
I can’t tell you Saturdays lottery numbers but what I can do is give you names of a few players whose contracts we extended in the stupid way you suggest that ended up leaving on a free.

If you think triggering his extension does anything but harbour ill feeling you’re a dumb as that response. It’s at a point of new contract or sell.

bosnian_red

"Last couple of years" - why do people insist on always exaggerating how long a player has been out of form? 2 years ago he was coming off of a spine fracture and just had a 20 goal season, and would go on to have another 20 goal season. It's 1 season. He was shit for 1 season, a season where he started off with a shoulder surgery and by the time he was back, the club was already in disarray.

"Last couple of years" - why do people insist on always exaggerating how long a player has been out of form? 2 years ago he was coming off of a spine fracture and just had a 20 goal season, and would go on to have another 20 goal season. It's 1 season
He had a poor end to 2020/21, which definitely coloured people's views. Was generally one of our best players until around February, then he tailed off pretty alarmingly.

But even then, the expectation in that 20/21 season (and this is nearly 2 years ago) was that he would continue to improve and go from 20 goals in all competitions to hitting those numbers in the league, which should be the benchmark - his best PL goal tally from open play so far is 11. For someone who's already one of our highest-paid players, you'd have expected him to improve on that. Instead he had a complete train wreck of a season last year.

Big fan of Rashford but I would definitely agree with the other poster - if he hits top gear, keeps his place in the team and keeps playing consistently well until at least the World Cup, we can talk about extending beyond 2024. Too soon at the moment.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Certainly shouldn't extend him just because of a good start to the season. There's no need, and we aren't on some sort of clock here. If he can continue to be productive for this first half of the season, then sure.

But I also have a bad feeling we'll pay him monstrous wages that quite frankly aren't warranted. It's been our M.O. and it'll cripple his resell value if we do. His profile has changed, he's not the potential superstar that many thought he might be a few years ago. That doesn't' mean he's not useful and can't help the club, but it does mean we need to be accurate in our appraisal for who he is when deciding how much to give him.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I get the reservations with Rashford, but some of the comment's here are acting like he's the only one that's been putting in terrible performances. Its been everyone, the whole squad, and to suggest not offering him a contract because he's been crap, well then we'd have no team left. He's been playing in a side terribly low on morale, no cohesion, no true identity or instructions tactically. He's basically been thrown on the pitch every week and told to win us games, certainly under Ole.

Going forward we are going to need him, he has the attributes to fit into a title winning squad, be it off the bench worst case scenario, and has shown glimpses of what he could do plenty of times over his career here. He's entering the maturity phase of his career and i expect to see him reaching a level of consistency under EtH that will see him provide plenty of goals and assists. He has a good attitude, you don't see him sulk around the pitch half-arsing attempts to press the man etc.

Offer him a contract, on slightly improved terms with good bonuses for performances and team performance, all of which should come to fruition under EtH if recent games are anything to go by, not just the results of 4 wins but we can actually see the patterns of play evolving, we know there is improvements.

What won't happen is a Phil Jones situation where he just sits on his arse and see's out every penny he's owed. If in a year or two's time Rashford still isn't performing or playing then i have no doubt he would be the first to suggest doing what Welbeck and Lingard did and leave to get the game time elsewhere. We literally have nothing to lose in backing him and i hope we do because i rate him and always have done.
Let's break this post down :

1) some of the comment's here are acting like he's the only one that's been putting in terrible performances- I'm sure you understand how bringing other player performances in to a discussion about rashford could be unproductive. His performances have been poor even in the context of a bad team.

2)to suggest not offering him a contract because he's been crap, well then we'd have no team left- This is not an argument to offer him a new contract.

3)Going forward we are going to need him, he has the attributes to fit into a title winning squad, be it off the bench worst case scenario, and has shown glimpses of what he could do plenty of times over his career here. - This is what is being debated right now. Whether Rashford offers us enough for the price we would have to pay him and if those resources would be better utilized elsewhere. He has always been a mercurial player but his last two years have been quite poor. He's has a few good games this season but it's still ridiculously early to posit that this is a permanent change.

4)He has a good attitude, you don't see him sulk around the pitch half-arsing attempts to press the man etc.- This is extremely debatable , in fact you fill find he was one of the players most criticised for sulking and doing feck all on the pitch.

5)What won't happen is a Phil Jones situation where he just sits on his arse and see's out every penny he's owed.- No but what might happen is a De Gea situation where we have a mediocre player on very high wages who we cant really shift and are stuck with for the next 5 years.

6)We literally have nothing to lose in backing him- Of course we do, it's all about the opportunity cost. There is a very strong argument that Rashford has underperformed his last contract and now we are considering giving him a long term deal when we aren't even sure he is a permanent starter. No way he remains our striker in the long term and he will be competing with Sancho for that left wing spot.

Having said all that I understand some fans that adore Rashford and as an academy lad we all have a special connection with him. It would be great if he performs really well this season and gets the new deal however based on the evidence we have I believe it is too early to commit either way. See where we are after the world cup, if he doesn't even make it there then the club have the stronger negotiating position. If he does then that means he's been balling and we'll happily pay a little over the odds for one of our own.

SAFC-RED

Supports
Sunderland
I would give it a few months - if the form continues then fine - at this stage 2 swallows don't make a summer

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Negotiate less for a new deal, if he refuses sell him at the best offer available, use the said fee gotten from the Rashford sell, go in and get Gkpo. I'm sure Gkpo would take a wage of around 120k a week on a 5yr deal.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Its good to see him do better this season but I don't see him being worth the cost of his wages. Will most likely be another bad decision we have to live with for years (if we renew)

Todd

Any week now Rashford will become the 22nd player in United history to reach 100 goals, and he's only just turning 25 this month.

I don't think he has performed at his full potential in recent years but he does seem to be in the mood this season and I think he has been a bit unfairly judged.

Maybe what we are seeing is ETH really making a positive difference for the lad behind the scenes.

At any rate it certainly seems like him and Martial are capable of winning us games nowadays so if this run of form keeps up I hope he does stay on.

Status
Not open for further replies.