View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Like most caftards I’ve been watching football for decades and one inescapable fact of top strikers is that they don’t need perfect service to score goals. Forget the likes of Messi and Ronaldo and let’s just take two top strikers we all watched closely — Ruud and Rooney. They were not spoonfed perfect balls (not what you’re thinking!) but instead they scapped off a half chances and chances that they themselves created. We’ll see about Hojlund and I am huge admirer of him, but if he’s going to become another Ruud he cannot rely on perfect service.
Good post. Take Sterling, looked great at City because every chance was a six yard tap in, now at Chelsea, looks bang average.

Devil81

100th. Wow.
This myth he's only not scoring or having efforts is because the team aren't creating chances for him. Yes, they aren't creating chances for him enough but he isn't an out and out goal poacher so he should in theory be creating more half chances for himself than he is. Where are the half turns on the edge of the box and snap shots, where are the efforts from stupid angles that we are all cursing him for going for?

At this stage I'd be happy to see him just start letting go of a few shots to try and build some confidence.

75 million was an absolute gigantic fee for someone so raw, he's clearly got something about him but currently I'm not seeing a goalscoring striker in the making. He strikes me as someone that would look better alongside a Andy Cole style striker. Unfortunately we don't play with two anymore.

lex talionis

Perfect? He is getting zero service.
Watch the great strikers, young and old, and you don't see them whining about getting service. Hojlund isn't whining about service so no criticism of him is warranted IMO but this is a league were service for the striker is very hard to find. Defenders are very tough in this league and the amount of daylight most strikers get most of the time is extremely limited. For Rasmus to reach anything like the level of Kane or Rooney, or before them RvN, he's got to create his own chances.

Haaland would be the exception to the rule. He's given great service and he creates something out of nothing. But he's a freak and anyone who wants to compare Hojlund to Haaland and find the Dane on the short end of the stick is making an unfair comparison. Haaland is a generational talent our grandchildren will be talking about the way we speak of Maradona.

evil_geko

Watch the great strikers, young and old, and you don't see them whining about getting service. Hojlund isn't whining about service so no criticism of him is warranted IMO but this is a league were service for the striker is very hard to find. Defenders are very tough in this league and the amount of daylight most strikers get most of the time is extremely limited. For Rasmus to reach anything like the level of Kane or Rooney, or before them RvN, he's got to create his own chances.

Haaland would be the exception to the rule. He's given great service and he creates something out of nothing. But he's a freak and anyone who wants to compare Hojlund to Haaland and find the Dane on the short end of the stick is making an unfair comparison. Haaland is a generational talent our grandchildren will be talking about the way we speak of Maradona.
Haaland? He creates feck all, literally invisible if not getting any service. Like someone already said, if we had Haaland, it would be similar situation to Hojlund with our service this season.

RuudTom83

The media loving everything about United this season. Pick any player and you can write something negative.

Just ignore it!

L1nk

I'm sorry but no, you're not being fair, you are asking for miracles from this kid. Let's take the top 3 strikers in Europe's leagues last season

Harry Kane - 30 goals - Total conversion rate of 23.1% of an attempted 130 shots
Alexandre Lacazette - 27 goals - Total conversion rate of 23.5% of an attempted 115 shots
Erling Haaland - 36 goals - 36 goals - Total conversion rate of 29.3% of an attempted 123 shots

Even the best convert less then 30% of their total shots all season, and this includes players like Haaland who are spoonfed chances in the best team in the world, and you're asking Hojlund to make make every half chance count, basically create every goal himsef and feed on scraps from a dysfunctional team that barely plays him into dangerous positions.

I mean Hojlund currently has 9 shots in the league total, Rashford, Bruno, Antony and Garnacho currently have more shots per game than him, 3 of those wingers prefer to cut in and shoot 9 times out of 10 and Bruno is well off the pace of last seasons antics.

Absolutely zero use of context in this thread, just how shit Hojlund is cause he isn't prime Rooney, RVN, Messi and Ronaldo at 20 years old.

Instead of shitting on one of the positive looking aspects of this season with regards to potential future growth, perhaps lets support our young striker who's playing for Manchester United in the Premier League at 20 years old unlike players like Kane, who you listed above, who were on loan on the bench in the Championship at the same age.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He’s a very promising player. He’s not Rooney but he could be Ruud. Who is this generations Rooney? Bellingham so far? Could we have got him? Yeah if we told him this is a 3 year thing. we are going to be the best again ,we know you are going to be the best. Here’s by far the most money, you’re our new ronaldo : we get him. Same with any class young player -but only if there’s consistency in the project! Otherwise it’s just money without any plan and we all know how that’s been going

PoTMS

It's clear he's got talent but he doesn't score enough goals. I know he's young but he should be doing better. We really needed a more clinical striker alongside someone like Højlund.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He needs time to adapt to the league. Serie A to the Pl is a gigantic step up. Little things like having time and space or finding them, to get shots away change a lot at a higher level. He has a lot of great raw tools - but needs to be well coached to develop his game. He’s also playing for a club and team in depression so there’s that.

Rojofiam

Like most caftards I’ve been watching football for decades and one inescapable fact of top strikers is that they don’t need perfect service to score goals. Forget the likes of Messi and Ronaldo and let’s just take two top strikers we all watched closely — Ruud and Rooney. They were not spoonfed perfect balls (not what you’re thinking!) but instead they scapped off a half chances and chances that they themselves created. We’ll see about Hojlund and I am huge admirer of him, but if he’s going to become another Ruud he cannot rely on perfect service.
You've been watching football from decades but don't know what to expect from a poacher.

It's also funny that the best goalscorer in the world right now, Haaland is also someone that can't do shit without service.

Rojofiam

Haaland? He creates feck all, literally invisible if not getting any service. Like someone already said, if we had Haaland, it would be similar situation to Hojlund with our service this season.
I love how be brought out the Haaland example himself but it was utter tripe, because he's actually the best example to counter his own, incorrect arguments :lol: :lol:

Captmfla

You've been watching football from decades but don't know what to expect from a poacher.

It's also funny that the best goalscorer in the world right now, Haaland is also someone that can't do shit without service.
But Hojlund has not shown himself to be a very good poacher as well. He is like groomed to be a complete striker but is not an excellent poacher or target man as of now.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I am not worry about his lack of goals in PL so far this season. It’s still early time, he is still very young but looks very promising/unstoppable at times, and he has scored some good goals for us in CL. I’d say his lack of goals so far are mostly down to lack of supply.

Mainoldo

I am not worry about his lack of goals in PL so far this season. It’s still early time, he is still very young but looks very promising/unstoppable at times, and he has scored some good goals for us in CL. I’d say his lack of goals so far are mostly down to lack of supply.
No it’s on him.

Scoring against some pub teams in the UCL ain’t enough. But again this is the risk you took buying an unproven striker when you knew the team needed firepower.

Jeffthered

I feel for this young player... what is he expected to do?

He's leading the line at a massive, high-profile club and he receives no service, v few chances at all.

He's raw, but needs some opportunities. RVN was clinical beyond belief, but even he required early crosses, quality through balls.. we have none of that. I feel Rasmus may be unfairly judged. Look at his attacking team-mates:

Martial
Antony
Sancho (?)
Rashford

That's a pretty uninspired forward line. Cannot blame Rasmus for this and it will affect his game.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
There’s a reason we’ve only scored 12 goals all season

100th. Wow.
Maybe the two United players higher on that list are part of the reason? What we do know is that every team above us in the league has scored at least double our amount of goals so there are reasons for that and I wouldn’t point them at Hojlunds door.

Picking one stat for a 20 year old United player in a team beyond struggling in attack is typical Carragher. He’ll be bitter about the stick Nunez got last season.

Regarding the stick Nunez got, he looks like a player who will score goals due to his relentless movement and pace, but who will also break down many attacks due to his poor technique. Hojlund looks a far more rounded player even at four years younger and stats back this up. But Carragher ain’t going to bring them in. Let’s criticise one of Uniteds few bright spots instead.

Strelok

The media loving everything about United this season. Pick any player and you can write something negative.

Just ignore it!
Spot on.

He's still very young and raw but he'll come good in a couple years. Expect him to hit the ground running now is just delusional. Especially in a such dysfunctional injury ravaged side like us now.

Kramer

Hojlund is an excellent signing. Just need to be patient with him. We do have one of the best striking talents in the world. He will develop and score a lot.

Lyng

No it’s on him.

Scoring against some pub teams in the UCL ain’t enough. But again this is the risk you took buying an unproven striker when you knew the team needed firepower.
So despite the team not creating a chance for him in 160 minutes its all on him?
And btw people bringing up Haaland is laughable given how completely anonymous he is outside of his goals. Oh and Haaland is currently topping the league table as the player with the most misses.

lex talionis

Pure crap. Haaland is no mere tap in merchant.

lex talionis

I'm sorry but no, you're not being fair, you are asking for miracles from this kid. Let's take the top 3 strikers in Europe's leagues last season

Harry Kane - 30 goals - Total conversion rate of 23.1% of an attempted 130 shots
Alexandre Lacazette - 27 goals - Total conversion rate of 23.5% of an attempted 115 shots
Erling Haaland - 36 goals - 36 goals - Total conversion rate of 29.3% of an attempted 123 shots

Even the best convert less then 30% of their total shots all season, and this includes players like Haaland who are spoonfed chances in the best team in the world, and you're asking Hojlund to make make every half chance count, basically create every goal himsef and feed on scraps from a dysfunctional team that barely plays him into dangerous positions.

I mean Hojlund currently has 9 shots in the league total, Rashford, Bruno, Antony and Garnacho currently have more shots per game than him, 3 of those wingers prefer to cut in and shoot 9 times out of 10 and Bruno is well off the pace of last seasons antics.

Absolutely zero use of context in this thread, just how shit Hojlund is cause he isn't prime Rooney, RVN, Messi and Ronaldo at 20 years old.

Instead of shitting on one of the positive looking aspects of this season with regards to potential future growth, perhaps lets support our young striker who's playing for Manchester United in the Premier League at 20 years old unlike players like Kane, who you listed above, who were on loan on the bench in the Championship at the same age.
I actually made the point that we should not expect miracles from the kid, whom I hold in very high regard. And in fact I’ve argued recently that we should have brought him in as an apprentice under a proven striker and not put so much pressure on him by being our line striker and burdened him with expectations that cannot possibly meet this season or next. In a very recent post I expressed worry that we may have already broken him.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Hojlund needs to adapt to the pace and tactics of the Premiership to be a success. He has accrued some maturity though. He runs intelligently. I can see him be our top scorer in the upcoming seasons.

Captmfla

But Hojlund has so many goals ruled out. He would have scored even more goals now if he had good service. Truly amazing player.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
The Fulham Centre backs won’t have an easier game all season. He needs to do much much more if he’s going to be our striker.

KD6-3.7

I think he’s going to score less goals then I think anyone on here imagined.

Like he looks decent, but while playing for one of the worst performing sides in the league who create little to no chances he also isn’t doing much in terms of creating chances for himself.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's performing exaclty like I thought he would. Lots of promise, some strong flashes, some not as great stuff, and ultimately suffering for being a 20 yr old starting striker for a massive club in a league he's new too.

We really needed that additional more experienced striker to help take the burden off him... who's name isn't Anthony Martial.

Son

Good post. Take Sterling, looked great at City because every chance was a six yard tap in, now at Chelsea, looks bang average.
He’s been good for Chelsea when I’ve watched him this season. Chelsea were an utter shambles last season worse than even we are now.

They are still below us even which is suprising. Sterling has defo been better than any of our attackers though this season on the whole. He’d improve our first 11 im sure.

Mainoldo

So despite the team not creating a chance for him in 160 minutes its all on him?
And btw people bringing up Haaland is laughable given how completely anonymous he is outside of his goals. Oh and Haaland is currently topping the league table as the player with the most misses.
I didn’t mention Haaland. But thanks.

Lyng

Lots of posts about lack of supply. 37 year old Ronaldo was scoring with the same team/lack of supply.
There where much more chances created for Ronaldo in his first season, second season where he struggled, look at the chance creation.

PSV

1) Haaland matches our best player on assists and is only really beat by Bruno/Rashford on chance creation.
2) The highest scoring players generally sits highest on misses too. Very few players have more than 50% goals to missed (big) chances ratio.

2023-24:
PlayerGoalsMissRatio
Haaland111150.00%
Watkins51131.25%
Nunez41028.57%
Jackson5838.46%
Højlund0600.00%
Wilson7558.33%
Bowen7558.33%
Mbeumo6554.54%
Doucouré3537.50%
Mitoma3537.50%
Wissa3537.50%
Rashford1516.67%

There's one (well.. maybe two) fish out of water on this list, and he plays for us. Hopefully (almost) 1/3 of a season proves too small a sample come end of season, but its not looking good.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Can't be too hard on the lad when our entire attack seems to be suffering. Either every single attacking player in our team is useless, or there's a much bigger problem at hand...

Lyng

1) Haaland matches our best player on assists and is only really beat by Bruno/Rashford on chance creation.
2) The highest scoring players generally sits highest on misses too. Very few players have more than 50% goals to missed (big) chances ratio.

2023-24:
PlayerGoalsMissRatio
Haaland111150.00%
Watkins51131.25%
Nunez41028.57%
Jackson5838.46%
Højlund0600.00%
Wilson7558.33%
Bowen7558.33%
Mbeumo6554.54%
Doucouré3537.50%
Mitoma3537.50%
Wissa3537.50%
Rashford1516.67%

There's one (well.. maybe two) fish out of water on this list, and he plays for us. Hopefully (almost) 1/3 of a season proves too small a sample come end of season, but its not looking good.
Sometimes you need to actually post the stat though. Haaland matches our best player on assists sounds great, until you realize its just two assists. Alvarez has one more. Funny enough the most assists by far is Pedro Neto for Wolves.

FerociousCorgis

think the funniest thing for me is everyone slating hojlund for his premier league goals being zero when rashford has a whopping one more than him. Heck for the overall season so far hojlund has 3x the amount of goals as rashford haha. clearly the problems right now go a lot deeper than one thing/person. Goes back to the whole team has been playing like crap and been moments FC for sure.

Teja

I can't remember a single decent cross or a through ball for him to run onto. Right now he's just doing some donkey link up play and pressing.

Hard to evaluate in such an environment. He looks decent to me, not worried about him right now.