Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bondi77

Watch the video explains it all
It doesn't explain how he is worth 60mil quid.
The main thing for us will be playing against a team with low blocks and that is when we need a player with good technique and is a good finisher.

hobbers

Of course he will do a job for us. There's no chance we will sell him so yeah, he will play.
What would you do with him?

You do understand the difference between "he's still our player and only striker at the club" and "he's a good player that should be starting every game"? Because nobody is discussing the latter.
The difference is irrelevant when he cant go 30 minutes of football without injury.

Not a case of doing something with him, but the acceptance that he's not fit enough to be a top tier footballer any more. He doesnt count as a footballer in the squad, not really. More a mascot.

Strelok

The hope with Martial is for him to find some form and fitness then hopefully we sell him at Xmas to the Saudi Pro League, he gets on with Ronaldo we sell him for £25m and he gets £500k per week everyone’s happy and at 28 his body won’t suffer in a less competitive league ?
That's merely not hope that I'd call a miracle mate.

Yeah agree him going to the Saudi would be the best for all parties involved. Hope they'd fancy a move for him.

Anyway tbh I'd prefer him staying here for another year. Even in his very limited game time he was able to provide us some goals & assits and decent hold up & linking last season. That would help a bit while we ease Hojlund in imo.

SAF himself said he wouldn't expect much from a player who moved here from another the league in his first year. And imo he said that regarding established full grown up players. Let alone a 20 yo who just had his first break through season in the Serie A.

Crimson King

The main thing for us will be playing against a team with low blocks and that is when we need a player with good technique and is a good finisher.
The video's whole point is explaining why he's worth the money, both in terms of his potential and how the financial outlay isn't really that much of a risk.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
The difference is irrelevant when he cant go 30 minutes of football without injury.

Not a case of doing something with him, but the acceptance that he's not fit enough to be a top tier footballer any more. He doesnt count as a footballer in the squad, not really. More a mascot.
I am yet to be convinced that Hojlund is a better player than Martial currently. That is what matters for the manager. And that is why I expect to see Martial playing regularly when fit.
His quality is not really that much of an issue, not compared to fitness.

Martial will still feature a lot when available, whether we like it or not. We will be filling the striker gap with him and Hojlund apparently. Neither is the solution but this is what it is.

RedStarUnited

Why aren't the other big teams in Europe going for him then? Madrid need a striker and are on this rebuild of young talent.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Not to jump in, excuse me. Some of the goals I’ve seen him score are really scrappy tap ins. He uses his strength and size and gets his body across the defender or between the defender and the keeper and taps it in. Currently we really badly need that. He can play too if there’s space to run into. I believe this guy is stylistically a good fit for the PL. Whether he’s ready for Utd or not is the main issue. The point is he’ll never be ready if we don’t give him enough experience in our setup. I fancy him to get 10 in the league in his first year and to start becoming a real consistent menace as he goes into his mid 20s.

L1nk

He seems to want a particular type of player as you state. I believe Sesko was first choice but he went to Leipzig. Then we moved to this guy.

Personally I would 110% try and sign another slightly older striker like Muani or even Vlahovic if the budget allows after player sales or a takeover.

2 strikers and De Jong could well turn us into title contenders. Maybe they are waiting on Kane to run down his contract at Spurs for next summer? Who knows.

Keeping Martial for another year is terrible in my opinion. Guy should have been booted out long ago. I’d move for a mid 20’s striker earlier and forget about Kane personally.
If we sign Hojlund we're not going to sign Kolo Muani because he's already reported as the alternative, we can't give them both game time, same with Vlahovic, and they are both really expensive.

I agree we need another striker option but i'd imagine it would be a cheaper older experienced striker in their 30's to compliment Hojlund's youth

I promise you De Jong is likely to never happen, one because he doesn't want to play for us and two because we seem to have moved away from the style of play we would have played when Ten Hag originally wanted him. Wouldn't be surprised if we are waiting for Kane to do that, I believe he gets sold personally before that's an option but lets wait and see

Bondi77

The video's whole point is explaining why he's worth the money, both in terms of his potential and how the financial outlay isn't really that much of a risk.
Fulfilling potential is one of the biggest risks in football....the odds are not that great.

L1nk

Why aren't the other big teams in Europe going for him then? Madrid need a striker and are on this rebuild of young talent.
PSG, Juventus and Inter have been reported as interested

Juventus as a replacement for Vlahovic for example, PSG are the ones most recently interested as reported by Fab

Bondi77

PSG, Juventus and Inter have been reported as interested

Juventus as a replacement for Vlahovic for example, PSG are the ones most recently interested as reported by Fab

I will wager there will be no bid from PSG or any other club apart from us.

hobbers

I am yet to be convinced that Hojlund is a better player than Martial currently. That is what matters for the manager. And that is why I expect to see Martial playing regularly when fit.

Martial will still feature a lot when available, whether we like it or not. We will be filling the striker gap with him and Hojlund apparently. Neither is the solution but this is what it is.
He won’t feature because he won’t be fit, end of story.

As an aside Martial was absolutely woeful when he played. Comparably as shit as Weghorst. Injuries have clearly robbed him of all his pace, his agility and his desire to run at people and there’s nothing left. Weghorst has a higher top speed.

Real Name

I underlined the crucial part.

Crimson King

Fulfilling potential is one of the biggest risks in football....the odds are not that great.
Yeah guess we should never have signed Ronaldo, Rooney or DDG when they were all still young players with potential. Just sign ready made stars like Di Maria, Pogba and Lukaku, because they always prove their worth?

All transfers are risky, you win some you lose some, but if you knew anything about United's history then you'd know that risking it all on talented young players is what most of our success is based on.

Lyng

I will wager there will be no bid from PSG or any other club apart from us.
Rasmus is a huge United fan so I wouldnt be surprised if he has informed other parties that as long as United are in for him thats where he will want to go.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He won’t feature because he won’t be fit, end of story.

As an aside Martial was absolutely woeful when he played. Comparably as shit as Weghorst. Injuries have clearly robbed him of all his pace, his agility and his desire to run at people and there’s nothing left. Weghorst has a higher top speed.
Absolutely true. He is half the player he used to be at his peak, yet to be seen if Hojlund is better - that's the point.

Martial had a terrible season but still somehow managed to get 17 starts last season (1440mins). Belief he will not feature is wishful thinking, we will need him.
I underlined the crucial part.
Like above

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Rasmus is a huge United fan so I wouldnt be surprised if he has informed other parties that as long as United are in for him thats where he will want to go.
I think so too. Imagine your boyhood, dream club is interested in you and they have a massive gap in their team in the position you play in. It's not like he'd be coming here to be back up, it's the perfect opportunity for him.

OmarUnited4ever

Yeah, only two are "actual" club executives(co-chairmen) the others are shareholders and board members of the PLC, they are not involved in the club's day to day business.
You would think folks on the caf will know these basic stuff, it's widely reported that Joel is the one who okays major transfers, Avram is also involved in some capacity but not as much as Joel, and as you mentioned they are Co-Chairmen, the rest of the glazers are just board members/shareholders and are not involved in MUFC in any way, shape or form.

Then Jacobs says it needs all 6 Glazers to approve every transfer :lol:

Bondi77

Yeah guess we should never have signed Ronaldo, Rooney or DDG when they were all still young players with potential. Just sign ready made stars like Di Maria, Pogba and Lukaku, because they always prove their worth?

All transfers are risky, you win some you lose some, but if you knew anything about United's history then you'd know that risking it all on talented young players is what most of our success is based on.
It seems like with the players you mentioned your history does not go back too far but just to clarify with the players you mentioned;
Rooney was as close as a certainty to succeed in football that I have seen, Ronaldo had big big potential ad De Gea was first choice at a very good Atletico as a teenager.
Odds on the three succeeding were pretty good if you know anything about football.
Our history is based on bringing young players through but not necessarily splashing big money on young players as we have a couple at the moment that still have to step up to the plate.

Crimson King

It seems like with the players you mentioned your history does not go back too far but just to clarify with the players you mentioned;
Rooney was as close as a certainty to succeed in football that I have seen, Ronaldo had big big potential and De Gea was first choice at a very good Atletico as a teenager.
Odds on the three succeeding were pretty good if you know anything about football.
Our history is based on bringing young players through but not necessarily splashing big money on young players as we have a couple at the moment that still have to step up to the plate.
Rooney only had 15 goals to his name before he signed for United. He only really hit the headlines at Euro 2004. There were still plenty of people on this forum that thought £28m was too much and were scared he'd flop. That was basically the same as spending £50m+ in the current market.

We signed Ronaldo as a 17 year old for over £12m in 2003... That was huge money then! People were still calling him a 1 trick pony and saying we should flog him for what we can get until he really started firing in the 06/07 season.

DDG had only played two seasons of first team football at Atletico before we signed him to replace VdS, arguably one of our best GK ever. We paid a then British record fee for a GK. Atletico also weren't that good then, think they finished about 7th in his first full season.

The reason they had a greater chance of succeeding than Højlund was the fact we were the best team in England then and SAF was our manager. If they were joining tomorrow, I don't think it's crazy to think that they'd have just as good a chance of fulfilling their potential than Højlund has of fulfilling his here.

Also, I tried to pick recent examples, but we can go back further. We signed a 23 year old Roy Keane for a then record transfer fee, even though there was no guarantee he'd be an immediate starter with Ince and Robson already at the club. We signed him because of the potential he'd shown.

We've spent plenty of money on potential, none of it was guaranteed returns, so I don't see why you're being such a misery guts when we're about to do it again on this Danish lad.

Bondi77

Rooney only had 15 goals to his name before he signed for United. He only really hit the headlines at Euro 2004. There were still plenty of people on this forum that thought £28m was too much and were scared he'd flop. That was basically the same as spending £50m+ in the current market.

We signed Ronaldo as a 17 year old for over £12m in 2003... That was huge money then! People were still calling him a 1 trick pony and saying we should flog him for what we can get until he really started firing in the 06/07 season.

DDG had only played two seasons of first team football at Atletico before we signed him to replace VdS, arguably one of our best GK ever. We paid a then British record fee for a GK. Atletico also weren't that good then, think they finished about 7th in his first full season.

The reason they had a greater chance of succeeding than Højlund was the fact we were the best team in England then and SAF was our manager. If they were joining tomorrow, I don't think it's crazy to think that they'd have just as good a chance of fulfilling their potential than Højlund has of fulfilling his here.

Also, I tried to pick recent examples, but we can go back further. We signed a 23 year old Roy Keane for a then record transfer fee, even though there was no guarantee he'd be an immediate starter with Ince and Robson already at the club. We signed him because of the potential he'd shown.

We've spent plenty of money on potential, none of it was guaranteed returns, so I don't see why you're being such a misery guts when we're about to do it again on this Danish lad.
Yet again, Keane at Forest under Clough was a stand out and Dalglish was severely pissed off when Roy turned his back on him to come to us and Robbo was on his last legs anyway.
I am not being a misery guts mate, I just don't think from what I have seen that this guy warrants the price that his club reportedly want for him....I thought the same about Sancho and Antony but who knows????
We might get lucky with this kid.

doomy20

Bullshit unfortunately. In times of big oil money, loyalty or admiration for a club means zero.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
This is a poor excuse not to go after a player. It’s been widely reported Juve want him. Madrid have players that can play up front and are probably signing Mbappe.

doomy20

Yet again, Keane at Forest under Clough was a stand out and Dalglish was severely pissed off when Roy turned his back on him to come to us and Robbo was on his last legs anyway.
I am not being a misery guts mate, I just don't think from what I have seen that this guy warrants the price that his club reportedly want for him....I thought the same about Sancho and Antony but who knows????
You were right with both it seems. Not even worth half the money they cost us, especially Sancho.

Eplel

"Remember the name, Wayne Rooney" was in 2002. Everyone knew about him after that.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The people complaining are not giving options apart from lazy ones like Kane or Oshimen.

Crimson King

I think my general point still stands. Nothing is guaranteed.

Wrecking ralf

Given we have signed one and may sign another midfielder this window. Bought a keeper which since DDG had left was essential. Even if we only sign one more player this window and it’s a young striker. We’ve still improved the squad and hopefully removed some more deadwood. Hojlund would also only be taking the place of Weghorst too, and I’m pretty sure even at 20, he’s a vast improvement up front. We have an a good selection of wide player available no so Rashford playing centrally more after again this year won’t be too much of an issue. We will also have many games to play Hoijlund up too too and see how he does in this league. People need to stop worrying about everything so much.

RedRover

Find it incredible that it is the case.
I don't personally.

We're desperate for a 20 goal a season forward to take the pressure off Rashford. This lad may well be the answer but he's an unknown quantity. He's another Sancho or Anthony. Perhaps even more of a risk given his relative inexperience.

We're lacking goals so if we're kicking on next year, he'll need to contribute. Huge pressure on him if he comes in.

Evidently we're hamstrung either in terms of FFP or available funds so there may be limited options. Ten Hag should be trusted, but I can understand fans getting concerned seeing the club taking another punt on a young player with potential, given the numerous failures we've had in recent years.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You would think folks on the caf will know these basic stuff, it's widely reported that Joel is the one who okays major transfers, Avram is also involved in some capacity but not as much as Joel, and as you mentioned they are Co-Chairmen, the rest of the glazers are just board members/shareholders and are not involved in MUFC in any way, shape or form.

Then Jacobs says it needs all 6 Glazers to approve every transfer :lol:
Based on the roles of board members the other Glazers are more likely at the bottom when it comes to involvements behind the vice-Charimen, the CFO and various independent board members who have actual jobs with the club. Which is perfectly normal, multi millions spending aren't the responsibility of a single person.

alexthelion

We need a goal scorer. We are not in a position where we can buy multiple Antonies and hope one turn our world class unfortunately.
Which guaranteed goal scorer is available that we can affrd?

You keep saying we need a goal scorer, so who is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.