Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Castia

Of course he is for us. There aren't any World Class strikers available. So we either sign a B-rate striker who ultimately isn't good enough for us or put our faith in a young player who potentially could be.
That's been my argument though I'm all for Rasmus joining as a squad player. No 20 year old coming to the PL especially a striker should be guaranteed a 38 game season he will take time to settle in and just doesn't have the experience

City did it right last season they signed Haaland and Alvarez, the latter is second choice but still gets plenty of game time his development isn't effected at all.

Having Rasmus and Martial next season as striker options and the 'we need a striker thread' will still be rampant.

Remember the geese

That's been my argument though I'm all for Rasmus joining as a squad player. No 20 year old coming to the PL especially a striker should be guaranteed a 38 game season he will take time to settle in and just doesn't have the experience

City did it right last season they signed Haaland and Alvarez, the latter is second choice but still gets plenty of game time his development isn't effected at all.

Having Rasmus and Martial next season as striker options and the 'we need a striker thread' will still be rampant.
Then it becomes a question of who can we sign in addition to Højlund that is currently better than him? There is no Haaland available. You're forced into paying big money for someone who is less than stellar. I'm not so sure that we are going to spend circa £150m on strikers this window anyway.

We need an rvn

You must be on the wind up here. Haaland would have gone for £150m plus on the open market.
Absolutely, but he didn't. He went for what was his release clause stated. The same summer Sadio Mane went to Bayern for €32m, whose average per season in the PL was over 20 goals whilst at Liverpool, Lewandowski for €45m.

My point is there's no way we should place an opening bid of €60m for a 20 year old who played 1 season in Seria A and scored 9 goals in 32 appearances in the Italian league (9 goals with Sturm Graz in the Austrian league the season before). My point was just the (probably made up number) opening bid is crazy given his achievements so far. I'd happily pay €40m + add-ons for him, but I don't want us overpaying massively like we did with Antony

Baxquux

From a crap source in the Mail.
yeah, I'm sure they'd love 86m, but there's no chance he gets sold for that. Might be a good idea on the part of the club nevertheless not to brief that you're no onger pursuing other high-profile options if you want to keep the price manageable (which is different to briefing that you won't pay 'over odds')

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
He's simply not for us then

We aren't in a position to develop a starting striker we need goals.
In a lot of ways, right now is as good a time as any to develop a starting center forward; we are by no means in a do or die situation, and success (or lack thereof) does not hinge on a single player.
  • Manchester City are clearly at least a tier above us according most metrics — so there are not a lot of realistic title-winning expectations. We can afford to be slow-and-steady with our approach (with a long-term view of squad reconstruction) if top, top players are not available for the position.
  • Bruno is a vastly experienced creator by this point, Rashford is in or close to his prime and has been scoring at a good clip, Antony should be good for 10 goals or so even if he does not improve from his maiden campaign, Garnacho is an impact-maker from the bench — so the burden will be distributed.
  • Something like 12 goals with encouraging hold-up play, diligent pressing and so forth should constitute a good first season; if all goes well, within a couple of years, the player could kick on as a consistent long-term goal scorer (i.e., the best possible solution).
Kane would be ideal with the next 3-ish years in mind of course (well, not ideal, but the best and most guaranteed-to-succeed option that might be available), but if we can't get him, I would much rather develop a young center forward with top potential (whether Højlund belongs in this category is up for discussion) than acquire and subsequently persist with a rather uninspiring, experienced player who is not and will probably never be a top center forward (as that's the conservative option).

TsuWave

£86M? feck off

play Rashford centrally and start Garnacho on the left

feck it, play Mctominay as striker instead

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Solksjaer joined a United team that had Cantone, Cole and McClair, he wasn't expected to be the main striker, huge difference to be joining now with Rashford who isn't really a CF and Martial, Højlund may very well be a top striker in years to come but to expect him to jump in to our team and be successful is asking a lot
I’m expecting him to jump in the team when the coach thinks is appropriate and hot 10+ goals in his first season. I think that’s a fair expectation

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I’m expecting him to jump in the team when the coach thinks is appropriate and hot 10+ goals in his first season. I think that’s a fair expectation
Given ETH's track record so far at United with young players he'd not be starting too many games then, which is fine, but if that means playing Rashford or Martial as the main strikers then we're in trouble

Borninthe80ts

For me he is he has the characteristics that we need to be able to be flexible and rotate up front and be competitive. It would be unfair to him and the team to expect that he would be our main goal getter next year if he was to come but as has been said if he came with another hungry or experienced striker I’d be happy.

As much as I like a silky finisher I like the robust and physical nature of his play and as much as Wout is derided I think Ten appreciated his effort and I think this boy can provide the same. Pressure from the front and harass the opposition.

romufc

I just dont get how this works? I thought he had a release clause?

How can they ask for 100m Euros for someone who has played 1 season and its not like he scored 30 GA either.

An absolute joke.

Zed 101

I just dont get how this works? I thought he had a release clause?

How can they ask for 100m Euros for someone who has played 1 season and its not like he scored 30 GA either.

An absolute joke.
Have not seen anything about a release clause anywhere, they can ask what they want because they own his contract

zaafi

He's simply not for us then

We aren't in a position to develop a starting striker we need goals.
He's already quite a big upgrade on Weghorst, and we're not really competing for the title or CL next year anyway.

Besides, there are not exactly a lot of strikers to choose from. There is Kane, but paying £100m+ for a soon-to-be 30 year old isn't the best transfer. Osimhen is gonna cost more than that, and is he even that good or a good fit for us? He lacks in every aspect except goal scoring and work rate, and this season was his first actually scoring a lot of goals.

Castia

He's already quite a big upgrade on Weghorst, and we're not really competing for the title or CL next year anyway.

Besides, there are not exactly a lot of strikers to choose from. There is Kane, but paying £100m+ for a soon-to-be 30 year old isn't the best transfer. Osimhen is gonna cost more than that, and is he even that good or a good fit for us? He lacks in every aspect except goal scoring and work rate, and this season was his first actually scoring a lot of goals.
But Weghorst wasn't a starter either we need a ready made striker before we look at developing someone over the coming years

L1nk

Again, it’s a trash tier source from the Mail so I wouldn’t believe a word of it, Romano has already said around 60mill euros

skc_18

I disagree. I think we are one starting CF , one starting CM away from competing in league. We can do with a CB as well because of Varane injury record ,but still Varane , Martinez, lindelof and Shaw is good enough for competing in league.

ROFLUTION

I can sort of understand them if the price is true and if there's no release clause. They can just wait for another season and then use him for 1 season more + maybe get 70-90m.

If he develops he can help them reaching Champions League too, which will also be worth many millions.

Dolf

I can sort of understand them if the price is true and if there's no release clause. They can just wait for another season and then use him for 1 season more + maybe get 70-90m.

If he develops he can help them reaching Champions League too, which will also be worth many millions.
But if he stops developing or gets a big injury clubs might move on to the next big thing.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
£86M? feck off

play Rashford centrally and start Garnacho on the left

feck it, play Mctominay as striker instead
Yes! I was wondering when the ‘McT at centre forward’ thread would get some airtime, it’s slightly earlier than I expected but I’m here for it

L1nk

Its the same nonsense report with the same no name journalist from this morning , far more reliable journalists have said between 50-60

Baxquux

If it happens, and he seems like the best compromise option, then it'll be mid-price but with add-ons, like more expensive Diallo (or, Martial form Monaco, back in the day), so you could see mid 40s but going up to 70 if he wins CL, wins Ballon D'Or, reaches certain number of appearances etc.

Valencia Shin Crosses

You can say "we need goals" all you want it doesn't make the perfect striker suddenly appear. City is a terrible example as they signed the best striker in the world at a prime age. Well, he's not available now, and neither are the closest things to him.

Castia

You can say "we need goals" all you want it doesn't make the perfect striker suddenly appear. City is a terrible example as they signed the best striker in the world at a prime age. Well, he's not available now, and neither are the closest things to him.
Theres actually multiple available we just don’t have the money

We can buy Rasmus now and throw him in at the deep end and I’ll guarantee we’ll buy a ‘top’ striker next summer anyway because he’s simply not ready yet. So in theory we’d waste 2 summer budgets getting the top priority position we need.

The City theory is still the best one, they needed a striker and went and bought the best available. We need a striker and are going for an untested 20 year old kid his best goal season thus far has been 10.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Theres actually multiple available we just don’t have the money

We can buy Rasmus now and throw him in at the deep end and I’ll guarantee we’ll buy a ‘top’ striker next summer anyway because he’s simply not ready yet. So in theory we’d waste 2 summer budgets getting the top priority position we need.

The City theory is still the best one, they needed a striker and went and bought the best available. We need a striker and are going for an untested 20 year old kid his best goal season thus far has been 10.
So you'd rather us drop 150m on Kane or Osimhen? Because those are the only options of "top strikers". And Levy isn't selling Kane to us for less. I don't disagree we need two strikers but you don't seem to grasp that the situation in the striker market is different this summer than in past summers.

Castia

So you'd rather us drop 150m on Kane or Osimhen? Because those are the only options of "top strikers". And Levy isn't selling Kane to us for less. I don't disagree we need two strikers but you don't seem to grasp that the situation in the striker market is different this summer than in past summers.

I generally would yeah

We have around 120m budget plus sales right? selling Maguire (25m), Henderson (30m), Elanga (15m), McTominay (30m) will bring in around 100m or so.

220m budget id spend 130m on Osimhen, 60m on Costa, Rabiot (Free) leaving us 30m or so towards a defender maybe

Much better window than Rasmus and Mount we’ve filled 2 of our most needed positions with 2 of the best prospects in Europe.

USREDEVIL

I generally would yeah

We have around 120m budget plus sales right? selling Maguire (25m), Henderson (30m), Elanga (15m), McTominay (30m) will bring in around 100m or so.

220m budget id spend 130m on Osimhen, 60m on Costa, Rabiot (Free) leaving us 30m or so towards a defender maybe

Much better window than Rasmus and Mount
I'm with you. Top striker, top goalie, another journeyman defensive mid. Our defense is already solid. Bring in Amad. I think our midfield needs more but if we can keep Casa from too many red cards i think we'd be in business.

Ibi Dreams

I don't think we're going to get nearly as much as that from sales. Some of them won't get sold and the others won't go for as much as you think

Of course we'd all like to sign Kane or Osimhen, but the reality is that we probably can't do that. Hojlund is a bit of a gamble but seems worth it, to me. The way he plays and his skillset is something we've been crying out for, even if he's raw and might not score a lot right away

Status
Not open for further replies.