Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Do you think most are assuming we are going to spend 160mil on two strikers?
If they are they are in cuckoo land :houllier:
Only if you take those prices at face value. I guess we will see.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

It's not just about selfish or unselfish mate, it's about skillset there too. Rashford is not a provider, because it's not in his skillset not because he's selfish (although he is a bit of that too). Rashford isn't Grealish and Grealish isn't Rashford.

For example I'm not saying Osimhen is selfish, but he's clearly the kind of striker who shoots on sight and is more adept as the finisher of the team, as opposed to someone who brings others into play like Kane. A striker who likes to play on the shoulder (like Rashford) instead of drop deep, or a striker who's more likely to take a shot than eye a pass, is going to lead to diminished output from Rashford. And it has nothing to do with instagram unfollows and pettiness.

And Rashford scoring less might be all good so long as we're better as a team for it, it's a team sport, but it's not certain. There's no point in transferring Rashford's goals to a #9 if only for Rashford to regress to 5 goals a season again. We'd be back where we were.
I think we're pretty much in agreement. Our starting LW and RW are prone to shooting, which is fine as long as our starting striker links up well with them. As much as it pains me to say it, that's what made the Salah-Firmino-Mane frontline so effective. That's one of the reasons why I'd prefer Kane over Osimhen as he's a creator as well as a goalscorer. I don't know enough about Hojlund to comment on what his linkup play is like, but I assume Ten Hag knows what he's doing.

cyberman

It's not just about selfish or unselfish mate, it's about skillset there too. Rashford is not a provider, because it's not in his skillset not because he's selfish (although he is a bit of that too). Rashford isn't Grealish and Grealish isn't Rashford.

For example I'm not saying Osimhen is selfish, but he's clearly the kind of striker who shoots on sight and is more adept as the finisher of the team, as opposed to someone who brings others into play like Kane. A striker who likes to play on the shoulder (like Rashford) instead of drop deep, or a striker who's more likely to take a shot than eye a pass, is going to lead to diminished output from Rashford. And it has nothing to do with instagram unfollows and pettiness.

And Rashford scoring less might be all good so long as we're better as a team for it, it's a team sport, but it's not certain. There's no point in transferring Rashford's goals to a #9 if only for Rashford to regress to 5 goals a season again. We'd be back where we were.
Rashford has the same amount of assists as Grealish this season and Rashford doesn’t have Haaland to pass to.

zaafi

Rashford has the same amount of assists as Grealish this season and Rashford doesn’t have Haaland to pass to.
Another way of looking at it is expected assists per 90, where Grealish is in the 88th percentile and Rashford 13th.

Bondi77

Well we aren't signing a RB now apparently, and reports seemed to suggest that even CB wasn't much of a priority either so... might not be outside the realms of possibility
A CM ,CB and Erik recently said he wants De gea to stay but he may not be number one tells its own story so that is how I see money being spent plus one striker.
Obviously nothing is impossible especially under new ownership but some scenarios are more likely than others.

cyberman

Another way of looking at it is expected assists per 90, where Grealish is in the 88th percentile and Rashford 13th.
Why would you not look at actual assists though? Surely your stat has nothing behind it when Rashford has 30 goals behind his assist number?
Rashford just shoots more because he’s an inside forward and he’s better at it than Jack. The assists record just shows Rashford doesn’t lag behind in those responsibilities as well. We just need a striker who can make a fecking run in the box, show a little bit of movement to turn a so-so ball into a goal.

Erik the Red

Probably. But he'd still be only one of 3 players that can play CF. You don't rely on any individual one. Least of all your 3rd striker.
Four actually: Rashford, Martial, Hojlund and I can't name the fourth. I think it will be tough to get anyone to take Martial off our hands, and we could go with these four for this season, and try again for Kane on a free next summer when Martial's contract is up. Then, when Kane is being phased out, we go for another young striker, maybe Ferguson, Sesko, etc. Slightly underwhelming if we don't get Kane + Hojlund this season (and Martial out), but I wouldn't be shocked if Levy holds out...

Before anyone tells me that Rashford and unnamed are wingers not CF, ETH has the dutch habit of total football, getting players to be flexible, as per his use of Shaw as a LB / LCB.

zaafi

Why would you not look at actual assists though? Surely your stat has nothing behind it when Rashford has 30 goals behind his assist number?
Rashford just shoots more because he’s an inside forward and he’s better at it than Jack. The assists record just shows Rashford doesn’t lag behind in those responsibilities as well. We just need a striker who can make a fecking run in the box, show a little bit of movement to turn a so-so ball into a goal.
Bruno has only 8 assists which is less than Maddison. Who is the better creator?

cyberman

Bruno has only 8 assists which is less than Maddison. Who is the better creator?
I’m not getting your point.
I’m not saying Rashford is a better creator than Jack, I’m saying he doesn’t lag behind in that department.
Your stat just tells me Maddison is very creative himself which I’m sure everybody knows.

zaafi

I’m not getting your point.
I’m not saying Rashford is a better creator than Jack, I’m saying he doesn’t lag behind in that department.
Your stat just tells me Maddison is very creative himself which I’m sure everybody knows.
My bad, apologies. I misread your post!

Mainoldo

I like him but I don’t like the price. Not for what we would need him for next season. Let’s hope we negotiate a Martial type deal if he do pursue this.

mancsarered

How does the potential/price combination of Hojlund compare to Evan Ferguson?

Legendary

Can we please stop using "games" as some kind of argument? A "game" does not mean that the player has finished 90 minutes. It doesn't mean that he's even started the game. It means that he's had some contribution to the game in terms of minutes. This can be as many as a full game, and as little as a few minutes.

Hojlund has 15 goals and 7 assists from 2,468 minutes across all competitions. If you add up all the minutes played it's the equivalent of just over 27 full matches. That's 22 direct goal contributions in 27 full games. That's not bad for a first season in Serie A.
Quoting this so more people see it.

I think Hojlund would be a fantastic signing, and he has all the tools be a great striker.
Him, along with Costa from Porto would be my muppet signings of the summer, get Min-Jae, and a solid CM like Rice and it would be a great transfer window strengthening the spine of the team.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yes please. Loving the early signs of this window. Hojlund would be a fantastic signing, only 20, at a very good level already, and looks absolutely perfect for the prem. Think he has it in him to be a complete striker, nice technique, powerful runner, and has the frame to develop aerial ability which often comes with age.

bosnian_red

How does the potential/price combination of Hojlund compare to Evan Ferguson?
Evan Ferguson isn't obtainable this summer so you'd have to pay a PL feck off price which is significantly higher than anywhere else. So you're talking over 80m. Hojlund is probably max 50m.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Who pissed on your cornflakes this morning? You're on a rampage across the threads. :lol:

Why does this logic not work for this signing? If Ten Hag (a top manager) wants him, he must rate him.
We obviously wouldn't have signed a young Harry Kane then.

Big Andy

Bloke
I've just watched a youtube compilation of his goals and skills from this season. The lad looks rapid, skilful and can finish.

He scored the goals in the 6 yard box that we don't seem to hardly ever score.

I'm all aboard. Especially as he's a United fan and would jump at the chance.

dinostar77

So in theory it would be this guy plus an experienced striker?

Do we really need two strikers? Especially if you know who comes back into the fold.

bosnian_red

One of the big plusses for him is his mix of technique, being able to play with his back to goal, ability to move with the ball, and his the movement off the ball. He has a mix of technique and speed and physical prowess that it's just perfect for a striker. Haven't watched many full games of his but the little bits and the videos I've seen just look to me like a potential elite, complete striker who doesn't have a specific weakness. A back of my mind problem I had with Osimhen was he was more a battering ram poacher, didn't contribute much in build up or with his back to goal but had just pure goalscorer written all over him. Hojlund looks more rounded like a Lewandowski or a Benzema (not as good of course,bbut then again, Lewandowski was doing nothing at that age).

massey

Something about this player that makes me want him at United,great age,fast and knows where the goal is will be a future star imo need to pick him up before his price doubles etc.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Harry Kane scored 5 goals aged 20.
And he was far from the only top center forward to have a somewhat underwhelming scoring record at that age.
  • Højlund (Serie A and Coppa Italia): 9 goals in 1800 minutes
  • Eto'o (La Liga and Copa del Rey): 13 goals in 2350 minutes
  • Suárez (Eredivisie and KNVB Cup): 11 goals in 2500 minutes
  • Ibrahimović (Eredivisie and KNVB Cup): 7 goals in 1400 minutes
  • Cavani (Serie A and Coppa Italia): 5 goals in 1900 minutes
The prodigious goalscoring exploits of Håland and Mbappé (i.e., historically significant exceptions to the norm) seem to have redefined folks' expectations.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Either sign someone who managed to score 20+ goals a season from top European leagues or a talent who scored stupid amount of goals from lower tier leagues. He is someone who is somewhat in between. We need goals, if we sign him he cant be the only CF.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.

Do we really need two strikers? Especially if you know who comes back into the fold.
Martial needs to go, so yes two strikers are needed. You know who had issues at centre forward when times were good, even in the miniscule chance he plays again it would be on the right. That would provide a goal output on the right if Marcus isn't available on the left.

That being said, there are no senior strikers on the market, so I have no idea what the thinking is. Maybe Thuram on a free?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
If we can sign him and another class striker then that would be great business. Him on his own isn’t enough.

We need an rvn

Absolutely we need two strikers, look at City with Haaland and Alvarez. Rashford plays his best football cutting in from the left, and Voldermoort played on the right of a front three most of the time if my memory serves correctly. I don't remember seeing him excel as a striker

So you're looking at Rasford / Garnacho - New Striker(s) - Voldermoort / Antony / Sancho which is an insane array of talent

bosskeano

his hold up play is already better than Martial and Wout.....instant upgrade
his movement is better than Martial and Wout....instant upgrade

only negative is price and how that impacts getting a #1 striker and another top CM.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'

We always had at least 2 strikers under fergie. Obviously that’s because we played 2 upfront. But I think 2 ST is essential so we can rotate depending on form and injuries. Plus they’ll spur each other on to be better. And I think if the person your talking about comes back then he’s better on RW.

Fionn Devoy

Exciting talent and a good backup striker for now, but he's not good enough to lead the line for us yet so hopefully he won't be our only striker signing.
i think next season would be a good one for a development striker in our season, if we want to challenge for the title we’d want to be spending 200mil+
it’s a pity we don’t have a half decent experienced striker to nurture someone like Hojlund

Fionn Devoy

We always had at least 2 strikers under fergie. Obviously that’s because we played 2 upfront. But I think 2 ST is essential so we can rotate depending on form and injuries. Plus they’ll spur each other on to be better. And I think if the person your talking about comes back then he’s better on RW.
realistically can’t see it happening but signing two strikers would be brilliant

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Is he a goalscorer? Only 8 league goals for Atalanta this season.

bosnian_red

And he was far from the only top center forward to have a somewhat underwhelming scoring record at that age.
  • Højlund (Serie A and Coppa Italia): 9 goals in 1800 minutes
  • Eto'o (La Liga and Copa del Rey): 13 goals in 2350 minutes
  • Suárez (Eredivisie and KNVB Cup): 11 goals in 2500 minutes
  • Ibrahimović (Eredivisie and KNVB Cup): 7 goals in 1400 minutes
  • Cavani (Serie A and Coppa Italia): 5 goals in 1900 minutes
The prodigious goalscoring exploits of Håland and Mbappé (i.e., historically significant exceptions to the norm) seem to have redefined folks' expectations.
Per 90 stats show a 1 in 2 striker already though, 87th percentile in non pen xG this season in Serie A, got 5 goals in 2 Denmark games this year in his first 2 starts, only recently turned 20. Strikers at his age like him progress quickly. Copenhagen to Sturm Graz to Atalanta and now possibly to United over like 2 years. And just the eye test shows a potential complete, elite striker. Left footed too, dunno why but I always feel like they have a higher top level.

bosnian_red

Is he a goalscorer? Only 8 league goals for Atalanta this season.
Just under 1 in 2 per 90 minutes despite just turning 20 in Feb. Scored 5 in his first 2 Denmark starts this year. He's shown he can score with both feet and with his head already.

Status
Not open for further replies.