Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief123

As exciting as he looks, I worry if he is our number 1 striker. It would be a big gamble. But to be fair anyone coming in to replace WW is going to look sensational. He only has to score 1 premier league goal to be an improvement.

Irwin99

He can play wider too because of his speed but you'd be wasting a lot of his attributes by playing him there, he won't be any better than the wingers we have
Thanks. There's a school of thought that sometimes it's useful for young strikers to play on the wings or a bit deeper to ease the goal scoring burden and get games. I remember United playing the likes of Rooney and Welbeck on the wing for different reasons.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Thanks. There's a school of thought that sometimes it's useful for young strikers to play on the wings or a bit deeper to ease the goal scoring burden and get games. I remember United playing the likes of Rooney and Welbeck on the wing for different reasons.
That was mainly because we already had a #9 type striker, we definitely don't have that at the moment

L1nk

That was mainly because we already had a #9 type striker, we definitely don't have that at the moment
Pretty much, that and Hojlund's main strengths are well.. his strength and his holdup play, of course he has explosive pace too but I don't think all his attributes combine to anything other than playing that hold up typical number 9, even though he can play the wing effectively I think you'll be wasting him. In my opinion it's like playing Cavani or Rooney on the wing, sure you can do it but I think we all know their best place was upfront. Also as STL says, we pretty much have no number 9 so where better to get the minutes that he needs

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Pretty much, that and Hojlund's main strengths are well.. his strength and his holdup play, of course he has explosive pace too but I don't think all his attributes combine to anything other than playing that hold up typical number 9, even though he can play the wing effectively I think you'll be wasting him. In my opinion it's like playing Cavani or Rooney on the wing, sure you can do it but I think we all know their best place was upfront. Also as STL says, we pretty much have no number 9 so where better to get the minutes that he needs
I'll be honest and say I know nothing about this guy, unless he's Haaland Mk II though I can't see a 20 year old with less that 100 professional games and 20 something goals being the main striker for a club like United

DevTheRed

If we’re paying that much for him I can only see us picking up either a loan or a free for our first choice striker. Wouldn’t be against it as long as we get two in.

L1nk

I'll be honest and say I know nothing about this guy, unless he's Haaland Mk II though I can't see a 20 year old with less that 100 professional games and 20 something goals being the main striker for a club like United
I don't either yet, but there is a possibility he could hit the ground running if he's given the opportunity, his rise has been pretty incredible considering Copenhagen didn't even want to give him a chance 18 months ago and since then he's worked his way into the conversation of being a striker at United, so whilst he isn't elite tier yet make of that what you will. I think it's unfair to compare him to Haaland, I think that comparison comes mainly from him being Nordic and Blonde and has a similar sounding name - personally I think it's unfair to compare anyone to Haaland because he's a phenom, how many elite strikers have you seen play the game that has been doing his kind of numbers at his age and younger? He's a phenom, normally players develop slower than that. At Hojlund's age even Harry Kane was doing nothing, he was on loan scoring a pittance of goals, until he was given that one chance at Spurs and boom the rest is history. I'm not saying that kind of thing will happen with Hojlund but he has the attributes of an elite striker, and clearly the recruitment team and ETH recognise that.

The likeliest scenario at this point (if this is all true, about Kane, Osimhen etc) is that Hojlund will probably be signed first, because we're not the only club after him, and then we'll probably spend a bit more time trying to sell players and such and either spend more again on a similarly priced forward, or an older one in his 30's that can provide something if Hojlund needs to be bedded in more

L1nk

Honestly i'd probably see it as more 40mill + addons to make it the 60 mill euro's offer, that's if this is even true

Edwards6

If we’re paying that much for him I can only see us picking up either a loan or a free for our first choice striker. Wouldn’t be against it as long as we get two in.
Think there's more chance of Martial being the other striker, be surprised if we can sell him

Dominos

plus Thuram on a free would be a big upgrade on where we have been
Have we even been linked with him at all?

Would be crazy to me if we don't try when we're in need of 2 strikers and have so many positions to fill and a limited budget.

croadyman

Have we even been linked with him at all?

Would be crazy to me if we don't try when we're in need of 2 strikers and have so many positions to fill and a limited budget.
Yeah the lack of links to Thuram when he's a free agent is annoying to say the least

RedDevilQuebecois

Please No. If you watch la liga regularly you would know that he is an extremely limited striker and misses chances for fun. Other than 1 season, he’s as prolific as weghorst.
This. En-Nesyri looked like a total donkey in the World Cup with his Lukaku-esque misses too.

croadyman

Please Utd make sure you sign someone experienced who can take pressure off him

Tarrou

Now it's been reported we've ended Kane pursuit, it really looks likely it will be Hojlund and a cheaper more experienced forward
as we need a GK and midfielder I think it's likely Hojlund is the only striker signing

we'll play Rashford there which also allows us to play Garnacho more

Hojlund will get some games and Martial is still around and pretty much unshiftable

croadyman

as we need a GK and midfielder I think it's likely Hojlund is the only striker signing

we'll play Rashford there which also allows us to play Garnacho more

Hojlund will get some games and Martial is still around and pretty much unshiftable
The only way we don't need to sign experienced striker is IF Erik wants to bring back the unmentionable one into the fold

Baxquux

The only way we don't need to sign experienced striker is IF Erik wants to bring back the unmentionable one into the fold
Reading between lines in his responses to press questions, ETH clearly wants the player back now that 'personal circumstances' have changed and charge dropped, but they don't want to announce any decision until it becomes responsibility of new owners who can be saddled with any blowback. Since new ownership hasn't been confirmed, neither ETH nor player seem to have been told anything concrete, which itself is impacting planning, although briefings are that senior staff not involved in coaching just want to push it down the road 12 months by loaning him out.

Tarrou

I think he does yeah

but I expect it won’t be next season, I think we’ll loan him first then try to bring him back the following year claiming he’s a changed man or some other such bollocks

estel_manutd

My read here is that we are conflicted about his potential but don't want to miss out like we did with Haaland.

L1nk

I think he does yeah

but I expect it won’t be next season, I think we’ll loan him first then try to bring him back the following year claiming he’s a changed man or some other such bollocks
I also don't know what people are expecting if that player comes back next year, he's going to be mentally and physically different with no match sharpness at all, he cannot be counted on in the slightest

criticalanalysis

I'm guessing we have a good relationship with Atlanta due to the Amad transfer...and also we pay big bucks.

Seij

From an ignorant non-Atalanta watcher: Is he really that big of a deal or how much of all this hype is from him being Scandanavian whose name sounds like Haaland? His goal statistics don't seem all that mindblowing for a striker.

RopersReturn

Would love to sign him, but I just don’t trust our recruitment to get their @rses into to gear fast enough, and we’ll end up missing out again.

Unam333

From an ignorant non-Atalanta watcher: Is he really that big of a deal or how much of all this hype is from him being Scandanavian whose name sounds like Haaland? His goal statistics don't seem all that mindblowing for a striker.
Didn't notice that. So he's Haaland lite?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
When you see some all touch vids or specific match highlight vids it's clear hes very very raw and not near ready to lead our line.
There was a Danish football expert on Stretford Paddock saying the same thing.

klsv

I'd honestly rather pay a bit more for raw potential instead of getting another stop gap striker.

Castia

The sort of striker you buy when you already have an established starter

Not sure he’s ready to play every week and that’s what we need at the moment

Strelok

According to an article I read yesterday ETH and most of the senior players would welcome him back. And a decision would be made next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.