Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemoor

No the alternative is to seek other players. You don't have to sign cheaper, you could sign more proven though for the same money
Did you read the sentence before that? Which clubs are supposedly fine with getting the same amount for a player over multiple years as they are for getting it immidiately?

Teja

For this fee I actually would have preferred Ramos or Kolo Muani, lets hope ETH has got this one right
We've been chasing this type of striker for a while now - first Haaland, then Nunez and now Hojlund. I don't think Kolo Muani matches that profile. Ramos maybe but I guess they prefer Hojlund over him?

Mas Risky

We overpaid for players because we were always hell-bent on one particular player, as if there was no other acceptable solution available. This happened because our board always tried to please our new manager, and our new manager only wanted a player that suited his strategy.

It is not really worrying for me, though, because it always happens to a club in a chasing position, especially if they haven't won anything worthwhile for a long time. Once we win the Premier League, everything will be much easier.

Giggs' right foot

So how Hojlund comes with comparable talent to Wayne Rooney.
This is fecking hilarious.
Tell me you read and comprehend at grade 1 level, without telling me. I didn’t compare him to Rooney - I took his logic of saying “one shouldn’t pay this amount for a 9 league goals player” and outlined how our two best strikers in our history literally had 9/10 league goals seasons before joining for record breaking sums.

If you don’t think he’s good then say that, maybe go wild and take a swing on what trait he should improve (would however require having seen him play, I know). But clinging onto a stat like lack of goals scored without any specific point to what it is he isn’t good enough at, just screams “I haven’t seen him play, so I’ll just focus on goals scored, despite him being young, playing for a mediocre team, in his first season in a big league).

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Nah, @simonhch nailed you to the wall and it's killing you.
:lol: Did he feck, you flying rat. His post made no sense in relation to what I’d written anyway and he was simply having a vent at people having a different opinion to him.

It was old man shouting at cloud vs Plato calmly conversing ‘pon the debating green (with me being the Ancient Greek guy).

Half of the folks in here complaining about complaining are the ones complaining the most!

croadyman

We've been chasing this type of striker for a while now - first Haaland, then Nunez and now Hojlund. I don't think Kolo Muani matches that profile. Ramos maybe but I guess they prefer Hojlund over him?
Yeah have been looking for one for ages and still don't know the truth of why we didn't get Haaland from Molde for £4m

Tell me you read and comprehend at grade 1 level, without telling me. I didn’t compare him to Rooney - I took his logic of saying “one shouldn’t pay this amount for a 9 league goals player” and outlined how our two best strikers in our history literally had 9/10 league goals seasons before joining for record breaking sums.

If you don’t think he’s good then say that, maybe go wild and take a swing on what trait he should improve (would however require having seen him play, I know). But clinging onto a stat like lack of goals scored without any specific point to what it is he isn’t good enough at, just screams “I haven’t seen him play, so I’ll just focus on goals scored, despite him being young, playing for a mediocre team, in his first season in a big league).
It’s even more apt when in all honesty, the vast majority of posters have likely never even seen the lad play a full 90 minutes, so are basing way too much on his goals scored tally.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Whats the excuse this summer for overpaying here then when there is stability now?
In reality, we overpay a lot because we have poor negotiators and a DOF who does not have exceptional relationships with deal makers around Europe.
We also overpaid for Mount by the way, but I won't even get into that one.
There's no excuses, it's about creating a structure that will then lead to developing a play style that correlates to the modern reality. Where we develop a team from back to front that not only attacks as a collective unit but also presses and controls the game out of possession. All the players we've signed thus far fit into the plan imo.

As far as overpaying is concerned, big clubs overpay and will carry on overpaying. Barcelona, Real Madrid, Liverpool, Chelsea, arsenal have all over paid on players in the last few years alone. Hojlund's fee is £60m with £4m add ons with rest being difficult to achieve add ons. So it's a similar fee to what Arsenal paid to Chelsea to sign Havertz for £60m + £5m in add ons. And if we do end up paying the difficult to achieve add ons then that will mean Hojlund has been a success.

I'm looking forward to the season and how the team potentially develops with the players we've signed and i'm also hoping we sign another midfielder who can occupy a deeper midfield role. If there's people who want to feel upset that the club has overpaid on Hojlund then please vent your frustration because it doesn't affect me due to me being happy with how things are developing thus far. The biggest concern wfor me was the type of direction we were going into as far as developing a play style is concerned. And thus far the moves that have been made make a lot of sense imo as far as improving our in possession potential and also out of possession potential.

Last edited:

Djemba-Djemba

There's so many on here who do nothing but fecking moan and complain about Utd all the time.

I don't get why they got into football, it seems to bring them nothing but unhappiness.

Abraxas

Then you should also know that the club doesn't have to sign who the manager want when the money doesn't make sense. E.g Antony last season (when the club could have sourced other options)
Make sense according to who? Erik ten Hag, the recruitment team, and the people writing the cheques that have a closer eye and ought to have more concern for the banality that is 10-15 million in the coffers seem to think it makes sense.

The fact they reasoned it makes sense doesn't mean they don't also think we overpaid. That's a distinction to consider. Clubs will overpay when they think they have reason to do so because sometimes the bigger picture is more important than reaching an ideal figure. Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't.

Why might we overpay? Availability of strikers. Whether alternatives on the list represent any better value than Hojlund and whether any cost saving is worth it compared to getting the best choice. Perceived suitability to the clubs style. The feedback from the player and his personality. Age and improvement. There are loads of things they'll be weighing up that might, just might be more important than the saving that so many think we should have made.

evil_geko

So how Hojlund comes with comparable talent to Wayne Rooney.
This is fecking hilarious.
I mean he is right, he is talking about stat merchants that ignore everything else that looks promising in lads game. Nothing hilarious about that, he is comparing situations, not two players ffs.

It is like someone compares a young lads visual style to a former star player and people come to moan "how can you compare those two players" as in ability wise, it is not that fecking hard.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This thread is funny. If the fee was 55m you’d have been over the moon. 64m is like Nooooooooooo. ETH got his man. I’m happy with that. 10 million or there - don’t really care. It’s not like we were ever getting him for 40m.

Tony247

Antony vibes here. But this case I hope he will be a better success than Antony.

We definitely should’ve waited for the now 20 year old to twat out 15 league goals next season before then paying the same amount and with much more competition for his signature.
Martial or a stop gap would’ve done this year.

Economics.

Giggs' right foot

There's so many on here who do nothing but fecking moan and complain about Utd all the time.

I don't get why they got into football, it seems to bring them nothing but unhappiness.
They go full Randy Marsh-ejaculation when they can go “told you so”. They will prefer being sour pissheads that predicted a bunch of the club’s bad calls beforehand over being proved wrong and the club thereby thriving. No joy whatsoever.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

If you think the evaluation of Hojlund is solely based on the goals, it's your comprehension that's at fault kid.

L1nk

Genuinely don’t know why people are arguing in this chat. It’s done, why waste the energy? It feels like people just want to be negative to be negative.

Let’s get behind the manager and get behind the young lad who is going to need all our support next season, the fee is not his fault and neither does it come out of any of our pockets.

Hojlund is one of us, he’s been dreaming of this since he was a kid, he’s going to give it his all and we need to nurture this, not bicker on the forum over something insignificant

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I mean he is right, he is talking about stat merchants that ignore everything else that looks promising in lads game. Nothing hilarious about that, he is comparing situations, not two players ffs.

It is like someone compares a young lads visual style to a former star player and people come to moan "how can you compare those two players" as in ability wise, it is not that fecking hard.
I'm laughing rightly at the fallacy in blindly comparing stats.

croadyman

I am the biggest moaner when it comes to performances and how the club is run,however like to think I am more willing to be patient with signings whatever I think of them

mu4c_20le

:lol: you can't just casually name drop Rooney and not expect people to think you're comparing them. If we were paying 75m for a young Mbappe no one would bat an eyelid.

Giggs' right foot

If you think the evaluation of Hojlund is solely based on the goals, it's your comprehension that's at fault kid.
Well it clearly is when the poster literally wrote that we shouldn’t pay this fee for a “9 league goals player” ffs, sport.

Giggs' right foot

:lol: you can't just casually name drop Rooney and not expect people to think you're comparing them. If we were paying 75m for a young Mbappe no one would bat an eyelid.
Well I expected people to be able to read. Apparently that was setting the bar too high…

Doracle

I am the biggest moaner when it comes to performances and how the club is run,however like to think I am more willing to be patient with signings whatever I think of them
Let’s be clear here. Most of us “moaning” about the club having its pants pulled down (again) on a transfer fee will be very patient with the 20 year old prospect we’ve just signed.

The people who will not be patient are those who actually think this is a reasonable fee and expect Hojlund to live up to it immediately. We’ve already got posts about Eric needing to deliver ffs based off the back of signing a Cf who probably wouldn’t start for any other top 10 premier league club currently.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
For this fee I actually would have preferred Ramos or Kolo Muani, lets hope ETH has got this one right
Nah not at all for me. Neither have the potential Hojlund has or are close to the perfect stylistic fit that Hojlund is. Kolo Muani plays more like a wide forward who plays centrally, but he doesn't play in a way where he is a focal point which is what we need. Ramos as well for me, haven't seen anything from him that shows he has the physical attributes to survive up top in the prem or the hold up play ability.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Let’s be clear here. Most of us “moaning” about the club having its pants pulled down (again) on a transfer fee will be very patient with the 20 year old prospect we’ve just signed.

The people who will not be patient are those who actually think this is a reasonable fee and expect Hojlund to live up to it immediately. We’ve already got posts about Eric needing to deliver ffs based off the back of signing a Cf who probably wouldn’t start for any other top 10 premier league club currently.
Come on that’s harsh!

I think lots of rival fans seem to really rate him actually, which is always a good sign imo.

Cloud7

If I'm not mistaken hes clocked higher speeds than Rashford last season. At least I read that somewhere.
Nice that’s exciting. I really wanted our next CF to be fast. It’s one of the reasons I preferred other options to Kane. Can’t wait to see Ramus in action

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Well I expected people to be able to read. Apparently that was setting the bar too high…
You are a bit dim aren't you. Goal comparison or not, Rooney was obviously a special case. That's something that goes without saying.

MrBest

I trust ETH, dont care about the fee, its not my money, I assume we know what we are doing with FFP. From what I've seen, he has good potential, it's a risk but we finally have a proper number 9, first time since RVP. I'd orefer Greenwood, but I'm excited with this guy. Has pace, good touch, balance, cam press and good fitness. Look what Hag did with Haller, I think Hojlund will get 20 in total this year. Assumption, not fact.

Doracle

Come on that’s harsh!

I think lots of rival fans seem to really rate him actually, which is always a good sign imo.
It isn’t. Go through them - admittedly he would start for Brentford currently but I was giving them Toney.

Status
Not open for further replies.