Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrcaFat

Yeah I'm already there. My excitement for an actual striker is too rife :lol:
Yay! I have to say I am pleased with all the business we’ve done. There’s an element of it seeming better than it actually is because of some of the farces of the past. But hey, glass is more than half full just now!

Brightonian

In December Real Madrid paid what has widely been reported as a €72m fee for Endrick, a 17 year old who has played 20 games in the Brasileirao, scoring 7 and assisting 1, and won't join until 2024.

Worth bearing that in mind when worrying about the fee. At the moment if you're a big, rich club, you will be charged daft prices for players.

And this is the club who, amongst the giants, is probably currently regarded as doing the best transfer business over the last couple of years.

There are different factors, of course. Madrid were motivated to pay so much (and Palmeiras empowered to demand so much) by the rampant success of similar signings in Vinicius and Rodrygo. United's motivation (and Atalanta's empowerment) came from our desperation - no fit #9 and no worthwhile cheaper prospects to choose from. But the principle is essentially the same. You can pay, and you want to, and that's more relevant than any 'objective value' the player might have.

RuudTom83

You can always compare the fee to whatever player suits your argument.

But at the end of the day it changes nothing! and United now have a recognised no.9 in the middle of pre-season. Good times.

Can't wait to see him at Old Trafford!

RedDevilRoshi

We play athletic Bilbao in Dublin on the Sunday. Surely the stronger team will play in that game?
I think the stronger side (basically the one ETH has planned for the Wolves opening fixture) will be for the Lens game. Get them to play a game together for a large amount of time (70-75 mins) at Old Trafford in prep for that Wolves match a week later on Monday. Plus an extra days rest without the need of having to travel again to Dublin after non-stop travelling across the States. Think the reserves/youngsters players will be in the Dublin game.

OrcaFat

You can always compare the fee to whatever player suits your argument.

But at the end of the day it changes nothing! and United now have a recognised no.9 in the middle of pre-season. Good times.

Can't wait to see him at Old Trafford!
Yeah, great post. We can argue about exactly how good he is and exactly how much he is worth but we’ve got a proper CF and that is beyond exciting!

tjb

United fans are negative because the Glazers have pissed away £1 billion on poor transfers since 2013.

Haaland is a silly comparison because

a) his dad and agent likely got at least £60M
b) City have 115 charges, many of which relate to paying players or staff "off the books"
I know why they are negative, but it also doesn't help the club or the team to be that way about everything.
Woodward is gone, a new team is there in his place and they have done a relatively good job so far.
Woodward's strategy was to spend big on one player in the transfer window and barely spend on other positions.
This meant that we may have had the likes of Pogba, Lukaku, Sanchez and Di Maria come in, but we were still stuck playing the likes of Jones, Smalling, Ashley Young, Mctominay, Lingard, Dan James etc.
His signings were also rather obscure outside of the high end ones - Rasmus, a 20 year old, would be the first of such with Murtough as manager that would be expected to slot in the starting xi.
This isn't the Summer of 2018 or 2020 with Woodward. We've spent to strengthen our position into the new season and attacked issues head on.

Banana Republic

If Tony Sicknote is on his way out, assuming some mug team will buy him, arguably we’ll still need another signing up front.
Are there any loanees or free agents worth considering, if another young, but cheaper prospect, can’t be found?

Alemar

When does he fly to Manchester for a medical? Any flight radar activity so far?

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
If Tony Sicknote is on his way out, assuming some mug team will buy him, arguably we’ll still need another signing up front.
Are there any loanees or free agents worth considering, if another young, but cheaper prospect, can’t be found?
Hear good things about a lad at Burnley Wouty Weghorst

the_cliff

Would people be ok with 10/12 goals from our main striker this season?
In the league he should be on at least 15. In all comps he should have Rashford numbers...

At the end of the day his job will be to put balls in the back of the net and he cost 70 odd million all of these posts that say they'll be happy with 10-15 goals in his first season is utter bollocks.

croadyman

Great, I see a few have come to complain that we didn’t buy Haaland when we all should’ve known about him in Norway.
Only because I have always wondered what the truth is behind it. There is that story we mixed up times which is just beyond amateur

Lux Thunder

I'm excited by this signing as we haven't signed a young and promising striker for a while and, although he is still raw, he has all the skill set that he needs to succeed here: pace, power, physicality, work rate, movement etc.

With our team already creating a great amount of chances and him coming here as only reliable #9, I can see him outscoring his previous record for Atalanta that is mentioned a lot here these days.

theklr

If he gets us 20+ in the season but also creates for others and unbalance the opponent, I'll be fine. 15 in all comps will be criticised. At the end of the day, he will be judged by his numbers.
And that just shows how little perspective some have. 15 goals in all comps for 20-year old that never played in the PL and had next to no time to gel with the team would be a tremendous result for him and great success for EtH.

And remember, he is a «team» CF that can create alot for the other players, so purely his own goal tally can be misleading in terms of what he brings to the team.

mu4c_20le

The over reaction is crazy
Got one of Europes hottest young strikers that another mayor player in Europe was after
50mil 60mil 70mil, who cares, you always over pay for a player unless there is a buy out clause or a the club wants rid
Kane was above budget and wages were too much

this leaves rooms to strengthen midfield as well
Doesn't feel like it though. If that were true, it wouldn't feel like an overpay.

Ace of Spades

The price is a bit high, but I am glad that we got him.

Don't really care about the price that much as we were going to spend a stupid amount no matter who the player was. Everyone knows we are desperate for a striker and can ask for silly money when we get involved.

croadyman

Please Utd try and find a cheap goalscorer (age irrelevant in this) who can take some pressure off

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Good looking prominent female jounalist.

I think you can guess what the perma online virgins of the internet have made up.
Yeah I just wanted them to admit to the absolute horseshit, and maybe on some level confront the peddeling of it and how ridiculously incel it is

Strelok

Not sure about creating for others, but he will certainly score 20 goals (in all competitions) this season. It’s more like some other players will be creating for him, and his job is easy - just position himself in the right place to finish moves off
:lol:

Dazzmondo

Martial ain't going anywhere. No club is paying him £250k per week. Next season we'll probably get our 2nd striker once his contract expires

zaafi

Doesn't feel like it though. If that were true, it wouldn't feel like an overpay.
Yes, it would, because €70m for an inexperienced player is a lot of money no matter what.

Paying €70m for a 20 year old Cavani would have you complaining too, but when you look at his career, it would have been worth it.

On a side note: what you feel about a transfer is completely irrelevant to how highly a player is rated. The fact you used that as an argument is laughable.

croadyman

Yes there is no doubt we have overpaid for him and Chelsea have picked up a bargain in Jackson,however just remember we were buying a player Atalanta didn't want to sell

croadyman

Feck me. This needs to stop right now. Haaland and Kane hybrid? it's like saying some random bloke who sings in a pub is the new Freddie Mercury.
Yeah this is exactly why Utd need to find a cheap experienced striker. The pressure on this kid is gonna be absolutely insane from media

Baxquux

Feck me. This needs to stop right now. Haaland and Kane hybrid? it's like saying some random bloke who sings in a pub is the new Freddie Mercury.
If you read the analysis, it's a bit more nuanced than that (obviously there's an element of title clickbait too, as per Twitter's incentives). He obviously isn't as lethal as Haaland or the kind of mature creator and finisher hybrid Kane is, but the analyst is talking about potential based on current attributes - more creative than Haaland, quicker than Kane etc

Fluctuation0161

I know why they are negative, but it also doesn't help the club or the team to be that way about everything.
Woodward is gone, a new team is there in his place and they have done a relatively good job so far.
Woodward's strategy was to spend big on one player in the transfer window and barely spend on other positions.
This meant that we may have had the likes of Pogba, Lukaku, Sanchez and Di Maria come in, but we were still stuck playing the likes of Jones, Smalling, Ashley Young, Mctominay, Lingard, Dan James etc.
His signings were also rather obscure outside of the high end ones - Rasmus, a 20 year old, would be the first of such with Murtough as manager that would be expected to slot in the starting xi.
This isn't the Summer of 2018 or 2020 with Woodward. We've spent to strengthen our position into the new season and attacked issues head on.
I agree. I trust Erik and think we are miles better off than under Woodward.

But I can understand why fans are cynical after 10 years (maybe 9 years) of mistakes.

The ownership / club sale delays from the Glazers also create fan discontent, anger and apathy.

Ultimately it all boils down to the Glazer leeches.

MinGin

£70m :lol:

Feck me were soon going to have some first XI of players we've signed for £70m+, Pogba's the only one that was semi successful and Maguire for about a season.

For those wondering why anyone would complain, he's very raw. Easy to be positive when you've got the dopamine hit, but a finished article he isn't. As with Antony and Sancho, I can see people quickly change their tune when they actually see him play. The kids worth about £40m (mostly for the potential), but as usual we overpay for everything and don't really get much in return for our money.

I'd much, much rather we found an extra £40m or binned Mount and signed someone genuinely good, like Osimhen or Kane. We have so many of these meh players like Sancho and Antony it's just sad at this point.
When everyone know that you need a CF badly, then the price will high up..it is a supply and demand theory. Also, the price of potential CF in recent market is insane when you have no release clause in the contract.

Also, we are still missing a midfielder to rotate Eriksen to save his leg if we all in for a big name

So, two quality players would be better than one big name player in our senario, at least we fill some depth in our thin squard.

Nero

Maybe he can handle any pressure perfectly fine. He may not be a mental midget.

Status
Not open for further replies.