Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.
United wanted him and Atalanta knew United have very few options to play up front.
It’s not even that, he had a few years on his contract and all of PSG, United and Atalanta clearly rate him extremely highly.
What incentive did Atalanta have to sell for example to PsG for 50m eur now when then could instead have kept the player for a year, benefited from that, possibly even with CL football, and then flog him for 70m next Summer?

3 clubs knew exactly what talent Atalanta had on their hands, PsG were willing to risk 50m on that potential, Atalanta were willing to lose 50m, and United were prepared to pay Atalanta what they could reasonably expect to get for next Summer if he has a massive breakout season.

Fahad Jawaid

If he has signed the contract, does this suggest he has already received his Visa and he will presumably take part in training tomorrow and ready to start or come off the bench on Saturday?

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
If he has signed the contract, does this suggest he has already received his Visa and he will presumably take part in training tomorrow and ready to start or come off the bench on Saturday?
I can't see us announcing him and starting him in same game.
Best case scenario, he plays some minutes against Bilbao.

Steve 007

Darwin’s fee was £64m after scoring 26 in 28 games.

Chelsea have signed Jackson and Nkunku both for significantly less in the same window that Utd has purchased Hojlund.

A PL proven ready to go Jesus for 50m is incredibly good business and one really shouldn’t presume that Højlund for £65m + will end up being a better signing.

Regarding ‘only City and Spurs being able to say they have a better CF’ -

Newcastle - Wilson (and Isak)
Chelsea - Nkunku and Jackson (and Broja)
Arse - Jesus and Nketiah
Liverpool - Gakpo? Nunez possibly
Brighton - Ferguson / Juao Pedro
Brentford - Toney

It’s entirely possible that actually all these are currently better CFs than Højlund.

Seems very early to make claims like that.

Especially when I almost guarantee that in the next breath after declaring him better than Jesus, Wilson, Nunez, Gakpo etc - you’ll be declaring him a ‘20 year old kid’ who we shouldn’t expect more than a handful of goals from.
I haven’t declared him better than anyone, he’s a youngster who clearly will need time to develop. I’m simply adding a quote I read which justified the price. The truth is that time will tell.
Personally I think Jesus is great but he got 11 pl goals in 26 games, Izak got 10 in 22, Gapko 7 in 21, Nketia 4 in 30.
pedro 11 in 30.
Darwin’s fee was £64m after scoring 26 in 28 games.

Chelsea have signed Jackson and Nkunku both for significantly less in the same window that Utd has purchased Hojlund.

A PL proven ready to go Jesus for 50m is incredibly good business and one really shouldn’t presume that Højlund for £65m + will end up being a better signing.

Regarding ‘only City and Spurs being able to say they have a better CF’ -

Newcastle - Wilson (and Isak)
Chelsea - Nkunku and Jackson (and Broja)
Arse - Jesus and Nketiah
Liverpool - Gakpo? Nunez possibly
Brighton - Ferguson / Juao Pedro
Brentford - Toney

It’s entirely possible that actually all these are currently better CFs than Højlund.

Seems very early to make claims like that.

Especially when I almost guarantee that in the next breath after declaring him better than Jesus, Wilson, Nunez, Gakpo etc - you’ll be declaring him a ‘20 year old kid’ who we shouldn’t expect more than a handful of goals from.
I think you need to look at what I quoted. I quoted something which justifies his price tag not something that proves he’s superior. Of course he needs time to develop.

You’ve also quoted a lot of forwards there many of whom Nketia, Gapko, Izak, Ferguson, Pedro, don’t have better stats last season.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Given that he’s a United fan and was itching for this move, introducing him before kick off at old Trafford has to be the stuff of dreams. 12 months ago he was playing for Sturm Graz.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Given that he’s a United fan and was itching for this move, introducing him before kick off at old Trafford has to be the stuff of dreams. 12 months ago he was playing for Sturm Graz.
He’s gonna be buzzing!! Only 20 years old. What a dream come true

Drz

This is clearly a Woodward deal, signing us a R9 two decades later. ffs

MUFC OK

Faster top speed than everyone in our squad.
Yeah that’s fair. Thought he looked a bit cumbersome over short distance but fast when he gets going - would think Garnacho for example is much quicker off the mark.

MUFC OK

Don’t think many people are as quick as Walker to be honest. Hojlund will be faster than most defenders in the prem though.
As said above, he doesn’t look explosive in the slightest but given 4 or 5 strides he picks up his pace considerably. Will always judge it as I see it.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Yeah that’s fair. Thought he looked a bit cumbersome over short distance but fast when he gets going - would think Garnacho for example is much quicker off the mark.
Big guys obvious take more to get going.

Steve 007

As said above, he doesn’t look explosive in the slightest but given 4 or 5 strides he picks up his pace considerably. Will always judge it as I see it.
He’s doing 100m in 11 seconds which puts him at just over 22mph, Walker is the fastest player (according to the stats) in the pl at 23mph. So in conclusion Hojilund is pretty quick and probably the second quickest player in the league.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Please let him play vs Bilbao at least? I am itching for some action like a crack addict. I want to see Manchester United again with an actual centre forward.
He will play I'm 90% he needs to integrate into the team

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
He’s doing 100m in 11 seconds which puts him at just over 22mph, Walker is the fastest player (according to the stats) in the pl at 23mph. So in conclusion Hojilund is pretty quick and probably the second quickest player in the league.
Gareth Bale as a CF if developed properly

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I haven’t declared him better than anyone, he’s a youngster who clearly will need time to develop.
But…

Only City and Tottenham can boast of having the better centre forward, which will change in the near future cus I believe in Højlund's potential.
So, you did claim that only Haaland and Kane are better CFs than Højlund in the PL.

You also added that ‘in the near future’, you think he’ll be better / as good as either of them.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
"Fast when he gets going" isn't that useful, to be honest. Lukaku was fast when he got going but it took him 10 minutes to get going.

His opportunities to eat up ground in a race with a defender over 60 metres will be rare. It's all about being quick off the mark and darting in behind.

laughtersassassin

"Fast when he gets going" isn't that useful, to be honest. Lukaku was fast when he got going but it took him 10 minutes to get going.

His opportunities to eat up ground in a race with a defender over 60 metres will be rare. It's all about being quick off the mark and darting in behind.
Hojlund is very very quick. Pace won't be an issue

Steve 007

But…

So, you did claim that only Haaland and Kane are better CFs than Højlund in the PL.

You also added that ‘in the near future’, you think he’ll be better / as good as either of them.
I think you need to re read my post. I’m sure it started with ‘I have just read this, I haven’t fact checked it’. Therefore I didn’t claim anything.

swissgenius

Only City and Tottenham can boast of having the better centre forward, which will change in the near future cus I believe in Højlund's potential.
So there are 20 players in Italy who had a better scoring output just last season but in England, it's only Kane and Haaland?

If you expect him to be better than the likes of Toney, Martinelli, Mitrovic etc. right now you really have to ask yourself what you are basing this on. Other than just pure hope.

Would you rate it similar if Liverpool had bought him?

El Jefe

The one thing that doesn't seem clear from the videos is his shooting or striking technique. I suppose we'll find out soon enough but most of the goals I've seen didn't really require too clean of a strike to score. There was one outside the box for Atalanta that looked really good though.

One of the things Kane is so good at is hitting the ball true and hard, especially from angles. This is something many strikers struggle with but the best strikers all seem to have. RVP had it and you could see it when he was 19/20 at Arsenal.

Rashford is our only forward who has a varied shooting technique, the rest are all side foot merchants and it limits your ability to score. I'm excluding MG but he has the best shooting technique at the club.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I think you need to re read my post. I’m sure it started with ‘I have just read this, I haven’t fact checked it’. Therefore I didn’t claim anything.
Who are you quoting then? Where did you read it?

Why not post it as a link / embed?

Is literally the entire thing something you read elsewhere? And if so do you disagree with the points I highlighted from it?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Watching his individual match highlights he really does look like a bit of a donkey. I wish I could get more excited. Would help if we didn’t have a near 100% hit rate on big money flops.

Steve 007

Who are you quoting then? Where did you read it?

Why not post it as a link / embed?

Is literally the entire thing something you read elsewhere? And if so do you disagree with the points I highlighted from it?
It was taken from a Man Utd fan page on Facebook, I do disagree with some of your comments and agree with others. I agree we should not over expect of a 20 year old. I also agree that we are being told we are overpaying due to Hojilunds lack of goals which isn’t an issue when compared with others and the fact we are buying potential. I don’t agree with some of those players you quoted as being better.

If we were buying proven we’d have to pay 120m for Kane who’s 30. Yes spurs will sell abroad for cheaper, 250m for Mbappe and we couldn’t afford Haaland. So actually I think the Hojilund fee is ok on paper. If he reaches his potential it’s a bargain and if he doesn’t, I’m glad the Glazers aren’t pocketing the money.

Kaos

Waiting for the meltdowns here when he doesn't score against Athletic and hearing about how we should have spent the mythical "extra £20million for Kane" or gotten Ramos instead.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
9 goals and 4 assists in the equivalent of 20 Serie A matches says he isn't. You should check out his most recent Danish game against Slovenia. Very exciting signing.
Lukaku scored 27 goals in his first season at OT. Can’t think of a better first season for numbers other than Ruud. We couldn’t get past the poor close control and first touch, which this guy is displaying in so many of the big Italian matches last season.

He’s only young so let’s hope for the best, and I’m probably scarred by so many flops so please feel free to ignore me and get excited.

I just want us to have technically exquisite, composed players as I’m sick of watching us be so wasteful. When you think about Cantona, Yorke, Ruud, Rooney, RVP they were so fecking good on the ball and at retaining the ball on top of the goal scoring numbers - that’s what we need. It’s a shame Greenwood turned out to be such a cnut as he really is a sensational technical talent.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The one thing that doesn't seem clear from the videos is his shooting or striking technique. I suppose we'll find out soon enough but most of the goals I've seen didn't really require too clean of a strike to score. There was one outside the box for Atalanta that looked really good though.

One of the things Kane is so good at is hitting the ball true and hard, especially from angles. This is something many strikers struggle with but the best strikers all seem to have. RVP had it and you could see it when he was 19/20 at Arsenal.

Rashford is our only forward who has a varied shooting technique, the rest are all side foot merchants and it limits your ability to score. I'm excluding MG but he has the best shooting technique at the club.
There was a YouTube vid with just tons of his shots from last season, he's got a very good striking technique with his left foot and can get lots of power on it and accuracy. His right foot seems average at best.

Mr Smith

I think all this talk about how his stats will be and whether he is good enough out of the gates or not glosses over what to me is still a major issue: does he/will he actually have healthy competition for the position? Even if Martial ends up staying that isn't enough to me. We don't have anyone else who is a proper out and out striker and can give him a serious run for his money.

Hate it or love it but either Greenwood is brought back into the fold and finds his old shooting boots again, or we need to bring in someone else like in the mold of a Giroud.
For better or worse, I'm almost certain Greenwood is coming back into the fold at this stage, mostly because we've left it far to late to sell or loan him and while I'm not a lawyer, I dont think we technically have grounds to terminate his contract. So I think that competition will be there...

Status
Not open for further replies.