Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zumbi

Nope, we've spent a lot of money because he has a lot of potential.
If the main goal was to transform our attack in game 1 of the season, we would've bought a more established player 4 weeks ago.

Reading all the comments here how he's so far superior to Rashford and Martial already even without a game with the group, I can only imagine the meltdown that is bound to happen....
A 34 yo Arnautovic was a more effective striker last year in the same league, would you throw him in our squad right now, expecting to be the new target man we badly need?

Hojlund has tons of potential and I really do prefer those kind of signings to the established superstar coming for their paycheck, but he's not gonna take the league by storm like Haaland. And as badly as we wish, he's not an upgrad RIGHT NOW to our striker options.
Some of you guys really need to lower the expectations.
The fee is high because he has a lot of potential. That doesn't mean he has been bought as one just for the future though. Ten Hag's comments have made it clear he is desperate for a striker now and Hojlund wouldn't have been his second choice behind Kane if he didn't think he could play the role and produce for the team this coming season.

Have you forgotten that our lack of options up front resulted in Ten Hag playing Weghorst up front for most of the second half of the season?

And what striker options? Martial is hardly ever available. Playing Rashford in the centre probably means we are playing an even younger and just as raw Garnacho on the left. Time will tell how he does, but he will play for us soon and he will play a lot.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
What I like about this signing is the fact that he'll genuinely threaten the opponent box. When we set up last season like. Rashford-Weghorst-Antony or Sancho-Rashford-Antony. It was just Rashford who carry any genuine threat to the opponent. Antony only shoots low probability shots and Sancho and Weghorst don't look to hurt the opponent at all while Garnacho tries but he's only used as a sub.
This guy will be running in behind, occupy center backs, he'll be there for the cut backs. Opponent center backs will actually have work to do preventing him from scoring and all this will be good for the rest of the team around him.
100% - the fact we finally have a striker who is going to throw himself into the six yard box will be huge. We haven't had a player of his ilk in my eyes since Hernandez - not in sense of style, but in the sense of a true goalpoacher.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Hojlund featured in some of Atalanta's pre season games.
I think @NLunited might be right. Going by how Ten Hag has integrated players he'd never worked with before, I don't expect Hojlund to start right away. I could see Ten Hag starting the season with Sancho as the 9.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Lisandro, Eriksen, Wout and Antony were in first 11 after few trainings. Only Case started slowly.
Hojlund will lead the line from day one.
The thing those 4 have in common is that they'd worked with Ten Hag before. People shouldn't be surprised if Hojlund isn't in the starting line up against Wolves.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
This place is obsessed with the idea new signings being on the bench for the first 3 months.
He isn't just a new signing. He is a 20 year old kid making a massive step up and might be eased in.

The point should be, people shouldn't be mad when they don't see him start day 1, citing his price tag. He isn't some experienced, proven player being brought in.

Cypriot

If the main goal was to transform our attack in game 1 of the season, we would've bought a more established player 4 weeks ago.

Reading all the comments here how he's so far superior to Rashford and Martial already even without a game with the group, I can only imagine the meltdown that is bound to happen....
A 34 yo Arnautovic was a more effective striker last year in the same league, would you throw him in our squad right now, expecting to be the new target man we badly need?

Hojlund has tons of potential and I really do prefer those kind of signings to the established superstar coming for their paycheck, but he's not gonna take the league by storm like Haaland. And as badly as we wish, he's not an upgrad RIGHT NOW to our striker options.
I'm sorry but our striker options last season were Weghorst and a crocked Martial - he's an upgrade on both. I don't think anyone with a brain is expecting him to score 30 goals this season but having a big, strong and fast, actual striker who can finish is an improvement. He will be inconsistent though, and that's where the patience comes in.

croadyman

He isn't just a new signing. He is a 20 year old kid making a massive step up and might be eased in.

The point should be, people shouldn't be mad when they don't see him start day 1, citing his price tag. He isn't some experienced, proven player being brought in.
Yeah I am expecting a cameo from bench,was hoping that might be on Sunday but looks like we won't see him now until Wolves

Jev

I'm sorry but our striker options last season were Weghorst and a crocked Martial - he's an upgrade on both. I don't think anyone with a brain is expecting him to score 30 goals this season but having a big, strong and fast, actual striker who can finish is an improvement. He will be inconsistent though, and that's where the patience comes in.
He's an upgrade on Martial because he'll be fitter, not better (currently). That was the point the poster was making, Højlund simply doesn't belong in our strongest starting eleven yet, and that's fine.

Cypriot

He's an upgrade on Martial because he'll be fitter, not better (currently). That was the point the poster was making, Højlund simply doesn't belong in our strongest starting eleven yet, and that's fine.
Absolutely & fair enough. I don't for one minute think he is better than a fully fit and motivated Martial, but how often do we see that :cool:

swissgenius

The fee is high because he has a lot of potential. That doesn't mean he has been bought as one just for the future though. Ten Hag's comments have made it clear he is desperate for a striker now and Hojlund wouldn't have been his second choice behind Kane if he didn't think he could play the role and produce for the team this coming season.

Have you forgotten that our lack of options up front resulted in Ten Hag playing Weghorst up front for most of the second half of the season?
Weghorst started once during the last 11 games of the season, even though Rashford was injured.
But fair enough, I'm all for giving the kid an early look but people saying he's already superior to Martial and Rashford are setting the bar too high.
They both have better stats in the PL than Hojlund in Italy which is completely fine, since he is 20yo....

ErikElevenHag

The thing those 4 have in common is that they'd worked with Ten Hag before. People shouldn't be surprised if Hojlund isn't in the starting line up against Wolves.
Eriksen and Weghorst had both never been managed by ETH prior to doing so at United.

It's a myth that he takes his time getting players integrated. He's only done so with casemiro and that was both because he was so late in the window and mctominay happened to have been in great form early in the season.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

He may well indeed be on the bench against wolves, but someone suggested not seeing him until Christmas. He will be integrated as soon as possible. The coach will wa t to be running plays with him in the side asap. It gives us more options for opening up the pitch

Posh Red

Have people actually been saying this? If so, that’s crazy talk.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think what I really like about Hojlund is what he brings to the team as far as adding pace and power, great movement and the potential to bring others into play. At 20 years old there's obviously refinement to come but I think he's going to make us even more dangerous in transition due to his pace and power along with his excellent movement which might well be his stand out attribute right now.

This is a player that will potentially scare high defensive lines due to his attributes.

MUFC OK

I think what I really like about Hojlund is what he brings to the team as far as adding pace and power, great movement and the potential to bring others into play. At 20 years old there's obviously refinement to come but I think he's going to make us even more dangerous in transition due to his pace and power along with his excellent movement which might well be his stand out attribute right now.

This is a player that will potentially scare high defensive lines due to his attributes.
Do we think he's super fast? Compared to say Akanji/Ake/Walker when facing City?

croadyman

He will certainly be in for a tough battle when facing Gvardiol,having said that he should have a few games behind him by then

L1nk

I imagine it is a case of Brexit but also being a 20 year old with only 6 caps to his name. I've no doubt he'll get one but it's probably a little more red tape than it used to be in these circumstances

Alemar

He is not just a 20 year old kid, he is a 60m full international striker. 20 years of age is already 2-3 years older than the age when a truly great attacking talent may already start to shine. Say, Pele has won his first World Cup at 17 - so 20 is more than enough to not be bothering with “easing him in”. Greenwood was 18 when he scored 18 goals in his first season, Garnacho at 18 just had a solid first season, about the same happened earlier to Rashford, Rooney was even younger when he broke through.

mu4c_20le

He is not just a 20 year old kid, he is a 60m full international striker. 20 years of age is already 2-3 years older than the age when a truly great attacking talent may already start to shine. Say, Pele has won his first World Cup at 17 - so 20 is more than enough to not be bothering with “easing him in”. Greenwood was 18 when he scored 18 goals in his first season, Garnacho at 18 just had a solid first season, about the same happened earlier to Rashford, Rooney was even younger when he broke through.
Starting for Denmark at 20 is not that exciting. Go take a look at the other forwards and they all debuted at around the same age, and also scored.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Do we think he's super fast? Compared to say Akanji/Ake/Walker when facing City?
For a 20 year old he's very fast with the added benefit of having the physicality to hold off opponents. And I think he could improve on his acceleration over the next few years.

The players you mention are very quick and are very good at defending the channels against fast players. But if you have a fast player who also has the physicality and movement along with pace, then he becomes more dangerous for fast defenders in a higher defensive line and also makes life easier for team mates who look to pick locks.

Kinky Melinky

Starting for Denmark at 20 is not that exciting. Go take a look at the other forwards and they all debuted at around the same age, and also scored.
I usually try to expect the worst so I'm pleasantly surprised. That all flies out the window after their first goal and then I become an irrational spaz, like a kid in a sweet shop.

L1nk

Numbers that I could find

Akanji top speed - 33.66 KM/h
Ake top speed - 31.20 KM/h
Walker top speed - 37.31 KM/h

Hojlund top speed - 35.97 KM/h
Rashford top speed - 35.95 KM/h

Essentially at full stride Hojlund would actually be the fastest player in our squad, albeit marginally. Walker is a bit of a speed freak but he's also 33 and unlikely to be at City for much longer, if he's even there next season

Santoryo

ripping the reward
You haven't watched him play, haven't you?

Trex

100% - the fact we finally have a striker who is going to throw himself into the six yard box will be huge. We haven't had a player of his ilk in my eyes since Hernandez - not in sense of style, but in the sense of a true goalpoacher.
Cavani had this qualities as well.

Chief123

Numbers that I could find

Akanji top speed - 33.66 KM/h
Ake top speed - 31.20 KM/h
Walker top speed - 37.31 KM/h

Hojlund top speed - 35.97 KM/h
Rashford top speed - 35.95 KM/h

Essentially at full stride Hojlund would actually be the fastest player in our squad, albeit marginally. Walker is a bit of a speed freak but he's also 33 and unlikely to be at City for much longer, if he's even there next season
To add to this, a fast striker who might not be as quick as a defender will still be more likely to win a foot race as the striker is always the first one to make a move. Especially if it’s on the defenders blind side. The defender making the move will normally be secondary and reactive. Hojlund has enough pace to trouble and beat any defender due to his movement alone.

OrcaFat

Cavani had this qualities as well.
Yeah. These type of forwards have a very aggressive attitude towards scoring. They don’t hang about in benign areas of the pitch. They might come deep or go wide to join in and link play but their instinct is to get into scoring areas as fast as they can.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

From a tactical point of view he seems like such a great addition as on face value he has everything. He’s quick, can run the channels, is comfortable with back to goal, drops deep and links play well, and is a pressing machine.

The question is how good he is at those things and how that shines / fails at the top level. But tactically, I think he appears to be a great fit as he should suit many styles.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
For someone his size his aerial numbers are absolutely appalling. I thought he'd give us an alternative option to release pressure by hoofing into him but he's terrible in air.

L1nk

For someone his size his aerial numbers are absolutely appalling. I thought he'd give us an alternative option to release pressure by hoofing into him but he's terrible in air.
I saw someone do a bit of a deeper dive on Hojlund's heading stats. Apparently he's actually okay when it comes to attacking headers/inside the box, it's as you say, his headers outside of the box as he's challenging for long balls and such that need work.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I saw someone do a bit of a deeper dive on Hojlund's heading stats. Apparently he's actually okay when it comes to attacking headers/inside the box, it's as you say, his headers outside of the box as he's challenging for long balls and such that need work.
Hopefully Big Benni McCarthy can do some work on that with him.

Devil You Know

I like this breakdown by Carl Anka.

• Kane would have been first choice
  • EtH's perfect striker would be able to hold the ball, be a target, link up, run behind, have speed, be able to finish, be a good presser
  • Hojlund ticks most of those boxes, and has the potential to tick all of them
  • His lack of aerial ability won't be too important because Rashford and Antony don't cross
  • His near post runs should work well with the wingers' propensity to drill cutbacks into the box.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.