Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrcaFat

That's not bad. Not every attempt will get a goal.

Strong left foot but weak right. Yet not hesitating to shoot with right is a a good thing.

Prolific CFs are either two footed, or one strong foot but also use another. But all of them have usually good header in them. IMO without good header a #9 is incomplete. Hope Hojlund will improve in that aspect.
Yeah there’s the odd right footer where he gets some power on it. I think he could probably become more two-footed in time.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
That's not a good look and what worries me the most about him. His decision making is severely lacking (he's dreadful with 1 on 1 with the keeper and he often runs into blind alleys when dribling). Hope I'm wrong 'cause he seems a great character and I respect his courage and determination, but unfortunately I just dont see it with him.
What are you on about? The majority of those are quality and offer exactly the kind of movement we are missing.

Tony247

That's not a good look and what worries me the most about him. His decision making is severely lacking (he's dreadful with 1 on 1 with the keeper and he often runs into blind alleys when dribling). Hope I'm wrong 'cause he seems a great character and I respect his courage and determination, but unfortunately I just dont see it with him.
I think everyone agrees that he is not a finished product. There is definitely some work to be done. How he learns and improves would be interesting to watch. Hope he has that will power in him.

CM

Darwin’s fee was £64m after scoring 26 in 28 games.

Chelsea have signed Jackson and Nkunku both for significantly less in the same window that Utd has purchased Hojlund.

A PL proven ready to go Jesus for 50m is incredibly good business and one really shouldn’t presume that Højlund for £65m + will end up being a better signing.

Regarding ‘only City and Spurs being able to say they have a better CF’ -

Newcastle - Wilson (and Isak)
Chelsea - Nkunku and Jackson (and Broja)
Arse - Jesus and Nketiah
Liverpool - Gakpo? Nunez possibly
Brighton - Ferguson / Juao Pedro
Brentford - Toney

It’s entirely possible that actually all these are currently better CFs than Højlund.

Seems very early to make claims like that.

Especially when I almost guarantee that in the next breath after declaring him better than Jesus, Wilson, Nunez, Gakpo etc - you’ll be declaring him a ‘20 year old kid’ who we shouldn’t expect more than a handful of goals from.
Hojlund is without doubt better than the likes of Broja, Nketiah and Joao Pedro. Let's not talk utter shite here.

The same Jesus who was 'incredibly good business' at £50m scored a whopping 11 league goals last season, underperformed his xG and was doing so at 25 years of age. It's easy to hyperbolise to make a point, isn't it?

tidraKS

Someone made a video of his shot attempts.

The most important thing is he gets into chances. If he has 2-3 shots at goal every game, we're fine. He should get more clinical, but he's only 20 and will improve if he works his socks off.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
The most important thing is he gets into chances. If he has 2-3 shots at goal every game, we're fine. He should get more clinical, but he's only 20 and will improve if he works his socks off.
He does seem to have a bit of a habit of hitting the goalkeeper!

Trex

The top scorers are not necessarily the ones who have the highest conversion rate but the ones with more attempts especially from high probability range. I've no doubt a player with his style will score goals in our team.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Not as clinical as I first thought but that will come.
He pretty much matches his xG which says he scores the chances he should score. If he replicates that here, that'd be a great start.

Wing Attack Plan R

This thread is off the rails in terms of expectations, honestly the longer we don't see him play the more unrealistic people expectations will get. He's a prospect but a very raw player from what I gather based on those clips I've seen. I also think he will have rough season because he seems to rely a lot on his physicality to get past defenders and play back to goal.

It's very likely all those strikers mentioned are better than Hojlund currently, but that is not why we bought him.
I hope people temper their expectations. If Hojland breaks double digits in the league, I would consider that a success. Martial got 11 his debut season , and his selling club inserted a ballon d’Or clause, which I take to mean Martial was rated a lot higher than Hojland is currently. Maybe he gets 6 or 7 like Ronaldo. Hopefully he hits the ground running. I’ve read people on here saying he should get 15-20 league goals, which sounds delusional. People will be disappointed, most likely, but Hojland is going to run his socks off like Weghorst at minimum, and should be able to pot a few of those Wout spurned. Be patient, everyone.

Last edited:

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The top scorers are not necessarily the ones who have the highest conversion rate but the ones with more attempts especially from high probability range. I've no doubt a player with his style will score goals in our team.
Yep, everyone used to bang on about what a great finisher Ruud was but honestly what made him elite was his movement, he used to find himself getting chance after chance, missing plenty but still delivering the goods.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I hope people temper their expectations. If Hojland breaks double digits in the league, I would consider that a success. Martial got 11 his debut season , and his selling club inserted a ballon d’Or clause, which I take to mean Martial was rated a lot higher than Hojland is currently. Maybe he gets 6 or 7 like Ronaldo. Hopefully he hits the ground running. I’ve read people on here saying he should get 15-20 league goals, which sounds delusional. People will be disappointed, most likely, but Hojland is going to run his socks off like Weghorst at minimum, and should be able to pot a few of those Wout spurned. Be patient, everyone.
By no means am I setting him a target of 20, but it wouldn't surprise me if he gets it. Poachers get goals in teams with high offensive output. I hope that improves for us again this season. The amount of chances he'll get from Rashford/Bruno/Mount/Antony shooting towards goal, and Hojlund sticking a foot out when its parried/saved - that could easily be 10 goals alone over the course of the season.

dedek_mraz

What are you on about? The majority of those are quality and offer exactly the kind of movement we are missing.
his movement is good but finishing and composure are not on the required level of United's no1 striker. I hope he can get some quick poacher's goals right from the start to build confidence and in the meantime work hard on his finishing with Benni. But people on here are seriuosly overestimating his current level I'm afraid. For me even Sancho as a false 9 starts over Rasmus right now. Bad planning from the club as we havent really improved the striker position for this season. Hopefully it will show to be a good deal for the future.

Last edited:

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.

That doesnt fill me with much confidence :nervous:

Those 1 on 1 misses were so bad! Doesn't appear to be very clinical with this finishing, more of a hit and hope.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

Tell you what, there's a few fluffed chances here for sure but he gets into some excellent positions throughout, looks very neat and tidy on the ball with close control.

Also looks strong, fending off defenders constantly.
We haven't had a focal point like this for a while now, this is exactly the type of player we needed.

ErikElevenHag

I'm sorry what? I could show you a video of any striker on the planet missing chances, that's what happens, as no one scores every chance they have.

That video had the opposite effect on me. He looks an absolute handful to play against, isn't scared to have a go and looks to have real good movement. If he can improve from here, he's going to be an absolute star for us.

OmarUnited4ever

I like his pace and power, could translate well into the PL and he won't be shrugged off by other CBs/FBs, not sure he does well in heading but at least he is strong and fast enough to manage ground battles.

What he needs to do is first to adapt to EtH's tactics, then improve his finishing, those are the main 2 areas he needs to work on at first.

dedek_mraz

Højlund is a big improvement on what we had last season.
I guess time will show but right now I disagreee, he is a marginal improvement over Wout as he's quicker and has better movement, but being better than Wout is a really low bar. I dont think Rasmus improves United in terms of a possible title challenge.
He's 20 yrs old for FFS !
Right to be worried, Kane was scoring 30 a season at his age. In training I mean.
exactly! He is a good prospect but undoubtedly very raw and in no way a sure thing so it is bad planning from the club to put all hopes for the season on his shoulders. He may be a hit his first season but that is very much unlikely and an unfair expectation of the lad.
I'm sorry what? I could show you a video of any striker on the planet missing chances, that's what happens, as no one scores every chance they have.
I get the point that youre making, but for me he just doesnt instill that hope, that he has "it". He should of course improve in all aspect of his game as he matures but I just dont see him as a prodigy like I see lets say Garnacho. That doesnt mean that he wont become an efficient player. But I dont see a potential for a world class player. Also, yes nobody scores every chance but his 1 on 1 with the keepers are seriously bad and that should be bread and butter for a striker.

Remember the geese

he is a marginal improvement over Wout
No, this is just plain wrong. Weghorst didn't manage a goal for us in 17 league games and only scored twice in 31 games.
I dont think Rasmus improves United in terms of a possible title challenge.
He absolutely does. He might not currently be good enough to lead us to the title, but he's a significant upgrade on what we had. Therefore, logically he should take us closer to a title challenge.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
My main gripe with this transfer is it has been done too late again. He'll be coming in with no pre-season and no time to train in the system with the squad. I suspect we'll be only seeing him off the bench for the first month of the season and if/when he hasn't scored a goal in about 100 minutes of playing time, the doom lords will be ringing their bells and crying about how we could have had Kane for just another £3.99 more than the 200 million* we're paying for Hojlund

*as reported in one of the tabloids probably

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
exactly! He is a good prospect but undoubtedly very raw and in no way a sure thing so it is bad planning from the club to put all hopes for the season on his shoulders. He may be a hit his first season but that is very much unlikely and an unfair expectation of the lad.
What do you mean "exactly"? Kane had 3 Premier League goals to his name on his 21st Birthday. He also absolutely stunk the place out at Norwich and Leicester on loan.

Not every striker that turns world class is some teenage phenom like Haaland.

ErikElevenHag

I guess time will show but right now I disagreee, he is a marginal improvement over Wout as he's quicker and has better movement, but being better than Wout is a really low bar. I dont think Rasmus improves United in terms of a possible title challenge.

I get the point that youre making, but for me he just doesnt instill that hope, that he has "it". He should of course improve in all aspect of his game as he matures but I just dont see him as a prodigy like I see lets say Garnacho. That doesnt mean that he wont become an efficient player. But I dont see a potential for a world class player. Also, yes nobody scores every chance but his 1 on 1 with the keepers are seriously bad and that should be bread and butter for a striker.

Garnacho isn't composed at all, he missed quite a lot of big chances last year for us and at the minute he also has a long way to go and a lot to improve on.

Hojlund isn't the finished article but he definitely improves us on what we had last year, how can he not? We had a sick note and wout with 0 league goals, the bar isn't high to achieve that.

From what I've seen of him his presence, movement and general play will be enough to see an improvement to overall play and if he carries on his progression he's going to be a real top striker for us and one who could lead our line for upwards of a decade.

Chief123

Some of you need to take some pills for your meltdown. Kane was stinking the place out on loan at the age of 20 with 0 goals. At the age of 21 a grand total of 3 goals.

This is a kid who looks miles better than Kane did at the same age.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

He will know himself that getting more clinical is essential to really succeed. I am fully confident that Benni can help him on that

Those 1 on 1 misses were so bad! Doesn't appear to be very clinical with this finishing, more of a hit and hope.
I think many need to dampen their expectations for this season. A lot of work to do.

Hojlund averages as many shots per goal as other better attackers, the shot compilation paints the same picture if it is done for any player.

Premier league top 20 goal scorers
RkPlayerGlsPKNPGShOpen Play shotsShots per goal
1Erling Haaland36729116109
4​
2Harry Kane30525124119
5​
3Ivan Toney206148781
6​
4Mohamed Salah19217121119
7​
5Callum Wilson183157067
5​
6Marcus Rashford17017108108
6​
7Martin Ødegaard150159393
6​
8Ollie Watkins151148483
6​
9Martinelli150157979
5​
10Bukayo Saka142128684
7​
11Aleksandar Mitrović144108581
9​
12Harvey Barnes130137272
6​
13Rodrigo131126665
6​
14Gabriel Jesus111107675
8​
15Miguel Almirón110116969
6​
16Phil Foden110114646
4​
17Roberto Firmino110113939
4​
18James Maddison10198382
9​
19Son Heung-min100108181
8​
20Alexis Mac Allister10648074
20​
21Eberechi Eze10197069
8​
22Alexander Isak10284947
6​
23Taiwo Awoniyi100103535
4​

Few random examples
RkPlayerGlsPKNPGShOpen Play shotsShots per goal
1​
Mbappe
29​
5​
24​
144​
139​
6​
2​
Osimhen
26​
2​
24​
132​
130​
6​
3​
Lewandowski
23​
0​
23​
134​
134​
6​
4​
Lautaro
21​
1​
20​
125​
124​
6​
5​
Benzema
19​
7​
12​
99​
92​
8​
6​
Hojlund
9​
0​
9​
54​
54​
6​

He averages 6 shots per goal, that's more or less same for any player except Haaland.

dedek_mraz

No, this is just plain wrong. Weghorst didn't manage a goal for us in 17 league games and only scored twice in 31 games.

He absolutely does. He might not currently be good enough to lead us to the title, but he's a significant upgrade on what we had. Therefore, logically he should take us closer to a title challenge.
We scored 58 PL goals last season. City bagged 94 goals and even if we discount them Arsenal had 88. Thats still 30 goals more and I think we all agree that for a title challenge we will need to up the ante on that front let say at least 20 goals more. The club put all the eggs in the Rasmus basket so now its on the poor lad to give us a large proportion of that and on the evidence I just dont think he will (but that is not a slight on him, as it shouldnt be expected from a 20yr old).
Some of you need to take some pills for your meltdown. Kane was stinking the place out on loan at the age of 20 with 0 goals. At the age of 21 a grand total of 3 goals.

This is a kid who looks miles better than Kane did at the same age.
A lot of players looked miles better than Kane at 20, but that is not the point. Rasmus may well become a world beater but its very unlikely its gonna happen this season.

Pretty good for a 20 year old. He gets into lots of good shooting positions and he generates a hell of a lot of power on his left foot with little backlift. He's not clinical yet but we have players like Rashford, he cant be any worse than that. 10 league goals would be a good first season.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Look at the amount of chances Lewandowski missed. Strikers miss clear chances all the time. The likes of Lewandowski create such a high amount that eventually they get a goal.

greater wall

If you see his game against Finland where he got 3 goals, he could have doubled his total if he had taken all his chances.

kettledrumhamster

I think many need to dampen their expectations for this season. A lot of work to do.
I'm cautiously optimistic. I think that video illustrates a lot of good basics - good connection, hits the target, forces the keep into a save. Composure is a natural part of maturing, if he can be more clinical one-on-one he'll be consistently breaking double digits and hopefully adding a lot of other elements to the team. Might be a bit streaky like Rashford, but honestly that would be fine. 2 streaky forwards are infinitely better than 1+ Weghorst.

Hoof the ball

Why are people pissing their pants over Hojlund's "All Shots" video? You do understand that every striker in the world will have a lot of missed chances in this kind of video, right? Even the ones who score lots!

From that video, most of the shots were on target. Most. Not half, not slightly more than half, but comfortably 3/4 of them. In addition, he hit the woodwork at least six times, so we might be talking about an even better goals per minute average if he had a little more fortune.

If he's not putting many over or wide, then that's the take home because he's constantly putting the keeper to work.

Trex

Hojlund is a big upgrade on what we had last season. Him alone will not close the gap to the likes of City and Arsenal goal output though. If we learn to progress the ball better from the back into the final third and maintain dominance over prolonged spells in-game it will help the attackers in general produce more.
If Voldemort returns and is still the same player then I'll really begin to fancy our attack and a title challenge wouldn't be outside the realms of possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.