Ravel Morrison | Sold to West Ham

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Don't think it's that premature to be honest. If it wasn't for his problems off the pitch I'm pretty sure he'd get a lot more time with the first team than he's gotten. He's turning 19 in a few months and with his incredible talent I'm pretty sure he'll be around our first team next season. If he stays out of trouble that is.
Not if the transfer muppets get there way. Cleverley, Pogba and Morrison need time to grow into the players they can become and big spending on midfielders isn't going to help them get that time.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Very exciting, cheered me up a tad following Sunday too.

Will be interesting to see if he is used here and there for the rest of the season. If not I would like to see him go to a PL side on loan in january

Hal9000

@BigRed_M: Ravel Morrison tracks back more than Patrice Evra.

Probably true.. :lol:

Crustanoid

Great that we're giving youth a chance instead of pumping in 25mil+ on each signing

Hal9000

The only way he'll go on loan is if it's near by. Very much doubt Fergie will make the mistake of sending Ravel down London way.

Sir A1ex

Was great to see him getting some time tonight. Morrison-Pogba-Cleverley :drool:
We've already seen our incredibly young defenders in action (back five with an average age of under 21 for a few matches)... now it's time to get excited about the front 6 as well:

--------De Gea----------
----Smalling--Evans------
Jones---------------Fabio
-------------------------
---Pogba----Cleverley---
-------Morrison----------
Nani-------------Welbeck
-----Hernandez---

Average age of XI: 20

Minkaro

Do we have any idea where he's going to end up in terms of his position? He looks equally comfortable playing on the wing and in the middle to me.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
We've already seen our incredibly young defenders in action (back five with an average age of under 21 for a few matches)... now it's time to get excited about the front 6 as well:

--------De Gea----------
----Smalling--Evans------
Jones---------------Fabio
-------------------------
---Pogba----Cleverley---
-------Morrison----------
Nani-------------Welbeck
-----Hernandez---

Average age of XI: 20
Please remove Evans from that. Put Jones in his position and Rafael on the right

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
No way should Ravel be in any match day squads until Galati perhaps. He needs to start getting regular minutes for the reserves and we just need to keep him down a peg or two for the moment.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Not if the transfer muppets get there way. Cleverley, Pogba and Morrison need time to grow into the players they can become and big spending on midfielders isn't going to help them get that time.
I was saying this all summer. If these two were playing for other teams then I think we'd be tracking them. With that in mind you'd think that since we already have them on our books then we will be patient and wait for them to break through. I'd bet that this was a very big part in our thinking when not blowing money on midfielders this summer. They're two top talents but for some reason this doesn't get acknowledged enough since they're already ours.

Chuffed with both their performances tonight and I think they'll be desperate for more. Anyone hat hasn't seen much of them previously should be very excited. There's already lot more to come from these two, even at this early stage.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
I was saying this all summer. If these two were playing for other teams then I think we'd be tracking them. With that in mind you'd think that since we already have them on our books then we will be patient and wait for them to break through. I'd bet that this was a very big part in our thinking when not blowing money on midfielders this summer. They're two top talents but for some reason this doesn't get acknowledged enough since they're already ours.

Chuffed with both their performances tonight and I think they'll be desperate for more. Anyone hat hasn't seen much of them previously should be very excited. There's already lot more to come from these two, even at this early stage.
It's a gamble. Buy a top midfielder and you almost guarantee quality for a few years. You give youth a chance and you take a risk on them not making it, but you continue a legacy.

I know which I'd rather with the players we have on the books.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
First time I've seen him property and he was excellent. You can see the talent oozing out of him. Can't wait to see him again.

Member 39557

I thought he looked bright and was always looking to receive the ball, regardless of his position on the pitch. The little flick he did to Berbatov in the Aldershot penalty area was fantastic. I hope he gets a lot more playing time this season.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Some nice play from Morrison. That late run by him, you just felt something would happen but I think if you have the talent and the confidence, your doing ok and I don't think we're surprised that we let him play. That's the stupid thing with football because suddenly people are excited again after Sunday and rightly so...

pillory

That's the thing about him, isn't it? He doesn't seem to give a shit
That's the thing. I've seen him retweet nasty allegations about himself a couple of times, and there's a few things you could say about how clever/insane that is, but it's a fantastic attitude to have on the pitch, I think.

mattsville

Delighted for him, he is a magnificent talent as everyone who follows the youths would know, he oozes confidence, he constantly wanted the ball and as much as you wanted to see him do his silky thing, I was more pleased to see him make a couple of pitch length dashes to cover the full back position, it was like he recognised he was in a more senior situation now and acted accordingly, very good to see that.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
TBH you don't really need a trained eye to see his talent. Its apparent to anyone who watches football regularly. He's looked a cut above in the academy. He's been patchy in the reserves but I think some of it is down to the physical element.

I think in terms of technique he has everything to make it at United. If he keeps his head down he'll be a regular in the FT in 2 years. I think technique wise he is one of the best young players I've seen in the academy.

davisjw

I liked the arrogance he had too when he was playing, he was supposed to be on the left and he ended up drifting all over the shop doing what he wanted. He even asked Berba to take the free kick right on the edge of their box and hung around even though Berba told him to get lost.
Isn't that usually a hint of a positioning problem? And doing something like that against a better team would of put a lot of needless pressure on the defense.

There's good arrogance and bad arrogance. Running about with his head up his arse, demanding things from older, more respected players does well for us fans, but won't be tolerated by Fergie and the first team.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Isn't that usually a hint of a positioning problem? And doing something like that against a better team would of put a lot of needless pressure on the defense.

There's good arrogance and bad arrogance. Running about with his head up his arse, demanding things from older, more respected players does well for us fans, but won't be tolerated by Fergie and the first team.
No I doubt he'd do the same if it was 0-0 and we weren't playing Aldershot, also let's not forget he may well have been instructed by SAF to roam. We need someone with a bit of cockiness about them, someone of the Cantona, Ronaldo ilk and I think Morrison could be a cut from the same cloth.

Interesting that he said Ronaldinho was his favourite player on twitter as this was very Ronaldinho-esque (it's not really interesting I just wanted an excuse to post this GIF :drool:):

Aint gota Kalou

We weren't against a good team where he was required to be disciplined though, we were? He was probably told to go on and get himself on the ball as he's at his best when he's roaming and picking up space.

I don't think you can use this game to suggest he lacks positional discipline, especially as he did track back a few times when we did lose the ball.

cj_sparky

I found it quite refreshing to see a player actually popping up in various positions, rather than sticking to one side or the other. He was often becoming an extra outlet in the middle rather than being isolated outwide, plus alot of our wing play was going down the right so it meant he got more involved.

He also didn't let this get in the way of his defensive duties as he really worked back well and bust a gut on more than one occasion to get back.

Not in any way comparing him, but David Silva starts wide but rarely stays there and he get touches every where. Constantly moving and popping up every where to pick up the ball and start things. Again he has the defensive discipline to get back and make an extra body.

I doubt Fergie will be dissappointed.

datura

Players like him you have to give the license to play by their instincts.

Not sure where the 'running about with his head up his arse' comes from. Odd comment :confused:

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Guangzhou Pharmaceutical F.C.
Datura's pretty much hit the nail on the head as regards Morrison. He drifted inside when he didn't have the ball, but got back into position and tracked back when he didn't. He certainly didn't play like 'he had his head up his arse'.

One of the best aspects of Morrison's game is that he has an uncanny ability to find space and drift into areas that will hurt the opposition...putting the shackles on him by telling him to stick rigidly to the left wing would be of no use to either him or us. He should be given a certain license to go where he pleases when we're attacking.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Those who watched the youth team last year will not be surprised by this showing. The lad oozes class and is very confident in his own ability. Fantastic cameo tonight.

tintedsepia

He gave a good performance. To me he was meant to be on the left but his inelligence told him that there was a gap linking midfield to attack so he basically went to play there when we had the ball but tracked back on the left when we didn't. This is intelligence.

He didn't dwell too much on the ball - he released the ball much quicker than Berbatov on some occasions! He linked player between all of the attack which is what we needed and this speeded up our overall attacking play.

He always went looking for the ball and always seemed aware i) where the space was, and ii) where his teammates were.

This was a mature performance. No doubt about that. I hope we see him given the odd 10-20 minutes at the end of games this season as I think he's ready for that. SAF will take it slow with him so as to not over-expose him or over-expose the expectations of him. In my view it is the expectations of him that could mess with his head. I think he could cope with the football itself!

ricky-romeo

a very good 20 minutes cameo from ravel.

the good thing about him is he actually looks hungry and want the ball as often as possible. his link up play is excellent and he got a very intelligent football brain.

obviously most of us know what kind of a player he is from the youth level, and he was playing against a lower league side so it is a bit too early to judge him playing at first team level but give him some more time to mature and he could be a star in the making,.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Most impressive thing about Ravel today was his composure. We know he has silky skills etc but whether that can be translated onto the Big Show was the question.

Pogba looked nervy in his first match a few weeks back but Ravel didnt look out of place at all last night.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Most impressive thing about Ravel today was his composure. We know he has silky skills etc but whether that can be translated onto the Big Show was the question.

Pogba looked nervy in his first match a few weeks back but Ravel didnt look out of place at all last night.
Alot more 'established' players looked out of place along side him, although that could be due to a lack of energy.

He reminds me of a young Ronaldo in his arrogance.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

You've just jumped to a massive conclusion...our wide left players almost always cut in, drift into 'the hole' at various points throughout the game, and are given the freedom for playmaking duties. This happens whether it's Giggs, Park, Nani or Young - you'll find them drifting in these areas throughout the game. There's every chance he was told to go out there and just express himself as he usually does, the most important thing was letting him feel comfortable in the first team.

Varun

Staff
You've just jumped to a massive conclusion...our wide left players almost always cut in, drift into 'the hole' at various points throughout the game, and are given the freedom for playmaking duties. This happens whether it's Giggs, Park, Nani or Young - you'll find them drifting in these areas throughout the game. There's every chance he was told to go out there and just express himself as he usually does, the most important thing was letting him feel comfortable in the first team.
Exactly.

We've rarely played a traditional out and out left winger since giggsy. Our left wingers always tend to cut in and participate in the middle. With the scoreline being what it was, he must have been told to just go there and express himself rather than stick to the left at all times. In any case, he did quite a bit of tracking back which was very good to see.

The flick to berba was :drool:. lets just hope he manages to get minutes in the league in games we have sewn up and becomes a regular feature in a couple of years. fantastic talent this lad.

Julian Denny

We probably saw the future central midfield last night - Cleverley, Pogba and the very impressive Morrison. Obviouisly, Cleverley we know quite a bit about and he's a good three seasons ahead of the other two. Pogba wants the ball the whole time, setting up attacks from deeper positions and pushing forward when possible. Morrison appears totally confident in his ability to do just about everything required of an attacking midfielder. He has had serious off field problems and one hopes his natural "arrogance" is confined to what he does on the pitch in terms of enhancing his performance and nothing else. The club recognises this and will do everything it can to guide him through these formative years.

It's a pity that Pogba and Morrison aren't a few years older, with the experience that brings, so that they can take their places in the first team where they are needed right now. Fergie will no doubt have to buy - at least as an interim measure.