Renato Sanches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Ah no, where you even around then?
oh dear.
Grow up.
FYI. I remember watching George Best play when I used to go to OT as a kid. Ronaldo was the first player since Best that I remember who would cause a buzz in the crowd every time he got the ball. He did that from his debut game and he was absolutely more than a one trick pony for his first 4 seasons. What an utterly ludicrous statement to make. I am embarrassed for you.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
oh dear.
Grow up.
FYI. I remember watching George Best play when I used to go to OT as a kid. Ronaldo was the first player since Best that I remember who would cause a buzz in the crowd every time he got the ball. He did that from his debut game and he was absolutely more than a one trick pony for his first 4 seasons. What an utterly ludicrous statement to make. I am embarrassed for you.
Then FYI you should remember Ronaldo being criticized for his lack of crossing and shooting in the first four years of his time at OT. He didnt really explode until 2006

Djemba-Djemba

It's a relief to see that we're already out there trying to sign players.

I assumed we were sat on our arses waiting for summer holidays.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
How can people deny that Ronaldo was massively criticized when he first joined? He was trying skills every time he got the ball and lost it on a regular basis. Loads of people criticized his end product down to the fact he lost the ball so many times. Sure you could see the underlying talent, but it could be argued the same can be said of Sanches.

Regarding the comment about the only player since Best that would cause a buzz in the stadium every time he got the ball, you're talking rubbish. Does Martial not cause that same buzz now, did Rooney not cause that same buzz as a teenager, what about good old Eric? You going to tell me he didn't either?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Hell, even Kanchelskis or Steve Coppell got people off their bums and onto feet. Exciting direct players do that. Sanches is another. He may not be the in vogue type of midfielder like Xavi or Verratti but he's going to be very good at what he does.

Tarrou

Wasn't Ronaldo player of the year in his fourth season with us? I don't think anyone was labelling him a one trick pony by that stage!

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
@ramshock is right, I vividly remember me having to defend him against hordes of Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime on here who massacred Ronaldo (and it got worse after the world cup when rooney got that red card because of him and not because of himself being an idiotic hilbilly lout) and at one point didn't care much if he'd leave after what he did to their new favorite playtoy golden boy Rewnay.

Edit: @Ramscock i mean. Taken up a new hobby prrhaps.

ti vu

Wasn't Ronaldo player of the year in his fourth season with us? I don't think anyone was labelling him a one trick pony by that stage!
The end of fourth season, he might mean the fourth calendar year (2003 to 2006)Before start of 2006-07, where people wanted to sell him because the disharmony he could cause with Rooney after WC06 and he already got problem with RVN. Rooney was rated higher. Ronaldo only shows sign of improvement in end product toward the end of 2005-06.

Nani in his first couple seasons as that frustrating overall had more end products than Ronaldo version of before WC06 (please ignore the age factor but remember the familiar with the league).

Last edited:

Tarrou

The point remains, he was criticized even though he was still developing as a player. Same goes for Sanches who is 18 by the way.
Not that much by then. You'll always get a few idiots moaning of course. The majority of fans were happy with how he was progressing, especially by 06/07 when he really stepped things up.

I'd be delighted if we could get Sanches, what he is doing at 18 is remarkable.

ti vu

SWP was even considered as good a talent as Ronaldo at some point, I remember having discussions to that effect with my friends at the time Chelsea signed him.
Some people suggested offloading Ronaldo after WC for Aaron fecking Lenon when he came out of no where and included in WC2006 squad and did look promising.

Ronaldo was also seen as one of Portuguese showboat duo with Quaresma, and there was someone said that we're better stay off Latin and Hispanic players altogether (factored in Kleberson signing)

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
When it was Rumoured that Valencia wanted to offer £20m, some fans wanted to bite their hands off.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
How do @ti vu and @Adisa k with their registration dates know so much about the embarrassing episodes of the not so glorious days on the caf. I thiught only hyper elites like myself could reminisce about them.

Adisa

How do @ti vu and @Adisa k with their registration dates know so much about the embarrassing episodes of the not so glorious days on the caf. I thiught only hyper elites like myself could reminisce about them.
I used to read the Caf for years before I had the courage to join.

Red_toad

Maybe they used to post as someone else & had to create another user account for unknown reasons :p.

I used to view the forum a lot before I signed up. Seen some epic meltdowns over various players.

Anyone remeber Emmerson who used to play for Middlesbrough a very long time ago? Reminds me a lot of this Sanches kid. Was tremendous in certain games but very hot & cold, always played well when the sun was shining.

Adisa

Maybe they used to post as someone else & had to create another user account for unknown reasons :p.

I used to view the forum a lot before I signed up. Seen some epic meltdowns over various players.

Anyone remeber Emmerson who used to play for Middlesbrough a very long time ago? Reminds me a lot of this Sanches kid. Was tremendous in certain games but very hot & cold, always played well when the sun was shining.
definitely not true. I was very young then, just 14. My mum being the strict so and so she was banned me from joining forums on the Internet. So I was only allowed to read what others were saying about my club.

ti vu

Knew him but he didn't leave any impression at time so I couldn't recall much about him.

CAF is not the only United forum, isn't it? :angel:

On serious note: Didn't have the internet or tech at home back in the days. Only browsing forum at libraries. Was so young back then and librarians often told us internet was a dangerous place:angel:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
oh dear.
Grow up.
I don't know how you can deny that Ronaldo was heavily criticized in his first years here. It probably wasn't justified, but many were frustrated with his showboating and decision-making.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I don't know how you can deny that Ronaldo was heavily criticized in his first years here. It probably wasn't justified, but many were frustrated with his showboating and decision-making.
I havent denied anywhere that he was heavily criticised. Show me where I deny that. Did you cover comprehension in English class at school?

Bojan11

Ronaldo being called a one trick pony was harsh. He definitely didn't have one trick even in his early years. Just his decision making at time like all young players do was wrong.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Surely the only issue with him is the price tag? If it was an identical story, but at 20m, we'd all be excited about buying a great potential midfield solution?

My impression of fees in papers is that they just make them up as they go, and they always get higher the longer the 'saga' goes on.

There's some truth to Woodward setting up stall with the Martial deal (which despite his great first season, is still ludicrous and something else to show just how stupid Woodward is at the football side of things) but at the same time we're the only people in at the moment. As long as its heavy on the incentives, we should be able to work something out. Let the papers print what they want - they'll do that anyway. We'll get a Guardian special like with Anderson where they try to find the worst exchange rate and just use that to make big shiny numbers.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Surely the only issue with him is the price tag? If it was an identical story, but at 20m, we'd all be excited about buying a great potential midfield solution?

My impression of fees in papers is that they just make them up as they go, and they always get higher the longer the 'saga' goes on.

There's some truth to Woodward setting up stall with the Martial deal (which despite his great first season, is still ludicrous and something else to show just how stupid Woodward is at the football side of things) but at the same time we're the only people in at the moment. As long as its heavy on the incentives, we should be able to work something out. Let the papers print what they want - they'll do that anyway. We'll get a Guardian special like with Anderson where they try to find the worst exchange rate and just use that to make big shiny numbers.
Yeah, the player is fine. At 18 years old it's impossible to put accurrate limitations to his talent and development.

Edgio

This thread is grim. Of course the price is high and it's a risk. If the scouts haven't got this one right after watching him for 20-odd games, they need handing their P45s.

Big Andy

Bloke
This thread is grim. Of course the price is high and it's a risk. If the scouts haven't got this one right after watching him for 20-odd games, they need handing their P45s.
Giving them a game console won't punish them...

dichinero

I think fans have the right to be skeptical about any transfer, especially one like this. 55 odd pages just seems a lot for an 18 year old that has not been transferred yet.
  1. Benfica are notorious for touting out their players. In recent years, we have been heavily linked with the likes Gaitan, Perez, Salvio, Garay, Talisca, Guedes now Sanches. They are clearly looking for a quick buck and look to take advantage of United's financial with every opportunity. What makes it worse is that that they never comment or deny any of the rumours, clearly driven from within.
  2. This is another transfer with Jorge Mendez behind it. It can't always be a good thing with this guy. His clients mostly cost more money than talent.
  3. The Sanches rumour started straight after we had supposedly interested in a £40m deal with 19 year old Guedes, the "new Ronaldo".
  4. The rumour is further strengthened by "we have scouted him 22 times" when it actually seems more likely that United have scouts in the Portugal that always attend games. Benfica club officials will undoubtedly take note of them and may use every opportunity to say we are in for the flavour of the month. I doubt the 22 times came from our end.
  5. The price quoted are too inconsistent and over the top for a player with half a season as a senior pro under his belt. I'm aware that he played in the B team but that league isn't as competitive as the Segunda Division in Spain, let alone the League One in England. £40-60m for a midfielder with such experience is really concerning.
  6. There is a generic view by the posters that have watched a couple of games (not Youtube) and still against the transfer; he is a physical specimen but has not shown enough to be considered among the "top 3" talents as some have claimed here or the current hype.
  7. He apparently linked to Barca, Chelsea, PSG, City, Bayern, Juventus who were not mentioned up until last week or so. Reports have even gone on to say that Pep wants him at City but has now said "United can have him"??? His only recorded comment came after the Bayern V Benfica matches.
That said, I'm in for United investing heavily in young talent but they really have to be the creme de la creme. None of the reports or what I've seen so far brings me to want him, as a fan. If we are truly in for him, my only hope rests in that the scouts are spot on with this one.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I havent denied anywhere that he was heavily criticised. Show me where I deny that. Did you cover comprehension in English class at school?
You said that he wasn't labeled a "one-trick pony" and you were very vocal about it - well, he was. He was seen by many as a player who's life's goal was to dribble and he wasn't showing enough final product (how the times change). It was probably too harsh on him, and it wasn't for 4 years, like Ramscock said, but your reaction wasn't justified.
Good grief, what complete and utter bollocks.
[/spoiler]

Also, what's with the attitude? "criticise the post, not the poster"?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
@Ramshock is correct about Ronaldo, there was even a thread on the caf discussing a Ronaldo, Aaron Lennon swap at the time.

3KDré

You never really know how well a player will play with us until they have played with us. I think he will be a good signing if it happens but I would have preferred giving our OWN youth a chance in midfield first.

Status
Not open for further replies.