Robin van Persie | 2012-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

KanieKaned

I think he looks as fit as a fecking fiddle, but it's just a case of thing not being fully fluid yet with regards to knowing the players around him.

He really does have tremendous movement. He can ghost into some fantastic positions. I was hoping the long diagonal ball from Cleverley picking him out would have ended up in the net first time but it wasn't to be.

Looks very promising though. Kagawa also looks to be the ideal partner for him at the minute, the kids talented.

DevilRed

Thought it was criminal how little we looked for him to get involved. Sometimes we really should force feed him and kagawa the ball more instead of always looking to the right flank.

Siorac

They shouldn't be surprised. It's been United's default style of play for decades, unlike their former teams.
They might have thought we were looking to evolve along with football in general. Maybe add a little variety to our attack.

Kagawa is definitely wasted with this rigid, inflexible approach we seem to have so hopefully it's going to change.

Varun

Staff
Meanwhile Peterstorey's always so bitter...
I'd be shocked if any of us here were anything different if Rooney were to join City next year.

They might have thought we were looking to evolve along with football in general. Maybe add a little variety to our attack.

Kagawa is definitely wasted with this rigid, inflexible approach we seem to have so hopefully it's going to change.
I think it'l change with time. Will have to with Kagawa in the mix, his style is different. Same with RVP if we want to make the best use of him. Cleverley is in the similar mould, him and Kagawa operating through the middle should see a lot more variety in our play.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything

How was he wasted? MoM today.

How is the approach rigid, and inflexible when we have great options through the middle as well as the wings?

Hellboy

Even if he had few touches, some of his crosses & passes were sublime (the cross for Rafael should have been a goal). World class :drool:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

How is the approach rigid, and inflexible when we have great options through the middle as well as the wings?
Sshh don't talk sense coming in between of a good ol fashioned whine.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The comments about Van Persie being peripheral just show how spoilt we've been with Rooney's workrate. Brwnded posted stat last season showing that Rooney has 3 or 4 times as many touches in an average game. Van Persie is about as involved as any other striker. It's just that Rooney does so much more.

Kind of ironic, seeing as Rooney's the one with a reputation on here as being a fat, unfit waste of space.

Siorac

Because we don't use our great options through the middle. Kagawa is a fantastic player who could do so much more than what he did today, if only the priority wasn't to get the ball out wide all the fecking time.

I very much hope we'll utilise Kagawa more; always looking for Valencia or one of the overlapping fullbacks to pump a cross in basically bypasses him. That he managed to look very good despite this is a testament to his quality but we need to give him more responsibility.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
The comments about Van Persie being peripheral just show how spoilt we've been with Rooney's workrate.
I think the fact our new star striker scored a world class goal on his debut and we're still bitching about him not doing enough should be a good enough indication of how spoiled we are.

Siorac

I think the fact our new star striker scored a world class goal on his debut and we're still bitching about him not doing enough should be a good enough indication of how spoiled we are.
It's more of an indication that we couldn't find our number nine with quality passes and crosses.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I personally couldn't care less about his performance.He scored a goal and a highly technical one at that, the rest (in terms of understanding with the teammates) will come with time.It's only been his second game, it'd be madness to have expected more

Mockney

It's more of an indication that we couldn't find our number nine with quality passes and crosses.
Tbf, I'd have been incredibly annoyed if we had found our No9 with any passes and crosses, since I'm fairly sure he wasn't even in the stadium.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
The comments about Van Persie being peripheral just show how spoilt we've been with Rooney's workrate. Brwnded posted stat last season showing that Rooney has 3 or 4 times as many touches in an average game. Van Persie is about as involved as any other striker. It's just that Rooney does so much more.

Kind of ironic, seeing as Rooney's the one with a reputation on here as being a fat, unfit waste of space.
I don't know about touches (inc headers & chest control etc) but in terms of passes - Rooney made a shade under twice as many per game as RVP last season. Your point is still correct though.

Siorac

Tbf, I'd have been incredibly annoyed if we had found our No9 with any passes and crosses, since I'm fairly sure he wasn't even in the stadium.
Meh, you know what I mean, you nitpicking pedant.

And I think that Giggs cross at the end might have been aimed at our actual number nine.

Sultan

RvP is not your traditional English centre forward. He strengths are his movement and sublime finishing.

We scored 3 goals.

KanieKaned

Thought it was criminal how little we looked for him to get involved. Sometimes we really should force feed him and kagawa the ball more instead of always looking to the right flank.
Hopefully that's the case there's times when we go wide with the ball and feck about with it passing it back and forth instead of getting to the wing and into the box as soon as possible. I want to see the strikers busting a gut to get into the box once they realise we are going to the flanks. I know Becks was a freak for crossing and that's how we best utilised him but we have good crossers in Valencia, Nani and Young who are also a lot wicker than beefs ever was and when you whip balls it causes problems for the defenders.

We will notice it soon enough Pogue, we will certainly miss his work rate only plus is at least we know Kagawa is good at hustling for the ball so in Rooney's absence there is a positive. The only thing I've always not got with Rooney and his tackling is why he doesn't seem to harass players like messi does? I'm not trying to make this some form of comparison or anything I'm just amazed at that kind of ability to pinch the ball from opposition players if you know what I'm talking about.

We all know Wazza is brilliant at working for the team but can he not get this to his game, he seems to stand off people a times. Maybe I'm loosing it I don't know. It just seems to me he could be a lot better at pinching the ball from people and catching a defence completely out of position.

Siorac

RvP is not your traditional English centre forward. He strengths are his movement and sublime finishing.

We scored 3 goals.
Yes, and his excellent movement wasn't fully utilized. He drew defenders out of position, he ghosted into dangerous areas, he made himself available... and then he was ignored as our main concern seemed to be to get the ball to Valencia who can pump a cross in. As if we had a traditional, typical English centre forward there.

I hope that with Cleverley and Kagawa in the team this will change and we'll actually try to achieve some penetration through the middle as well. Looks unlikely right now but we'd be the stronger for it.

KanieKaned

Both Cleverley and Kagawa certainly seemed to be trying to find him at times which is a great sign. He's only really had one weeks training with the lads so I think things look very promising. RVP just stinks of class he's very hard to mark.

Sultan

Yes, and his excellent movement wasn't fully utilized. He drew defenders out of position, he ghosted into dangerous areas, he made himself available... and then he was ignored as our main concern seemed to be to get the ball to Valencia who can pump a cross in. As if we had a traditional, typical English centre forward there..
Not being rude, but I'm not sure how you worked all that out watching from a television screen. The cameras can only follow only a certain area of the pitch.

Sultan

Am I the only person who thinks RvP was not quite in the game today, goal apart?

Siorac

Not being rude, but I'm not sure how you worked all that out watching from a television screen. The cameras can only follow only a certain area of the pitch.
True enough but that actually means I might have missed some opportunities when we could have made better use of RvP's movement but didn't.

And you really don't need to have any special vision to see that our number one aim is always to get the ball out wide. Always. The entire team is set up that way. And I think we should have a bit more variety, that's all; especially now that we have the personnel for it.

kps88

If we hadn't eased up second half I'm sure he would have scored more goals. You can't blame him for being quiet since we barely created anything second half and we had Kagawa coming deep, playing in the hole. Van Persie was probably under instructions to stay high up the pitch. His involvement in each game is going to be largely dependent on the service he receives.

Sultan

True enough but that actually means I might have missed some opportunities when we could have made better use of RvP's movement but didn't.

And you really don't need to have any special vision to see that our number one aim is always to get the ball out wide. Always. The entire team is set up that way. And I think we should have a bit more variety, that's all; especially now that we have the personnel for it.
Wing play has served us well over many decades, and we still have fantastic wingers. I appreciate with Kagawa we now how someone who can play through the middle, but it takes time to adapt. We're in our second game of the season.

Fal

Wing play has served us well over many decades, and we still have fantastic wingers. I appreciate with Kagawa we now how someone who can play through the middle, but it takes time to adapt. We're in our second game of the season.
Right, I don't think he's disputing that. I think you're both agreeing :lol:

Mockney

Shouldn't you have had a great view then. Right behind the shot surely? I find I can't grasp goals scored at the other end well if I'm low in the East or the Stretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.