Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NessunDorma

Baffles me why he was not our first choice corner kick taker anymore
It always surprised me that he wasn't in the box for the corners. Not necessarily to win headers (although he's not exactly short or poor in the air) but because he has a nose for being in the right place at the right time. The goal for Chelsea being the prime example.
It's a sign of his phsyical decline that he's no longer quick enough to take a corner, and then get on the end of it himself.

Hed Zitin

Baffles me why he was not our first choice corner kick taker anymore
I don't get why Mata wasn't taking them. ADM and RvP are far more likely to get on a header than him.

Hopefully we'll see more of the same hold up play, movement and link up play displayed at Chelsea. Much better.

LR7

Regarding Monday, RvP wasn't excellent but his all round game was probably the best it has been all season. His hold up play was brilliant, everything that went up to him just seemed to stick, and after watching the MNF analysis (I think) it was obviously a tactic from us to have Mata and Fellaini dragging Matic and Fabregas slightly out of position to widen the gap between them, which then meant that the ball through the middle up to RvP was on. He's been a little unlucky that he has missed a few chances recently that you would expect an RvP in top form to bury. That said, confidence is crucial to strikers and I'd expect the Chelsea goal to give him a big boost. His hold up play will be equally as important against City - before news of the injury I was looking forward to Falcao vs Mangala but I'm hoping RvP continues his where he left off on Monday night.

jem

Found this on YT earlier, let's hope for some counter attack and back to goal play more like this tomorrow:

He was simply fantastic that season. I find it very amusing when some people around here question the wisdom of buying him. That season alone was worth it.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I love his style of smashing the ball... in the most heterosexual way possible

Alscaff

I've been quite disappointed with RVP this season. His decision making has been quite poor by his standards. Often he is just too greedy and by the time he realises he needs to pass, the opposition have had time to find their shape again, and we either lose possession or go back to sideways passing, looking for another opening.
Van Gaal says his fitness levels are great but I think his sharpness is well below par for a man of his talent

psychdelicblues

He was simply fantastic that season. I find it very amusing when some people around here question the wisdom of buying him. That season alone was worth it.

Agree with that.

Their arguments fall into 3 main categories

The signing gave less game time to Hernandez, Welbeck and maybe Kagawa, and put Rooney's nose out of joint.

On the whole a I find United winning trophies more important then the personal careers of individuals players,although I'm saddened it meant less games for Welbeck or pushed him out wide.

United were less pleasing to the eye with Van Persie up front.

I find that odd because Van Persie was part of an Arsenal side who have probably been the best footballing side in the PL the past decade. I think the quality of United's football was already in decline by the time Van Persie came to United.

That United would have still won the league if Fergie had invested in midfield instead of Van Persie.

I find that a pretty strange and bold claim. For a start it should never be an either/or situation. It assumes if United had not got Van Persie, Fergie would have invested in midfield, an area I feel he had neglected for 3 or 4 years.

The last argument smacks of the kind of complacency and arrogance which led to the appointment of Moyes considering Van Persie's goals more or less won United the title by mid Feb, not withstanding he might have gone to City.

Last edited:
Man City 1:0 Man Utd

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Bit of a useless performance. The defence will of course be that "he barely saw the ball" but that was because his hold-up play was awful. Looked completely out of it by the 50/60th minute.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
I don't think anyone can blame RVP today. Thankless task today.

Awful midfield play in the first half meant service was few and far between. Smalling then screwed him over by taking his support away. After that he ran and worked but it was only going behind during a spell of 20 mins where city dominated and after his great turn and run that we showed spirit to push city back. By then his fate was sealed.

acnumber9

Bit of a useless performance. The defence will of course be that "he barely saw the ball" but that was because his hold-up play was awful. Looked completely out of it by the 50/60th minute.
The ball was probably played into his feet with back to goal about three times. He played well enough.

DWelbz19

The ball was probably played into his feet with back to goal about three times. He played well enough.
Well enough isn't well enough, though, is it? If you're content with our striker not being able to keep the ball for us to move forward then fine, that was 'well enough.' He was too slow and too weak to every 50/50 and didn't show near enough in his hold-up.

MarcRed96

I don't think he was that bad. Didn't really get much service and I thought he was decent on the ball when he had it. He looked very isolated at times but that's understandable considering we were down to ten men for most of the game.

Dylan94

Invisible again today. Was the 2nd worst player on the pitch apart from Di Maria. Did nothing.

Stringer

Invisible again today. Was the 2nd worst player on the pitch apart from Di Maria. Did nothing.
We were down to ten men. How many times have you watched a game where the lone striker has stood out in those circumstances?

kundalini

I thought his run and shot from a tight angle that Hart saved with his feet, was one of the few pieces of genuine skill from a United player all match. His header that set up Januzaj's shot early on was also good play. Overall this season I've not been impressed at all by RVP but today I thought he did well given the lack of service.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
What else could he have done today? Did as much as he could given he's never been too pacy.

saivet

I didn't think he was too bad. Saying that, I would have preferred Rooney up top and Herrera in the midfield.

acnumber9

A great run and forced a save from Hart. Got the ball to Di Maria for our best chance. You should watch the game with your eyes open you'll spot a little more.

acnumber9

Well enough isn't well enough, though, is it? If you're content with our striker not being able to keep the ball for us to move forward then fine, that was 'well enough.' He was too slow and too weak to every 50/50 and didn't show near enough in his hold-up.
Well enough to win the game on his own? No. Well enough to not be criticised unduly? Yes.

DWelbz19

Well enough to win the game on his own? No. Well enough to not be criticised unduly? Yes.
It's more to prevent a free pass than undue criticism. External factors outside of his grasp were clearly of more significance, but he did not have a good game and a frequent fault in his game deserved to be picked up upon.

Dylan94

A great run and forced a save from Hart. Got the ball to Di Maria for our best chance. You should watch the game with your eyes open you'll spot a little more.
2 things in a whole game? That's just not good enough. Despite going down to 10 men he offered very little going forward or setting anything up from midfield.

acnumber9

2 things in a whole game? That's just not good enough. Despite going down to 10 men he offered very little going forward or setting anything up from midfield.
And the header for Januzaj's chance. Who did more going forward? What do you expect from a player barely given the ball?

Devil may care

As a lone striker I don't think he covers enough ground, he wasn't terrible today and didn't get great service but I think he's the striker for when we are on the front foot, not when we need a shift.

thejtrain

Not sure what people expect of him knowing his role in a game like that. Sure, his hold up play could have been better, but the service was just non-existent in the first half.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Was incredibly poor in the beginning of the season. But he's been far better in recent two weeks. Today he did what he could. Especially with 10 v 11 there wasn't much he could do anymore but working his arse off - which he did.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
I thought his run and shot from a tight angle that Hart saved with his feet, was one of the few pieces of genuine skill from a United player all match. His header that set up Januzaj's shot early on was also good play. Overall this season I've not been impressed at all by RVP but today I thought he did well given the lack of service.
A great run and forced a save from Hart. Got the ball to Di Maria for our best chance.
Agree with this. Made the tight angle chance out of nothing and did well to get the ball to Di Maria after that run from Rooney. There was times in the game when he had the whole of the City back four against him on his own. What more could he have done given the circumstances?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Had poor service today mainly due to being a man down. On the other hand in that situation we need a high energy striker, Imo he should have been taken off and not Januzaj and put Rooney upfront.

Would like to see Falcao upfront next game, that's if he's fit.

marlowe78

I'm hoping Falcao comes back soon and in good shape because I can't see how we can go much longer with RVP as the only striker. There were more than enough times today when Rooney got to the edge of the box, saw no option for playing to RVP, and had to dish it out wide to the left. He was way too stationary compared to the Chelsea match and I don't see any signs of him going back to the player who would get several good chances in each half.

markhrad

He was only invisible because of the lack of service. Many times he had his hand raised, calling for the ball but did not get it.
It really would be nice to see Rooney even attempt to pass to RVP instead of his usual long ball out to the Right wing. At least falcao tries to link up with nice one-twos.

Kazi

What else could he have done today? Did as much as he could given he's never been too pacy.
That's the problem. As soon as we went down to ten, he should have come off because he's useless as the lone striker in a team that's playing on the counter.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
That's the problem. As soon as we went down to ten, he should have come off because he's useless as the lone striker in a team that's playing on the counter.
That's one way of looking at it but we weren't exactly playing on the counter were we? We just kept hoofing the ball up and in such situations I'd rather RVP up top than Wilson.

ottosec

Did his job today, decent performance, was surprised to see him come off when we were chasing the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.