Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Shades of old from him in the first half today, which was great to see. He held up the ball very well, even though he didn't have much else to work with.

In the second half I thought he struggled a bit more, similar to what we've seen from him of late. That goal will probably do him a lot of good, but it will be interesting to see what happens now that Rooney's back, should Falcao eventually get fit. I doubt we'll accommodate all three of them against City.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Pleased for him to get the goal but looks like a busted flush after an hour! Hold up play was very good today though!

Sam

Glad he scored, and it was a better performance than we've seen in a while, but I still think Rooney and Falcao should play next week.
RVP's performance today was better then anything Falcao has produced so far. He defiantly doesn't deserve to be dropped after today.

Cina

Glad he scored, and it was a better performance than we've seen in a while, but I still think Rooney and Falcao should play next week.
we'll probably see all three, and to be fair, I think when we had all three in that one game, they did quite well together, didn't they?

Plus it means we can put Di Maria back in the middle.

RedStarUnited

He scored so his detractors are eating some of their previous words. I am still not happy with his service. To me RVP had never lost his abilities the problem was midfielders going for glory themselves and not feeding him the ball. In the WC Robben and Sneijder hardly passed to him. With UTD, Rooney and Mata. Even today DiMaria and Januzay were poor suppliers. What was even more amazing is that many times Fellaini was also in the box with RVP yet the crosses did not reach them or were driven low and towards the goal.
Ok maybe Ivanovic was not there but the first decent delivery into the box got both Felaini and RVP involved.
Today was about the 5th time this season he has missed a one and one once clear through. Thats nothing to do with the service is it.

He isn't having a good season in front of goal. Thats why some people are after him. His movement is still excellent though.

wr8_utd

:'(
we'll probably see all three, and to be fair, I think when we had all three in that one game, they did quite well together, didn't they?

Plus it means we can put Di Maria back in the middle.
I hope that's what we play as well. Would prefer Rooney Falcao up top for the extra man in midfield but RvP won't be dropped after today. So the 3 of them up top with Rooney dropping back to help out and Fellu and Blind in midfield with Adm . No space for Herrera though.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Pleased for RVP. He didn't give up all game which was great to see. Yes he's still not quite clinical enough, but so pleased and hope it gives his confidence a boost.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
What exactly have you proven? A decent first half performance in which he did well with his hold-up play but squandered two very, very good chances put to him by Januzaj was then met with a quiet second half, only to fortunately find himself on the end of a scrappy set piece? It was better than what he has been showing, but that was hardly a good performance. Let's hope the goal gets him back into form, because it's clear that only some sort of nuclear disaster will keep him out of the side.
More what I said about the chances, he is making those runs, he is the only one making them..

Kag

I'm glad he scored, but his failure to square the ball to both Mata and Wilson in both halves have arguably cost us points. They were in better positions from memory. Greedy.

MUFC > Everyone

I don't think his miss was as glaring as some posters have made it out to be. Courtois was off his line very quickly and it wasn't the best angle. Not an easy chance at all.
Thank you! The angle of the shot was very hard and he didn't have enough time to take a look where Courtois was. The only things he could have done aside from what he did was try to round the keeper or chip him -- both without even looking at where Courtois was. He took a shot that would have been lucky to sneak in, but I don't even think 12-13 Van Persie would have made that chance.

Any type of Van Persie would have finished Hazard's breakaway before the Drogba goal though...

Devil may care

Much better hold up play and much sharper off the mark today, if we'd had more pace on the right and more pace supporting from midfield he wouldn't have been as isolated as he was at times.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I'm glad he scored, but his failure to square the ball to both Mata and Wilson in both halves have arguably cost us points. They were in better positions from memory. Greedy.
In hindsight your right BUT I like my strikers greedy and confident lol

ottosec

Thank you! The angle of the shot was very hard and he didn't have enough time to take a look where Courtois was. The only things he could have done aside from what he did was try to round the keeper or chip him -- both without even looking at where Courtois was. He took a shot that would have been lucky to sneak in, but I don't even think 12-13 Van Persie would have made that chance.

Any type of Van Persie would have finished Hazard's breakaway before the Drogba goal though...
It seems that after every chance he misses there is a group of posters that come here and complain how it was an easy chance and the mythical RVP 12/13 would have scored that with his eyes closed...

Also he just put on a performance better that any performance put in by Mata, Rooney or Falcao this season and I read through theis thread and some people want him dropped for City... :lol:

Btw, since he is here he scored in every single big game we won in the last 2 years. So, yeah, let's drop him.

Acole9

Outstanding
You could tell that goal meant the world to him. Well played Robin.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Will be great for his confidence, especially after his post shot last week. An inform RvP would be massive going forward.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Like the West Brom game, I think his overall play is getting a lot better but his finishing still doesn't fill me with confidence at the moment. Both times he went through, the only thing I expected was the shot to hit the keeper. However, for him to pop up with such an important goal shows how important he still is and I can easily forget the other two chances. It was great to see.

ZDwyr

He wasn't bad. Think he tired a fair bit halfway through the second half. His touch was better today and he seemed to be fighting for more balls. Still think his build-up play is lacking but hopefully he can keep improving.

Firstouch20

Anyone got a gif of his lopping header that nearly caught out Courtois? Would have been the goal of the season!

ZDwyr

Anyone got a gif of his lopping header that nearly caught out Courtois? Would have been the goal of the season!
Are you thinking of Wilson's? His was more looping than RvP's was. But RvP's was a really good effort considering his body position.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I'm as guilty as anyone, 60-70 minutes in i was bemoaning Falcao's injury, that he couldn't come on and offer something else. In hindsight, and with a clearer head i'm not sure what good it would have done. Our rare ventures forward used him frequently with his hold up play, most good things we had on the front foot came through him.

Was delighted for him to get his goal, you could see what it meant to him.

2 man midfield

Are you thinking of Wilson's? His was more looping than RvP's was. But RvP's was a really good effort considering his body position.
Honestly thought that was in. Courtois is a freak of nature, what a keeper he is. Going to get better too.

Sam

Honestly thought that was in. Courtois is a freak of nature, what a keeper he is. Going to get better too.
That header would have caused pretty much any other keeper huge problems, can you imagine a keeper of Casilas' size trying to keep it out?, yet Courtois just plucks it out the air like its a routine catch. The bastard.

2 man midfield

That header would have caused pretty much any other keeper huge problems, can you imagine a keeper of Casilas' size trying to keep it out?, yet Courtois just plucks it out the air like its a routine catch. The bastard.
I know right. I was waiting for his arms to drop when his legs came back down to earth...

But they were already there!

JUPITER

His touch was a lot better today as well, at least 5 times he brought down lofty passes really silkily.

The more time has passed since the game today the more impressed I feel with his performance leading the line against the best defence in the league.

markhrad

I keep referring to LVG's philosophy of giving players the opportunity to prove themselves. Well today RVP did just that.
LVG will not drop him nor should he because RVP is still a class above most strikers. His first touch is still very good and if the players keep looking to pass to him he will deliver.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
People really underestimate his strength and hold up play and how vital it is. Rooney can't do it, he's mostly been terrible when he has his back to goal. Falcao got physically overpowered a few times in the West Brom game. His finishing has never been at the Falcao or even Rooney level but his other talents balance it out.

Both he and Rooney are ahead of Falcao in the pecking order for me.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

"Makes it better for us, no?"

I love that answer. Because really, from a United point of view, who the feck cares Ivanovic was sent off?

Also, is he going the Van Gaal hairstyle nowadays?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Does seem to be change in his game or low in confidence, he's trying all these cute finishes and passing the ball into the net when getting into 1v1 situations, the old Van Persie would smash those balls into the top corners.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Some of his play with back to goal was just sublime. More of that, please.

hp88

Just what he needed before the derby, he will be fired up for Sunday.

Parma Dewol

Always loved this fella. Don't think the criticism he's had this year has been justified. Granted, he hasn't been his usual amazing self, but he's still scoring and he's still making things happen. Did very well as a lone centre forward yesterday.

There are many clichés in football, but one truly resonates with RvP: form is temporary, class is permanent.

And it was just epic to hear Ooooh Robin van Persie belting through the stands at full time yesterday. He shares a special relationship with us all.

Mark_GrumpyLion

Smashed that ball in like he was shattering all his demons in one go. Fingers crossed he can keep up this form. Happy for him that he got a goal. Still want to see Falcao start in a match instead of him though, just to see how that works out.

kotha

"Makes it better for us, no?"

I love that answer. Because really, from a United point of view, who the feck cares Ivanovic was sent off?

Also, is he going the Van Gaal hairstyle nowadays?
The difference in his body language from last year is so stark.. Remember him mumbling about people being in his space last year and this year he is buzzing in all interviews..

Status
Not open for further replies.