Robin van Persie

Status
Not open for further replies.

acnumber9

I don't care how good he is, he's 29 in a month.
Teddy Sheringham was 31 when we signed him. Thankfully players are capable of producing past the age of 28. Some even get better believe it or not. Van Persie would be an excellent signing but I doubt it will happen.

NewDawnFades

If he goes to City it would be simply unfair, Tevez, Aguero, Van Persie, Balotelli... that's presuming Dzeko and Adebayor go. Good luck keeping those four happy!

Hopefully he shows some respect to Arsenal. To go to City now with Clichy, Nasri, Toure etc would just be a slap in the face to Arsne and the club.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Van Persie would be an excellent signing, world class striker, silly not to have him, we don't need him though.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
really.....>REALLY?

So we take a glass striker with one of the worst injury records around, pair him with our medical staff, who, given all the evidence of the last 6 years Im convinced were trained by Harold Shipman and expect that NOT to be a total clusterfeck? If we sign him I fully expect him to DIE within 20 minutes of his debut.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
really.....>REALLY?

So we take a glass striker with one of the worst injury records around, pair him with our medical staff, who, given all the evidence of the last 6 years Im convinced were trained by Harold Shipman and expect that NOT to be a total clusterfeck? If we sign him I fully expect him to DIE within 20 minutes of his debut.
:lol:

Varun

Staff
really.....>REALLY?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I see a star as an established, great player who has already proven themselves at the highest level for numerous years. I see a very talented 18 year old as a potential star. Hence why I pointed out your examples of Rooney and Ronaldo.

Especially Ronaldo, who most on here agree may never have become the player he is today had he gone to a Real or modern day City at that age.

I guess it's a bit like arguing the whole 'world class' thing. 'Star' is a word we see differently.

This was basically my point.
See, I think that's just us as fans taking too much credit for his development. Sergio Ramos has been a virtual ever-present since 19 at Madrid, so I see no reason why a player with Ronaldo's talent and attitude wouldn't have made it.

It goes without saying that we prefer to bring in young players that will develop into world class players with us - mainly because it just represents better value for money in terms of longevity and price - but it's not the only kind of player we're willing to spend big on. It's rare but there have and will always be exceptions. I'd personally rather Van Persie wasn't one of those exceptions though, so I agree with you there.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
really.....>REALLY?

acnumber9

I don't like us signing a near 30 player for big money. What was the last example of us doing that?
How does what Berbatov did impact on how another will perform? Should we not have signed another Dutchman because Jordi Cruyff was crap?

mufcwarm92

I always found it odd how highly rated he is compared with how poor he was everytime I saw him play for the reserves. I'm surprised it's Spurs showing interest but by the sounds of things he was told he didn't have a future here. He's probably at a similar level to Danny Rose, if not lower.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
I don't like us signing a near 30 player for big money. What was the last example of us doing that?
This isnt any 'near 30 player' - its last seasons best in the PL.

For a player of his caliber, if we have a shot we will make room regardless. He would be sensational here. Only worry is injuries.

acnumber9

For a player of his caliber, if we have a shot we will make room regardless. He would be sensational here. Only worry is injuries.
He's only 28. It's ridiculous to suggest he wouldn't be worth buying because of what happened with Berbatov. Especially when Berbatov's age had nothing to do with his being a success.

Ash_G

I don't really think his age is an issue. People overplay that card now. He's still got a good 3 years before you'd start worrying about age, injuries is another matter. Practically though it doesn't make sense, if fergie wants to try and balance them out, then that's his issue I guess. As long as we sign a midfielder I don't care who else he brings in.

Plan M

Van Persie won't be joining Utd :lol:

One good season at Arse and everyone has got a hard on for him all of a sudden. I would be gutted if we signed him and not a midfielder. Also, what about Welbeck and Hernandez? We don't need another centre forward.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

I know he was the best last season. But it's too much of a risk IMO. If he takes a season or so to settle into our system as is quite common he'll already be past his best years with us having spent a fortune.

Brwned

Van Persie won't be joining Utd :lol:

One good season at Arse and everyone has got a hard on for him all of a sudden.
You're not seriously suggesting he wasn't highly rated before last season? He was two goals off top scorer the season before despite starting just half of the games. He scored in 10 of his last 14 league games in that season, or 15 goals in total from those 14 games. He's been consistently scoring and creating against all manners of opposition for ages now, and sprinkling bits of magic throughout. It's not like he's just been 'productive', his game's always had plenty of beauty to it as well. Rocket shot, great set pieces, great passing, great close control and a great first touch - he's displayed that throughout his career.

finneh

He's only 28. It's ridiculous to suggest he wouldn't be worth buying because of what happened with Berbatov. Especially when Berbatov's age had nothing to do with his being a success.
He'd be a phenomenal signing if we could keep him fit. Obviously not instead of a central midfielder, but he's the kind of player who if fit would win you 8+ points a season single-handedly.

I don't buy that it would somehow destroy Hernandez/Welbeck... Look at the Barcelona model of signing World Class players like Fabregas/Sanchez, despite already being very well stocked in those areas.

Homeomorphic

I really hope he goes to Real Madrid at the expense of Higuain. Don't think Jose is that thick but you can dream. Real Madrid and injury prone Dutch players. :drool:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If a player has played regular football for more than one full season, he gets to still be labeled "injury prone" ? You'd think RVP still gets the odd injury

Zen

Personally don't have any problem with signing a later 20's player, this isn't 80's and earlier. Fitness stay high for far longer now, he's had his injury troubles sure, but so had Drogba, but he just won the CL playing an immensely key role and had Barca interested at the least at the age of 34. Forlan, Klose, Raul, albeit in different leagues and situations are proving it too. At 28 going 29, with his technical ability, any team could get 3 top class years out of him, and 5 in total with him accepting rotation later on.

Brwned

He'd be a phenomenal signing if we could keep him fit. Obviously not instead of a central midfielder, but he's the kind of player who if fit would win you 8+ points a season single-handedly.

I don't buy that it would somehow destroy Hernandez/Welbeck... Look at the Barcelona model of signing World Class players like Fabregas/Sanchez, despite already being very well stocked in those areas.
And you can see the impact it's had on Pedro already, surely? It's debatable whether signing Fabregas/Sanchez has actually improved them as a team, would Pedro and Thiago have been able to play more games and have a similar impact? I think it's possible. The obvious counter-example to the Barcelona model is of course Ibrahimovic anyway, who holds much more in common with Van Persie than the other two.

Homeomorphic

If a player has played regular football for more than one full season, he gets to still be labeled "injury prone" ? You'd think RVP still gets the odd injury
I'd rather look at his last ... err ... 7 seasons than just his last one to get a clearer picture.

25 PL games in 2010 / 2011
16 PL games in 2009 / 2010
28 PL games in 2008 / 2009
15 PL games in 2007 / 2008
22 PL games in 2006 / 2007
24 PL games in 2005 / 2006

It's really only the last season he managed to play 38 out of 38 games.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I'd rather look at his last ... err ... 7 seasons than just his last one to get a clearer picture.

25 PL games in 2010 / 2011
16 PL games in 2009 / 2010
28 PL games in 2008 / 2009
15 PL games in 2007 / 2008
22 PL games in 2006 / 2007
24 PL games in 2005 / 2006

It's really only the last season he managed to play 38 out of 38 games.
I know that exactly but at the same time do you "really" need to go back to 7 seasons ? In the last two seasons, RVP has improved his fitness levels immensely.
It's still harsh to label him an injury prone player as if he was still getting regularly injured.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
really.....>REALLY?

:lol: x100

finneh

And you can see the impact it's had on Pedro already, surely? It's debatable whether signing Fabregas/Sanchez has actually improved them as a team, would Pedro and Thiago have been able to play more games and have a similar impact? I think it's possible. The obvious counter-example to the Barcelona model is of course Ibrahimovic anyway, who holds much more in common with Van Persie than the other two.
Pedro played 5 less league games this season than 10-11 and 4 less than 09-10. Yes he might have been a substitute more often but he played more often than Rooney for example, so I'm not sure you could say it's particularly impacted him. Likewise Thiago played 45 times (again more than Rooney). The signings have allowed Barce to rotate more often and keep other players fresh, which I feel makes them a stronger team.

With Ibrahimovic in my opinion he just wasn't as good as others in his position and didn't suit Barce's style of play. That situation was far more like our signing of Berbatov.

LARulz

Some story of Barca selling Villa to fund RVP. I'm sure, if true, Arsenal would take Villa and be more than happy

Status
Not open for further replies.