6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Lukaku is proven across 2 very average teams in the PL over the past 6 years(West Brom - Everton) where the system wasn't built specifically for him to flourish.

Kane is supported by one of the best chance creators in the league (Eriksen) and a whole host of quality in and behind him where the team is built so he can flourish.

I would still rather have Lukaku than Kane, still. I just don't think Kane would handle the pressure at a big club.
Ridiculous. Kane is a better striker than Lukaku in almost every aspect of his game.

BigTimeCharlie

Kane has a lot more to his game than Lukaku. When do you ever see Lukaku successfully take players on or fire one in from outside the box? These are attributes Lukaku just doesn't have.

When do you ever see Kane take on a player?
Better yet, when do you ever see Kane track back and defend all the way to left back?
When do you ever see Kane occupy the wing to put in a defensive shift?
When do you ever see Kane assist his mates?

I think Kane can be as clumsy as Lukaku can be on the ball, they aren't elegant players...

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Kane and Lukaku are quite similar. I would say Lukaku is better in the air, Kane quite a bit better with his feet, which is why he (Kane) is a notch above in class. Both very good goalscorers though. Lukaku has had silly criticism recently.

BigTimeCharlie

Ridiculous. Kane is a better striker than Lukaku in almost every aspect of his game.
Lukaku scores goals
Kane scores goals.

Think about it this way:
There are two sunflowers...

One sunflower was planted in a fertile land, received plenty of the Sun and grew to high heights and does very well for a sunflower, some may say one of the top 5 Sunflowers in the world.

Another Sunflower was planted in fertile land, but the owner decided to up root him and put him into land that wasn't as fertile and didnt receive as much of the sun.

However, this sunflower still managed to grow in comparison to the first sunflower despite not receiving the nutrients that the first sunflower had but then all of a sudden the owner uprooted him and placed him in to soil not far from the most rotten area around, yet this sunflower somehow, miraculously still managed to grow and still in comparison to the first sunflower.

Whilst all this happened, the first sunflower had received steady nutrients and sunlight with being well nurtured by its owner.

Then one day, the second sunflower had been seen to still be growing whilst in all of these imperfect conditions (almost abusive conditions, the type of conditions that would get your plants taken off you) and still stood strong and tall. Then a Portuguese owner noticed this sunflower and decided to liberate him so he went out to buy the second sunflower and give him the most fertile, nutrient rich land around.

The second sunflower than proceeded to become more successful than any other sunflower in the league, 66.67% of the time he appeared he produced a goal or assist. Where as the first sunflower only managed to partake 41% of the time he appeared.

The second sunflower is Lukaku, the first sunflower is Harry Kane.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Kane and Lukaku are quite similar. I would say Lukaku is better in the air, Kane quite a bit better with his feet, which is why he (Kane) is a notch above in class. Both very good goalscorers though. Lukaku has had silly criticism recently.
I think Kane has more in his locker with finishing too. You see him chop inside past a defender and slam it in from outside the box much more, where as Lukaku can’t really pull that off a lot. I’d also say Kane’s a better passer too and has more awareness.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I think Kane has more in his locker with finishing too. You see him chop inside past a defender and slam it in from outside the box much more, where as Lukaku can’t really pull that off a lot. I’d also say Kane’s a better passer too and has more awareness.
Yes that is probably all true though most of it is all based on him being better on the deck.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Lukaku struggles to create out of nothing. He might improve this but it's not unfair to ask a bit more from him.

He's still a great goalscorer and the reason why we are winning most games we are expected to this season.

OL29

Kane has a lot more to his game than Lukaku. When do you ever see Lukaku successfully take players on or fire one in from outside the box? These are attributes Lukaku just doesn't have.
Whilst I agree that Kane is the more complete striker, Lukaku's better at beating a defender imo.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Lukaku is proven across 2 very average teams in the PL over the past 6 years(West Brom - Everton) where the system wasn't built specifically for him to flourish.

Kane is supported by one of the best chance creators in the league (Eriksen) and a whole host of quality in and behind him where the team is built so he can flourish.

I would still rather have Lukaku than Kane, still. I just don't think Kane would handle the pressure at a big club.
Kane is already at a pretty big club. And he shows up against top opposition. He's clearly a superior, more rounded striker than Lukaku.

RuudTom83

Sure Kane is currently the better player but give Lukaku a few seasons with the team before we write him off!

Plus a forwards main task is to score goals, Kane has 19 so far this season whilst Lukaku has 16...so not much in it is there.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah. Agree with that. Lukaku is a good bit stronger and quicker too. Although isn’t yet using these attributes as much as he could. I’m not sure why. Although his speed is why he’s been generally more likely than Kane to dribble past someone from a standing start. Despite not being as good with his feet.

reddevil702

How can we really expect Rom to show up against the big clubs when we play so negative? It's no coincidence that he's looked his worse in these games. He's scoring against the weaker sides because we set up to attack. As has been said before he's not great at hold up play but yet that's his role against the top sides which is going to equal negative results for both player and team.

RedRevongge

How can we really expect Rom to show up against the big clubs when we play so negative? It's no coincidence that he's looked his worse in these games. He's scoring against the weaker sides because we set up to attack. As has been said before he's not great at hold up play but yet that's his role against the top sides which is going to equal negative results for both player and team.
I think it's little surprise that he has struggled more since Pogba has been out.

He makes such a huge difference to our game and creating chances.

Hopefully when we have them both playing things will improve

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Yes that is probably all true though most of it is all based on him being better on the deck.
I just thought you meant with his feet. Kane is much more skilful with his feet/first touch, as well as the rest I mentioned.

Boycott

Lukaku scores goals
Kane scores goals.

Think about it this way:
There are two sunflowers...

One sunflower was planted in a fertile land, received plenty of the Sun and grew to high heights and does very well for a sunflower, some may say one of the top 5 Sunflowers in the world.

Another Sunflower was planted in fertile land, but the owner decided to up root him and put him into land that wasn't as fertile and didnt receive as much of the sun.

However, this sunflower still managed to grow in comparison to the first sunflower despite not receiving the nutrients that the first sunflower had but then all of a sudden the owner uprooted him and placed him in to soil not far from the most rotten area around, yet this sunflower somehow, miraculously still managed to grow and still in comparison to the first sunflower.

Whilst all this happened, the first sunflower had received steady nutrients and sunlight with being well nurtured by its owner.

Then one day, the second sunflower had been seen to still be growing whilst in all of these imperfect conditions (almost abusive conditions, the type of conditions that would get your plants taken off you) and still stood strong and tall. Then a Portuguese owner noticed this sunflower and decided to liberate him so he went out to buy the second sunflower and give him the most fertile, nutrient rich land around.

The second sunflower than proceeded to become more successful than any other sunflower in the league, 66.67% of the time he appeared he produced a goal or assist. Where as the first sunflower only managed to partake 41% of the time he appeared.

The second sunflower is Lukaku, the first sunflower is Harry Kane.
That's a very longwinded and somewhat strange analogy. I can see your angle but I disagree. Playing for a bigger club doesn't mean by extension you will score more goals. If anything playing at a lower club can be better because a) less pressure and b) games are more open.

Look at Benteke for example - his Premier League goal return up to this season stands at:
19 in 34 [Aston Villa]
10 in 26 [Aston Villa]
13 in 29 [Aston Villa]
9 in 29 [Liverpool]
15 in 36 [Crystal Palace]

He's having a shocker so far this season but 66 goals in five full seasons playing for only one top half side is damn impressive. He played in poorly Villa sides battling against the drop and looked good. His goals helped propel Palace up from the bottom end lasts season. His only season which he failed to get into double figures was at the only top half side he has played in. And his struggles there in terms of fitting in are well known. Neither Rodgers or Klopp fancied him in their system.

Lower ranked sides will shut up shop against the top teams but that constitutes only a small amount of games a season. The vast majority of games are against similar ability / ranked teams so they are more open as both sides fancy their chances. Everton vs Bournemouth, WBA vs Crystal Palace and Swansea vs West Ham are likely going to be more end to end and error-prone than if you sub out one team for a top six side where the entire onus is on the top six side to get a result.

James Peril

That's a very longwinded and somewhat strange analogy. I can see your angle but I disagree. Playing for a bigger club doesn't mean by extension you will score more goals. If anything playing at a lower club can be better because a) less pressure and b) games are more open.

Look at Benteke for example - his Premier League goal return up to this season stands at:
19 in 34 [Aston Villa]
10 in 26 [Aston Villa]
13 in 29 [Aston Villa]
9 in 29 [Liverpool]

He's having a shocker so far this season but 66 goals in five full seasons playing for only one top half side is damn impressive. He played in poorly Villa sides battling against the drop and looked good. His goals helped propel Palace up from the bottom end lasts season. His only season which he failed to get into double figures was at the only top half side he has played in. And his struggles there in terms of fitting in are well known. Neither Rodgers or Klopp fancied him in their system.

Lower ranked sides will shut up shop against the top teams but that constitutes only a small amount of games a season. The vast majority of games are against similar ability / ranked teams so they are more open as both sides fancy their chances. Everton vs Bournemouth, WBA vs Crystal Palace and Swansea vs West Ham are likely going to be more end to end and error-prone than if you sub out one team for a top six side where the entire onus is on the top six side to get a result.
Yeah, that sunflower-analogy was weird to say the least. I’ve also mentioned it before, there is not much between a Benteke on form (he’s never fit) and Lukaku. Only a few years ago a fit Benteke was the starter for Belgium, but then again he was a bit older. Benteke has a better touch and is exceptional in the air (as in controlled headers, not just winning headers) - Lukaku has unique strength and a powerful strike, but his technical ability is on par with Chris Wood.

BigTimeCharlie

19 in 34 [Aston Villa]
10 in 26 [Aston Villa]
13 in 29 [Aston Villa]
9 in 29 [Liverpool]

I think its lazy for you to compare Lukaku with Benteke, next you will be using Yakubu and then Heskey which funnily enough all of those have something in common...

Lukaku offers far more than Benteke did/does, if you cant see that then youare being unfair. A strikers job is to score goals, he has done that in abundance where ever he has been.

Kane has been at the same club for the past 4 years and had a team built around him and grown with his team mates, you dont even have to be a football man to understand how this helps a players game.

Lukaku has been to relegation fodder and a villa-esque everton team where he has bettered Bentekes greatest ever season on multiple occassions whilst being <24.

The only striker in the premier league on par with that is Kane, in his perfect environment with the team built around him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

19 in 34 [Aston Villa]
10 in 26 [Aston Villa]
13 in 29 [Aston Villa]
9 in 29 [Liverpool]

Benteke was primary penalty taker at Aston Villa and at Liverpool he was just a sub player. If you go by mins per goal (excluding penalties) then only his first season at Villa was better than Liverpool and its understandable as Benteke was brought on as a sub in most games.

edgar allan

Kane is the highest scoring (pure) striker in the league, it’s Tottenham in general that are suffering.
He is still scoring goals which is impressive but his all round performances haven't been as good for me, although he has looked not 100% fit for periods.
I guess the question is can a forward that is still scoring regularly still be disappointing, how much can the goals be off set by the rest of their game being average.

Boycott

I think its lazy for you to compare Lukaku with Benteke, next you will be using Yakubu and then Heskey which funnily enough all of those have something in common...

Lukaku offers far more than Benteke did/does, if you cant see that then youare being unfair. A strikers job is to score goals, he has done that in abundance where ever he has been.

Kane has been at the same club for the past 4 years and had a team built around him and grown with his team mates, you dont even have to be a football man to understand how this helps a players game.

Lukaku has been to relegation fodder and a villa-esque everton team where he has bettered Bentekes greatest ever season on multiple occassions whilst being <24.

The only striker in the premier league on par with that is Kane, in his perfect environment with the team built around him.
What a load of bollocks. Benteke is a fine striker in his own right whose career fits the argument: scores a lot of goals for shit teams, struggled when he got a big move. I think it's lazy for you to pull out that card and says more about you.

Your opinion that Lukaku offers more than Benteke is fine. That's why I think Kane is better than Lukaku. When I watch the two play, Kane's touch, hold up play, passing ability and use of his body is better. I don't know if stats quantify that but that is the judgement of the eye. Lukaku is a prolific scorer but not that impressive a footballer for me.

Benteke was primary penalty taker at Aston Villa and at Liverpool he was just a sub player. If you go by mins per goal (excluding penalties) then only his first season at Villa was better than Liverpool and its understandable as Benteke was brought on as a sub in most games.
Benteke has only scored 9 penalties out of 66 PL goals. Not that big a dent. Also take the style of teams into play: Villa in the last five years are not known for goalscoring or attacking quality. Benteke had the pressure of keeping them up as the only genuine threat. Everton fell under Martinez but everyone put that down to him being gung ho and not giving a toss about defence. They still scored goals but clean sheets were a rarity.

roonster09

Scout
Benteke has only scored 9 penalties out of 66 PL goals. Not that big a dent. Also take the style of teams into play: Villa in the last five years are not known for goalscoring or attacking quality. Benteke had the pressure of keeping them up as the only genuine threat. Everton fell under Martinez but everyone put that down to him being gung ho and not giving a toss about defence.
If you go by mins per goal (from open play) Benteke scored every goal every 176 mins in his first season. At Liverpool he scored every 190 mins which is his second best season in terms of mins per goal.

Benteke isn't bad player though, just that his scoring rate was decent at Liverpool if you go by mins played. He played equivalent of 17 games and scored 9 goals, that's a decent record.

Boycott

If you go by mins per goal (from open play) Benteke scored every goal every 176 mins in his first season. At Liverpool he scored every 190 mins which is his second best season in terms of mins per goal.

Benteke isn't bad player though, just that his scoring rate was decent at Liverpool if you go by mins played. He played equivalent of 17 games and scored 9 goals, that's a decent record.
Fair enough.

That fella's sunflower argument implied scoring goals at a weaker team by extension will make you better at a big team which I disagreed with. Benteke made that jump and his all round was judged in a way it isn't at a lower team. He was shipped out after one year for a reason. Would Vardy score more playing up against parked buses frequently negating his ability to run into open spaces?

I actually do like Lukaku a lot but Neville said it best, when you play for a big club you get judged beyond goals rightly or wrongly.

roonster09

Scout
Fair enough.

That fella's sunflower argument implied scoring goals at a weaker team by extension will make you better at a big team which I disagreed with. Benteke made that jump and his all round was judged in a way it isn't at a lower team. He was shipped out after one year for a reason. Would Vardy score more playing up against parked buses frequently negating his ability to run into open spaces?

I actually do like Lukaku a lot but Neville said it best, when you play for a big club you get judged beyond goals rightly or wrongly.
I agree with that, scoring for smaller clubs doesn't mean player can at big clubs as lot changes. Saying that, Lukaku has made good start to his ManUtd career except few games.

NotQuiteManc

This guy is crucial to United's system, I think. The target man, he is willing runner between the defenders, decently strong in the air, and he has shown that even during his dry spells, he contributed with key passes and assists as well. He is only going to improve, and I hope some of the young, key players like Pogba, Lukaku, Rashford and Martial will stay for a long time so they can play better, with better cohesion and whatnot.

Not sure about the non-celebration, but if that means he will continue scoring, I don't really care.

BigTimeCharlie

Fair enough.

Lukaku is proving the sunflower argument correct. Not every player can go from shit ckubs to good ckubs and perform the same, the sunflower argument was specifically for Lukaku. Plenty of players have failed at the step up.

If lukaku mis-places 50% of hid passes but scores 35 goals in his first season. I'd accept that. Last season we missed a goalscorer and for all the good Ibra did, he missed bread and butter chances.

Dont take it personally, if you had compared him with Andy Carroll or John Hartson then id understand but comparing him to other black players is just lazy.

lsd

The Oracle

Exactly if he had the same headers against city or Chelsea he had at Bournemouth n west brom he would have taken them.

All strikers need service and in the biggest game so far that's been lacking for him .

Add to the fact he scored against City last year in both games so It's nonsence to say he can't do it

tomaldinho1

He's got 10 in 18 which is decent if not amazing. That's on track for a 20+ goals season which is where I think his minimum expectations should be.

I'm so tired of the 'he doesn't score against big teams' argument, it should be phrased as 'we don't play against big teams'. Jose feels we can win the league by playing safe against the big clubs and dominating the weaker teams and he's not exactly having a bad season. City are just winning every game.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
1 thing that's clear is he doesn't play well when he is isolated.

We need to get bodies around him, whenever we do he plays much better. If he can isolate a defender 1v1 he generally wins, which is why when we've played with 2 strikers we have looked much more dangerous.

Having Pogba back also will be huge for him, plays so much better with him in the team.

Lentwood

Come on man , he hasn't played a full 90 min game in about 9months
That point is of course valid if I’m just using this game as evidence but I watched Zlatan play exactly the same way last year. Too slow, too deep and ponderous

Lukaku stays up the pitch and forces the CBs back with his pace and discipline which most of your armchair pundits don’t recognise

AdNani

That point is of course valid if I’m just using this game as evidence but I watched Zlatan play exactly the same way last year. Too slow, too deep and ponderous

Lukaku stays up the pitch and forces the CBs back with his pace and discipline which most of your armchair pundits don’t recognise
One thing I noticed was when shaw got to the byline and crossed, Zlatan was about 5 yards outside the box, for sure Lukaku would of been in the 6 yard box.

Status
Not open for further replies.