Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Oh yeah it made no sense tonight, we needed to add a CM, not just switch CM's, it was like he was refusing to admit he got it wrong in not playing the 3 man midfield to begin with.
He definitely got it wrong in not going with a 3 man midfield, or 3 at the back and wing backs. The surprise to me was that he didn't throw on another midfielder at HT for one of the attacking players.

Canagel

Flat track bully. Most of his goals even with Everton came when the team is 2/3 nil up when the team was cruising. I've never seen Lukaku make the difference in a tight game like the top top strikers do. They fashion something against the odds. If Jose wanted to use a target man Lukaku was the last person we needed. His hold up play is nonexistent. We should've gone for D Costa if that's what he wants. At least D Costa can roughen up defenders and force something when the team is in trouble.

El Jefe

Unlike Pogba, I can't really blame Rom. Pogba has the ability but lacks focus and maturity with Lukaku its very simple, he just does not have the ability or talent to be a Manutd No.9.

The gap in class between him and Kane is so laughable that I don't see how some fans here still aren't concerned.

This was a normal performance against the big teams for him if we use his Everton and Manutd career. At this point we're fools to expect any better. He's a lumbering flat track bully that guarantees goals but is an awful footballer judging on our past and present standards.

lsd

The Oracle
Absolute state of posts in this thread some totally pathetic comments .

Konimey

Lukaku is just a flat track bully who disappears during big matches. He has not scored any goals against the top 6 sides and is not good enough to lead United's attack. Maybe lukaku should be dropped and start Sanchez as the CF.

sully1

If he gets the same amount of minute as Martial or Rashford, he would have been behind Rashford, Martial & Lingard in term of goals.
Hard not to agree with this point.

Most of his goals for United are goals most of us would put in the back of the net. He hasn't got any finesse about him, each time he takes a shot if feels like an eternity for his leg to go up and down.

What really has disappointed me is his hold up play especially in the big games, i wish he had the same fight and attitude as Diego Costa, when things arent going your way, or you arent getting any chances it would be nice to see Lakkau try to rough up a defender put in some dirty tackles let the defenders know that you are still going to cause them problems and they are in a game regardless if United arent making any chances.

yesterday against Spurs their CB's were on vacation because they knew all Lakaku was going to do is flick the ball on for non existent runners. Rashford would have caused Spurs CB's 10 x times more problems then Lakaku did just by being pro active and having the defenders something to think about.

reddaz71

4 goals for Lukaku in something like the last 15 games is a very telling and worrying statistic tbh, I always suspected he would frustrate and wasn't exactly thrilled when we signed him.

When you look at the great Utd strikers like Hughes, Van Nistelrooy, they had something which Lukaku desperately lacks which is a very simple technique of being able to hold the ball up, Lukaku's ridiculously over inflated price tag should warrant alot more, sadly I suspect his ability isn't quite up to the required standard of a true Utd centre forward.

tomaldinho1

Please drop him Mou

Rashford is more of a threat through the middle, as is Martial, as is Sanchez

Stacks

Flat track bully. Most of his goals even with Everton came when the team is 2/3 nil up when the team was cruising. I've never seen Lukaku make the difference in a tight game like the top top strikers do. They fashion something against the odds. If Jose wanted to use a target man Lukaku was the last person we needed. His hold up play is nonexistent. We should've gone for D Costa if that's what he wants. At least D Costa can roughen up defenders and force something when the team is in trouble.
Hard not to agree with this point.

Most of his goals for United are goals most of us would put in the back of the net. He hasn't got any finesse about him, each time he takes a shot if feels like an eternity for his leg to go up and down.

What really has disappointed me is his hold up play especially in the big games, i wish he had the same fight and attitude as Diego Costa, when things arent going your way, or you arent getting any chances it would be nice to see Lakkau try to rough up a defender put in some dirty tackles let the defenders know that you are still going to cause them problems and they are in a game regardless if United arent making any chances.

yesterday against Spurs their CB's were on vacation because they knew all Lakaku was going to do is flick the ball on for non existent runners. Rashford would have caused Spurs CB's 10 x times more problems then Lakaku did just by being pro active and having the defenders something to think about.
Ferdinand,

"I think Kane showed today why he's the best striker in the league and one of the most potent in Europe because he's bullied United's centre halves," Ferdinand told BT Sport.

"He totally dominated them physically and brought other people into play. The contrast between him and Lukaku today was so evident it was unbelievable from up here where we watched it.

"The ball going into him, sticking, holding centre halves off and bringing others into the game. That's a real No.9. That's what you want to see a No.9 do."

Former Spurs boss Harry Redknapp added: "There's no comparison. He's on a different level to Lukaku."

James Peril

Needs to step up massively. If he can’t make a difference against the great teams, at least he needs to score lots against the others - he is not doing that either.

A striker does not have to score goals every game to be a great player. In games like yesterday, his contribution and effort was just careless. Goes into headers and challenges like it’s not really his business, often a second too late, always losing the header. As far away as they come from Drogba and Costa, two animals that defenders hated to play against. He is big and heavy, he should crush skinny players like Verthongen, he should make them scared to go into the next challenge.

He has the physique of a basketball-player but goes into challenges like Samir Nasri and Stephen Ireland. I can forgive him for the utterly crap streak he is on, but never for not giving 100% in a game we are losing. Walks into obvious offsides, again, just to give the impression of giving a damn. Unless standing in offside, he knows he won’t reach the ball in the first place. If we sold him yesterday, I doubt there would be a single bid over 40M. Would we do worse with a (when fit) player like Wilson from Bournemouth? Probably not.... which is alarming for a club with our ambitions.

sully1

Ferdinand,

"I think Kane showed today why he's the best striker in the league and one of the most potent in Europe because he's bullied United's centre halves," Ferdinand told BT Sport.

"He totally dominated them physically and brought other people into play. The contrast between him and Lukaku today was so evident it was unbelievable from up here where we watched it.

"The ball going into him, sticking, holding centre halves off and bringing others into the game. That's a real No.9. That's what you want to see a No.9 do."

Former Spurs boss Harry Redknapp added: "There's no comparison. He's on a different level to Lukaku."
Its clear to see bro we don't need Ferdinand telling us, Lakaku isnt giving defenders something to think about when hes not involved in the play, he needs to mature up as a number 9 quickly if he wants to be our main man.
I bet you if you asked opposition CB's in the league or the top ones they will say they rather face Lakaku then Rashford because even when hes not involved in play Rashford has the opposition CB's on their toes because they know one mistake and he will go through on goal or set someone up. With Lakaku you would be lucky if he puts 1 out of 10 chances away.

Kane and Lakaku arent even in the same league, i dont know why some fans are suprised.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Y'all still digging him out? :lol:

Why are you all comparing him to Kane anyway? Did you all think they were the same up until last night? One was valued at under £100m, the other is at arguably up to £200m.... But hey let's expect the same level from both right?

Y'all must have been thinking we got the deal of the century. Give the guy a break, the whole team was shite and has had issues for longer than just last night. We still have things we need to sort out and Rom is not at the top of the list....

Z2United

Supports
Team Zlatan
Im comparing him to players worth about 40 millions. He seem to fit that bracket pretty nicely imo.

Stacks

Needs to step up massively. If he can’t make a difference against the great teams, at least he needs to score lots against the others - he is not doing that either.

A striker does not have to score goals every game to be a great player. In games like yesterday, his contribution and effort was just careless. Goes into headers and challenges like it’s not really his business, often a second too late, always losing the header. As far away as they come from Drogba and Costa, two animals that defenders hated to play against. He is big and heavy, he should crush skinny players like Verthongen, he should make them scared to go into the next challenge.

He has the physique of a basketball-player but goes into challenges like Samir Nasri and Stephen Ireland. I can forgive him for the utterly crap streak he is on, but never for not giving 100% in a game we are losing. Walks into obvious offsides, again, just to give the impression of giving a damn. Unless standing in offside, he knows he won’t reach the ball in the first place. If we sold him yesterday, I doubt there would be a single bid over 40M. Would we do worse with a (when fit) player like Wilson from Bournemouth? Probably not.... which is alarming for a club with our ambitions.
I don't want to believe Lukaku doesn't give 100% because he doesn't seem that kind of lad (to coast). he knows he has it all to prove at a big club. The worry for me is that I don't believe he has the guts, courage, aggression, to be a feared Striker (intangibles). Its no surprise that every side Costa plays for wins the league and big head to head games. Because hes an animal, as you said, a complete nuisance. Drogba obviously was Mr Big time, and you know he will turn up or decide the game. That FA Cup final, Chelsea were not even good but they beat us with Drogba's goal. Same as the CL final, Chelsea were awful but someone like Drogba cannot be contained for the whole game. I feel Rom goes into a shell if it isn't working for him and at United, you just can't hide. He plays like he is Mata's stature

clarkydaz

Ferdinand,

I was pleasantly shocked hearing Rio call it so bluntly. Makes you wonder why they couldn't do the same with Rooney

finneh

If he gets the same amount of minute as Martial or Rashford, he would have been behind Rashford, Martial & Lingard in term of goals.
This is somewhat obvious when you look at the goal-scoring rates. Personally I think we have 3 players in the squad that would fit in better as the foremost forward player in our XI; all of whom would not score fewer goals - Sanchez, Rashford & Martial.

Hansa

I was pleasantly shocked hearing Rio call it so bluntly. Makes you wonder why they couldn't do the same with Rooney
It's just one of things - criticizing a former teammate or one's own countrymen is more difficult than having a go at the foreigner (applicable to most leagues around the world, I guess). Not that Lukaku didn't deserve it last night, mind.

Anyway, I don't think he's a million miles away from being a top striker, but he seems to lack that unshakable confidence typical of the best attackers. When he has the ball, it's as if he's constantly weighing up his options, whereas Kane goes for his own glory 99% of the time. I'd like to see Lukaku have a run of games where he tries to be the match-winner in every single situation.

haram

Are we really doing this again? He is the best striker in the squad.

Stacks

It's just one of things - criticizing a former teammate or one's own countrymen is more difficult than having a go at the foreigner (applicable to most leagues around the world, I guess). Not that Lukaku didn't deserve it last night, mind.

Anyway, I don't think he's a million miles away from being a top striker, but he seems to lack that unshakable confidence typical of the best attackers. When he has the ball, it's as if he's constantly weighing up his options, whereas Kane goes for his own glory 99% of the time. I'd like to see Lukaku have a run of games where he tries to be the match-winner in every single situation.
Depends what you mean by top striker and if you look at the top strikers in my book, he is a million miles away. Top strikers = Kane, Lewa, Suarez, Aguero those types who play 9 have so much more than Rom.

Djemba-Djemba

If he's going to have such a limited impact against the big sides, he needs to be fecking banging them in against the smaller sides.

And outside of the first month or so he's not even been doing that.

Pirlo'sBeard

He's so poor against opposition with good defenders.

His finishing is erratic, his first touch questionable and he doesn't use his physical attributes anywhere near enough. He seems a bit afraid to bully defenders. He's 6'4, athletic and needs to start putting himself about more.

Martial is a completely different animal. He's a miles better footballer. Faster, a much better dribbler, seems stronger and a great finisher. Give Martial a run through the middle. Force Lukaku to fight for his spot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hansa

Depends what you mean by top striker and if you look at the top strikers in my book, he is a million miles away. Top strikers = Kane, Lewa, Suarez, Aguero those types who play 9 have so much more than Rom.
I'm not making excuses or anything. I've been pretty disappointed myself. But he's got physical attributes like almost no other striker in the PL, and I still think he has the potential to become an absolute unplayable beast. Of course, he will never be suited to tiki-taka football, but we definitely should be able to utilize him a lot better. If you look at the other strikers you mention, a common factor is the general quality around them, and the eagerness to attack in numbers. Lukaku doesn't have those teammates.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He needs to watch videos of Mandzukic 12/13 regarding heading and using his physique more efficiently.

LoneStar

My biggest issue with him is that he doesn’t use his strength and bully defenders. He isn’t even as clinical as I thought he was. He just jogs around the pitch and half heartedly goes into aerial duels. For a player of his strength and height, he is shocking in winning aerial duals.

I just hope he learns to impose himself more in games. Start bullying defenders with his strength.

Acole9

Outstanding
He was fairly ineffective last night but he wasn't getting a great deal of service. I often hear pundits saying "Oh he's had no shots on target" He's not going to if he's not being provided with the opportunities.

J_Red 11

He was fairly ineffective last night but he wasn't getting a great deal of service. I often hear pundits saying "Oh he's had no shots on target" He's not going to if he's not being provided with the opportunities.
The problem of Lukaku is that he needs 9/10 rating of service in order for him to actually get a proper chance. Lingard gave him plenty of through ball yesterday but he just couldn't get himself to take a shot. I remember one of the chance he had, instead of having a shot one on one vs Lloris, he decided to pass it back to Martial but the pass was poor and Lloris caught the ball.

Player like RVP can get a proper chance or score goals with 6/10 rating of service.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'm not making excuses or anything. I've been pretty disappointed myself. But he's got physical attributes like almost no other striker in the PL, and I still think he has the potential to become an absolute unplayable beast. Of course, he will never be suited to tiki-taka football, but we definitely should be able to utilize him a lot better. If you look at the other strikers you mention, a common factor is the general quality around them, and the eagerness to attack in numbers. Lukaku doesn't have those teammates.
What use are his physical attributes when he doesn't know how to use them? Martial looks 10x stronger on the ball then he does. As does Sanchez, and they're way smaller then him. Lukaku gets shrugged off the ball way too easily and struggles with high balls way more then he should for his size. Being big means feck all when you don't know how to use your body.

Also saying Lukaku doesn't have teammates eager to attack in numbers? What? Martial, rashford, lingard, pogba and now Sanchez too. Lukaku doesn't have the talent to keep up with them more like.

clarkydaz

My biggest issue with him is that he doesn’t use his strength and bully defenders. He isn’t even as clinical as I thought he was. He just jogs around the pitch and half heartedly goes into aerial duels. For a player of his strength and height, he is shocking in winning aerial duals.

I just hope he learns to impose himself more in games. Start bullying defenders with his strength.
ive noticed he tends to put his arm in the air as if wanting the long ball, but doesn't make any movement to make it happen. like a half arsed gesture

Kapardin

The problem of Lukaku is that he needs 9/10 rating of service in order for him to actually get a proper chance. Lingard gave him plenty of through ball yesterday but he just couldn't get himself to take a shot. I remember one of the chance he had, instead of having a shot one on one vs Lloris, he decided to pass it back to Martial but the pass was poor and Lloris caught the ball.

Player like RVP can get a proper chance or score goals with 6/10 rating of service.
Make that atleast 2-3 of those 9/10 services before he actually scores. He is also wasteful.

What's hilarious is that he has a powerful shot in him, but he often shoots with great force directly at the GK. Talk about channelling your power in the wrong manner.

He bangs them in when the others are scoring. Not what you want from a Top 6 striker, he should be the one opening defenses, not stat-padding by riding Martial's and Lingard's coattails.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Are we really doing this again? He is the best striker in the squad.
He really needs to start showing it. And since we just signed Sanchez, Lukaku really isn't the best striker in the squad anymore, as Sanchez showed last season how good he can be when played there. Also say what you want about Martial but the few times he's played as a striker or as part of a front 2 this season, he has played much better then Lukaku, and throughout the whole season is the one who is scoring at a better rate per 90 minutes. So I'm really beginning to doubt that Lukaku is even the 2nd best striker now. Things like his record against big teams really should not be a thing if he wants to be a striker at a big team. It just can't. Also it feels like it's been ages since he's actually scored a meaningful goal and not just one in the last minutes off a counter to round out a win, which you would think is the main job of a lone striker.

Alabaster Codify7

Random comment/observation:

Lukaku seems very unsure about how to conduct himself when it comes to closing/chasing down CB's. And with good reason. In those typical, 10-per-game instances where the CF and CB are rushing towards the edge of the box/corner flag and there's shoulder contact, I would bet 99/100 times the linesman rules it against Lukaku sheerly due to his size alone. If the CB hits the deck, Rom's throwing his weight around and its a free-kick.

Replace Lukaku with say, Vardy, in those exact same situations and the linesman's perspective changes completely from 'CF throwing his weight around' to 'plucky terrier giving as good as he gets' and no free-kick is given.

He's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Either gets criticised for giving the CB an easy ride or gives away a free-kick and possibly gets booked. His size means he'll very. very rarely be given the benefit of the doubt.​

J_Red 11

Fact: He has only scored 2 league goals (Bournemouth & Everton) against top 10 sides!! If it's last week or two weeks ago when Bournemouth was still below Watford, it would have only 1 league goal. Sums it up really, only scored against the lesser team, struggle to even get goals against the mid table & top 6. Those decent defenders know how to deal with Lukaku.

Hansa

What use are his physical attributes when he doesn't know how to use them? Martial looks 10x stronger on the ball then he does. As does Sanchez, and they're way smaller then him. Lukaku gets shrugged off the ball way too easily and struggles with high balls way more then he should for his size. Being big means feck all when you don't know how to use your body.

Also saying Lukaku doesn't have teammates eager to attack in numbers? What? Martial, rashford, lingard, pogba and now Sanchez too. Lukaku doesn't have the talent to keep up with them more like.
Listen, I don't think he's done particularly well, but he should be a menace to defenders, if he could just get rid of that insecurity I feel's hampering him. If anything, he's too nice. How often have you seen him get into a real tussle?

As for your second point, I hope you're not equating our attacking play with that of Barcelona, Bayern or City. We're nowhere near. How often haven't you seen us on the attack with only Lukaku (and maybe another player) in the box, waiting for the inevitable hoofball. No, he may not be on the same level as the very, very best in the world (we've rarely had those kinds of players), but we're not exactly making life easy for our strikers post-Fergie.

Devil81

Not a fan I'm afraid, he's a standing target and he couldn't control a medicine ball. Considering his transfer value he's not the level you'd be expecting.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I think we all really, really want him to get up to the standard we should see in a United number 9, but I'm just not seeing much improvement.

It's weird, he's better at some things than I thought he'd be - like passing, vision and crossing, but miles worse at what he should be good at - crap in the air, can't hold the ball up and his timing of runs is appalling.

Still he's relatively young, obviously in great physical shape and is surrounded by some great trainers and teammates. One hopes he can get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.